• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and The Blind Forest | Review Thread

RoKKeR

Here we go! I'll make it pretty later.

maxresdefault.jpg

Metacritic - 89

Kotaku - YES

Gamespot - 9/10
It's important, however, not to mistake Ori and the Blind Forest for being simply beautiful. It certainly is--but it is also unceasingly clever. It consistently surprises you with new tricks: gravitational divergences, new ways to move through its spaces, and carefully designed levels that require you to think quickly and respond. It is not as snappy as, say, a typical Mario platformer, seeking instead a broader gameplay arc stretching across a single, interconnected world. It's a superb and thematically consistent approach that allows Ori and the Blind Forest to build joy on a bed of heartache, adding a new layer of mechanical complexity with each ray of hope.

Polygon - 9/10
Ori and the Blind Forest is a rare realization of fantastic design and production values in a space where I wasn't expecting to find it, displaying a spectacular level of confidence in what it is and what it does. And here's where we come back to wishing I hadn't reviewed it as quickly as I had to. It's a game that provides so much to explore and appreciate, and I would have liked to have taken just a little more time than I was able.

IGN - 8.5/10
Bigger and tougher than it looks, Ori and the Blind Forest is a beautifully realized, brilliantly designed, and at times brutally difficult sylvan Metroidvania-style platformer with enough charm to leave a lasting impression. It's often frustrating and sometimes confusing, but its spectacular platforming, memorable world, and engrossing story wash those concerns away.

GameInformer - 9.5/10
Ori and the Blind Forest is one of the best games of the year, and should be a no-brainer for anyone looking for an exciting new adventure to dive into. That said, it comes with a warning: Expect to be humbled by its difficulty. Death comes quickly. Over and over, you’re going to watch an adorable little creature perish because you had a moment of indecision or your skills failed you. Again, nothing about this experience feels unfair. Some of the long scripted sequences are enormously challenging – to the point that you’ll likely repeat every swear word that you know.

Destructoid - 9.5/10
Every so often I come across a game that just makes me smile. I mean, I play videogames almost daily because I have fun doing it, but certain titles have me grinning from ear to ear the entire journey for a myriad of different reasons. Ori and the Blind Forest is one of those games. It's just plain enjoyable from start to finish, and doesn't waste your time.

GamesRadar - 4/5
Equal parts charm and challenge, Ori and the Blind Forest makes some harsh demands but pays off with its stellar presentation. Its atmosphere is phenomenal, with the kind of universal appeal that's rarely found in games - from the way the backgrounds feel like living environments, to the uplifting music and touching cinematic moments. Completing Ori's six-to-nine-hour journey will certainly leave you feeling warm, fuzzy, and accomplished - just be ready to dig in for some particularly trying segments.

US Gamer - 4/5
While it stumbles over its own ambition far more than it should, Ori and the Blind Forest bursts with both detail and passion. At times it's less a game you play than one you force your way through despite your better judgment, but the parts where it all works together make it worth the pain. And wow, does it look good.

GameSided - 9/10
Ori and the Blind Forest, even in its early 2015 release, is already a strong game of the year candidate. Exquisite is its composition, as the hot-cold pacing of exciting platforming action mixed with thought-enticing puzzles and exploration is a sought after quality. Small blemishes in replayability and rare framerate dips should not overshadow the bigger picture, as players can expect to be fully immersed in a somber, yet enrapturing world full of wonder.

VentureBeat - 9.5/10
I loved every second of Ori and the Blind Forest. It’s as fun as it is pretty, which is an incredible achievement when its one of the most gorgeous games I’ve ever seen. If you’ve ever enjoyed a 2D sidescroller, you’ll definitely appreciate what developer Moon Studios has done here. If you’re a fan of Metroidvania-style games, you’ll find an experience that easily joins the ranks of Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night.

NeoSeeker - 9/10
Without a doubt, Ori and the Blind Forest is one of the biggest surprises we’ll see in 2015. On the surface, it’s a gorgeous platformer brimming with style and story, drawing curious players in with all its charm and intuitive design. In truth, this is a sprawling adventure that dares to play with our emotions and taunts us with never-ending challenges. I can say with absolute certainty that Ori is already one of my favorite games of the year.

DigitalChumps - 7/10
Ori and the Blind Forest imparts a beautiful and intricate framework of the platforming and progression that came to define latter day Castlevania and Metroid titles, but it can't muster the same technical and design prowess to fuel its own ideas. This leaves Ori as an adequate model of its revered genre, just short of the execution and innovation that could have made it exemplary.

We Got This Covered - 4/5
All in all, though, Ori and the Blind Forest is a noteworthy and well above-average game, which mixes fantastic visual presentation with haunting and perfectly fitting music. Not only is it lengthy, but it’s also budget-priced at twenty dollars, making it a steal in comparison to some triple-A games that offer less content for more money. It’s not without its faults, however, and definitely won’t be for everyone.

XboxGamer - 10/10
. I seriously struggle to find a fault worth mentioning or that isn’t completely overshadowed by the games praises. I’ll be playing for awhile so I’ll update the review if I run into something negative. I don’t normally do this but instead of recommending it I’m going to strongly suggest that you buy it as soon as you’re financial situation allows. If not, you’re very likely missing out on the Game of the Year for 2015.

Congrats to the team at Moon Studios, looks like they've made quite the game.

Karak

I gave it a Buy.
Best soundtrack so far of the entire year and a simply insanely good game. Awesome platforming and some unique aspects that I think we will see other games use from now on.

It will explode some heads from the difficulty at times though. Damn.

I'm so happy that this is getting good reception, like any game that gets good reception. I was fearing for a while that this game was too good to be true.

excited to pay the $20. Encourage Microsoft to continue the IP and to reward the developers for their hard work that looks to have paid off.

Beat me to it!

Time to read now. I'm a little concerned about the high difficulty (Super Metroid, good as it is, is not a hard game), but I also just beat Rex Rocket which is a motherfucker of a game. I'll probably like it regardless.

McDougles

Sounds like the difficulty proved frustrating for some.

It's definitely a good kind of frustrating. With save points mandated by the player, too. Very hands off. I have no doubt some will find trouble with that if they only know video games from last-gen on.

Karak

Sounds like the difficulty proved frustrating for some.

It can be for sure. As an old gamer from back in the 2600 days until now even I found a few sections nut crunching. But then you will occasionally get into the flow of everything and pull off some amazing moves. The game is simply breathtaking and most importantly FUN.

Begaria

It's been on my Steam wishlist since it went up on Steam. Sadly, it's going to have to wait for awhile before I buy/play it due to time constraints right now and some other games hitting this month that I'm going to dig in to.

Lingitiz

It can be for sure. As an old gamer from back in the 2600 days until now even I found a few sections nut crunching. But then you will occasionally get into the flow of everything and pull off some amazing moves. The game is simply breathtaking and most importantly FUN.

Good to hear. I would rather have the game be challenging than super easy. which is sort of what I was expecting. Glad to see they went in the other direction.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Great reviews so far. Congrats to the team!

Love that this is getting positive reviews. I've managed to keep myself fairly spoiler free in terms of gameplay. Only have seen the trailer and behind the music video they did.

Can't wait to play this tomorrow!

Probably not the thread for it but I cant see the OT yet and I was wondering if this has a DRM free GOG version too? Dont wanna buy it on Steam.

Top Bottom