• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and The Blind Forest | Review Thread

mdubs

Banned
Inb4 people complaining about the game being $20 when it is 7-12 hours long. This game will be great value if the review scores are any indication.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
Difficulty in and of itself isn't bad. Difficulty that gets me screaming expletives isn't fun, though.

I'm also unsure about the save system. I understand that you basically collect energy and use that energy to make your own save points. But the problem with creating my own save points, especially when they're limited, is that I don't know where the hard parts are. What if I use up all of my saves by point 5, but there are 20 points and now I have to do a long stretch without saving? On the other hand, if I rarely save, then I also have to do long stretches without saving. I'd rather leave the checkpointing in the hands of the developers, who know when the hard parts are coming up.

I'm still going to get it, though.

Nah, it doesn't work like that. Save energy is a renewable resource, and you can unlock a skill that cuts its cost in half. These aren't typewriter ribbons or Tomb Raider save crystals.

B_tKYp1UgAEIvZb.jpg

Looks like glory.

Navy Bean

That does happen. For me sometimes even worse is I would NOT have enough energy to save and I had just cleared a very hard section and the next section was a sort of "seat of your pants clench-o-thon" Regardless after each section I simply couldn't stop playing even if at times I wanted to headbutt something.
This is trivial but in your video review you pronounce it Or-EYE. I always thought it was Or-E. Anyways, nice review.

Corpekata

Banned
I assume the provided review code was on X1. Tends to happen with multiplat games, the platform that the reviewer plays it on will get most of the focus.

They usually lists all of the platforms and mark out which one was reviewed. He's not asking for them to review both versions, he's pointing out its' weird nobody is listing it.

Karak

Kotaku also saying no new ideas or features makes me think they didn't really think through their negatives lol

Wait...what? I am trying to even fathom that. Unless they are like "This game is on a screen just like other games therefor nothing NEW!"

Is difficulty considered a negative now? The fact that it's challenging makes me even more excited for this.

Have you seen game journalists play platformers? lol

So the one low score knocked it for story... weird. It's a Metroidvania.

Review look amazing overall, though. Congrats Thomas and friends!

Metroidvania? I thought it was just a platformer? Not gonna lie I'd be even more excited if it had elements of the former.

Whoa...looks like great fun...Indy guys still knocking it out the park, like to see the new ideas.

Pick this up on Steam whenever I finish Child of Light.

Have you seen game journalists play platformers? lol

Metroidvania? I thought it was just a platformer? Not gonna lie I'd be even more excited if it had elements of the former.

Has ability unlocks with an upgrade tree and exploration style 'general direction of where to go but you got to find it' mission list i believe.

As in you explore a 2D map

High praise from noogy:

Dean Dodrill ‏@NoogyTweet 22s22 seconds ago

So far reviews for Ori have been glowing, and I can say with confidence that it's the most beautiful 2D game ever made.

Dean Dodrill ‏@NoogyTweet 1m1 minute ago

The excellent 'Ori and the Blind Forest' is almost here! I've played it, and you should too: http://store.steampowered.com/app/261570/ @OriBlindForest

Wait...what? I am trying to even fathom that. Unless they are like "This game is on a screen just like other games therefor nothing NEW!"

Yeah like I said, seemed like a real stretch to note that compared to other reviews lol.

Almost as if the boxout was written by someone other than the reviewer that played the game, or was cut and paste from a different review

Noogy

I've had the pleasure to have plenty of hands-on with the game and the reviews are well deserved. Easily the best looking 2D game ever made, along with an incredible soundtrack. I hope the game really takes off.

Smellycat

I really want to play this game! It looks spectacular and a classic. But I don't have an xbox one or a PC, and I can't afford either. :(

Top Bottom