• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and The Blind Forest | Review Thread

Jomjom

Banned
Ok , the last few games that have been released for Xbox one have scored really well.

Nearly every Xbone true exclusive or console exclusive have scores incredibly high (and the only one that didnt deserve it was MCC). I dont see the trend ending anytime soon either with Forza 6, ROTTR, QB, and Halo 5 coming. Crazy that MS will probably have a really good chance to beat Nintendo for average metacritic scores for exclusives.

But yes, if they're smart Ori could be a nice addition to their stable, if they fully own the IP that is.

Thomas had this to say when someone commented that it sucked for them that moon studios didn't own the IP...

Nah, we wouldn't have been able to make a game like Ori otherwise. I already have to tip my hat to Microsoft simply because it wasn't possible for most people (Including Koji Igarashi) to make a AAA Metroidvania... But Microsoft believed in our vision, funded Ori and did the distribution, so really, it was a really good deal fo rus and we're happy with our decision.

Microsoft has been putting a lot of weight behind Ori after E3 last year, so that's obviously a cool thing for us.

Also, I hope MS will end up doing more with the actual IP. I'd love to see Ori being adapted to film, comic books, etc. - I think the world we crafted has an enormous amount of potential and I hope they're making use of all the IPs they're grabbing ;) :D

Moon studios will absolutely be remembered for their work here and that is a huge win for them.

Now bring on the Ori paraphernalia MS! I want my plushie!

nice to see it getting good reviews. the first reveal instantly piqued my interest, and the art and soundtrack from the recent trailer sold me. i'm not big on platformers, but this looks like something that'll appeal to the 2D animation bones in me. i hope there are lower difficulty settings because i'd like to experience the visu-aural stimulation before getting my ass whooped.

Chris1

Nice! Cant wait to get this on Steam.

I've said this seemingly everytime MS releases an exclusive and it seems it's apt here again: whoever at MS decides which games to fund as exclusives has an AMAZING eye for quality.
Agreed, they have been nailing it with exclusives quality lately.. Whoever that person is deserves a raise.

reKon

Banned
Agreed, they have been nailing it with exclusives quality lately.. Whoever that person is deserves a raise.

What? Are there any that I've missed out on because I feel like I would hear more about them on GAF. Xbox One has more quality exclusives, but it's not like it's a lot..

This isn't ID@Xbox.

It's a Microsoft Games Studio game.

I think people are just confused b/c it started out Indy before being bought by MS early on, and it still feels sorta like an indy game due to the unorthodox development with folks all over the planet contributing and sharing work over the net.

Gestault

I'm really glad to see the reviews coming out positive. This is something I've been looking forward to based on the trailers/gameplay videos, but it's hard to tell sometimes where the presentation ends and the fun begins. Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet sort of fell into this gulf for me.

I think people are just confused b/c it started out Indy before being bought by MS early on, and it still feels sorta like an indy game due to the unorthodox development with folks all over the planet contributing and sharing work over the net.

It was never shown off as an indie game.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

Yeah, I was gonna say the same, the first time this was shown it was already a MS game. I'm pretty sure they were involved from early on but we'd need Thomas to clarify.

No, Mr Contrarian, it wasn't, but it started out that way. I never said it was revealed as an indie game, only that it started out that way, which it did. IIRC MS got involved in the first year, and it has been in development for 3 years since.

Also, despite it being a MS studios game, it still has a feel surrounding it that is distinctly different from the AAA "big publisher" and "big studio" games out there.

I think you're really trying a touch too hard with this whole Ori publishing identity. At the end of the day, who gives a shit. It's a fantastic game (apparently, as I've yet to play it myself, but I doubt I'll be disappointed), and quite obviously a feather in MS's hat.

watership

MS has the IP, but I think really need to scoop up Moon Studios. You know Sony will be talking to them after this. And since Sony buys studios far more often than MS does, that could actually happen.

Jomjom

Banned
What? Are there any that I've missed out on because I feel like I would hear more about them on GAF. Xbox One has more quality exclusives, but it's not like it's a lot..

DR3, KI, F5, F2H, SO, Idarb, MCC, super time force, titanfall, D4, Fantasia, and now Ori.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Nearly every Xbone true exclusive or console exclusive have scores incredibly high (and the only one that didnt deserve it was MCC). I dont see the trend ending anytime soon either with Forza 6, ROTTR, QB, and Halo 5 coming. Crazy that MS will probably have a really good chance to beat Nintendo for average metacritic scores for exclusives.

Fable Legends will be the one that breaks it, but at least that's free. :p

Or perhaps you just refuse to recognize them.

DR3, KI, F5, FH2, SO, Idarb, MCC, super time force, titanfall, D4, Fantasia.

I dunno if I'd include MCC in there lol.... it was a shit show. And adding Ori to that list, even without MCC, means 11 quality exclusives in ... 15 months give or take?

That's not bad, averaging a quality exclusive every 5 weeks or so isn't shabby at all.

It also has the excluvie TrueAchievements app. Not a joke. I really think that app is great for achievement hunters. PS4 needs it for trophy bucks. But yeah... that's not a game.

#consolewars
/sarcasm

Jomjom

Banned
Or perhaps you just refuse to recognize them.

I dunno if I'd include MCC in there lol.... it was a shit show. And adding Ori to that list means 10 quality exclusives in ... 15 months give or take?

That's not bad, averaging a quality exclusive every 6 weeks isn't shabby at all.

Yeah I said it didnt really deserve it but its metacritic is 85.

Would love to see Ori top the list on the xbone metacritic!

er, i did. the hell? how does that work?

Well I'm no expert but unless something changed, the wording on the wiki was that every rock, every tree, etc, are all unique. No asset is 'duplicated' elsewhere in the game like a lot of platformers and metroidvanias. It was a quote from one of the game designers IIRC. Work firewalls suck or I'd look it up for you.

Jomjom

Banned
Well I'm no expert but unless something changed, the wording on the wiki was that every rock, every tree, etc, are all unique. No asset is 'duplicated' elsewhere in the game like a lot of platformers and metroidvanias. It was a quote from one of the game designers IIRC. Work firewalls suck or I'd look it up for you.

W.O.W. Did not know that about the game.

ryan299

What's the length of the game? I saw one review say its short, but on twitter somebody said 10-15 hours. just curious

Daigoro

that sounds crazy. i want to believe. either way, the game is amazing looking. cant wait to see it in person.

W.O.W. Did not know that about the game.

that sounds crazy. i want to believe. either way, the game is amazing looking. cant wait to see it in person.

Indeed. Found it and emailed it to myself on my phone (phone doesn't do GAF well).

The game takes place in one large map, and is planned to be rendered at 1080P and 60 frames per second with no visible loading time as the player explores.[4][8] According to Mahler, the game's backgrounds are all individual components, with none duplicated as in other similar titles. As an example, Mahler explained, "You see this tree in the background and this mushroom and this rock? That's the one and only place you'll ever see those assets.

10-13 hours.

For your first playthrough. If you expect to conquer the 'no deaths', 3-hr speedrun, and 'no upgrades' achievements/trophies, expect to spend significantly more.

I've sent a request to a mod to be the architect of the OT for the game if it's not too late and already spoken for. It probably is. :(

Noobcraft

I'm not saying the game itself wasn't going to be good, but just the reviews would be a lot harsher.
It's stuck at 89 on MC, only 4 of 19 reviews are lower than 90: (85,80,80,70). I think it's pretty much stuck there unless it gets another 95 or 100.

Jomjom

Banned
I'm not saying the game itself wasn't going to be good, but just the reviews would be a lot harsher.

To see all that done by a small team and especially where the devs were all spread out, i felt the reviewers would definitely respect the craftsmanship and score it high.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Great scores. This shall be mine as soon as it goes up on the marketplace.

Derpyduck

Banned
Just reviews being "harsh" on games recently. I wasn't expecting 1886's scores, but less than 9's.

I guess it was baseless looking back on it.

The Order previewed horribly for about a year. Ori has previewed really well since E3. Not sure the scores for either game are a big surprise.

Just reviews being "harsh" on games recently. I wasn't expecting 1886's scores, but less than 9's.

I guess it was baseless looking back on it.

Well if we're going to use a numbers system, as antiquated as it is, the vast majority of games BETTER be scoring in the 6 to 7 range. I mean if you think about it, a 7 is essentially 70%, which is the low end of a C-average. If you're gonna compare it to school, a C-average is passing but not good, a B is good but not great, and an A is great (90% or above in college here in the states).

In the past, so many games getting in the 80-90 range was VERY misleading, because the quality differed vastly from one title to the next. Most games are average, and that's ok. Average isn't BAD. It's just average. Every game can't be great, and most games aren't even going to be good. They're just going to be average. That's why it's called average lol.

In the past, if a game scored a 6/10, it was avoid-at-all-costs, which is absurd because that should be reserved for games that score less than 5/10. 6/10 is a poor game, but not a bottom-feeder. A student getting 6/10 still passes with a D average. It's substandard, but not atrocious. Still, it was exceedingly rare to see a 6/10 review, and games could almost guarantee they'd get at least a 7/10 or 8/10 if they merely functioned as advertised.

It's a major reason why the numbers system has failed us, because reviewers weren't being honest enough. Perhaps now, the 'tougher' reviews just mean that they're trying to be more honest, and more objective. Personally I've gone as far as giving one game in particular a 1/10. Most games score in the 6 to 7 range for me, as I feel most games are average. They don't stand out from the pack.

Ori seems to be shaping up to be a standout, so an 89/100 is perfectly fair and nothing to be ashamed of, if you consider that it SHOULD be difficult to score a 90, and they're damn close. Annual rehashes should not be scoring in the 90s because they aren't standing out. They're just that kid that keeps coming back to class, day in and day out, doing exactly what is expected of him but not rising above. They should be in the upper 70s to low 80s, aka average and sometimes slightly above average, but not standout or groundbreaking in any way. The problem is everyone uses those games as their basis of comparison, and everything gets all muddied up.

If Ori stays in the upper 80s, it is likely to be genuinely deserved, unlike many games in that same range (such as MCC for instance).

I missed the news that this was a Metroidvania. With that, the 12 hour+ length, $20, amazing art and review scores this is now a purchase the second the game goes on sale. Can't wait! Hopefully MS keeps the franchise going.

Top Bottom