• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and The Blind Forest | Review Thread

It's certainly a tough game. I didn't expect it to be as challenging as it is.

I'm hoping to beat it before launch, so as to put up a review. I just made it to the second 'dungeon,' though.

Orca

So excited.

And the (to me unexpected) news of high difficulty is just icing on the cake. Bring it on!

Two friends have beaten it, both took eight hours - one has 326 deaths, the other 125. So it doesn't seem like dying slows you down too badly.

derFeef

Good for Thomas and his Moon Studio guys, he's a passionate and fastidious worker ;)
Will buy this "Austrian" game just to feel a little proud, heh. Looks and sounds excellent.

Two friends have beaten it, both took eight hours - one has 326 deaths, the other 125. So it doesn't seem like dying slows you down too badly.

I'm looking forward to seeing how many I'll end with. It'll probably be closer to your first friend's, because I'm not great at these types of games and have also caused myself to perish quite a few times in order to restart with more health.

Some of the platforming can be pretty damned tricky, though.

Ori and the Blind Forest imparts a beautiful and intricate framework of the platforming and progression that came to define latter day Castlevania and Metroid titles, but it can't muster the same technical and design prowess to fuel its own ideas.

I've read this a few times and I still don't understand what it means...

Seanspeed

Banned
Resting on the shoulders of giants rather than paving its own path.

Anyways, sounds like they knocked this out of the park in pretty much every other way. Length, challenge, controls, beauty. It sounds magnificent. I wish I could get it but I've simply got way too much on my plate right now, especially with Cities Skylines coming out today.

VRMN

I'd wager the reviewer's trying to say that what it pulls from other games in this style it does great, but what little it attempts to do that's original it doesn't handle as well. At least that's how I read it...haven't played it myself, so can't say for sure, but I liked what I saw of the...recoil? mechanic, which is the one thing I've seen in Ori footage that I can't say I've seen in another game. Not sure I'd dock it that hard for polishing those old ideas with a mirror sheen after applying a beautiful paint coat, but to each their own.

Lemondish

Awesome. I'll pick it up in a steam sale. Art looks great and it sounds like something special. Great pickup by MS. I'll be following these guys for a bit now.

Congrats to the devs. Looks to be receiving very well and I can't wait to play it. Surprised about the difficulty though! Not that I mind at all, in fact it makes me even more interested. I just wasn't expecting it to be a difficult game. Hurry up Steam I need to put my money down!

ryushe

Ori, you had my curiosity but now you have my attention.

Might just pick it up later on. Any difference between the XB1 and Steam versions?

Percy

Banned
This is all making me think of Never Alone again, which is a game I really wish I'd waited to get in a sale. This is similarly a bit too expensive to risk a buy at release, so I might hold off. Looks nice though.

Excuse my ignorance but is this going for retail or digital? And how large is the size of the file?

Digital only. And i believe it was arround 8gb. Saw it on the xbox store a couple of days. Cant find it now anymore for some reason.

Austria apparently gets a retail disc in the bundle.

I am cry. Ebay here I come.

This is all making me think of Never Alone again, which is a game I really wish I'd waited to get in a sale. This is similarly a bit too expensive to risk a buy at release, so I might hold off. Looks nice though.

Too expensive? It's 20 bucks lol. That's chump change for a 12+ hour first run and plenty of additional runs to nab the more challenging stuff.

Even if you JUST spend 12 hours in it, that's just over $1.65 per hour for your entertainment. That's a damn steal.

Seanspeed

Banned
Never Alone did not receive this level of praise. There was that *one* 10/10 review(which had its own thread and may be coloring your impressions), but other than that, its reviews were only lukewarm.

nib95

Banned
Fantastic reviews. Had a feeling this game would be special, it always looked it every time we saw it. Back log is pretty massive at the moment, but as soon as I clear some of it I'll likely pick this up.

Durante

I don't really get the Never Alone comparison. That is a (optionally co-op) short and linear platformer (with a wonderful art style). This is a single player Metroidvania which is quite a bit longer judging from all reports. I guess it has the fact that the art style is wonderful in common (even though the actual styles are very different).

wouwie

Great reviews, as expected. The game screamed quality from the moment it was first announced.

I hope it will be up on Steam EU tomorrow though (steam indicates Thursday at 00:00).

I don't really get the Never Alone comparison. That is a (optionally co-op) short and linear platformer (with a wonderful art style). This is a single player Metroidvania which is quite a bit longer judging from all reports. I guess it has the fact that the art style is wonderful in common (even though the actual styles are very different).

It's a comparison that's meant to diminish the games worth, appeal and critical reception.

Never Alone is seen as a wonderful, yet short and ultimately forgettable experience that perhaps received more praise than it truly warranted.

That's what the comparison means. I expect Percy to claim otherwise, that pretty much goes without saying...

SgtCobra

wonder if Ori or Bloodborne will get the highest metacritic in march. Is this a timed exclusive or is it never coming to PS4 ?
Kenzo pls. Not like this.

Both are two completely different games which are (going to be) reviewed for what they are. Bloodborne is a 60 dollar action RPG a la Souls and Ori is a 20 dollar Metroidvania which is meant to be a "somewhat" bite sized game (even though it's pretty long for what you pay imo)

These scores make me eager to try the game out, tomorrow can't come soon enough.

I fully expect some salt to show up here eventually (did it already?). Can't use imgur at work or I'd break out a pic of the street crew salt trucks from our lovely winters of late.

A lot of times the reviewers and gamers disagree, at least to an extent. But so far I haven't spoken with a single person that has played it early (sometimes via questionable methods, which peeves me a bit) that didn't love it. Just over 12 more hours...

Top Bottom