• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and The Blind Forest | Review Thread

Wow this sounds even better than I hoped.

I haven't seen much footage since its reveal but I just watched the launch trailer on steam and I'm blown away. All I've got is a 5770 but I have to give this a shot.

U2NUMB

Thanks but what's the point of these codes when you could just buy Xbox gift cards with your best buy gift card?

Well for one.. I dont think they sell $20 or even $10 dollar cards.. so if I did not want to buy more than I needed this works.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Just 10 more hours!

I have an Intel Core i7 3770 and GTX 660. I also have an Xbox One. Is there a clear answer as to how the Xbox One version compares to the PC? Are they identical? I'd rather play it on the Xbox One.

Theorry

I have an Intel Core i7 3770 and GTX 660. I also have an Xbox One. Is there a clear answer as to how the Xbox One version compares to the PC? Are they identical? I'd rather play it on the Xbox One.

Its 1080p and 60fps on Xbox One. Dont think they will be identical. But from what i saw the One version looks still incredible. So if you want to play on that you still cant go wrong.
Edit: Damn what the rest say haha.

cheezcake

X1 is 1080p60, I don't think things any in game settings will be downgraded from the PC version given the nature of the game but I guess I can't be sure. I'll be getting it on my X1 over my PC though (have a gtx 970)

Edit: Beaten like 4 times in a minute.

Derpyduck

Banned
1080p 60fps on XB1, so you really can't go wrong with that version.

The main negative I'm seeing listed for the Xbox One version is occasional framerate issues. Might not bother some people, but it's a huge pet peeve of mine. Ruined Max and the Curse of Brotherhood for me. I don't currently own an Xbox One, but I'm buying this game when it's available anyway to support the devs and games like this. I just hope by the time I do get to play, they've addressed the performance issues.

Naminator

Banned
Looking good so far. Can't flipping wait!

SereneBeautifulArizonaalligatorlizard.gif

May or may not be indicative of in game play.

Man that goat is a dick!

Syrus

Banned
Another damn fine xbox game. Xbox is killing it with quality xbox games. Hope they keep this up over the next year's

I think I'll pick this up at full price to support the devs for sure. Dont have alot of time but they deserve good sales

Azlan

Wow. Excellent reviews.congratulations to Moon Studios for delivering such a well received game.It really seems like Ori was a labor of love. I am looking forward to checking it out myself soon.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
The soundtrack is up on Xbox Music now. I know some people last night were waiting for that like me.

What time can I download this to my xbox?!

At 5PM PDT, just over 9.5 hours from now.

Seems like this is going to be as solid as I'd hoped if not stronger still, been checking out some reviews from those that I tend to gel with, it's interesting to note that on the slightly negative front the weaknesses appear to be some moments of trial and error like design and it being "safe" for its genre.
Now trial and error can be a funny term when it comes to platformers, sometimes getting thrown about a bit too eagerly, still with the game's unique checkpointing system I wouldn't be surprised if they throw some sucker punches every now and then so I'm interested to see how the difficulty pans out on a whole.
As for it not breaking much new ground, well that should be fine by me if it executes the fundamentals strongly, I'm hoping that the world itself really plays to the sub genre's strengths and doesn't fall into the trap of being a metroidvania for the sake of being a metroidvania if that makes sense.

In any case I'm gutted that I can't play this sooner, taking the opening excerpt from Chris Carter's review at Destructoid makes me think this could be a real hit with me.
Every so often I come across a game that just makes me smile. I mean, I play videogames almost daily because I have fun doing it, but certain titles have me grinning from ear to ear the entire journey for a myriad of different reasons.

Ori and the Blind Forest is one of those games. It's just plain enjoyable from start to finish, and doesn't waste your time.
Never underestimate the power of the grin.
In any case those are strong reviews, nice to see the hard work pay off for Moon Studios.

BokehKing

Banned
I want to buy it, but I may save it for a couple months, I don't think my Xbox One will be getting any other games until halo 5, so it will be nice to save a gem you know? A rainy day in June perhaps

I really don't understand Kotaku or reviewers in general anymore. Not the score itself because I'm positive the game deserves the scores but they say its too short and then to go and say they beat it in 12-15 hours? 15 hours? How is that to short especially for an indie game?!?

Derpyduck

Banned
I really don't understand Kotaku or reviewers in general anymore. Not the score itself because I'm positive the game deserves the scores but too short and then to go and say they beat it in 12-15 hours? 15 hours? How is that to short especially for an indie game?!?

I think he defended that, or tried to lessen the impact of it, by saying it felt short because he didn't want it to end. So essentially a positive wrapped in a negative.

I think he defended that, or tried to lessen the impact of it, by saying it felt short because he didn't want it to end. So essentially a positive wrapped in a negative.

Ahhh thats a little bit better. But still, what do these reviewers want lengthwise?! 20 hour games every time?

Seriously though this game does look fantastic and when I do get an XBONE I am 100 percent getting this.

alouette

Exactly my thoughts - was about to write this 😃
At least, somebody has to write something negative. A subtle way, but well executed 👍

Ahhh thats a little bit better. But still, what do these reviewers want lengthwise?! 20 hour games every time?

Seriously though this game does look fantastic and when I do get an XBONE I am 100 percent getting this.

The game is by no means short, especially if exploring and challenges are your type of thing (and face it, with how beautiful this game is, you won't want to rush through it).

The main game should take you anywhere from 12-15 hours, and you will die...maybe even a lot. You will sometimes forget to set your manual save point and you may get "lost", but take it all in.

Think of your first run as an introduction, because there are 3 tougher achievements that you may want to go for in seperate runs... One for beating the game in 3 hours, another for beating the game with no death, and another for beating the game without spending points in the skill tree...all which should be challenging, but fun, once you beat the game your first time.

Dunlop

Awesome,

I was looking for something to buy (my $25 GC for buying a Stream 7 is only good for 90 days) and totally forgot about this game

Amir0x

Banned

I mean to me the mark of a game is not how long it is but how interesting it is in the time it uses.

Journey finally put to death the idea that I can only approach games from a traditional fashion, high-score skill requirement challenging products. I love those games, but when you take a game like Journey you know it's simple. It's leading your hand down a few pretty landscapes and then you interpret the story. The visuals are sumptuous and mesmerizing, and at times the marriage of graphics, gameplay and story have such impact it very nearly can take your breath away (sunset surfing; what happens in the immediate aftermath of you collapsing in the snow). But the game is short, at 2 hours at best. And I wondered why that would be... then I played it. And I started journeying and very quickly I met up with a random stranger. We were both equally new at this (played the demo that's all), but we quickly learned how to riff off one another's chirping to essentially fly. We searched the landscapes and shared secrets we found. We stayed together through the journey and when we reached that snowy mountain top and
he collapses, I actually felt like I lost something. What was going on?
That connection I made to a complete stranger captivated me. It was unlike any experience I had in a game.

Then I realized that's why it's 2 hours long. Because that's essentially the amount of time a reasonable person should be expected to sit in front of a television and get through a story without it getting uncomfortable and you have to break for eye strain or bathroom or whatever. It's movie length. And the game is absolutely a miracle because of that stranger interaction, if you were so lucky to have a good firsts stranger interaction.

So it determined its value and showcased why it was absolutely worth the price even though it was 2 hours. I think Ori could similarly showcase that. Being long doesn't matter if your game still sucks you know

RoKKeR

Dancrane, any ETA on the OT? I feel like you're good to put it up now that it'll be out on XBO later today.

Additionally, I know as a whole we should be shying away from Metecritic in general, but Ori is now the 3rd highest rated game on XBO to date, 2nd if you don't count the GTA V port. Given how reviewers are finally seeming to lower some of the review score inflation that became so rampant last gen that is extremely impressive, good work Moon!

1080p 60fps on XB1, so you really can't go wrong with that version.

Xbox One version is 1080p/60, and I think it's at the max settings.

Its 1080p and 60fps on Xbox One. Dont think they will be identical. But from what i saw the One version looks still incredible. So if you want to play on that you still cant go wrong.
Edit: Damn what the rest say haha.

X1 is 1080p60, I don't think things any in game settings will be downgraded from the PC version given the nature of the game but I guess I can't be sure. I'll be getting it on my X1 over my PC though (have a gtx 970)

Edit: Beaten like 4 times in a minute.

Haha, thanks, everyone. It looks like I'll be OK getting the Xbox One version.

Top Bottom