• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and The Blind Forest | Review Thread

Theorry

Kotaku review says that the game is a tad short, isn't this like a £14.99 title? that they also say lasts 12-15 hours?

Reviewer said i believe afterwards that he "found it to short" because he didnt want the game to end. So its positive really. But abit weird to do it that way.

nib95

Banned
Kotaku review says that the game is a tad short, isn't this like a £14.99 title? that they also say lasts 12-15 hours?

12-15 hours, especially for £15, is not short lol. I'd say that was solid value for money. It's not like the production values are lacking either.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry if it has already been asked, but is it still planned for X360 also? I can't find any recent news about this version... I really hope so: I need to play this game!

Theorry

Hmmm, thought they did. Read it on IGN here a bit back:

http://www.ign.com/companies/moon-studios

"Nah, we wouldn't have been able to make a game like Ori otherwise. I already have to tip my hat to Microsoft simply because it wasn't possible for most people (Including Koji Igarashi) to make a AAA Metroidvania... But Microsoft believed in our vision, funded Ori and did the distribution, so really, it was a really good deal fo rus and we're happy with our decision.
Microsoft has been putting a lot of weight behind Ori after E3 last year, so that's obviously a cool thing for us.
Also, I hope MS will end up doing more with the actual IP. I'd love to see Ori being adapted to film, comic books, etc. - I think the world we crafted has an enormous amount of potential and I hope they're making use of all the IPs they're grabbing"

VanWinkle

Wondering the length of the game now. People in here keep mentioning 12-15 hours from the Kotaku review but are completely ignoring that Gamesradar says it's 6-9 hours.

iFirez

I posted this in the trailer topic but it seems the discussion has moved here...

Do we know if this is getting released at the same time on Steam/PC as it is the Xbox?

It isn't available for Pre-order on steam (http://store.steampowered.com/app/261570/) and the countdown is counting to midnight on the 12th (not the 11th which is only 6 hours way)... Either way I have Cities Skylines to keep me busy until then.

Wondering the length of the game now. People in here keep mentioning 12-15 hours from the Kotaku review but are completely ignoring that Gamesradar says it's 6-9 hours.
Still pretty good for $20. A movie ticket is $10 for 3 hours at most.
So it is 6 if you rush, 10 if you don't.

Gestault

Oooh, nice statistically-meaningless-but-still-noteworthy bump to a 90 on the Metacritic.

QKYBgs9.png

RoKKeR

Oooh, nice statistically-meaningless-but-still-noteworthy bump to a 90 on the Metacritic.

QKYBgs9.png
Considering that makes it the highest rated next gen original game to release so far on XBO and PS4, (I think) I'd say it's pretty noteworthy.

I'd love for a games version of Rotten Tomatoes, but this industry is so focused on particular scores I doubt it would ever replace Metacritic.

see5harp

Ya'll really need to get on Bing Rewards. You end up getting stuff like this for $5 or free using points to redeem for Amazon or XBOX points.

$20 is a great price for a 12-15 hour game.

That's the wrong way to look at it.

Replayability, fun, depth- those are examples of what makes a game worth it. Length is a factor, but we don't appreciate games as a dollar value per hour. You didn't get into games because you found that you can spend x amount of your free time for n dollars, and you thought 'what a value'.

Replayability, fun, depth- those are examples of what makes a game worth it. Length is a factor, but we don't appreciate games as a dollar value per hour. You didn't get into games because you found that you can spend x amount of your free time for n dollars, and you thought 'what a value'.

There's quite a few people on GAF that look at games that way now.

Personally, I'm with you in that I view the experience, or potential experience, as the real sign of value rather than how long it takes. I prefer shorter games, anyway, and would have no problems if Ori was actually half of the time that's been quoted while still remaining $20. I think the overall experience will be worth it.

Poop!

Damn three responses of games I've never heard of.
I am slipping gaf

Sneaked up on me as well. I like that though, zero hype and no waiting, just an awesome game out of no where. This turned into a day one for me just because of this thread actually.

Seanspeed

Banned
6-9 hours is still a very respectable length for an 'indie' game. Especially of this quality.

The way this post is worded makes it seem like you think these are objective facts.

There's quite a few people on GAF that look at games that way now.
I have to agree a bit. Length really means nothing to me if the game has replay value.
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars is totally worth the $20 asked even if it was just the main game.
A good value is very subjective.

Gestault

Knowing there's supposed to be a way to clear it with a no-upgrade playthrough, I'd bet there can be that much of a range on the times.

The way this post is worded makes it seem like you think these are objective facts.

Video games are not a good value if you're just looking to kill time on a bargain. You could read a book or go on a bike ride. It's a great value if you enjoy video games in particular, and if you do, you probably value other aspects of what a video game provides more than it's price per hour of entertainment time. In that case, saying a game at a certain price is worth buying based on it's price per entertainment hour is not indicative of someone who buys games because they enjoy them in particular versus other ways to spend entertainment time/money.

Top Bottom