• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and The Blind Forest | Review Thread

I'm soooooooo fucking torn on this. I want it. I have money in my Microsoft account. Plenty of it. But I cant shake this feeling this will be GwG by year's end. I have such a backlog anyway that waiting shouldn't be an issue. But I've also found out I have the day off too!

I need thomasmahler in here for inspiration....

I was gonna convince you but it looks like you decided to buy. Good choice!

300 deaths in a 10 hour game? That doesn't sound very fun. Unless the respawns are insanely fast and the progress lost after each death is nil.

How much progress you lose depends on when and where you decide to save. You can save anywhere, but there is a mechanic that prevents you from saving as much as you want, a spirit meter or something?, so you'll need to be judicious.

Has anybody said the approximate length of the game yet?

First play is around 12 hours I've heard, but keep in mind there is an achievement for speed running the game in under 3 hours, and it will likely take extensive practice to do that unless the folks dying 200-300 times their first playthrough are just terrible, lol.

I'm expecting minimum 20-25 hours out of it to get the No Deaths, Speed Run, and No Upgrades achievements. Probably more.

I've had the pleasure to have plenty of hands-on with the game and the reviews are well deserved. Easily the best looking 2D game ever made, along with an incredible soundtrack. I hope the game really takes off.

Good to hear.

I really think MS would be smart to make little Ori one of the Xbox brand mascots if this does take off. He would be a perfect draw for a certain dynamic.

SystemBug

Ori has some of the best video game artists working on it that I have ever seen.

I had seen their work on polycount many years ago and their work just blew my mind, especially Neox's

watership

Kotaku...

"A tad short."

"12-15 hours"

Huh?

In comments the reviewer admitted that it felt short because he usually likes to play these games over the course of a few weekends, but because he reviewed it he had to blow through it in a few days, which made it feel short for him. I get that he's trying to be honest about how he felt, but if he can rationalize in a comment about the way it feels, I guess he thinks it's too late to amend his review however.

paxromana

Banned
Oh man I'm gonna wait for the screenshots thread to sell me on this. I want to love these indies/arcades, I really do, but I can never play more than 20 min (Transistor, Child of Light, Rayman).

Oh man I'm gonna wait for the screenshots thread to sell me on this. I want to love these indies/arcades, I really do, but I can never play more than 20 min (Transistor, Child of Light, Rayman).

Did you miss the part where EVERY ASSET in the game is unique and one of a kind? If it's screenshots that are going to make up your mind, it should already be made up lol. Google Ori Blind Forest pics and go nuts. ;p

Also WTF Gamespot?....

It is not as snappy as, say, a typical Mario platformer, seeking instead a broader gameplay arc stretching across a single, interconnected world.

Duh? It's a Metroidvania, not strictly a platformer. Hello! Think, McFly, think!

RoKKeR

Finally got a chance to sit down and read/watch some of the reviews and I'm pumped to jump in tomorrow.

Good to hear.

I really think MS would be smart to make little Ori one of the Xbox brand mascots if this does take off. He would be a perfect draw for a certain dynamic.
It would be smart. Looks like they've got the perfect starting point for that with a great game.

watership

Brad likes it so far. (read from the bottom, twitter noobs)

qKjdSdK.png

Absolutely. I think MS saw how much charm this game had, and that added to them putting so much weight into this developer, game and ultimately the IP.

They do. Hope the game sells well and they support the IP accordingly.

I thought so, but my work firewalls block pretty much everything gaming related except GAF so I didn't want to assume without being 100% certain.

I just pray this game sells as well as it deserves to so that it will continue to receive support on MS's end and not just get abandoned.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Good to hear.

I would totally buy an Ori plushie or figurine. Just saying.

RoKKeR

Just saw a tweet from a little while ago that had a screenshot of Ori and the Blind Forest trending on Twitter in the US, ha, pretty wild. Can't find it as I've moved to mobile but it's out there if somebody wants to dig it up.

Jomjom

Banned
Nice! Cant wait to get this on Steam.

I've said this seemingly everytime MS releases an exclusive and it seems it's apt here again: whoever at MS decides which games to fund as exclusives has an AMAZING eye for quality.

Top Bottom