• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orioto art thread - New VG wall every thursday!

BumRush

The DS art will be for next week. This week, resting time (meaning i worked on side project lol, maybe a surprise tomorrow. I didn't do that sort of thing in a loonnng while)

In the meantime, i added, last like year, a 2016 wall big zip! It's 5€! Perfect time to support me for those who feel guilty they took all those wallpapers for free :p

C03MM8BXcAAUU6O.jpg:large

It's here!

Will grab! Great work as always.

Shizza

The DS art will be for next week. This week, resting time (meaning i worked on side project lol, maybe a surprise tomorrow. I didn't do that sort of thing in a loonnng while)

In the meantime, i added, last like year, a 2016 wall big zip! It's 5€! Perfect time to support me for those who feel guilty they took all those wallpapers for free :p

C03MM8BXcAAUU6O.jpg:large

It's here!

Had to wait until I got back home from the holidays, but I was able to purchase it today. I don't have the wall space to buy any physical copies right now, but it's nice that there's another way to support your art! Can't wait to see what 2017 has in store.

orioto

Good Art™
Had to wait until I got back home from the holidays, but I was able to purchase it today. I don't have the wall space to buy any physical copies right now, but it's nice that there's another way to support your art! Can't wait to see what 2017 has in store.

Thx for that :)

C1gL3CfXEAIvZ6N.jpg:large

Done, Walls and Prints

orioto

Good Art™
Anyone :p ?

Anyway i'm doing a contest to win a 100$ coupon on my facebook for people interested

As i say in the post i'll also change my way to handle the sold out ones. It'll be surprise come back every 2 tuesday, for 24 hours now!

Also, next week i think i'm back at some yearly tradition, with some chrono! (i'd like to try my take of the snowy poster)

Trevelyan

Banned
Orioto, those Mario and Luigi prints are absolutely outstanding. Trying to decide if I want them framed or not, now.

Anyway, please do more like this, I love this style and would love to see more Nintendo characters represented like this(Princess Zelda, perhaps? =p )

orioto

Good Art™
i love these... lol

Orioto, those Mario and Luigi prints are absolutely outstanding. Trying to decide if I want them framed or not, now.

Anyway, please do more like this, I love this style and would love to see more Nintendo characters represented like this(Princess Zelda, perhaps? =p )

Thx guys.

Although unfortunately i sold 0 of them in 10 days, which means there is no real demand for that kind of thing... It will be difficult to do more.

But my sale are mostly dead this January so who knows

Trevelyan

Banned
Thx guys.

Although unfortunately i sold 0 of them in 10 days, which means there is no real demand for that kind of thing... It will be difficult to do more.

But my sale are mostly dead this January so who knows

Pffft! You'll have 2 sales from me later today!

orioto

Good Art™
So now it's like that. Every 2 Tuesdays, one come back for 48 hours only.

First one:

Here

Still not decided for this week but maybe Chrono Cross, i'm looking for what scene

Update: So i decided on that location.

ChronoSketch.jpg

orioto

Good Art™
what ? why ? Copyright ?

Also, my SF finally arrived <3

Nnice :)

Copiright yeah but that's not really justified, and there is nothing i can do anyway. I mean they can still say the design of the monster was too close i guess. But there is no name, brand, character, logo nor assets from the game used. This is an evocation of the game and that's it.

The truth is they just have to send a mail to redbubble and redbubble will remove it. And my only way to counter is to actually go to trial with them lol, like i will do that :p

All my art that has been removed has been from them. Space Invaders, Pacman and now Dark Souls. But i fear you guys shouldn't expect any more Dark Souls art from me :\

Baliis

Copiright yeah but that's not really justified, and there is nothing i can do anyway. I mean they can still say the design of the monster was too close i guess. But there is no name, brand, character, logo nor assets from the game used. This is an evocation of the game and that's it.

The truth is they just have to send a mail to redbubble and redbubble will remove it. And my only way to counter is to actually go to trial with them lol, like i will do that :p

All my art that has been removed has been from them. Space Invaders, Pacman and now Dark Souls. But i fear you guys shouldn't expect any more Dark Souls art from me :

A shame since I love the sounds games but totally understandable. A lot of musicians on YouTube I listen to that do game music won't do Nintendo stuff any more for similar reasons.

Qwark

Shoot, I missed out on buying Tietra's Fall on Red Bubble. It's absolutely beautiful Orioto, any chance it might become available again? My fault for missing out, amazing work as always.

orioto

Good Art™
Shoot, I missed out on buying Tietra's Fall on Red Bubble. It's absolutely beautiful Orioto, any chance it might become available again? My fault for missing out, amazing work as always.

Everything will come back now, but like the Yoshi one, just for a really short period of few hours, but they'll all come back at some point. You just have to not miss it.

All my art that has been removed has been from them. Space Invaders, Pacman and now Dark Souls. But i fear you guys shouldn't expect any more Dark Souls art from me :\

That's very sad and infuriating.

Holy crap. I just discovered this thread. The art here is amazing. The Trico one made me miss my old dog.

The Mickey Mouse one made me want to leave work, and go revisit my childhood again.

:')

orioto

Good Art™
Not really decided this week, hard to motivate myself. Sales are lower and lower it's dying i think.

How the hell can i find 150 people every month to buy stuff, and to make a minimum living.. That's insane...

And i somehow feel now that the huge list of sold out stuff is shadowing the new stuff.

Maybe i should just find a job at mcdonalds

orioto

Good Art™
I'm posting by myself in here lately..

Anyway i'll do some Fire Emblem fate this week if i can be motivated to work tomorrow..

FEfsketch.jpg

Aquova

And I'm sorry to hear that business has been slow lately. Have you tried reaching out to any game companies? You have some of the best vg art I've ever seen, I wouldn't be surprised if someone commissioned you for something.

NateDog

Not really decided this week, hard to motivate myself. Sales are lower and lower it's dying i think.

How the hell can i find 150 people every month to buy stuff, and to make a minimum living.. That's insane...

And i somehow feel now that the huge list of sold out stuff is shadowing the new stuff.

I'm sorry you feel that way and are struggling Ori, I wish I could help you more now. Hope things pick up. It could just be post-holidays period since a lot of people have little money right now.

Rongolian

Banned

I think Patreon is the most logical way to help your business grow. It doesn't cost you anything, and you have the opportunity to offer Patreon-only digital rewards ahead of time from your current store offerings.

Some Patreon incentives could be: voting on the game/scene for your next piece, offering downloadable bundles of wallpapers, exclusive live streams of in-progress pieces, etc. All you would have to do is continue what you love doing and stay engaged with your community.

It's up to you, but relying on a third party to manufacture goods, take a profit, and give you what's left is going to be a tough business model to make a living off of.

orioto

Good Art™
Thx guys well yeah it's weird cause i think it's been dying since the summer but i made most money out of my sony art cause of the Sony podcast. It's my usual Nintendo stuff that sells really slow, even my majora's mask or the smash bros etc..

I think Patreon is the most logical way to help your business grow. It doesn't cost you anything, and you have the opportunity to offer Patreon-only digital rewards ahead of time from your current store offerings.

Some Patreon incentives could be: voting on the game/scene for your next piece, offering downloadable bundles of wallpapers, exclusive live streams of in-progress pieces, etc. All you would have to do is continue what you love doing and stay engaged with your community.

It's up to you, but relying on a third party to manufacture goods, take a profit, and give you what's left is going to be a tough business model to make a living off of.

Yeah Patreon is something that comes back regularly and i even have an account and i sometimes log in to think about how i could do that. But all the time i finally decides it's not good for me. For many reasons.
I don't have many things to offer in addition to what i already gives away. I can't give 4k walls cause then people will print them. I can't do live videos cause my process is not linear or impressive to look at. The votes yeah maybe but i generally do that here and for free lol.
But mostly, if i look at my stats, just for wallpaper downloads, it's quiet ridiculous on payhip. People don't support me in general.

Look, my last stats on payhip. Cause people don't really realize.

Sales means downloads, but only 2 or 3 people download and pay.

Except for the 2016 bundle that gave me some money (but 23 people paid for the 5 euros only), look at the other walls lately. It's pathetic. Not only people don't give money, but they barely take it even for free. basically, nobody is interested.
When you can't find 200 people to download a wallpaper for free, do you really think you will find enough people to give you money on a monthly basis for everything you do ? Clearly no. And what i do is too varied and not specified. I don't target one precise group, as i do many games with different fans. So people don't like everything i do, so they won't pay for everything with a subscription. And i prefer it that way, or you kinda become slave to your fans. Patreon is a complex beast. It works for people who do a lot of content for a specific group and never stops.

You also have to realize at some point that for exemple here on neogaf, if you look at the answers in my thread. It's mainly a group of what, 5-6 people being nice enough to bump the thread when i post. But realistically, 99% of people on GAF don't give a shit about what i do. This is never encouraging.

Koren

Chrono Cross done!
Damn, another must-have (it's one of the less obvious ones, also)

:/

Thx guys well yeah it's weird cause i think it's been dying since the summer but i made most money out of my sony art cause of the Sony podcast. It's my usual Nintendo stuff that sells really slow, even my majora's mask or the smash bros etc..
Well, I'm not part of the problem, the only question I have is whether I'll buy the CC or the AC one first ;) I'll be running out of space on walls soon.

I'll work harder to advertise your shop ;)

I can't do live videos cause my process is not linear or impressive to look at.
Well, I've already said it I think, but I could pay for such a video. Not because it's impressive, but because it's interesting. Although I'm not sure you'll earn enough to warrant the hassle.

But mostly, if i look at my stats, just for wallpaper downloads, it's quiet ridiculous on payhip.
Wrong population? Lack of awareness?

I wasn't even aware that you were on payhip, or even that payhip was a thing.

Also, the fact that it's easy to find plently of wallpapers for free doesn't help... Even more when a part of those are stolen (I must admit a sin, I stumble on one of your art, the mario one, several years ago on a website I don't remember, without credits and without consent (I guess!) I've used it some time as an image for a HTPC software, I'm happy I can repay you a bit now)

Rongolian

Banned

Yeah Patreon is something that comes back regularly and i even have an account and i sometimes log in to think about how i could do that. But all the time i finally decides it's not good for me. For many reasons.
I don't have many things to offer in addition to what i already gives away. I can't give 4k walls cause then people will print them. I can't do live videos cause my process is not linear or impressive to look at. The votes yeah maybe but i generally do that here and for free lol.
But mostly, if i look at my stats, just for wallpaper downloads, it's quiet ridiculous on payhip. People don't support me in general.

Look, my last stats on payhip. Cause people don't really realize.

Sales means downloads, but only 2 or 3 people download and pay.

Except for the 2016 bundle that gave me some money (but 23 people paid for the 5 euros only), look at the other walls lately. It's pathetic. Not only people don't give money, but they barely take it even for free. basically, nobody is interested.
When you can't find 200 people to download a wallpaper for free, do you really think you will find enough people to give you money on a monthly basis for everything you do ? Clearly no. And what i do is too varied and not specified. I don't target one precise group, as i do many games with different fans. So people don't like everything i do, so they won't pay for everything with a subscription. And i prefer it that way, or you kinda become slave to your fans. Patreon is a complex beast. It works for people who do a lot of content for a specific group and never stops.

You also have to realize at some point that for exemple here on neogaf, if you look at the answers in my thread. It's mainly a group of what, 5-6 people being nice enough to bump the thread when i post. But realistically, 99% of people on GAF don't give a shit about what i do. This is never encouraging.

I disagree with many of your points. I have no interest in purchasing physical artwork for the walls of my house, simply because I don't have a great place to put it, however I appreciate your artwork and still would like to support you. I'd much prefer giving you $5 on Patreon (without incentives) than purchase a $5 print that I don't really need. I understand you have reservations about your process, but people want to support artists in more ways than obtaining physical things. They want to feel involved, help with inspiration, be part of the process, and if they see a small detail in one of your pieces that they suggested or influenced, they'll be hooked into a community you've created.

I think you should look at Patreon (and how you profit off of your hard work) through a different light. Not everyone needs a physical thing to support artists and content creators, many of them just want to feel involved.

If you reopen your Patreon, I'll be the first to pledge $5 a month, and I'd be happy to only have a member's only Discord chat or Youtube stream or something to feel involved in supporting you.

Aquova

I'm going to be honest here, NeoGAF is a cool site, and works well for interacting with you, but it isn't good for getting your name out there or attracting new visitors. I'm not sure where you advertise your stuff, but I think your main issue is you are hoping people are going to come to your site and decide to spend money, instead of putting your stuff in places where people are already spending money.

Some stuff I'd recommend (although I'm not sure how viable these are for you, they're just some ideas)

• Start an Etsy page - When people who are already browsing to buy stuff stumble across your page, I think they'd be more likely to purchase something and follow you on a bigger marketplace. Heck, maybe you can even get on Amazon where you'd get even more passer-by's
  • Go to local gaming stores and have them display your art
  • Go to conventions and sell posters - I don't know the logistics about setting up a booth at a con, but I know people who go to conventions specifically looking for posters and artwork to buy. They can see your work in person and at the very least hear about you.

Your art is not the problem. You might be the most talented artist I've seen online, especially doing video game art. I've seen a few of your pieces floating around before I knew who you were. Your biggest issue is marketing I think, and getting customers to come to you, instead of going to them.

Also, if it helps, I posted your Mario piece with your site onto https://www.reddit.com/r/alternativeart/ and it's currently at the top.

orioto

Good Art™
I disagree with many of your points. I have no interest in purchasing physical artwork for the walls of my house, simply because I don't have a great place to put it, however I appreciate your artwork and still would like to support you. I'd much prefer giving you $5 on Patreon (without incentives) than purchase a $5 print that I don't really need. I understand you have reservations about your process, but people want to support artists in more ways than obtaining physical things. They want to feel involved, help with inspiration, be part of the process, and if they see a small detail in one of your pieces that they suggested or influenced, they'll be hooked into a community you've created.

I think you should look at Patreon (and how you profit off of your hard work) through a different light. Not everyone needs a physical thing to support artists and content creators, many of them just want to feel involved.

If you reopen your Patreon, I'll be the first to pledge $5 a month, and I'd be happy to only have a member's only Discord chat or Youtube stream or something to feel involved in supporting you.

Yeah and i appreciate that but the thing is to me it's a problem of money value. 5$ a month is half a netflix subscription :p It's crazy to me, to ask people that. I then have to give them something special.

i logged in to my account and i'm thinking. Maybe i have new ideas about what i could offer. Contests (but i need a minimum of people to do that obviously), private come back of my sold out pieces, one week early art, things like that..

Rongolian

Banned
Yeah and i appreciate that but the thing is to me it's a problem of money value. 5$ a month is half a netflix subscription :p It's crazy to me, to ask people that. I then have to give them something special.

i logged in to my account and i'm thinking. Maybe i have new ideas about what i could offer. Contests (but i need a minimum of people to do that obviously), private come back of my sold out pieces, one week early art, things like that..

Now you're onto something! Stay positive, you have a wonderful talent to offer and just have to find the right way for it to help you make a living.

You discounted the $5 a month thing, but if you have 20 people a month pledge I'm sure you're already surpassing the revenue from many of your posters and it's more consistent income, rather than completely random based on who buys what.

orioto

Good Art™
I'm going to be honest here, NeoGAF is a cool site, and works well for interacting with you, but it isn't good for getting your name out there or attracting new visitors. I'm not sure where you advertise your stuff, but I think your main issue is you are hoping people are going to come to your site and decide to spend money, instead of putting your stuff in places where people are already spending money.

Some stuff I'd recommend (although I'm not sure how viable these are for you, they're just some ideas)

• Start an Etsy page - When people who are already browsing to buy stuff stumble across your page, I think they'd be more likely to purchase something and follow you on a bigger marketplace. Heck, maybe you can even get on Amazon where you'd get even more passer-by's
  • Go to local gaming stores and have them display your art
  • Go to conventions and sell posters - I don't know the logistics about setting up a booth at a con, but I know people who go to conventions specifically looking for posters and artwork to buy. They can see your work in person and at the very least hear about you.

Your art is not the problem. You might be the most talented artist I've seen online, especially doing video game art. I've seen a few of your pieces floating around before I knew who you were. Your biggest issue is marketing I think, and getting customers to come to you, instead of going to them.

Also, if it helps, I posted your Mario piece with your site onto https://www.reddit.com/r/alternativeart/ and it's currently at the top.

Well thx and lol at the same time ;)
See what you did here, on reddit, that's precisely why i didn't sale posters for so long. Guys posting stuff online, without any good info, any link to any store. None of the people who will see that will know there is a poster of it. You gave direct image link, no link to any of my site except Payhip but in your comment after the first post (so nobody will see it, i know how reddit works :p). And you spelled my name bad so people won't even find me lol. Believe me i've had so many things like that in 10 years on the web.. But you wanted to help thx :p

As for the other points, the thing is you're talking about physical sales. They require investment, and money.

Now you're onto something! Stay positive, you have a wonderful talent to offer and just have to find the right way for it to help you make a living.

You discounted the $5 a month thing, but if you have 20 people a month pledge I'm sure you're already surpassing the revenue from many of your posters and it's more consistent income, rather than completely random based on who buys what.

To be perfectly clear my strategy has been focused on posters for a while and i do make between . 800 and 2000, let's say 1000-1200&#8364; of them each month. WHich already makes me one of the biggest sellers on redbubble. I mean, i do sell a lot of posters. It's just not enough to make a living, and it's not progressing lately. It's even diminishing, cause well, i sold what.. 3000 posters in the last 2 years maybe ? It's starting to saturate.. My audience doesn't grow enough i guess. Also my limited quantity strategy worked clearly for me but it's starting to be counter-productive cause people see more things they can't buy that things they want (cause the sold out pieces are, by definition, the ones who are the most popular) so they wait cause i said posters would come back. So now the weight of my 50 sold out posters is a problem.

Datschge

It's not a subscription. First and foremost Patreon is a service where people can decide how much your already ongoing work is worth to them, as is, without you serving them directly. The fact that you regularly create and share new art is enough for a population bigger than zero to want to support you just for that.

1morerobot

Love your work! I just looked through a ton of your stuff and it's really great. I will be buying some stuff in the future for sure.

And as someone else mentioned, I would give Etsy a shot.

orioto

Good Art™
It's not a subscription. First and foremost Patreon is a service where people can decide how much your already ongoing work is worth to them, as is, without you serving them directly. The fact that you regularly create and share new art is enough for a population bigger than zero to want to support you just for that.

Well i'm trying to see how that could work. I would have that for the 5$ pledge:

Thx for the big support!

GLORIOUS 2560x1440 for all wallpapers! One week in advance!

Private WIP and Requests forum to see how things are coming and tell me what you want!
Contest! One dedicated printed shipped to one of you each month (Begins with at least 50 backers)
Private 48 hours come back for one sold out posters EVERY WEEK!

But i'm looking for things for the 10$ pledge. I could give 4k walls after all as it's still half the native rez and really cropped cause 16/9. But that's not enough.

Love your work! I just looked through a ton of your stuff and it's really great. I will be buying some stuff in the future for sure.

And as someone else mentioned, I would give Etsy a shot.

Thx!

Again, Etsy is for selling physical stuff, it's out of the question for me. Do you see me shipping 100 poster a month everywhere in the world ? The shipping cost enough would kill my business :)

Rongolian

Banned
But i'm looking for things for the 10$ pledge. I could give 4k walls after all as it's still half the native rez and really cropped cause 16/9. But that's not enough.

How about giving the $10 backers to vote on the franchise for one piece per month? So you don't end up getting anything too obscure, you could select the choices from 5 or more!

orioto

Good Art™
How about giving the $10 backers to vote on the franchise for one piece per month? So you don't end up getting anything too obscure, you could select the choices from 5 or more!

Look at my post above and tell me what you think.

Votes are difficult cause when i ask people what they want i end with as many games as voters ;) But there will be a request board in the 5$ pledge. I hav to see how al of that works now lol

Shit that's a mess. Normally i can create a board for a certain pledge right ? A discussion ? I only how to post text/images etc..

Rongolian

Banned
Look at my post above and tell me what you think.

Votes are difficult cause when i ask people what they want i end with as many games as voters ;) But there will be a request board in the 5$ pledge. I hav to see how al of that works now lol

Shit that's a mess. Normally i can create a board for a certain pledge right ? A discussion ? I only how to post text/images etc..

You have your first backer! I honestly think something like a private Discord channel or something like that would work well for WIP stuff or discussion.

orioto

Good Art™
You have your first backer! I honestly think something like a private Discord channel or something like that would work well for WIP stuff or discussion.

haha cool but wait i'm not ready i don't even know if my rewards are doable with tie admin :p

Discord ? i've heard of tht but i don't know what it is. But i guess Patreons can comment on a post right ? So any post can serve as a temporary forum..

Rongolian

Banned
haha cool but wait i'm not ready i don't even know if my rewards are doable with tie admin :p

Discord ? i've heard of tht but i don't know what it is. But i guess Patreons can comment on a post right ? So any post can serve as a temporary forum..

It's a pretty popular chat room and voice chat program, similar to Skype but was created for video gaming. It takes almost zero time to set up and can be accessed from a browser if you don't want to install the program. It allows for voice chat and a message board.

Top Bottom