• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X El Capitan [OT]

Chittagong

Gold Member
The beta was really shit for me (MacBook 2015 / Retina iMac), so hoping the final release is solid.

How do I jump off the Beta train to actual consumer releases?

I'm hoping this update addresses the speed at which my MacBook Pro wakes from sleep mode. It got really slow after installing Mavericks.

Lo-Volt

I've really enjoyed using the public beta, so enjoy it, guys! It's gorgeous on a Retina-class screen and all the juddering nonsense for changing desktop screens and even full-screen transitions in QuickTime and youtube.com disappeared with El Capitan.

jimmypython

it's been great so far on my mid-2012 non-retina 13inch macbook pro...The snappy animation is absolutely delightful..

the only complaint is Office2016 for Mac runs like shit. But is not on Apple.....

People running El Cap, have you noticed Rootless interfere with any of your applications, or installing any applications? Have any of you had to enable the Root user to get certain things to work?

Yes, MacPorts needs to be rebuilt from source.

People running El Cap, have you noticed Rootless interfere with any of your applications, or installing any applications? Have any of you had to enable the Root user to get certain things to work?

Fliesen

• Mail: Improved full-screen support and swipe gestures
  • Notes: Powerful upgrade allows easy additions of photos, videos, URL’s or map locations.
  • Photos: Allows third party editing tools and supports Live Photos taken on iPhone 6S & 6S Plus.
  • Safari: Pinned sites, mute audio in individual tabs, AirPlay to stream to TV.

better full screen support in mail is a godsend.
I always keep mail open on a 2nd desktop, just a swipe away.

The fact that, when composing a message, the new email blocks your mail window (i.e., you can't even look up information from another mail behind your current composition window - you have to actually close the mail you're composing and saving it as a draft)

looking forward to the new Notes app. Might drop evernote altogether - I only used them for the fact that they sync across devices and are 'richer' in content than regular old Notes.

holygeesus

Banned
Is it worth doing a clean install? This is the first time I've updated a Mac between versions like this. It wouldn't be a big deal to do, but if there is no point, I won't bother.

Did a clean install of the GM yesterday, so far so good.
Bit nervous with all the iCloud photo library/ Apple Music stuff coming across ok, but looks good.

Can't wait from them OS X ad blockers!

Fuchsdh

Is it worth doing a clean install? This is the first time I've updated a Mac between versions like this. It wouldn't be a big deal to do, but if there is no point, I won't bother.

Generally you shouldn't run into any issue updating normally. I tend to wipe my computer and start from scratch every few versions (did so last for the switch to 10.10) but that's less to ward off problems and more to reduce my cruft and clutter.

EmiPrime

El Capitan gives me Snow Leopard vibes (my previous favourite iteration of OSX). I've been running it for a while.

Same.

A completely redesigned (or broken up) iTunes and an App Store that doesn't suck (both the app and the over restrictive policies that keep a lot of devs away from it) are now the only missing pieces of the puzzle.

Well, that and a file system that wasn't invented 30 years ago.

Our issue is that we don't want to put money into it if it's just smarter to save up and upgrade to a newer model.

I sold my Aluminum late-2008 MacBook a few years ago toward a new MacBook, but we didn't end up getting it.

Im running and older macbook than yours, and for 150$ I maxed out the RAM and got a SSD. The difference is astonishing. For a few dollars you get a very good computer for another of couple years.

If your Macbook gets hot and your fans go wild, check if the fan is obstructed. My Macbook was getting super hot, i opened it up and i found that a big ball of dust was obstructing the air exit. I removed it and at the beginning I was worried because the computer made no noise. I was afraid i thought i messed up and broke the fan. But no, El Cap just works great without heating up anything.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I like the new emoji. 🤔🙄🖕

I wonder how widely supported they are yet. I know iOS 9 and 10.11 do. But on the FaceBook and Twitter websites they show up as the normal Emoji instead of the custom ones those sites usually replace them with (For compatibility purposes) so I cant tell if they're showing up for other people. And I assume Android doesn't support them yet either. So how do I know if people are seeing my middle finger??? Or the awesome Cyanide and Happiness style "rubbing my chin and pondering the stupidity of everything" emoji. 🤔

Yes. Are they only 10.11.1? Oh. Well then that sucks for everyone who isn't me. 🖖

(If you don't have support then you don't see my awesome Spock "Live Long and Prosper" hand gesture above.)

Spock emoji is hidden, but available in iOS 8/Yosemite.
Things like the middle finger are 9.1/10.11.1

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Ah, didn't know this was releasing tomorrow. Been on Yosemite all this time, so I'm looking forward to what's new.

one thing i love with El Cap, is the 'Mark as Read' option on the Messages notification. Don't need to go into the actual app to mark it as read now.

Jigolo

There's a lot of stuff on that list that I don't use. Oh well. Definitely looking forward to the general performance improvements, although I have been much happier with Yosemite than the two previous iterations.
LOL same here.

Just looking forward to the spped improvements. Engadget showed some great improvements on other browsers as well.

I have run into a problem with the El Capitan GM, which I've reported to Apple, where USB 2.0 devices plugged into my USB 3.0 hub aren't recognized by OS X apps.

USB 3.0 devices plugged into this hub are fine, I suspect USB 2.0 devices plugged into a USB 2.0 hub might be fine as well. This is just an annoying issue that's going to have me dual booting until it's fixed (probably. I hope.) in a later OS X release.

In my eyes, the snappier performance is enough to justify the bugs. This one might be a deal breaker for some if it's more widespread.

Shun

Does this one break apps like Mavericks to Yosemite or will it be pain free like Mountain Lion to Mavericks?

If I remember correctly, there weren't big issues going to Mavericks but there were issues going into Yosemite. Or is it the other way around.

Wait, System Integrity Protection applies to bundled Apple applications?

Welp, that's one feature that will be getting turned off. Bundled Applications are a bit of a pet peeve of mine. My laptop doesn't have a DVD drive and I don't want DVDPlayer.app taking up space in the applications folder on my dock.

Does this one break apps like Mavericks to Yosemite or will it be pain free like Mountain Lion to Mavericks?

If I remember correctly, there weren't big issues going to Mavericks but there were issues going into Yosemite. Or is it the other way around.

Check with the vendor for apps you use. Due to System Integrity Protection, apps might need to be updated if they were storing resources in unapproved places.

Surprised the OP doesn't mention SIP.

LordOfChaos

Anyone seen tests of the performance part?

SWMYMmz.png

LordOfChaos

Oh. Hm. Apparently only Intel GPU exclusive macs use the new UI acceleration. From ars -

Apple tells us that the Core Graphics and Core Animation acceleration is available only on Macs that use Intel integrated graphics exclusively. It’s not available on higher-end Macs with dedicated GPUs or in laptops that switch dynamically between integrated and dedicated graphics. The Intel GPUs are the ones that need the most help driving OS X’s UI, but it still seems a bit odd.

antispin

This will be my first. Questions:

1. How do you do a clean install? Is it part of the upgrade process?

2. It will replace Yosemite, yes? No older files hanging around eating up disk space?

Top Bottom