• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X El Capitan [OT]

Aperture runs OK on El Capitan. The Nik plugins give me trouble, though.

I'm sticking with it because there's no real alternative for me at this time. (Don't say Lightroom.)

Do the Nik plugins work from Potatoshop? I'm sticking with Aperture, but I have a few shoots to edit so my Mac Pro is staying on 10.10 for a while. Going to upgrade an Air and a Mini today/tomorrow for testing.

I'm still so frustrated at Aperture getting shitcanned.

Yeoman

Does anyone know what the best way to do a clean install is?
Can I just format the hard drive from Disk Utility and then install El Capitan from the internet through the recovery?

Iolo

So is it good to update right away, or is it best to wait a couple of days first ?

it just depends on your level of tolerance. If you're conservative, wait at least until the first patch release. If you don't care as much and can tolerate possibly being down for a little while, then wait for the weekend. If you are ok with possible instability or you can afford to take downtime right now without a problem then by all means, upgrade now. Personally, I'm on vacation so I won't have a problem if I upgrade the machine I use for work, and everyone is saying this release seems pretty stable.

e: also make sure to back up first of course

cjp

It's been a while so I can't remember: will it require being plugged in to install or is 50% and greater battery enough?

I'm too lazy to go upstairs and unplug my charger from underneath my desk.

So I updated to the GM Candidate when they released it after the last Apple Event. Ever since then the Mac App Store keeps insisting that I update to the 10.11.1 Developer Beta, but I don't want to. How do I get this thing to go away?

jstripes

Banned
Do the Nik plugins work from Potatoshop? I'm sticking with Aperture, but I have a few shoots to edit so my Mac Pro is staying on 10.10 for a while. Going to upgrade an Air and a Mini today/tomorrow for testing.

I'm still so frustrated at Aperture getting shitcanned.

Ya, they still work fine with Photoshop.

Trust me, plenty of us are annoyed at Aperture being discontinued. If they could renew Final Cut Pro and Logic, why would it be so difficult to do it for Aperture? Photographers love Mac. It's not an extensive app, and most of what it needs is built-into OS X now...

It's been a while so I can't remember: will it require being plugged in to install or is 50% and greater battery enough?

I'm too lazy to go upstairs and unplug my charger from underneath my desk.

Might as well plug it in. The download, verification, update, etc. will probably take forever.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
it just depends on your level of tolerance. If you're conservative, wait at least until the first patch release. If you don't care as much and can tolerate possibly being down for a little while, then wait for the weekend. If you are ok with possible instability or you can afford to take downtime right now without a problem then by all means, upgrade now. Personally, I'm on vacation so I won't have a problem if I upgrade the machine I use for work, and everyone is saying this release seems pretty stable.

e: also make sure to back up first of course
Ok thanks. I guess I'll update today. I don't think I need to backup because I just got the thing a month ago, and there's basically nothing on it.

Juice

So I updated to the GM Candidate when they released it after the last Apple Event. Ever since then the Mac App Store keeps insisting that I update to the 10.11.1 Developer Beta, but I don't want to. How do I get this thing to go away?

You can opt out of beta updates via the App Store preference pane in system preferences. It's easy to miss and apples own docs suggest you need to clean install, which you don't

CQKtzfqWoAIeGUV.png

Build is a little newer, GM is 15A282b.

NJDEN

I know this thread is about El Captain, but have they mentioned anything about new Macbook Pros? I've been a lifetime Windows user, but I'm considering switching camps for my laptop needs... I don't know Apple's release cycle so I'd feel dumb buying a Macbook now only to have them release the new version soon.

El Captain looks great by the way... I love its design.

I know this thread is about El Captain, but have they mentioned anything about new Macbook Pros? I've been a lifetime Windows user, but I'm considering switching camps for my laptop needs... I don't know Apple's release cycle so I'd feel dumb buying a Macbook now only to have them release the new version soon.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac

Basically, wait until they have Skylake chips in them, which will likely happen in early 2016.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Retina_MacBook_Pro

Probably won't be updated till early 2016 at the earliest.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

The 13" Retina MacBook Pro and lower end 15" model were just refreshed in May, so you probably won't see a new on in that line until next spring or summer.

If you're planning on going for the high-end model with the dedicated GPU, I don't think that saw a proper refresh due to the delay in Intel's Skylake processors. Those probably won't be available until early 2016 at the earliest, though.

Yeoman

How do I pin tabs in Safari? Just updated to 9.0 but can't find the option anywhere.
I'm not exactly sure where the button is (I could have sworn there was a button or gesture to do it).
But click help and type "pin" into the help bar and it shows you where the option in the menu is (Window --> Pin Tab)

Top Bottom