• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X El Capitan [OT]

Troy

Banned
I nearly shit myself when Dashboard didn't work once my computer restarted with El Capitan installed. I keep a lot of important info on stickies in the Dashboard. Fortunately it was just disabled by default. I'm guessing I need a new way of storing that info since Dashboard doesn't appear to have much life left in it.

Tadaima

A little off-topic, but what CSS preprocessor / framework are you using here? It seems very programmatic, which is cool.

Seems like Sass.

Nozem is right. To be more precise, it's Sass 3, or "scss". It includes nice things such as nesting, operators, variables, and mixins (which are sort of like functions which reduce repetition). In my opinion, it's worth it alone for the nesting.

If you write a lot of CSS, I can highly recommend it. Here's the website.

dkeane

I nearly shit myself when Dashboard didn't work once my computer restarted with El Capitan installed. I keep a lot of important info on stickies in the Dashboard. Fortunately it was just disabled by default. I'm guessing I need a new way of storing that info since Dashboard doesn't appear to have much life left in it.
The notes app is really nice now, try that if you're writing quick notes

Nozem

Nozem is right. To be more precise, it's Sass 3, or "scss". It includes nice things such as nesting, operators, variables, and mixins (which are sort of like functions which reduce repetition). In my opinion, it's worth it alone for the nesting.

If you write a lot of CSS, I can highly recommend it. Here's the website.

What's the device emulator thing in your screenshot? Is that the new Safari Dev Tools? Is it better than the current Chrome device emulator?

I'm still on 10.9 and hesitant to upgrade because I'm afraid it will mess up my dev environment (which I need to move to a VM).

gruenel

The new system font "San Francisco" doesn't show up in Font Book, nor can I use it in my Pages documents or anywhere else. What's up with that?

Edit: apparently I'm not allowed to use it anywhere lol

Tadaima

What's the device emulator thing in your screenshot? Is that the new Safari Dev Tools? Is it better than the current Chrome device emulator?

I'm still on 10.9 and hesitant to upgrade because I'm afraid it will mess up my dev environment (which I need to move to a VM).

I was also hesitant to upgrade because of my dev environment, but it's been fine. The critical things for me have been node, ruby/rails, and the xcode command line tools. A quick check of the repos which are important to you should tell you all you need to know.

The device "emulator" is new to Safari 9. I actually prefer it to the Chrome equivalent due to its speed and simplicity.

The only thing that bugs me is that I can't figure out how to dock the Safari developer tools (web inspector/console/etc) in this release while in split-screen mode. Does anybody have the answer to this?

Edit: Figured it out, but it's a bit weird. You can only do it while the app is in windowed mode or full screen. After that, you can switch to split screen mode and it'll be there.

Just use Notes. Dashboard is clearly slated for death and you can do better anyway.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I do wish there was a direct DMG download somewhere. Telstra (Aus ISP) has been having pretty dead download speeds from the app store recently, this isn't going to be fun at all!

Nozem

I was also hesitant to upgrade because of my dev environment, but it's been fine. The critical things for me have been node, ruby/rails, and the xcode command line tools. A quick check of the repos which are important to you should tell you all you need to know.

The device "emulator" is new to Safari 9. I actually prefer it to the Chrome equivalent due to its speed and simplicity.

The only thing that bugs me is that I can't figure out how to dock the Safari developer tools (web inspector/console/etc) in this release while in split-screen mode. Does anybody have the answer to this?

Edit: Figured it out, but it's a bit weird. You can only do it while the app is in windowed mode or full screen. After that, you can switch to split screen mode and it'll be there.

My setup is mostly PHP Apache MySQL and nodejs. OS X has a nasty habit of updating these and overwriting the config files when upgrading. I just need to make some time to backup, upgrade and then restore again, but work and looming deadlines keeps me from doing so.

Do you use a window manager or is that split-screen thing a new OS X feature?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I get so much more use out of Split View than I was expecting. It comes in handy a lot. Some examples:

Moving tabs between windows easier than constantly dragging and switching spaces.

Watching videos while browsing.

Now that Windows and OS X both have the ability to do this (Though really, what stopped people before when you just tiled windows?) hopefully some of the major websites will create "narrow" versions that detect when their parent window is not wide and switch to a smaller view. Right now Safari just shrinks the site down and that just creates more problems.

Now if only we had PIP. But then I've said that a lot. But we need Apple to know we want it soooo badly.

My computer has been acting weird for two years now. It won't let me change the font on ANYTHING, it crashes if I try to change the font size as well. ...It also won't let me change the wallpaper without crashing. But I've been too lazy to do a clean install, but today is the day! Hopefully it'll fix all those annoying bugs. I probably got it from installing some third party crap years ago and not properly deleting everything lol.

entremet

Late 2012. It says " Your computer restarted because of a problem" then keeps rebooting over & over after showing weird computer code. Then shuts down completely. I guess it's off to the Fucking Genius Bar. WTF fucking fuck fuck fuck!!!!

I hope you backed up.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Late 2012. It says " Your computer restarted because of a problem" then keeps rebooting over & over after showing weird computer code. Then shuts down completely. I guess it's off to the Fucking Genius Bar. WTF fucking fuck fuck fuck!!!!

It's probably the logic board, There's a repair program for some of the 2012/2013 machines with faulty GPUs. I would need the serial number to confirm if it's eligible.

Also, if you have the crash log (if you can get into the machine via safe boot or something) then you should be able to see what's causing it to crash from the kernel crash log

Tadaima

My setup is mostly PHP Apache MySQL and nodejs. OS X has a nasty habit of updating these and overwriting the config files when upgrading. I just need to make some time to backup, upgrade and then restore again, but work and looming deadlines keeps me from doing so.

Do you use a window manager or is that split-screen thing a new OS X feature?

With your setup, you shouldn't have any problems. I assume you are using MAMP? If so, I've just tested that and PHP, Apache, and MySQL are all working. Apple is quite good at supporting the developer community, and you'd most certainly have heard about it if this sort of support was being deprecated in some way.

Still, I'd definitely recommend backing up any Apache configuration changes just in case. The rest of it should be in a repo!

Split-screen is a new feature of El Capitan and it's perfect for web development. You're going to love it.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Right, so I'm using the latest beta of El Capitan. Will it automatically transfer to the standard version when the app store version also reaches past 10.11.1?

Laranja

I've had to pause the download for a while, but now it won't resume. Just says "waiting..." and doesn't progress any further. Any advice?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So this will hopefully fix the performance issues of the last two turd sandwich OSX releases?

Sadly El Capitan broke Apple's own Final Cut Pro X on my early 2013 MacBook Pro, both the latest version and the one before don't open, beach ball, then stop responding.

Im curious if this is only me or if it doesn't work for everyone.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Installed it on my 2015 MacBook Pro 13" w/ Retina Display. Barely used it so far, but general interface navigation seems a lot smoother. No choppy animations to be seen.

Oppo

I get so much more use out of Split View than I was expecting. It comes in handy a lot. Some examples:

Moving tabs between windows easier than constantly dragging and switching spaces.

Watching videos while browsing.

Now that Windows and OS X both have the ability to do this (Though really, what stopped people before when you just tiled windows?) hopefully some of the major websites will create "narrow" versions that detect when their parent window is not wide and switch to a smaller view. Right now Safari just shrinks the site down and that just creates more problems.

Now if only we had PIP. But then I've said that a lot. But we need Apple to know we want it soooo badly.

thats sort of my question. like we've had resizeable windows forever. im not sure how this is better. i guess i will see soon.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Safari tab pinning doesn't show the website's icon like Chrome does. That's unfortunate. It's just a colored icon of the first letter that the site's name begins with. Just a big "N" for NeoGAF, for example. That's unfortunate.

Safari tab pinning doesn't show the website's icon like Chrome does. That's unfortunate. It's just a colored icon of the first letter that the site's name begins with. Just a big "N" for NeoGAF, for example. That's unfortunate.

does for me for twitter + gmail

cjp

Don't really think I'm a fan of the new look buttons and text fields.

I thought they wanted to go flat? They a look a mess and out of place, like I've installed some 3rd party tweak off DeviantArt.

Captain.Falafel

Neo Member
It's probably the logic board, There's a repair program for some of the 2012/2013 machines with faulty GPUs. I would need the serial number to confirm if it's eligible.

Also, if you have the crash log (if you can get into the machine via safe boot or something) then you should be able to see what's causing it to crash from the kernel crash log

I'm also a late 2012 MBP. Now I am scared.

Top Bottom