• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X El Capitan [OT]

adz2ka

So without sparking a fanboy debate, is there any reason to use Safari over Chrome other than battery life?

I use Chrome across other devices, so the syncing is quite useful, but other than that I have no allegiance

EmiPrime

So without sparking a fanboy debate, is there any reason to use Safari over Chrome other than battery life?

I use Chrome across other devices, so the syncing is quite useful, but other than that I have no allegiance

None. Keep using Chrome if the cross-platform benefits are important to you. The latest beta has good battery life improvements if you want to switch to the beta channel. In my own testing it's only slightly behind Safari now and Google are taking battery life and RAM usage really seriously.

Fliesen

The OS feels a lot smoother on my 'first gen 13" retina macbook pro'

pinned tabs(?) are really great and replace going back to top-sides

muting by tab is neat

already down one safari extension, since the new default statusbar replaces ultimate_status_bar (chrome style status bar that only shows when hovering a link)

really happy with the update so far.

kess

Downloading this now on a late 2013 iMac, with a HDD. 10.8 ran great, but Mavericks was a huge setback, and Yosemite was marginally better. I hope they've improved the start up time.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Been using El Cap since beta 6 or so. Fucking love it on my rMBP.

The final version has ironed out the small bugs I ran into in the beta.

Run so smooth.

Akiraptor

Curious. I have the older version of Skype (before they added the chat bubbles for the IM features, which I loathe) and am currently running Mavericks on my late 2013 MBPr. If I upgraded to El Capitan, would it force me to upgrade my Skype or would the older versions still be compatible?

All the other features of El Capitan look lovely, but Skype is one of my most used programs and I find the IM chat bubbles to be unbearably distracting.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
New notes is nice. New Japanese fonts are ugly, at least in Line.

No Tokyo transit directions yet but they've added all of the stations so soon enough I suppose.

Took me most of the afternoon to download and then I come to find out that I have to create a partition because installing to my drive gives me a GUID error c: yay

Ninja Dom

Anybody got the definitive way to make a USB Installer for El Capitan?

I had a Terminal command to make a Yosemite USB Boot drive and it works wonders. This is so that you can install Yosemite on multiple Mac's off one download or recover a Mac with Yosemite boot up.

Does anybody think that this same command will work with El Capitan? Changing the word "Yosemite" for "El Capitan"??

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app --nointeraction

Emarv

I find iPhone-Mac synchronicity to be a better experience than Chrome, but that's about it.

kiguel182

So, I installed it but now it's hanging on the login screen with a spiny ball. Should I start panicking ?

Edit:false alarm. Just had to wait it out.

Ninja Dom

YES!!

Found this. Terminal command to make a USB Installer of El Capitan.

Ars Technica

You need:
  • A Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)-formatted USB drive named "Untitled" mounted on the system,
  • El Capitan installed on your Mac

Terminal Command said:
sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app --nointeraction

Ars Technica said:
The command will erase the disk and copy the install files over. Give it some time, and your volume will soon be loaded up with not just the OS X installer but also an external recovery partition that may come in handy if your hard drive dies and you're away from an Internet connection.

10.11 beach balls Final Cut Pro X upon startup, how do I go about downloading 10.11.1 Beta?

Edit: just signed up for the beta program but it just redirects me to the App Store with 10.11

2013 Macbook Air here, the animations have been smoothed up so much. And that new system font looks glorious on a non retina screen.

Captain.Falafel

Neo Member
Late-2012 MBP here who survived the update in case any others became hesitant after the poor fortune of the gaffer on the last page.

Very nice.

Installed. Annoyed that it feels slower than Yosemite on my Late-2013 iMac for some reason :/ At first i thought it was because Time Machine was making a new 15GB backup, but nope. It's really just not doing much as far as performance goes.

Installed. Annoyed that it feels slower than Yosemite on my Late-2013 iMac for some reason :/ At first i thought it was because Time Machine was making a new 15GB backup, but nope. It's really just not doing much as far as performance goes.

Spotlight reindexing.

Spotlight reindexing might take a while. It should feel better than Yosemite on that machine.

cjp

I'm torn between turning on 3 finger tap for previews + data lookup or turning it off which means 3 finger tap opens links in a new tab in Safari instead of right click > open in new tab (or cmd+click).

What do I do?

KingKong

I knew this was a minor update but I really had to dig and search to find what changed after installing. Doesn't seem to be any faster in any case

kaskade

I'm surprised we haven't seen much about content blocking on OS X. I'm guessing it's because there is already ad blocking on Safari with the old way. Hopefully we have something soon.

bionic77

Anything about improved battery life on older laptops?

My MBA 2012 definitely took a hit on Yosemite. I used to get 8 hours on a charge easy. Lucky to get 6 now. Battery health is still pretty good too so I don't think it is that.

THe snap ripoff is much needed. Not as intuitive or quick as the Windows alternative, but very happy to have it. Does anybody know if there is a keyboard shortcut?

Anything about improved battery life on older laptops?

My MBA 2012 definitely took a hit on Yosemite. I used to get 8 hours on a charge easy. Lucky to get 6 now. Battery health is still pretty good too so I don't think it is that.

I'm with you there, my 2013 MBA Suffers on battery these days, although I always suspect it's Chrome using up the juice, but Google has said they've paid a lot of attention to fixing that.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
THe snap ripoff is much needed. Not as intuitive or quick as the Windows alternative, but very happy to have it. Does anybody know if there is a keyboard shortcut?.

Yeah, it's still not nearly as useful as the Windows alternative, in my opinion. I would like a keyboard shortcut, too. Windows Key + left or right is just too handy.

Seems to be a lot snappier animation-wise on my 5k iMac, Mission Control/etc. used to lag a bit on Yosemite.

Looks like the update might have fixed the issue I was having with Safari continually ballooning to 1+ GB of RAM, haven't ran into any weird memory leaks yet.

Received my SSD and ready to install, downloaded El Capitan and it's waiting on my USB stick.

I've been restarting a Time Machine backup 3 times now since it always get stuck at around the 30-40GB range (of 320GB to back up, ran it overnight last night and it did not budge when I looked at it this morning). Just restarted it again, disabled spotlight indexing, reformatted the HDD (it's a brand new 1TB WD), no anti-virus enabled/installed...

It's been infuriating. Now it backs up at a decent speed but I feel it's going to stall again. Any tips from people who had similar experience would be greatly appreciated.

OSX could not be installed on your computer

File system verify or repair failed

Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again.

I restarted a couple of times and ran the disk utility. No dice. Thank god for backups.

Ugh... 12 hours for at me machine recovery. I guess it's a good opportunity to do some housecleaning on my iMac before I attempt this again.

Top Bottom