• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X El Capitan [OT]

There's not a lot in this upgrade that I'm super psyched about, but performance and the little tweaks here and there will add up. I'll be installing this on my personal laptop at least.

LordOfChaos

This will be my first. Questions:

1. How do you do a clean install? Is it part of the upgrade process?

2. It will replace Yosemite, yes? No older files hanging around eating up disk space?

1) No, the regular way just gets you an upgrade. Use DiskMakerX to make a bootable install disk

2) If you clean install, yeah. Reformat the drive for good measure.

Fuchsdh

This will be my first. Questions:

1. How do you do a clean install? Is it part of the upgrade process?

2. It will replace Yosemite, yes? No older files hanging around eating up disk space?

1. You'd need to boot from an installer on a bootable USB or similar; you can't wipe the volume you're installing from (you could clean install to a blank partition or another disk though.)
2. Yes.

Stig94

Neo Member
The update is not showing up in my Mac app store and neither is it available to find,

Its my first time updating the OS on a Mac am i missing something?

There's not a lot in this upgrade that I'm super psyched about, but performance and the little tweaks here and there will add up. I'll be installing this on my personal laptop at least.

To be honest, it's sensible to expect the next major revision of OS X to be pretty modest too. I'm really just hoping for Siri and the overdue breakup of iTunes and not a ton else. If I'm really lucky we'll get a new file system to replace HFS+. But there's honestly not a huge amount left to do *on the actual OS side* to improve Macs - instead, Apple needs to focus more and more on stepping up their cloud services game.

samn

To be honest, it's sensible to expect the next major revision of OS X to be pretty modest too. I'm really just hoping for Siri and the overdue breakup of iTunes and not a ton else. If I'm really lucky we'll get a new file system to replace HFS+. But there's honestly not a huge amount left to do *on the actual OS side* to improve Macs - instead, Apple needs to focus more and more on stepping up their cloud services game.

I'm not sure Apple as a company are really built for making good cloud services.

To be honest, it's sensible to expect the next major revision of OS X to be pretty modest too. I'm really just hoping for Siri and the overdue breakup of iTunes and not a ton else. If I'm really lucky we'll get a new file system to replace HFS+. But there's honestly not a huge amount left to do *on the actual OS side* to improve Macs.

I would argue that this has been true since Snow Leopard.
Which is why Snow Leopard is the best version of OS X

I mean, full screen is nice, as is continuity, but they're all "extras," so to speak.

I'm not sure Apple as a company are really built for making good cloud services.

I agree with Ben Thompson that culturally and in terms of business incentives they're simply not built around it, yeah. Device-to-device stuff like Bonjour/AirPlay/AirDrop/Continuity/Apple Pay remains stellar, of course.

I would argue that this has been true since Snow Leopard.
Which is why Snow Leopard is the best version of OS X

I mean, full screen is nice, as is continuity, but they're all "extras," so to speak.

Snow Leopard is great, sure, but Mavericks and El Capitan both introduced a lot of great stability/battery life/performance improvements. Lion/Mountain Lion/Yosemite are less so, of course, but if you're all about a rock-solid foundation I honestly prefer Mavericks (and I expect that the final version of El Capitan will beat out the final version of Mavericks).

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
I'm loving my new 2015 MacBook Pro 13-inch Retina. The Apple ecosystem is amazing with my Mac and 6s+. Also PS4 3.0 update and El Captain the same day should be interesting playing with both.

Sounds good. I'll have to do the usual checks to make sure all my regular apps are compatible. Pretty short list though, so I expect to be good to go in short order.

any word on how the new bootcamp drivers work with win 10? The fans and temperatures were really bad for me under windows 7/8.1 in bootcamp, and I heard someone say that the fan and temperature control is much better with the new drivers. Any word on that?

Sanjuro

any word on how the new bootcamp drivers work with win 10? The fans and temperatures were really bad for me under windows 7/8.1 in bootcamp, and I heard someone say that the fan and temperature control is much better with the new drivers. Any word on that?

I'm interested in this as well. I deleted my W10 partition, but Boot Camp fans have always been pretty random. Hope there has been some tweaks.

samn

I agree with Ben Thompson that culturally and in terms of business incentives they're simply not built around it, yeah. Device-to-device stuff like Bonjour/AirPlay/AirDrop/Continuity/Apple Pay remains stellar, of course.

Well even if you look at the device to device stuff, discoveryd was a trainwreck that wasn't fixed for a year. That was actually shocking.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Looking forward to it. Split-view might be cool. I really just want the "snap to side" feature that Windows has had since 7, though.

Yeah, right now with iCloud Photo Library they don't show up at all, not even as normal photos

They show up as normal photos for me...

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Does split view work like windows?
The way it works on OS X is thusly:

You have spaces.

An individual window can be put in fullscreen and have its own space. (If supported. And El Capitan brings support to apps that never had support before so it's pretty cool.)

You can then take two spaced windows and put them next to each other to share a single space.

The Desktop cannot be its own space like Windows can. (Sadly)

When you switch between spaces, the coupled spaces are a single space.

You can drag and drop windows from the desktop Mission Control view, or drag existing space thumbnails on top of each other to couple them. You cannot however separate two spaces without taking them both out of fullscreen. (Stupid oversight)

If you hold the mouse down on a window's green zoom/maximize button, you can drag it to the left or right and dock it, then it will let you choose a second window from the pool of eligible windows to put on the other side.

When the titlebar or draggable area of a window is visible, you can swap which side they are on without having to take them out of and put back in fullscreen. Really nice.

You can resize the windows freely unlike iOS which I believe either snaps to 1/2 or 2/3 view.

Unlike iOS, split view works on a per window basis, not a per app basis. So you CAN have two Safari windows next to each other unlike on iOS where you can only have one Safari app and one other app. This is a plus.

You CAN put HTML5 videos in split view. I use this all the time. There's a lot of wasted space (Man, OS X could REALLY use a PIP mode for this) but it's great for watching a keynote and browsing the live reactions thread for it. Or keeping a YouTube video in the background while you browse.

It needs some improvements however:

You cannot make the desktop a space if that is something you would like.

Spaces are counted as groups of windows instead of having two groups of spaces that you can switch between. i.e. You can't have one app that is always on the side of the screen and switch between the others on the other side which is how I thought it worked at first. Not a big deal, but there are plenty of times this could be useful.

You can't drag spaces apart from Mission Control. As I mentioned you have to take both spaces out. Or you can take one out individually. Either way you can't make a couple space into two spaces in one step. It will always take at least 2.

You cannot have more than 2 windows coupled. So if you are looking to do 3 at once, no dice.

Unlike iOS, apps aren't really built to detect being smaller so you don't get the awesome compact views like in iOS. This could easily be remedied if devs decide to. (Like if Twitter's website were designed to become a more compact view if it is in a thinner window.) If a Safari page is shrunk too narrow, it automatically zooms the page instead of wrapping all the elements. And Notes would benefit from a compact view. It doesn't even hide its sidebar if docked.

While you can put HTML5 video like YouTube in fullscreen and stack it, when the video is over you will end up taking it out of fullscreen to switch to a new video unless that video happens to be in the post-video grid of suggestions. No biggie. Same thing would happen if you just used YouTube in fullscreen by itself anyway.

I wish I didnt splurge on Ulysses right before WWDC. The new Notes update fulfills just about everything I was looking for in a note taking app. Ah well.

EmiPrime

You CAN put HTML5 videos in split view. I use this all the time. There's a lot of wasted space (Man, OS X could REALLY use a PIP mode for this) but it's great for watching a keynote and browsing the live reactions thread for it. Or keeping a YouTube video in the background while you browse.

YES.

I don't care about split view (I have two monitors for my iMac setup and my MBA screen is too small for it) but I would love PIP.

Appl pls.

bionic77

Meh. I'll upgrade but I'll most likely continue to use my Windows 10 boot camp partition.
Did you max out ram and upgrade to SSD?

My wife has that model and it never chugs for her or me (I rarely use her laptop though).

I just hope battery improves for my MBA. It's a 2012 model and battery took a dump after Yosemite.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
YES.

I don't care about split view (I have two monitors for my iMac setup and my MBA screen is too small for it) but I would love PIP.

Appl pls.
Even if Apple didn't do it, it's quite possible to fake if a developer were to put their mind to it.

Basically you'd "fake" an external display. But instead of outputting the video for that display to an actual display, it would be drawn in a window. When you want to put something in PIP, simply drag it to that display. With a few hooks and some fancy code, it could be done and feel somewhat natural. When it's enabled, it would display itself over the main screen, floating on top and always in one place. (Unless you move it manually) And it would accept mouse and keyboard input like normal when focused. Its resolution would be native and depend on the size you have it at. When you mouse near it, a titlebar and draggable edges would appear to help you position it.

If only the AirDisplay could take on the challenge. They already have the code. They just need to make it draw to a window on the computer instead of sending it over WiFi.

Anyone have any anecdotal evidence regarding the speedier app launching and switching? Would be incredible if Office programs in particular launched faster.

Swag

Are the improvements to spotlight only going live when El Capitan officially releases? They don't seem to be active on my Mac yet running the GM.

mrkgoo

Is just like to know how and if Aperture runs on El Capitan.

I know, I know, need to move on, but with an 800 GB photo library ts hard to consider what I need to move to.

In due time, but how is not it.

$h@d0w

Remember guys, expect buggy crap just like first releases of 10.10, 10.9 etc. etc.

No way I am installing this on day one.

I'm stilling having problems, since the beta, where my iMac freezes upon wake. It's just a black glowing screen. I haven't added any USB devices to my computer, but I do recognize that I have a lot connected via two USB hubs. Did they change USB power management? Is there any way I can diagnose what has changed on my end that might be causing the problem?

Even my Time Machine drive fails and disconnects now.

Remember guys, expect buggy crap just like first releases of 10.10, 10.9 etc. etc.

No way I am installing this on day one.

El Capitan is already way more stable than Yosemite ever was for me. Finally fixing the Yosemite wifi bug for good was easily worth jumping on the public beta as soon as possible.

Fuchsdh

Whelp, I didn't realize how serious System Integrity Protection in El Capitan is. It totally breaks TotalFinder & probably HyperDock too :( Love these apps and I guess I stay away from El Capitan for now :/

It's funny, but I completely stay away from those kinds of utilities now. Partly because I think the Finder does what I want it to, and also because I still remember how much crap got broken in OS 9 or PPC OS X with things like APE. Was a troubleshooting nightmare.

(Plus I don't want to add anything I won't be able to rely on at work on those machines.)

I know, I know, need to move on, but with an 800 GB photo library ts hard to consider what I need to move to.

Reportedly it still works fine. I mean even Final Cut 7 still works AFAIK (although it's on death row because of its deprecated media cores.)

jstripes

Banned

Aperture runs OK on El Capitan. The Nik plugins give me trouble, though.

I'm sticking with it because there's no real alternative for me at this time. (Don't say Lightroom.)

Top Bottom