• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OSX High Sierra is now available via the Mac App Store as a free upgrade

pestul

The upgrade of my late 2009 iMac was pretty uneventful. I've noticed that it didn't bother changing me from HFS+ to APFS though.

Been a frustrating experience for me on High Sierra (Late 2011 MBP).

Overall the OS has been aite, but it's really fucking with my ability to use VMWare Fusion--I'm unable to connect to any network inside any virtual machine I run, and on top of that, none of my vm's are recognizing any usb devices...wtf >_>.

Fyi, for what it's worth, I was able to resolve my issues by essentially 'disabling' Gatekeeper -_-.

Tried connecting one of my external hardrives and realised after a few minutes of waiting it isn't gonna show due to the new OS. Checked disk utility and it shows but I can't read/write, kinda sucks and makes me wish I didn't upgrade because there's not been any changes of note.

jiiikoo

Banned
The people who have been having issues with iMessage rest assured, the next update seems to fix a lot of the problems. Mine has been working all day really well since I updated to the beta version of 10.13.1.

bionic77

i am waiting until .1 for my MBA.

And I am waiting until they figure out how to upgrade fusion drives to the latest file system without fucking up your computer before I upgrade the iMac.

jts

...hate me...
Still haven’t made a backup. Stopped it halfway the other day, hope it resumes when I plug the drive again.

So I’m not hearing the praises from those switching to APFS? Isn’t it supposed to save some space and be quite faster too?

Upgrade super smooth on both '14 MPB Retina and
'14
'17 Mac Mini 2.6 GHz. The Mini didn't get converted to APFS (because HDD), but everything went quickly. No iMessage issues, handoff works fine from my phone, etc. etc.

Maybe it's because I don't have a lot of custom apps or tweaks on either, but these always seem to go super smoothly. Contrast that to the last major Win10 update, which broke my wife's PC so badly we had to nuke it and start over.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
My boss complained about the same thing. Also doesn't work on my MBP.
This happened to me, and it turned out to be a Chrome extension (in my case Pocket Casts) that was occupying those keys. Worked after deactivating it.
A restart fixed it, still not sure of what triggered it though. I sent in a bug report in any case.

edit:

qbz3I1x.gif

grmlin

So,
holy fuck. I did it, Sierra is back on my Mac.

If you can't find the installation for it find someone with a running Sierra installation and get the BaseImage from the recovery partition. You can create a new bootable USB medium with it after you downloaded the rest of the installer.

If anyone is interested in the exact procedure let me know.

I have a question. I have a subscribed calendar that is saved to a localhost on my Mac in I Cal. Is there anyway I can make that localhost subscribed calendar appear on iOS devices?

Ambitious

I have a question. I have a subscribed calendar that is saved to a localhost on my Mac in I Cal. Is there anyway I can make that localhost subscribed calendar appear on iOS devices?

I don't know your use case, but it might be similar to mine. I've written a script which periodically crawls the website of my favorite club, parses its events and stores them in an ics file.

I didn't feel like dealing with webspace or remote access or whatever, so I simply put the file into my Dropbox and subscribed to its public URL. That way, it's available on all of my devices.

If i format my iMac to APFS, will it then become incompatible with all my external hdd's and thumb drives? Or will everything work just the same?

Ambitious

iTunes was somehow updated to 12.7. I must have accidentally scheduled the update in the MAS notification instead of postponing it. Fuck this shit.

I installed the Supplemental Update from a few days ago and now my copy/paste doesn't work. Just straight up nothing ever makes it into the clipboard. Seems like I'm going to have to fresh install and cross my fingers that it works but this is super annoying

I installed the Supplemental Update from a few days ago and now my copy/paste doesn't work. Just straight up nothing ever makes it into the clipboard. Seems like I'm going to have to fresh install and cross my fingers that it works but this is super annoying
Hope you’re under warranty. The only thing that worked for me was a logic board repair courtesy of the Genius Bar.

Reversed

Oh, dear. :( I had to reinstall Steam because it couldn't run. It crashes at "Verifying installation". Tried looking at /Library/Application Support/Steam/*, but there is nothing.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Oh, dear. :( I had to reinstall Steam because it couldn't run. It crashes at "Verifying installation". Tried looking at /Library/Application Support/Steam/*, but there is nothing.
Reinstalling Steam is trivial.

Reinstalling all your games too is terrible.

Which is why I don't keep any of my games in the default location. Create a new folder elsewhere on the drive and install your games there. Much safer and you can zap your Steam install whenever you need to without worrying about accidentally deleting all your games. Or an OS update accidentally erasing some Library files that just happen to be your Steam games.

Reversed

I think I didn't write it clear. I cannot run Steam on HS even after a reinstall! :(

My game folder is small. Way smaller with those Mac compatible games. Waiting for less than 20 minutes of downloading and installing isn't so much.

I'll retry with a beta client by activating that option... from my Windows client. I've read posts of users on the Steam forum running theirs with HS.

Top Bottom