• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| French Presidential Elect 2017 - La France est toujours insoumise; Le Pen loses

GAF Decides

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mael

That's not relevant, what's interesting is that it's quite clearly a political move to appease the Modem. Which shows that their "rules" can be bent if it's favorable for them.

Everything anyone who ran for the presidency did since the start of the extended campaign was a political move.
When LREM go and release the numbers on the people they have invested for the next election that is a political move.
When they blackballed Valls it was also a (hilarious) political move.
Similarly what Valls pulled during the whole campaign was (shitty) political moves after another.
When Mélenchon goes and claims that he will run in Marseille, that is also a political move.
A political party not bending its rules when it's convenient is a political party on its way to irrelevancy.

e: top of the page, my god sooooooooo much wrong with pains aux chocolat being so high!

Fisico

I would advise from refraining this kind of stuffs in the future. You're basically calling people willful liars over petty things.
It's annoying and basically diminish whatever meaning that expression has.
Now everytime someone hears alternative facts it's not going to be because someone is saying the sun is shining when it's a fucking snowstorm but because someone got pissy on the internet.

You're totally right let's avoid one line comment that doesn't bring anything else than fuel to the fire.

I wouldn't have found a better description of Mélenchon's campaign, thanks!

:(
I mean you were trying to be reasonable just one sentence above, what

I mean it's pretty clear that there won't be any kind of deep meaningful discussion here, some tried earlier (including myself) but it's either being blatantly ignored or we end up with some random jab on one side or the other which is then quoted ad nauseam because j/k, /s, irony or whatever else.

Macron is not any kind of messiah, he's our elected president so I hope he will do his best for the sake of the country (and by that I include France as a whole) but it's still up to debate and we have elements to think that what he thinks is the sake of the country might only be for the sake of a few, it's not as blatant as other candidates

If I were to give random predictions I'd say that from an economical point of view the situation will most likely improve, in 5 years we will have an unemployment rate around 8% (with more insecure jobs than ever), the GDP will grow by 1.5% annually during his mandate, unless we have more terrorist attacks there will be more tourism than ever, our exchange balance will improve while still staying in the negative.
As for the debt it will still rise, although at a much lower pace than these past years probably crossing the 100% milestone by the end of his current mandate

At the same time I don't think anything will improve in regard to inequalities, except on the gender and race side, but I'd argue it will have more to do with mentalities improving, NGO and politics already in place than any new policy he will promote, we might have one big societal law like euthanasy or some other things that might be used as a distraction while voting other laws on the economical front.
Meanwhile there will be even more homeless people, the rich will be more rich, the poor more poor, people will work more on average but productivity will be slightly down, the wellfare system will continue to reimburse even less costs than before while health insurance will keep getting more and more expensive especially for people not being CSP or working for big companies eg. once again a two tiers system where the one with less money available will pay more than the others

Taxation might be overall a little lower than it currently is, though I do see him trying to add 1 or 2 points to VAT at some point if anything goes wrong on the budget side (do I need to remind that VAT is the most unfair tax that exists?)
We will probably get closer than ever to Deutschland on interest rate of the public debt (I'd say as close as 1.5% on the 10 years loans), purchasing power will be slighly up on average but down for the majority of the population,

On the public services it will get worse once again, his idea to cut "taxe d'habitation" for 80% will have terrible consequences if applied because that's the biggest source of income for most cities and we know than the state will never give enough compensation so we'll have various funds on associations, sports and cultural events that will need to be cut (because we goddamn know it's not on the security front that money will be removed)

On the ecological front not much will change either, we will still advance with short term prospects in mind first eg. we have invested way too much on nuclear energy to shift now so let's make the best of it and the eventual consequences of staying that way will only be noticed in decades from now anyway.

I don't know much about his politic platform for education so I'm not gonna say much, but on post bac studies I see nothing improving in regard to equality however, we might get a better "elite" which is not a bad news per se but doesn't really matter for most people in the end when you're not included in said elite and the social ladder is harder than ever to climb (for the latter one might think it could improve when looking at the "startup" way of thinking, but while there may and will be notable examples of people rising quickly at a young age after being born in a lower social class family, social reproduction will still being stronger than ever on average).

I also see him trying or at least openly talk about fully privatizing either La Poste, SNCF, EDF or another big public company, that's a very hard topic to defend though so he might only get on that on his second mandate if he's elected once again.

Alx

I'll never understand why so many people reduce the Macron policies to "it's all about the big companies" when he's especially popular among start-uppers and smaller companies.

we might get a better "elite" which is not a bad news per se but doesn't really matter for most people in the end when you're not included in said elite and the social ladder is harder than ever to climb (for the latter one might think it could improve when looking at the "startup" way of thinking, but while there may and will be notable examples of people rising quickly at a young age after being born in a lower social class family, social reproduction will still being stronger than ever on average).

A start-up isn't only a quick way for a single person to get rich. More than that, it's a new company being created on a new market, creating jobs that didn't exist before.
Also start-ups aren't all created by young people.

Mael

You're totally right let's avoid one line comment that doesn't bring anything else than fuel to the fire.
I'm not saying that to elevate the level, I'm saying that because words have meanings and we shouldn't abuse them in that way.
I'm just saying don't cry wolf.

:(
I mean you were trying to be reasonable just one sentence above, what
Hey, I stand by my point. Mélenchon this year is probably the most effective political marketing campaign I've seen in the last 5 years.
There's very little in term of content but the package sure is attractive!

I mean it's pretty clear that there won't be any kind of deep meaningful discussion here, some tried earlier (including myself) but it's either being blatantly ignored or we end up with some random jab on one side or the other which is then quoted ad nauseam because j/k, /s, irony or whatever else.
It happens everywhere, we can still get meaningful conversations going but there's very little news now so it can get kind of random.
Once shit starts happening again you'll see a better level.
Macron is not any kind of messiah, he's our elected president so I hope he will do his best for the sake of the country (and by that I include France as a whole) but it's still up to debate and we have elements to think that what he thinks is the sake of the country might only be for the sake of a few, it's not as blatant as other candidates
I don't agree here.
I firmly believe that above all else every candidate actually think they can help the country and its people. They disagree on the ways to do it (and with LePen on the actual people too), but I really think that they believe what they're saying.
I have no doubt that Mélenchon is still convinced that his policies would help the country more than what the other propose, that doesn't mean he's dumb for thinking that. It means that people in France largely disagreed however.
The team behind them however...
If I were to give random predictions I'd say that from an economical point of view the situation will most likely improve, in 5 years we will have an unemployment rate around 8% (with more insecure jobs than ever), the GDP will grow by 1.5% annually during his mandate, unless we have more terrorist attacks there will be more tourism than ever, our exchange balance will improve while still staying in the negative.
As for the debt it will still rise, although at a much lower pace than these past years probably crossing the 100% milestone by the end of his current mandate
Depends on what he's planning to do, we could actually the debt getting reduced if they know wtf they're doing. If the growth is there the deficit could drop too.

At the same time I don't think anything will improve in regard to inequalities, except on the gender and race side, but I'd argue it will have more to do with mentalities improving, NGO and politics already in place than any new policy he will promote, we might have one big societal law like euthanasy or some other things that might be used as a distraction while voting other laws on the economical front.
Meanwhile there will be even more homeless people, the rich will be more rich, the poor more poor, people will work more on average but productivity will be slightly down, the wellfare system will continue to reimburse even less costs than before while health insurance will keep getting more and more expensive especially for people not being CSP or working for big companies eg. once again a two tiers system where the one with less money available will pay more than the others
I actually disagree here too on 1 thing.
Racism is not getting anywhere.
It's largely taboo and no one wants to even talk about it so expect things to stay as they are with minimal improvment.
The kind of blatant sexism politics got away with before however is going away though.
Taxation might be overall a little lower than it currently is, though I do see him trying to add 1 or 2 points to VAT at some point if anything goes wrong on the budget side (do I need to remind that VAT is the most unfair tax that exists?)
We will probably get closer than ever to Deutschland on interest rate of the public debt (I'd say as close as 1.5% on the 10 years loans), purchasing power will be slighly up on average but down for the majority of the population,
Agreed.
On the public services it will get worse once again, his idea to cut "taxe d'habitation" for 80% will have terrible consequences if applied because that's the biggest source of income for most cities and we know than the state will never give enough compensation so we'll have various funds on associations, sports and cultural events that will need to be cut (because we goddamn know it's not on the security front that money will be removed)
'Taxe d'habitation' is the basically like 'taxe professionel' in the way that small communities are going to go to shit after that.
I suggest anyone who live in small towns to move to big towns or Paris because shit is going to get wild.
With even less budget, small collectivities will be even less attractive and you'll only see poverty there. And not the kind of glamourus poverty that you can put on TV.
On the ecological front not much will change either, we will still advance with short term prospects in mind first eg. we have invested way too much on nuclear energy to shift now so let's make the best of it and the eventual consequences of staying that way will only be noticed in decades from now anyway.
I see that improving. Hopefully we do away with Diesel now. Macron seems open to initiative and is probably going to help on this more than people would expect
I don't know much about his politic platform for education so I'm not gonna say much, but on post bac studies I see nothing improving in regard to equality however, we might get a better "elite" which is not a bad news per se but doesn't really matter for most people in the end when you're not included in said elite and the social ladder is harder than ever to climb (for the latter one might think it could improve when looking at the "startup" way of thinking, but while there may and will be notable examples of people rising quickly at a young age after being born in a lower social class family, social reproduction will still being stronger than ever on average).
Yeah, no. School is fucked for the foreable future.
They've been fucked since the 80's it's not going to improve.
Hopefully the next minister doesn't try to go from scratch from the last one and they try to do something after Sarkozy made it his mission to fuck it up.
I also see him trying or at least openly talk about fully privatizing either La Poste, SNCF, EDF or another big public company, that's a very hard topic to defend though so he might only get on that on his second mandate if he's elected once again.
LaPoste should modernize, the banking should be made private.
SNCF should be fully privatized or act a fucking public service.
EDF is complicated.
If Macron touch this you'll see people in the street even to defend fucking useless SNCF.

Fisico

I'll never understand why so many people reduce the Macron policies to "it's all about the big companies" when he's especially popular among start-uppers and smaller companies.

A start-up isn't only a quick way for a single person to get rich. More than that, it's a new company being created on a new market, creating jobs that didn't exist before.
Also start-ups aren't all created by young people.

Nothing I say in my post contradict your post nor do I disagree with it :p

Hey, I stand by my point. Mélenchon this year is probably the most effective political marketing campaign I've seen in the last 5 years.
There's very little in term of content but the package sure is attractive!

It was effective, most effective I wouldn't say so since he didn't win in the end, he was also someone who already have a >11% electorship 5 years ago.

In the meantime you had someone with no political party nor background, which wasn't even known by anyone 3 years ago, whose program was only known a few months (even weeks?) before the election that DID ended up winning.

So no the most effective political campaign was En Marche and that's not up to debate (FI was most likely the second more effective though), now the content of the program is another entire matter.

I don't agree here

I might have not worded it properly because we do agree.

Depends on what he's planning to do, we could actually the debt getting reduced if they know wtf they're doing. If the growth is there the deficit could drop too.

Well there's a lot of worldwide economical conjoncture that no french politic can change whatsoever, we technically could have elected Le Pen and ended up with a much better economic situation if evertything goes well around us.
My pronostic is just that overall the situation will improve but not by much, there won't be any radical change and that much is certain.

I suggest anyone who live in small towns to move to big towns or Paris because shit is going to get wild.
With even less budget, small collectivities will be even less attractive and you'll only see poverty there. And not the kind of glamourus poverty that you can put on TV.

Ehhhh guess where are Le Pen's voters coming from? Basically it fuels the argument that "FN will be even stronger in 2022" if things do go that way :(

Working with one of the two big french automobile company I can tell you that nothing will change in the coming years :(

If Macron touch this you'll see people in the street even to defend fucking useless SNCF.

Well when you've seen how it ended up in the UK things could be much much worse going private
I think you're living in Japan? (EDIT: Checked your older posts, it was probably another poster in this thread) I think it would be nice if privatization ended up as well as it did there but the mindsets are just too different and we all know privatizing would end up closer to the UK's situation than Japan's.

"Fucking useless" SNCF is also a big stretch, they have a lot of problems that's for sure but they're still doing a lot and shouldn't be dismissed like that.

Alx

'Taxe d'habitation' is the basically like 'taxe professionel' in the way that small communities are going to go to shit after that.

As a matter of fact I think that small communities have a big card to play in the coming years with the deployment of high speed internet all around the country. They could become attractive to small companies of the new economy, for people who are looking for a better quality of life ; not everybody is fine with living in huge cities. (Nothing directly related to taxe d'habitation though).

Alx

I don't think it will change much in the end, they're no real threat in size. To me the shocking part is how blatant it is that they're considering politics as a business :
L'alliance, qualifiée de "cartel", de "plateforme" ou de "partenariat", et qui sera concurrente du Front national, vise pour ces petites formations de l'extrême droite à obtenir un financement public, possible dès que 50 candidats ont obtenu plus d'1% des suffrages exprimés au premier tour des législatives.

"who cares if we don't win, we're just here for the public funding"

Sinsem

As a matter of fact I think that small communities have a big card to play in the coming years with the deployment of high speed internet all around the country. They could become attractive to small companies of the new economy, for people who are looking for a better quality of life ; not everybody is fine with living in huge cities. (Nothing directly related to taxe d'habitation though).

They did that already. And, at least for me, it's not working that well because after 3 years I'm moving to the city again. And leaving a 20K inhabitants town in the middle of Britanny for Rennes has almost only advantages (because I can afford it).

Killing the "taxe d'habitation" is killing small towns. That's Macron most dangerous proposition.

Magni

Well when you've seen how it ended up in the UK things could be much much worse going private
I think you're living in Japan? (EDIT: Checked your older posts, it was probably another poster in this thread) I think it would be nice if privatization ended up as well as it did there but the mindsets are just too different and we all know privatizing would end up closer to the UK's situation than Japan's.

"Fucking useless" SNCF is also a big stretch, they have a lot of problems that's for sure but they're still doing a lot and shouldn't be dismissed like that.

I'm the one in Japan :) Kinda hard to compare Japan Rail (JR) to SNCF, since France and Japan are quite different. JR being a private company, prices are more expensive. Service is better, but I personally think that's more of a cultural thing than a public vs private thing. I've always had a great experience when going to the town hall for all sorts of various paperwork here, can't say the same for when I lived in France.

I'm not sure privatization is the solution for SNCF, but I think it's in need of reform. Either we accept it as a public service, meaning we recognize that making a profit is _not_ an obligation, and we focus on improving service. Or we open the railroad industry up to private competition.

Oreiller

Something has to be done about the SNCF for sure (but I'm not sure what exactly), but I really hope they will make sure to avoid making the same mistakes as the UK. The train service there is utterly dreadful, I really missed the SNCF when I lived there.

Kuldar

I don't think it will change much in the end, they're no real threat in size. To me the shocking part is how blatant it is that they're considering politics as a business :

"who cares if we don't win, we're just here for the public funding"
The whole Le Pen family business is to lend money to candidate for their campain and to sell them election kits, so it's not surprising.

For the full privatization of the SNCF, I hope you use a profitable train line, because a lot of them aren't and they would be cancelled really quickly.

Fisico

So

- M. Gérard Collomb, ministre d’État, ministre de l’Intérieur

- M. Nicolas Hulot, ministre d’État, ministre de la Transition écologique et solidaire

- M. François Bayrou, ministre d’État, Garde des Sceaux, ministre de la Justice

- Mme Sylvie Goulard, ministre des Armées

- M. Jean-Yves Le Drian, ministre de l’Europe et des Affaires étrangères

- M. Richard Ferrand, ministre de la Cohésion des territoires

- Mme Agnès Buzyn, ministre des Solidarités et de la Santé

- Mme Françoise Nyssen, ministre de la Culture

- M. Bruno Le Maire, ministre de l’Économie

- Mme Murielle Pénicaud, ministre du Travail

- M. Jean-Michel Blanquer, ministre de l’Éducation nationale

- M. Jacques Mézard, ministre de l’Agriculture et de l’Alimentation

- M. Gérald Darmanin, ministre de l’Action et des comptes publics

- Mme Frédérique Vidal, ministre de l’Enseignement supérieur, de la Recherche, et de l’Innovation

- Mme Annick Girardin, ministre des Outre-Mers

- Mme Laura Flessel, ministre des Sports

- Mme Élisabeth Borne, ministre auprès du ministre d’État, ministre de la Transition écologique chargée des Transports

- Mme Marielle de Sarnez, ministre auprès du ministre de l’Europe et des Affaires étrangères, chargée Affaires européennes

Sont nommés secrétaires d’État :

- M. Christophe Castaner, chargé des Relations avec le Parlement, Porte-parole gouvernement

- Mme Marlène Schiappa, chargée de l’Égalité entre les femmes et les hommes

- Mme Sophie Cluzel, chargée des Personnes handicapées

- M. Mounir Mahjoubi, chargé du Numérique

All the big names that were expected are there (Ferrand, Collomb, Bayrou, de Sarnez, Le Drian, Goulard, Le Maire) with the biggest roles, Hulot I didn't see that coming he probably wants to have a shot but I can't see him last for too long, I'd love to be wrong though.

Lots of name I don't know, but I'm not that versed in the political landscape bar the most known names.

Alx

It's a strange switch between Le Drian and Goulard.
I'm fine with Bayrou at justice, for some reason I didn't feel him appropriate to foreign affairs as the rumor went.

Coffinhal

The only women at a key minister* is not even specialized in Defense issues...she's into european affairs** I wonder why she didn't get the Foreign Affairs ministers and Le Drian didn't stay at Defense ?

*« pour moitié de femmes, y compris à des ministères de premiers plans ».
**"d'abord choisis pour leurs qualités et pour leur expérience"

Opportunity missed !

For key ministers it's not the best renewal we've seen too : Collomb, Bayrou, Le Maire, Le Drian, there's a former Hollande minister tool (Girardin) - but you have to keep your friends close and happy
There's a fair amount of new faces (and women to a general) have gender equality for lower ministers

By the way will Le Drian stay president of a local executive (region) ?

Well done for Hulot but he won't last long when he'll lose arbitrations and won't be able to do everything he wanted. Having a former Areva lobbyist above you will cause trouble for sure

edit :
DACE5xTXsAA0Vbv.jpg:small

and nope it's not a full minister

Mimosa97

Le Drian was a great minister. I'm glad he's staying. He was the only popular minister under Hollande.

Why did he choose Bayrou to lead the justice reform our country desperately needs ? Bayrou is the most useless politician of the last 30 years. I like the guy but i despise the politician. I kinda agree with houellebecq when he portrays him as weak. Imo macron made a big mistake.

Khaz

Why isn't this thread dead already? It's always the same few French posters for the last several pages. No one cares any more. It's time to let go.

Alx

Why isn't this thread dead already? It's always the same few French posters for the last several pages. No one cares any more. It's time to let go.

There are major elections in less than one month that will be just as important to decide how effective the elected president can be in the next 5 years.

Sad to not have a proper "ministère du logement". I hope it's going to be profoundly tackled during the next 5 years.

Why do you care?

Let people talk about what they want.

Alrus

The only women at a key minister* is not even specialized in Defense issues...she's into european affairs** I wonder why she didn't get the Foreign Affairs ministers and Le Drian didn't stay at Defense ?

*« pour moitié de femmes, y compris à des ministères de premiers plans ».
**"d'abord choisis pour leurs qualités et pour leur expérience"

Opportunity missed !

Santé, Travail and Culture aren't key ministers?

Edit: I'd say Recherche et Enseignement supérieur is also a fairly important one.

Magni

Oh god, that's so bad it reminds me of Penelope "I never said I worked for him, I said I worked with him". Everyone can see through you Nicolas. Go away.

Le Drian was a great minister. I'm glad he's staying. He was the only popular minister under Hollande.

Why did he choose Bayrou to lead the justice reform our country desperately needs ? Bayrou is the most useless politician of the last 30 years. I like the guy but i despise the politician. I kinda agree with houellebecq when he portrays him as weak. Imo macron made a big mistake.

I'm cautiously optimistic with regards to Bayrou (and the government as a whole). I think Justice is a good fit for him, what with his focus on cleaning up politics.

Regarding Goulard and Le Drian, I kinda wish their roles had been inverted, but I feel like they both fit in both places. I'm curious if Goulard (who speaks German), will help push for a more unified European army.

Alx

I wonder why did they rename the "Ministère de la Défense" to "Ministère des Armées"?

Le Monde commented on it mentioning that the "Défense" as a general concept is constitutionally the exclusivity of the president. So it might be a way for Macron to draw the line and make people remember it. He seemed quite eager to show that part of his function in the last few days.

I'm cautiously optimistic with regards to Bayrou (and the government as a whole). I think Justice is a good fit for him, what with his focus on cleaning up politics.

Yeah we'll see. From what I understand the major issue for justice right now isn't really to have morality reforms, but find enough funds to just make it work. I don't know how good an accountant Bayrou is, but he better find people good at juggling with numbers.

To be fair with NDA, his negotiations with MLP led to her dropping the idea of leaving Euro during the campaign, which helped a lot in reducing her credibility. So thanks for the treason Nicolas. ^^

Cabaratier

Neo Member

I came here to read the French posters' take on Macron's cabinet appointments. Why are you here?

Coffinhal

Santé, Travail and Culture aren't key ministers?

Edit: I'd say Recherche et Enseignement supérieur is also a fairly important one.

Nope these are not "ministère régaliens"
They did twist the official order to get Santé/Culture above Economie (and Travail is just after that last one) in order to show that there is gender equality but don't be fooled haha

I wonder why did they rename the "Ministère de la Défense" to "Ministère des Armées"?

They did change the "Ministre des Affaires Etrangères et du Développement Internationnal" to "Ministre de l'Europe et des Affaires étrangères" too

It won't change much what is behind (the administrations) for these too, but for the Hulot's minister he might get other administrations behind him (Logement for instance)

G.O.O.

Regarding Le Drian / Goulard, keep in mind that both will be working on the Europe of defense (also read that Goulard & de Sarnez don't like each other very much)

And Darmanin better shut his pie hole about homosexuals so the gov't can allow gay Chechens to get emergency visas

Mael

Woah we got a full government !
Let me unpack that for a moment.

Nothing I say in my post contradict your post nor do I disagree with it :p
My mistake.

It was effective, most effective I wouldn't say so since he didn't win in the end, he was also someone who already have a >11% electorship 5 years ago.

In the meantime you had someone with no political party nor background, which wasn't even known by anyone 3 years ago, whose program was only known a few months (even weeks?) before the election that DID ended up winning.

So no the most effective political campaign was En Marche and that's not up to debate (FI was most likely the second more effective though), now the content of the program is another entire matter.

I think FI was mostly effective online, EM however was actually making inroads IRL.
There's a huge number of people who actually joined him and that

I might have not worded it properly because we do agree.

Well there's a lot of worldwide economical conjoncture that no french politic can change whatsoever, we technically could have elected Le Pen and ended up with a much better economic situation if evertything goes well around us.
My pronostic is just that overall the situation will improve but not by much, there won't be any radical change and that much is certain.

France is very good at hiding that it's doing good at all.
I can tell you that in the last 30 years there was no time where things seemed fine or improving even if it was true.
If we have someone like LePen we'll end up with our own little Frortie and crush any good international dynamic.
A good govt could be ahead of the curve and do better than the international average which is really what people actually want.

Ehhhh guess where are Le Pen's voters coming from? Basically it fuels the argument that "FN will be even stronger in 2022" if things do go that way :(

They're not all in small towns, it's however rather alarming that the only national party with a message to them is the FN.

Working with one of the two big french automobile company I can tell you that nothing will change in the coming years :(
And fuck.

Aha, I'm the guy from Phoenix, Arizona. I can tell you I have no love for the public service there (when it exists). You're never going to see rail there(and that's not why I have an issue with SNCF).

The current trend and situation of the SNCF is basically 'good' service for a rather good price if you go to one of the big cities (except Bordeaux because fuck you that's why).
If you don't go to these big hubs, rail is less than useless and you're better off carpooling, it's going to cost a fraction of the price and you'll be there waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay faster.
Live in Annecy and want to go to Poitier?
SNCF? starting at the low low price of €109 for 6h30
Carpooling? highest price is 51€ for 7h
That's just an example, I could choose Lyon-Bordeaux for another dose of laughable service for high price.
They are patently useless if are not on one of the way to or from Paris.
They won't be able to pay for the work that has to be done to install high speed internet if they have no ressource, it is a high cost and some of these communities are already in desperate need of money for regular functionning let alone doing any infrastructure work.
Killing the "taxe d'habitation" is killing small towns. That's Macron most dangerous proposition.
Yup
I'm the one in Japan :) Kinda hard to compare Japan Rail (JR) to SNCF, since France and Japan are quite different. JR being a private company, prices are more expensive. Service is better, but I personally think that's more of a cultural thing than a public vs private thing. I've always had a great experience when going to the town hall for all sorts of various paperwork here, can't say the same for when I lived in France.

I'm not sure privatization is the solution for SNCF, but I think it's in need of reform. Either we accept it as a public service, meaning we recognize that making a profit is _not_ an obligation, and we focus on improving service. Or we open the railroad industry up to private competition.

Exactly, there's no reason why SNCF should provide a lesser service than a fucking website that only direct people to carpool together.
The whole Le Pen family business is to lend money to candidate for their campain and to sell them election kits, so it's not surprising.

For the full privatization of the SNCF, I hope you use a profitable train line, because a lot of them aren't and they would be cancelled really quickly.

They are already cancelling non profitable lines and closing train stations, privatization could change the dynamic (or not) but it can't possibly do a worse job than what is already happening.

Alx

They won't be able to pay for the work that has to be done to install high speed internet if they have no ressource, it is a high cost and some of these communities are already in desperate need of money for regular functionning let alone doing any infrastructure work.

The deployment is already planned in most parts of the country for the next years. My native city of 2000 souls lost in the middle of nowhere will have optic fibre before 2020. :)
*edit - strike that, it's already deployed. woohoo. ^^

Mael

Not really feeling that government, time to shine for Bayrou though.
We'll finally see if all his rhetoric was worth shit.
e: did I say fuck the French GOP? Because fuck the republicans.
The deployment is already planned in most parts of the country for the next years. My native city of 2000 souls lost in the middle of nowhere will have optic fibre before 2020. :)
*edit - strike that, it's already deployed. woohoo. ^^

You're lucky!
Fiber deployment is weird like that, for the situations I know and followed near Annecy (a few years ago) you had fiber deployment being coupled with other infrastructure works to minimize costs.
So some towns were fully covered and others a little out of the way were still in dial-up level still waiting for any coverage.
There was a real political will to provide that service there so I think they should be covered now.
Another example I know in Yonne, you have the fiber following the river Yonne but some towns on the river aren't covered at all for some dumb reason. If you cut their funding fiber ain't going to come for quite a while.

Coffinhal

Well, Darmanin is actually an homophobic asshole.

He's a former pro-Sarkozy, young and ambitious ; that's perfect for Macron whose number 1 objective is to triangulate. He got three young men (huhuh) from UMP : one is close to Juppé, one is its own movement (Le Maire) and the other one is sarkozyst. Very symbolic. He didn't even bother with pro-Fillon

Sinsem

Overall there are a lot of names I don't know in this governement, but I can't say i'm happy so see the ones I actually already heard of.
I'm gessing Hulot is just there for marketing, 'cause ecology never was the strong suit of Macron, and Philippe has shown in the past that he did not give a shit about that.
Also Blanquet for Education is just frightening.

I have hopes in Nicolas Hulot. He is a genuinely good guy and he wouldn't have joined the government if he was to have no leeway in making big decisions (he declined joining like three previous governments before).

Mael

Overall there are a lot of names I don't know in this governement, but I can't say i'm happy so see the ones I actually already heard of.
I'm gessing Hulot is just there for marketing, 'cause ecology never was the strong suit of Macron, and Philippe has shown in the past that he did not give a shit about that.
Also Blanquet for Education is just frightening.

Again I don't think we should dismiss how EP's govt will act for the environment before they do something egregious.
Hulot, while utterly a marketing tool, is a good faith attempt at showing that they want to do something about it.
It's not Macron's area of expertise and never claimed it was or that he had any interest in it at all, however if he's willing to give enough latitude to his minister to do what the guy decide is right it should be more than enough. Hulot refused 3 times before the position so he was probably promised some freedom to run the minister as he sees fit.
And remember that Placé could have been chosen, we're not in the darkest timeline by far.
Hopefully it ends up better than the guy from L'abbey Pierre under Fillon.
Blanquet is a fucking nightmare for education, we're going to be set back for years.
If we go by what the guy did and even just what the fuck the Right usually does, it's going to be open season on public schools.

Professional cunt Dieudonné taking on Valls in Essonne.

Whoever wins we lose!
e: Dieudonné is running for FN?

Sotha Sil

Strange how this brave new post-politics golden age closely resembles the right-wing politics of yore. Still waiting for the leftist part of his platform to kick in, any day now !

Sotha Sil

Wait, Gérard Collomb is right wing now?

If that was a serious question : yes, yes he is

Unless you think anyone bearing the "PS" brand is left wing, which would be an interesting assertion. Manuel Valls comes to mind.

(Seriously though, I was mainly talking about ideas, not parties)

Sinsem

And remember that Placé could have been chosen, we're not in the darkest timeline by far.

lol, it could always been worse for sure. I'll be surprise if Placé can find something now, he might have do disappear (that would be one good news)

Blanquet is a fucking nightmare for education, we're going to be set back for years.
If we go by what the guy did and even just what the fuck the Right usually does, it's going to be open season on public schools.

Yeah that is the one I fear the most, but i wonder how far he'll try to go. Teachers don't deserve this.

Wait, Gérard Collomb is right wing now?

He's (was) in the right wing of the PS, which a lot of my fellow leftists consider a centrist party so, I want to say yeah.

Mael

lol, it could always been worse for sure. I'll be surprise if Placé can find something now, he might have do disappear (that would be one good news)

Let's victories where we can find them, Placé is done and over with and hopefully, he'll disappear like the little shit he is.

Yeah that is the one I fear the most, but i wonder how far he'll try to go. Teachers don't deserve this.

I hope he'll be the 1st to go and I mean that "they find some scandal or something and he's out in 2 days". The last thing French education system is even more skewing toward that shitty Grandes écoles system. And that's without talking about all the challenges for pre/primary/middle/high school.
I would have kept NVB myself.
It's still better than Jacques Toubon, the lowest you can go for that position.

He's (was) in the right wing of the PS, which a lot of my fellow leftists consider a centrist party so, I want to say yeah.

He's from Rhones-Alpes so I don't expect a commie exactly (Mayor of Lyon, no?).
He's been behind Macron so I don't expect he's that close to Hamon either, he never seemed like a clear Valls case though.
Centrist doesn't Right wing though.
If that was a serious question : yes, yes he is

Unless you think anyone bearing the "PS" brand is left wing, which would be an interesting assertion. Manuel Valls comes to mind.

(Seriously though, I was mainly talking about ideas, not parties)

I lived in Bernard Accoyé's town so you'll excuse me if I find Colomb a little more left than most.
Valls has nothing to do with any parties but LR though.
PS is still on the Left regardless what people like Poutou will say.
PS learned the hard way that you can go against capitalism on your own while the world is moving more toward a total erasure of the old Left/Right paradigm.
I don't doubt that Colomb is for more Europe and more exchange in the global sense (be it money/people/whatever) but he's certainly not for the exploitation of the little guy like the far left propaganda would have you believe anyone who isn't them is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom