• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch cross-platform play is being considered by Blizzard

jett

D-Member
Console players would get creamed. I tried the PC beta with a controller and I did awful compared to a keyb/m. Then again I think there is no controller autoaim of any sort on PC, but I'm not entirely sure.

Why cant they just update consoles to have a Keyboad and mouse option and be done with it? That way both versions can have the same balance and possible crossplay.

They also said they were considering balancing the Console and PC versions separately, some Heros are better/worse depending on the platform so im going to take this with a grain of salt.

They aren't considering that, they're already doing that. For example, Torbjorn's turrets shoot slower on consoles to allow people to adjust and deal with it better.

jediyoshi

I don't get the keyboard and mouse thing vs controller. I play on PC with a controller and I don't feel like I am at a disadvantage when playing with kb+m players

And yet, it's there. It's not some elitist creed, there are objective limitations on having a fixed turning speed versus not.

Why cant they just update consoles to have a Keyboad and mouse option and be done with it? That way both versions can have the same balance and possible crossplay.

And completely alienate those who don't want to bother with other input device plugged into their console.

PC and Console is fine being separate, I'd rather not have to deal with wall hacks on top of people using macros on gaming Kb and mice, at least on console pretty much everyone is on the same page.

ElFly

Rocket League started with a firm "No", at least between consoles, and ended up happening anyway.

Blizzard should have a much easier time forcing MS to do it.

kiguel182

PC can already use controllers. I use the X360 controller on PC, and do fine (not great, and obviously m/kb beat my aim, but overall, I can compete and don't feel overwhelmed).

I don't see the big issue with allowing cross platform between pc and consoles. Just make it a separate playlist for cross-play and one for just console play. That way, everyone knows what they are getting into and no one can complain facing an unfair opponent.

But it would be nice to be grouped with people using the same control scheme.

I think unifying the platforms and giving players options would be the best move.

With heros balanced differently across platforms, I could only see this being a custom game option if they go with it but that would still be really awesome.

Between consoles should be looked at, keep the player base as high as possible.

PC would be too difficult with keyboard/mouse advantage.

patchday

unlikely for Blizzard to implement ps4/xbox cross play at this juncture "post launch" though would be my guess. Normally you want to use cross play as a marketing point

Does anyone remember the Shadowrun shooter on Xbox/PC? Were Xbox players getting demolished on that game?
Updating the consoles to use PC and keyboard is up to Sony and MS, not Blizzard, and it would leave those who play with a controller at a disadvantage.
Rocket League started with a firm "No", at least between consoles, and ended up happening anyway.

Blizzard should have a much easier time forcing MS to do it.

Rocket League only has cross-play between console and PC, for now.

DesuNe

Wow people really don't read. The number of PC/console posts is silly.

Personally I think it's great and in their best interests to get console crossplay up and running. Keeps the fanbase populated and ensures a larger audience. I'm sure there's a number of people put off buying it as x amount of friends have Xbox and they have PS4 so wouldn't have many people to play with. Then for others it gives them even more people to play with.

As the months go on the playerbase will naturally decline. At least this would keep it healthier for longer.

What I would like is to be able to play on both. Not necessarily cross play though.

I bought origins edition to play with my friends on PS4, I'd like to play solo on PC though. I find aim-reliant characters to be near unplayable on console.

KillGore

Man, people really don't read the OP lol

It says right there that console+pc cross play is not being considered. Someone should update the title and add "on consoles"

Tecnniqe

Banned
You could always allow PC cross play vs consoles as long as you can force controller use ;)

But in the end it sounds like a classic "someday, maybe."

Woo-Fu

Banned
A unified matchmaking pool for console players seems like a win for everybody involved.

That said, anything not obviously bad would get a "is being considered." answer from most marketing people in interviews.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
They should only do cross platform between Xbone and PS4.

PC needs to be left out on this one.

Now Diablo 3 cross platform play would be nice.

Too people still responding: You know it's talking about between PS4 and Xbox 1 right? Reading the OP is really helpful.

Anyway, sure why not. If the trend with other Multiplayer games that aren't MMOs is still true like it was years ago, console players on average don't stick with a game for years on end anyway.

Maybe Overwatch will change that though.

j0hnnix

I didnt read the full post but as long as no PC players I am fine. Not to argue about KB/Mouse combo but those hackers are the killer of FPS communities.

OVDRobo

Seems like a good idea.

It'd be nice to see some of that cross-platform play spitballing that was going on a couple of months ago by both platform holders actually come to some form of fruition and if anything is going to make it happen, it'll be Blizzard and one of the most successful new IPs in years.

I can see the console base for this game dwindling as GPUs keep progressing to the point this becomes the next WoW in terms of being able to run on a toaster (though it's pretty good on that front already). Cross platform play would be a way to mitigate this at least a little.

I don't get the keyboard and mouse thing vs controller. I play on PC with a controller and I don't feel like I am at a disadvantage when playing with kb+m players
Honestly, some characters like Reinherdt play BETTER on controller. I've been playing controller on PC as well, and while I'd still want to snipe or use Bastion with a mouse, controller is totally viable.

Arkeband

Banned
I just want to play with my friend who doesn't have a gaming PC. Just tear down the walls and let it be. I see enough controller players on PC anyway.

How would you know if someone's a controller player on PC?

And furthermore, that's their choice if they want to gimp themselves, the point is that on PS4/XB1, the playing field is level.

Anyway, the OP is about PS4 and XB1 mixing, which is something that Microsoft has been talking about relaxing and allowing, finally.

JamesLandino

Harmonix
Boy it'd be cool, but logistically that would seem like such a pain to develop for something that in my opinion has an underwhelming impact to the player.

If they decide to allow cross-platform between controllers and m/kb, just make it a separate mode and give console owners a warning. I'm sure someone wants a challenge :p
Then again, there are weirdos like me who use their left hand on a controller and right hand on a mouse. Analog movement with precision aiming and all that jazz.

Lanrutcon

How would you know if someone's a controller player on PC?

If I wasn't privy to their first person view? Their movement, specifically how quickly they can turn. Mouse users flick, controllers turn like turrets and use strafing to make minute adjustments.

Cross consoles would be awesome. Would mean I could convince plenty of my console buddies to all get it. Would be worth the double dip for me just to have all my friends to play with

I kinda wish they'd worry less about the platform being used (XB1, PS4, PC) and more about the input device.

If you're using a controller, then it shouldn't matter what platform you're on. I have actually been playing the game with a controller on PC. Yes, I know, I'm weird. But years of playing games with a controller have basically conditioned me to playing them that way. And I mostly only play against the AI anyway. I tried to go kb/m and found myself dropping it and playing it with a controller.

Also, as someone else mentioned, if you're on PS4 using kb/m, you should be able to play with others using kb/m regardless of platform.

I say all this without any clear idea of how hard it would be for Blizzard to make this happen technically.

Microsoft tried crossplatform with shadowrun. I heard PC players creamed console players, despite them trying to design the game in a way that created parity. OW is not designed with parity in mind. I can't even imagine how it would work out, but I envision a 1 sided slaughter-fest.

Honestly, some characters like Reinherdt play BETTER on controller. I've been playing controller on PC as well, and while I'd still want to snipe or use Bastion with a mouse, controller is totally viable.

I don't agree. Even reinhardt has to turn on a dime or make quick precise fireball shots.

If I wasn't privy to their first person view? Their movement, specifically how quickly they can turn. Mouse users flick, controllers turn like turrets and use strafing to make minute adjustments.

Not all mouse users flick. Depends on the game really, or in OW's case, perhaps the hero.

Boy it'd be cool, but logistically that would seem like such a pain to develop for something that in my opinion has an underwhelming impact to the player.

I agree.

But I would add, what do they get for spending time developing crossplay? Increased sales? Probably not. Increased loot box revenue? Probably not.

Introducing "Team XBox" "Team PS4" skins? Probably not!

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Kinda wish unlocks were tied to your blizzard account so say you have a shit load of stuff on ps4 u have your level and stuff on PC.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Would buy asap if XBO owners are allowed to play with PS4 players +potential PC players.

Haven't played Overwatch but it shares a lot of similarities with TF2 which I love. I'm not paying $60 for Overwatch when I can play TF2 on PC anytime I want but crossplay would justify the purchase, IMO.

And for the love of the Videogame Gods can we stop this nonsense of sports games, regardless of developer, not having crossplay.

Why can't I play Madden against PS4 players online? Same situation and if it weren't for EA Access I would not spend $60 on Madden. I'm in the Top 5% of Madden players worldwide on XB1, with over 250 games played, why can't I play against PS4 bros?

Console players would get creamed. I tried the PC beta with a controller and I did awful compared to a keyb/m. Then again I think there is no controller autoaim of any sort on PC, but I'm not entirely sure.

Nonsense.

This isn't Counter Strike. KB+M vs. an Xbox Controller has minuscule affects on a Team Fortress based game.

Teamwork is more important than aim in these class based, FPS shooters.

Console and PC Overwatch are completely differently balanced.

Console Overwatch also has lower FoV to work with.

Yep the PC release is a completely separate entity from the console version so there's no chance cross-play will happen between PC and consoles.

BigDug13

every fuckin thing should be crossplay

Something like Rocket League, sure. First person shooters have always been the exception because of how superior keyboard and mouse is as a control type for that style of game. Between consoles though, I agree it should be standard.

I mean Blizzard had to completely change the way Diablo plays to get it to work on consoles. Another game where cross play is nearly impossible.

I love these threads because they show how few people read anything besides the title, not even the OPs post.

PC would remain in it's own matchmaking pool.

Cross console matchmaking would be awesome. For third part MP game it should be a no brainer. More bodies for better matchmaking is always a good thing.

Zemm

Nonsense.

This isn't Counter Strike. KB+M vs. an Xbox Controller has minuscule affects on a Team Fortress based game.

Huh no. Just because it's not CS doesn't mean it doesn't require a lot of aiming skills, and in OW, a lot of movement skills too. Both of which are much easier to perform with a kb and mouse. An average OW team would cream a top team using a control pad.

singhr1

Huh no. Just because it's not CS doesn't mean it doesn't require a lot of aiming skills, and in OW, a lot of movement skills too. Both of which are much easier to perform with a kb and mouse. An average OW team would cream a top team using a control pad.

You underestimate how well some people can play with a pad. But yes overall you are obviously correct

Hyun Sai

Anyway, Blizzard stated they were balancing console and PC versions differently, so there is no way in hell Cross platform console / PC will happen.

Wrap it up.

Nonsense.

Aim is foundational to success. IDC how good your teamwork is if you can't actually kill anyone.

But more to the point, holy crap you're delusional if you think KBM can stand up to an xbox controller. There will always be a huge advantage on the KBM side.

Asmodai48

Fuck me the amount of people not reading the OP. How is that not a bannable offence?

On topic... I don't see why not with consoles, since they both use controllers.

Top Bottom