• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch cross-platform play is being considered by Blizzard

Overwatch cross-platform play is being considered by Blizzard

Blizzard has alluded to the fact that they may just be considering cross-platform play between consoles for Overwatch.

Squidward Tentacles @bickiya
@PlayOverwatch Will there ever be cross platform play?

Overwatch ✔ @PlayOverwatch
@bickiya There is no cross platform play. We'll keep an eye on cross-platform possibilities on the consoles.

When asked if there would ever be cross-platform play, the Overwatch account replied with the above tweet, saying that they would “keep an eye on cross-platform possibilities on the consoles.”

In response to a second question asking if PS4 players would be able to play with PC players at some point in the future, they said, “We have no plans for that. Mixing mouse/keyboard and controller can have balance and competitive issues.”

So if you’ve been languishing alone on one console while your friends have been having a wonderful time without you on another, hang in there. You may get to play with them yet.

If your melancholy is less to do with a lack of buddies, and more to do with needing a helping hand, check out our Overwatch guide for tips and strategies.
https://www.vg247.com/2016/06/06/overwatch-cross-platform-play-is-being-considered-by-blizzard/

LiK

Please let me play my PS4 copy with my Xbox One brehs

Uh uh. Watching people play Overwatch with a controller is depressing after you see what the high level twitch gamers do with a mouse.

Playing on console is just pure fun (unless you end up playing against a MLG group). Probably why I don't wanna play on PC cuz of how much more twitchy it is compared to consoles.

Neoxon

If they enable mouse & keyboard use on the PS4 (or at least gyro controls), then maybe let PC in on this.

I don't get the keyboard and mouse thing vs controller. I play on PC with a controller and I don't feel like I am at a disadvantage when playing with kb+m players

Onaco

I just want to play with my friend who doesn't have a gaming PC. Just tear down the walls and let it be. I see enough controller players on PC anyway.

Nere

This is why developers don't dare to make any announcement. Whatever they say it is taken out of context and people get disappointed.

Kuga

Sounds like a win-win for console players - larger player base and whatnot.

Adding PC cross-play with consoles is just asking for trouble. It isn't even slightly fair to matchmake PC vs Console players and mixed teams would just anger people.

I don't get the keyboard and mouse thing vs controller. I play on PC with a controller and I don't feel like I am at a disadvantage when playing with kb+m players

At higher levels of play KB+M is objectively superior to a controller for twitch aiming / tracking. WASD is at least on par with a controller for movement too.

Angel_DvA

Would be great for Xbox players but amazing for everyone, I hope MS/Sony will find a way to get along on this point.

Menitta

It'll be impossible to mix PC and console players unless they enable m/kb for consoles. It'll be like Quake on Dreamcast.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Overwatch has MMR so if you're playing on controller that means you're playing against people even worse than you on kb+m. It's not even a question which is better, the matchmaking is just somewhat hiding it for you.

213372bu

Banned
On the people discussing PC v Console cross-play, other than KB+M destroying controllers, there are lots of things preventing stuff like PS4+XBO KB+M and PC.

Console and PC Overwatch are completely differently balanced.

Console Overwatch also has lower FoV to work with.

From what I've played, console Overwatch has generally less skilled players than PC, due to lack of experience with games like TF2 and general team play FPSs.

etc.

This would be awesome as an owner of 2 xbox ones and 2 ps4s I could have the whole family playing together

From what I've played, console Overwatch has generally less skilled players than PC, due to lack of experience with games like TF2 and general team play FPSs etc.

I'd say it's the lack of mouse aiming tbh, the controller has a wonky deadzone and acceleration on PS4, xbox at least has the elite where you can tweak that =(

kiguel182

It would be cool if they allowed console people to use kb and mouse and PC players to use controllers and mixed them up too. But that would maybe be too much work.

Still, no reason it can't be done.

martino

i would prefer they consider season and cross play on diablo3 ....(with server hosted character for console)

Zemm

For non-ranked play, I don't see a problem

Eh even then I don't want control pad users on my team if I'm pubbing it on PC. And playing against pad users would be pretty boring too especially as someone like Tracer which would just be ridiculous. Keep consoles and PC separate at all times.

Manoko

You should have specified in the thread title that it was cross-play between consoles by the way.

Blizzard has no plans of allowing PC and consoles to play together, as that would be a disaster for the players of the later.

LiK

If they decide to allow cross-platform between controllers and m/kb, just make it a separate mode and give console owners a warning. I'm sure someone wants a challenge :p

It would be cool if they allowed console people to use kb and mouse and PC players to use controllers and mixed them up too. But that would maybe be too much work.

PC can already use controllers. I use the X360 controller on PC, and do fine (not great, and obviously m/kb beat my aim, but overall, I can compete and don't feel overwhelmed).

I don't see the big issue with allowing cross platform between pc and consoles. Just make it a separate playlist for cross-play and one for just console play. That way, everyone knows what they are getting into and no one can complain facing an unfair opponent.

singhr1

Eh even then I don't want control pad users on my team if I'm pubbing it on PC. And playing against pad users would be pretty boring too especially as someone like Tracer which would just be ridiculous. Keep consoles and PC separate at all times.

But if they properly use MMR, the control pad users would inherently be rated lower and play with the lower rated PC players. Not everyone on PC is master with KB/M

No average control pad player is going to be matched with a "pro-team" of PC players if the system works correctly

People here are describing KB/M vs controller as if there is no overlap between playerbases. The best controller players will be competitive against most of the KB/M players. You guys are selling controller players short.

Maximo

They also said they were considering balancing the Console and PC versions separately, some Heros are better/worse depending on the platform so im going to take this with a grain of salt.

Overwatch may actually disguise the advantage of kb+m by design, as it isn't a typical shooter.

But for most FPS games, the difference is pretty clear.

Top Bottom