• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch cross-platform play is being considered by Blizzard

Dremark

Banned
Can't they just make it so people can use a mouse/keyboard on the PS4 version? I know the PS3 natively supported them, I'm assuming the PS4 does also.

I don't agree. Even reinhardt has to turn on a dime or make quick precise fireball shots.

I mean, milage always varies of course. I'd argue if you're turning on a dime that often with Reinhardt, your team isn't really doing their job protecting your flanks. And his fireball is big enough that is don't miss mouse aiming with it. And the extra range of movement a control stick can provide over keyboard movement could potentially trump quick turning, especially on a melee based character. I have a better time keeping my shield at the right angle with the extra range of movement only a controller can provide.

I just like having the option. You even have fighting game tournaments where the occasional person uses a controller rather than a fight stick and succeeds. Overwatch is balanced better than most shooters for controller use vs. Mouse at the very least.

AaronMT86

I don't see this happening based on the earlier mention of platform specific balancing and tuning. How would that work with cross-play?

So if you’ve been languishing alone on one console while your friends have been having a wonderful time without you on another, hang in there. You may get to play with them yet.

wouldn't this just simply increase the player pool? platform specific features such as friends lists and party chat are still at odds with each other meaning you wont be able to search for your friends on the other console anyway correct?

I mean, milage always varies of course. I'd argue if you're turning on a dime that often with Reinhardt, your team isn't really doing their job protecting your flanks. And his fireball is big enough that is don't miss mouse aiming with it. And the extra range of movement a control stick can provide over keyboard movement could potentially trump quick turning, especially on a melee based character. I have a better time keeping my shield at the right angle with the extra range of movement only a controller can provide.

I just like having the option. You even have fighting game tournaments where the occasional person uses a controller rather than a fight stick and succeeds. Overwatch is balanced better than most shooters for controller use vs. Mouse at the very least.

Nah, I think you're just playing reinhardt wrong if you never need to turn on a dime. I mean, what do you do if someone circles you? You need to turn to melee and if you're never meleeing you're not playing reinhardt well.

And there is nothing a controller provides to first person movement that keyboard doesn't do well if not better.

Oh, you mean they didn't have this from the get go? Get on it, Blizzard. If Square Enix can do it with FFXIV, you can do it with this game.

bidguy

Banned
so if they go ahead with this ill encounter ps peeps in matchmaking while playing on xbone ? that would be amazing

wouldn't this just simply increase the player pool? platform specific features such as friends lists and party chat are still at odds with each other meaning you wont be able to search for your friends on the other console anyway correct?

BattleNet has it's own friends list, so players should be able to find and add each other through that. (I'm assuming console versions have to connect to a battleNet account)

Top Bottom