• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I've never understood that. There have been times in Overtime when I knew it wasn't worth running back, but I have been on teams that have won countless games where the team steamrolled the first point but couldn't get the second or payload to completion.

Exactly. You never know what could happen after they manage to start the payload.

Whales

Banned
Did they actually try to counter you? A quick Genji or Junkrat pick should have easily stemmed the tide. The fact that they "couldn't do shit" against one character tells me that in fact your opponents were not that great or that the rest of your team was that good.

Like I said, he's not a top tier character. He's a fun pub stomper. Not much more.

yes, they had a pharah and a genji.

sure, they destroyed my turrets a few times. Doesn't really matter when I can build a new one in 5 secs or just ult and get it to level 3 with a shitton of hp

sephi22

Did they actually try to counter you? A quick Genji or Junkrat pick should have easily stemmed the tide. The fact that they "couldn't do shit" against one character tells me that in fact your opponents were not that great or that the rest of your team was that good.

Like I said, he's not a top tier character. He's a fun pub stomper. Not much more.
I'm not the person who originally posted, but I've been playing Tjorb too, and you can do relatively well with Tjorb against even decent players because 99% Tjorb's are playing like TF2 pub engies who sit behind turret in one spot and keep hammering it.

Perhaps the person is playing Tjorb right ie: Putting up a turret and leaving it there while flanking/rushing the enemy with the turret backing up your 275 HP armored body. Frequent turret placement changes and molten core during pushes can easily confuse and stomp even decent players.

Tjorb is good at many MMRs, just not that great at the scrim/tourney level it seems like. Seagull's been using him in pubs with success.
IMO Hanzo/Widows shit on Tjorb and Bastion but if you're smart as Tjorb you can manage to not pigeonhole yourself into one corner and keep getting your turret 2-shotted.

Blizzard

Banned
I hope they do because a lot of complaints coming from the masses are pretty silly. Also, it's the smart thing to do for esports.
If the option is between the "oligarchy" of the pros and the general masses, I'll take the pros' opinions.
Dota 2 does it and it works well for them

I can understand this view, but I think there's a balance to be had. Some issues:

1. It's a completely different genre and game, but take Street Fighter V for an example. It plays great online for most people, it's pretty balanced, and it's highly competitive. It's NOT friendly for average casual players, though. Overwatch is supposed to be a longterm game that works for both casual masses and competitive eSports players, correct? So it's important for Blizzard to keep casual players having fun so they'll continue to support the game (microtransactions or otherwise) and queue times will stay low.
  2. Pro play means that everyone is communicating, everyone probably has mics, there's possibly an established boss player coordinating, and everyone is experienced with the game. In particular this can create a balance mismatch. Imagine dwarf turrets are balanced against pro coordination. In a casual game, 5 dwarf turrets + reinhardt may be POSSIBLE to take out with coordination, but very frustrating and not fun. Imagine TF2 with 4+ stacked engineers. You can take them out with careful uber demo timing, but it's just a huge pain and no one has fun. Is this a good balance plan -- frustration and lack of fun, since that level of coordination is very unlikely in quick play?
  3. Some people simply don't have time to become highly experienced because of children, jobs, etc. Blizzard presumably still wants these players to have fun and not just abandon the game.

For reasons like these, I think it's important for Blizzard to strike a balance -- supporting eSports and a competitive ladder, but also keeping quick play queue times reasonable and keeping people having fun. After all, fun is what attracts new players, finances microtransactions, and keeps people going.

I could see a sort of middle ground between SFV and TF2 being viable. Maybe a class limit of 2-3 in quick play could also reduce pub stomper strategies.

How the hell do people use Winston's ult? I just end up jumping around like a mad man not managing to get any kills.
Use it near cliffs if you want kills with it. Otherwise, use it to disrupt the enemy team so yours can pick them off easier. It's good for breaking formations.

yes, they had a pharah and a genji.

sure, they destroyed my turrets a few times. Doesn't really matter when I can build a new one in 5 secs or just ult and get it to level 3 with a shitton of hp
As a Torb you have like what 200 health (plus armor)? It's not like you're some kind of beefcake. Killing you after your turret should be damn easy.

Lol people really need to get over themselves being so pissed at Mei. She's a fun character and I've never been completely wrecked by one. I mean like others have been saying, if there's a good Hero on the other team just change yours to account for it.

There are several heroes more annoying to go up against.

LiK

Lol, was playing as Tor and got a POTG by just killing one guy with my gun. Nothing special. Such a lame POTG lol

pigeon

Banned
I would support a feature where if you have less than 5 seconds of objective time on average in the last five attacking missions, you get put in a "team deathmatch" queue with others with your particular deficiency.

Gryph

It really is. No competetive game was ever balanced around noobs.

You're definitely right about that, because games are balanced based on their audience data as a whole. As I say in my post above, balancing is a data driven pursuit.

But pro-players don't drive balance, they're very good coal-mine canaries for balance issues, often finding unintended strategies or interactions that developers hadn't expected, but whether or not a pro player thinks something needs to be changed has little to no bearing on whether or not it actually does.

If a game was played by 100% "Pro" players, you could say it was balanced based on their experiences, but even then it wouldn't be based on their opinions.

Lol people really need to get over themselves being so pissed at Mei. She's a fun character and I've never been completely wrecked by one. I mean like others have been saying, if there's a good Hero on the other team just change yours to account for it.

Personally I get pissed not because she's OP but simply because her playstyle is annoying!

Does Blizzard offer refunds?? I bought this last night on PC, played a few friend AI rounds and a couple quick games today and I just don't find it fun at all. To be frank it's boring and dull to me. I should've just listened to my gut feeling.

Am I out of $40?

I would support a feature where if you have less than 5 seconds of objective time on average in the last five attacking missions, you get put in a "team deathmatch" queue with others with your particular deficiency.

Some heroes aren't made for objective time, though. A reaper, tracer, D. Va may be too busy flanking the team to have a whole lot of time on the objective. Especially if the whole team is great and constantly pushing the objective. I understand your frustration, though. I almost always have the gold medal for Objective time on my teams, my teammates just don't realize that K/D isn't worth nearly as much as contesting the point if it comes down to it.

Grisby

She's my most played character by far.

I've giving out a ton of damage and changed the flow of games, but I've been absolutely wrecked an equal amount of times.

I find the most infuriating thing Mei does to be freezing you, then walking into your line of sight, aiming carefully, and headshotting you. Actually, as someone who never plays Mei (I should practice with her more), for me it's looped all the way around from infuriating to hilarious now. All she needs is a quick wave hello before the headshot--imagine the salt.

Oh, I didn't think to use the ice spike like that. (Only had the game for about a day.) It felt weird how you could freeze people solid but not really do that much more damage before they broke out.

Not every character is meant to hold the objective... like why would I just stand on the objective as reaper or tracer, who are designed to kind of solo flank and hit people when they are weak. Sometimes even as soldier 76 my best use is to be in a flanking position, not on the point.

I played a hell of a game as Junkrat earlier... the gameplay was flowing perfectly and it was extremely fun. He's rotation for my main now.

Also does anyone have any good Mercy tips? She seems super difficult to use to me. You have to be very fast it seems

Blizzard

Banned
The excitement of seeing a Legendary drop only for it to be a dupe.
Someone else mentioned this too. The odds have to be crazy low of a dupe happening, right? You'd think Blizzard could add code to reroll if a dupe hits, especially if it was happening in the beta.

In 16-17 levels I don't think I've seen a single orange, let alone a dupe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom