• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch trolls will face tougher penalties

I feel like it's the matchmaking that's the real problem in overwatch.

We need a solo q only q...nothing worse than facing a 6 stack when you have 5 randoms on your team.

Also when you get 5 dps mains on your team who literally have Zero time on any tank or support, you already know the L is comin and you feel helpless.

Toxicity starts to spew out almost immediately in these cases, at least in my experience.

Tougher x 0 is still 0. Never have I ever seen anyone I have reported for griefing banned.

I mean... how are you even able to see it? If you only see a random guy online once or twice, how do you know they have been banned or not?

Check places like reddit and the official forums and you'll see these people. The problem is that there are a LOT of assholes, and a system like this is going to take time to have a wide effect.

While unrelated to overwatch, I got a communication ban on Xbox for a day last week. Some people messaged me after I beat them with an enforcer in gears 4 and I replied basically calling them sore losers. They report me and I get the ban, where's the justice in that.

Dirtbag

We need a solo q only q...nothing worse than facing a 6 stack when you have 5 randoms on your team.

Also when you get 5 dps mains on your team who literally have Zero time on any tank or support, you already know the L is comin and you feel helpless.

Toxicity starts to spew out almost immediately in these cases, at least in my experience.

I feel like they could offer XP incentives for players that solo-heal or solo-tank on 5 dps comps.

They could also try and group solo players better by filling role slots based off each players' top 3 hero choices.
Try and always have 1 tank and 1 healer

Budi

Those randoms in your team aren't a stack too? Weird if it matches people like that. In HotS when your enemy has a stack, you have a stack too. Atleast most of the time, I'm not saying im 100% sure this happens all the time.

It's really unfortunate that people don't get some experience in every role. They absolutely should, it makes for a better player. But there's no forcing people ofcourse. Not everyone is playing to win at any cost, some play very casually just to relax.
While unrelated to overwatch, I got a communication ban on Xbox for a day last week. Some people messaged me after I beat them with an enforcer in gears 4 and I replied basically calling them sore losers. They report me and I get the ban, where's the justice in that.
I'm not saying it did, but are you sure it didn't go something like this? https://us.battle.net/forums/en/heroes/topic/20745166459 =P

Glix

Fuck that, I talk trash all the time. Makes the team step up. Don't punish me for thin skinned people who can't mute folks. Grief is a whole different matter and should be a bananable offense.

So you're the dude that starts shooting around with 14 year old at the rec center and then starts shit talking them?

What a strong, awesome man you are.

You don't know who your teammates are. You don't know how old they are or anything else about them. They are not your buddies. What you are doing is being a dick, no matter how you try and excuse yourself.

People are allowed to have thin skin and enjoy a video game. Not everyone is as "strong" as you.

If you can't play a game without being negative in tone, you have more underlying social issues to focus on.

This.

I love my hobby. Been in love with my hobby for decades upon decades now. I didn't like the public's perception in the 80s/90s when the hobby was growing post crash- we've come so far.

Now with games pretty much being in every household (pc/cons/phone/tab/etc), it's not so much of a "nerdy time waste". I'm happier than I've ever been.

(Here's the but). I hate how toxic people can be. I don't mind talking crap sometimes (proximity voice, Halo "yooohooo, behind you!") was fun. Huge difference between playful banter and some of the things I see people say or do. (Just getting that out of the way now).

Made the mistake of joining a facebook group for PU Battlegrounds. Some of these guys are mean. Downright nasty to people learning. It was the same for Overwatch. Rather than a community of like minded people getting together to have fun and engage in competition- it has it's moments of "I'm not going to try because you are a n***** or b*****" etc. Is this really what people want our hobby to be associated with?

I don't get it . Anything one finds value in- anything we feel like sharing our limited earthly time with-why bring toxicity to it? Share your knowledge, help others enjoy the game. Win some, lose some, have fun.

I hope this banhammer is swift and just- and knocks some sense into some of the trolls out there.

I feel like they could offer XP incentives for players that solo-heal or solo-tank on 5 dps comps.

They could also try and group solo players better by filling role slots based off each players' top 3 hero choices.
Try and always have 1 tank and 1 healer

Both of these are good ideas and hopefully they implement something along these lines.

Those randoms in your team aren't a stack too? Weird if it matches people like that. In HotS when your enemy has a stack, you have a stack too. Atleast most of the time, I'm not saying im 100% sure this happens all the time.

It's really unfortunate that people don't get some experience in every role. They absolutely should, it makes for a better player. But there's no forcing people ofcourse. Not everyone is playing to win at any cost, some play very casually just to relax.

Sometimes it will give you 2 smaller stacks like a 2 man and a 3 man. Doesn't really help tho cuz they usually never enter team chat and stay in their own group chat.

I have no problem if someone wants to only play dps, who am I to stop them ya know.

When you get 5 people like that ya just kinda roll your eyes and say gg blizzard lulz.

luulubuu

As someone pointed, we need a reputation system, a public badge that shows what people think about you and your ban status. Best players are paired with the best ones, your performance in the match and the votes could be reworked into voting not only performance but also teamwork and cooperation.

Fuck that, I talk trash all the time. Makes the team step up. Don't punish me for thin skinned people who can't mute folks. Grief is a whole different matter and should be a bananable offense.

You are the guy nobody invites to play.

The error was insulting people. Justice served to be honest, next time don't be a child.

The error was insulting people. Justice served to be honest, next time don't be a child.

What? I am sure the messages sent to that poster were not filled with compliments and niceties. Being called a sore loser is enough to you to warrant a ban of the person that said it?

luulubuu

What? I am sure the messages sent to that poster were not filled with compliments and niceties. Being called a sore loser is enough to you to warrant a ban of the person that said it?

Why reply to grief with more grief. What's the point, he did the same and got banned. His loss by not acting according the system. Next time ban if you think the message is ban material.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
The community is the reason I quit even though I loved the game and had been playing since day one. It got progressively worse as it grew in popularity which is often the case, but Blizzard's limp wristed stance ruined it for me, people were literally jumping off the sides of maps to throw competitive matches with immunity, at least they've finally started to give a damn but it may be too late. The final straw was missing out on the rank I deserved because I kept running into people losing on purpose, why keep trying my hardest when one guy can ruin it for me just because he's an asshole.

And the amount of people flaming got crazy, you'd lose the first point and have some man child start yelling at the team like he's the best player in the world and not the same rank as everyone else.

Budi

Why reply to grief with more grief. What's the point, he did the same and got banned. His loss by not acting according the system. Next time ban if you think the message is ban material.
I mean no, this is taking it way too far. IF the person was acting like a sore loser, they definitely deserve to be called as such. It would be silly to have situation where somebody throws slurs at you and you reply "lol, don't be a sore loser". And you think both need to get banned? You call someone who is using racist language a dick, you are replying to grief with more grief?

Edit: Ofcourse I don't know if this is how it exactly went. People like to leave out details if it could make them look bad.

Royce McCutcheon

So you're the dude that starts shooting around with 14 year old at the rec center and then starts shit talking them?

What a strong, awesome man you are.

You don't know who your teammates are. You don't know how old they are or anything else about them. They are not your buddies. What you are doing is being a dick, no matter how you try and excuse yourself.

I don't have to know anything about someone personally to see that they're doing a shit job playing their character.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Rank doesn't equal character experience, I'm a master with Zero hanzo time, I'm not going to bring Hanzo out in a match just cause I'm master rank.

Sure, if they're playing a character they're unfamiliar with in competitive they're selfish assholes, but if they're playing a character they're confident with just not how you like then you have no right to shit talk them because as I said, you're equals.

Royce McCutcheon

Oh wow, Roy is still going after that deathblow?

Take the L. Your position is a bad one.

My position is fine, I don't need people telling me trash talk don't work, it certainly does and to deny otherwise is childish. Examples of its successful practice have been posted in the topic. You can't just blanket all trash talk as negative cause some people are sensitive to criticism.

Oyyy, I'd hate to be in this position trying to fix this. It's an insanely complicated issue that will never fully be resolved.

My feelings towards it is less trying to go on the offense and more providing tools for defense. Just increasing the tools possible to be proactive and aggressive towards trolls is ALSO giving those trolls more tools to grief/troll others.

There are plenty times when I've been playing and there is literally a group of three that are actively being ass-hats, if they wanted to they could all grief me and report me together ect. ect. and if these tools arent perfect easily be banned or silenced ect.

It's a messy situation that people are often reductive about. But it is an interesting and important issue to figure out a proper solution for.

(I've stopped joining group voice chat as of late...)

My position is fine, I don't need people telling me trash talk don't work, it certainly does and to deny otherwise is childish. Examples of its successful practice have been posted in the topic. You can't just blanket all trash talk as negative cause some people are sensitive to criticism.

Mate you are in denial at this point, one day you will snap out of it, hopefully.

jVAdA0l.jpg

This shit is reason I stopped playing this game. Just because I refused to join teamchat. Nothing even happened to this dude after.

At least they're finally trying to do something about it though. They probably should have done something sooner but at least this kind of thing should happen less now.

Canucked

Trash talk and criticism are two different things. And criticism is only valid if it's constructive and provides value.

Quit pretending like trash talk is benign if done right. It's "trash" talk for a reason.

joecanada

And yet you don't even know what the purpose of trash talk is ... You are in here talking about trash talking...... Your own teammates. Lol

Maddocks

Good, maybe some of the racism will stop. Every 2 matches its...N word this and N word that, it really turns me off playing. I'm mexican, but my gf is black, and I play with her mostly and when someone is N word this and that, she just goes silent and it brings down any and all enjoyment. It is one of the reasons if not the main reason went from playing 40 hours a week to 3 hours a week.

I really hope they bring down the hammer for racism.

ZugZug123

I really don't understand those people who won't even try to diversify. I made sure early in the game to at least identify one hero per category I could be comfortable with. Granted, Im terrible at dps and if you see me swapping to 76 it means the team is reeeeeally lacking on it. But if someone else wants to play support I can tank or defend decent enough with a couple of heroes.

OT: I hope the changes make the game less toxic, but only time will tell.

I really don't understand those people who won't even try to diversify. I made sure early in the game to at least identify one hero per category I could be comfortable with. Granted, Im terrible at dps and if you see me swapping to 76 it means the team is reeeeeally lacking on it. But if someone else wants to play support I can tank or defend decent enough with a couple of heroes.

OT: I hope the changes make the game less toxic, but only time will tell.

I really have no clue dude.

I did the same thing as you when I started playing, made a point of knowing at least 2 of each category. It's crazy how many people I see in comp on ps4 that have never touched a tank or support.

Does spawn camping as Bastion and Symmetra count as griefing?

That's not griefing, you can actually counter that with characters.

I'm still skeptical about the "stricter" reporting system though, it's not going to eradicate trolls like a symmetra that places a teleport at the edge of a cliff. :(

kubricks

This may address some toxicity and asshole like those self-proclaimed "coach" who trash talk all the time. It's good to the game.

But Overwatch's problem isn't that, the real issue is that the game is designed as team based in a small group (of six), if a certain role isn't filled (like no healer) the game is almost certainly lost. My heart sinks when I see 5 DPS/flanker/sniper lock on, I can do healer or tank but i can't do both but no one is reponding on comm, then on is just a complete waste of 10mins. This isn't fun and I have no idea how to fix that.

HelloMeow

For me it definitely is. It takes ages to find a game and it's rarely balanced.

It's so easy to screw up balancing in a team based game like OW. I wish they would stop trying for QP, because it's a huge waste of time.

finalflame

Gold Member
This may address some toxicity and asshole like those self-proclaimed "coach" who trash talk all the time. It's good to the game.

But Overwatch's problem isn't that, the real issue is that the game is designed as team based in a small group (of six), if a certain role isn't filled (like no healer) the game is almost certainly lost. My heart sinks when I see 5 DPS/flanker/sniper lock on, I can do healer or tank but i can't do both but no one is reponding on comm, then on is just a complete waste of 10mins. This isn't fun and I have no idea how to fix that.
Play competitive.

Good. Rainbow Six Siege has got this down. You drop out of a ranked match, you get banned from the ranked servers for 15min and get 50% of the credits you should from winning casual matches for that time. I think that's a great system.

kubricks

Play competitive.

I do, in fact I just had 10 competitive games last night (4 great games but other 6 are crap), just not playing as much on S5.
In terms of team com it is slightly better there, but toxicity is a bit worse.

QP is a cluster fck most of the time and Competitive is very serious resulting in trash talk and all that; I wish there is a middle ground.

CryptiK

I mean... how are you even able to see it? If you only see a random guy online once or twice, how do you know they have been banned or not?

Check places like reddit and the official forums and you'll see these people. The problem is that there are a LOT of assholes, and a system like this is going to take time to have a wide effect.
Because being a GM/M in Aus has a very small pool, you see the same people all the time if they are playing they haven't had any action against them.

How is that justice? I can't reply to someone crying because they got beat fair and square? It was minimal confrontation, he just couldn't handle someone replying back to him. He was a genuine sore loser.

He got his friend to message me too and I imagine they both reported me at the same time.

Top Bottom