• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch trolls will face tougher penalties

dock

I've never had a positive experience with online gaming and it's very unlikely that I'll ever try it again. The fact that so many games institutionally applaud crappy behaviour made me realise that it's just not something I can use as my leisure time.

Shit-talkers sure are thin-skinned when it comes to being banned and silenced.

dock

I really wish voice-logs were made public for online players, and players could isolate and report/comment on certain behaviour later on. The fact that voice chat is so rarely recorded means that players run their mouth and treat other people like garbage.

It could also mean that players that have good manners could actually be rewarded in the way the players with high scores are rewarded. There's much more to a multiplayer game than the number of bullets you shoot into people.

Banzai

We'll see. If the toxicity is stamped out or at least significantly reduced AND they announce new healer heroes I will be back next season or the one after.

Just please, stop adding dps heroes.

I really wish voice-logs were made public for online players, and players could isolate and report/comment on certain behaviour later on. The fact that voice chat is so rarely recorded means that players run their mouth and treat other people like garbage.

It could also mean that players that have good manners could actually be rewarded in the way the players with high scores are rewarded. There's much more to a multiplayer game than the number of bullets you shoot into people.

Stream/recording is easier these days than its been in awhile. It's helped us with quite a few toxic people over the last few years for sure.

Yazzees

WARNING: completely utterly anecdotal

As someone with 2000 hours in Dota and about 200 in Overwatch I think Overwatch's toxicity is actually uniquely worse in some ways.

A bad pick in Dota will attract rage but you're stuck with it, so on some level people are still trying to make it work. Overwatch allowing switching at any point has brewed this environment where nearly every match has at least one person dictating everyone to switch to his liking, and when a pick is just blatantly poor and ineffective it makes it that much more infuriating to people if it isn't being changed.

Also, I think Overwatch attracted a lot of people who haven't played a competitive game before. Even though it's seen as rather casual in the wider scope of Dota/LoL/CSGO/etc, for a lot of players this is the first game where they've felt ladder anxiety and the sweet release of watching your Personal Worth Rating go up a nice +25 after eking out a win; in other words, they're still working with a rather thin-skin in regards to losing, so the community at large seems weak at containing their frustration relative to older esports.

It's a far cry from the "LMFao WhO CaREs Xd" c'est-la-vie attitude towards losing that a good portion of Dota's playerbase has apparently developed since I started. I've had so many matches in Dota where we lost so summarily that everyone just starts laughing, doing stupid shit and playing polka music over voice chat while drawing dicks on the mini-map. I never see this in Overwatch, it's always rage-feeding into the meat grinder while bickering all the way until the defeat screen.

IISANDERII

Fuck that, I talk trash all the time. Makes the team step up. Don't punish me for thin skinned people who can't mute folks. Grief is a whole different matter and should be a bananable offense.
No, you only think it does because of the placebo effect. If you trash talk, I will throw and in a way you can't tell.

b0bbyJ03

While I can't stand people that talk trash I don't think they should be banned from the game. I do think that certain things like using gay slurs or racial remarks should be bannable but just good ol shit talking should be allowed in any competive environment.

KyleCross

This all sounds wonderful, but yeah... We need action, not words. The report system for games and services almost never actually get anything done. But oh boy, if someone is cheating or costing them money you see that shit get banned real quick. How bout you show us you really do care Blizzard, and that this isn't just PR.

Mupod

I'm seeing a lot of 'I reported this person and nothing happened' but how do you even know? I rarely see the same folks in Overwatch. Hell I rarely see the same people in HOTS which has a fraction of the playerbase. I certainly don't write down their names or remember who they were for days at a time. Maybe they should send you a confirmation that action was taken, I dunno.

This all sounds wonderful, but yeah... We need action, not words. The report system for games and services almost never actually get anything done. But oh boy, if someone is cheating or costing them money you see that shit get banned real quick. How bout you show us you really do care Blizzard, and that this isn't just PR.

They're pretty good about WoW reports, I've seen them suspend someone mid-raid not even 20 minutes after being reported. But that's a game with a monthly fee and most talk between randoms is text chat/whispers.

OCD Guy

I always found talking trash in a video game to be weird. I always imagined someone talking trash in a game to be someone who would never do it in real life against someone standing next to them.

That isn't exclusive to video games. Anonymity changes people, it gives them a break from the reality of their real life.

Look at how people on this forum talk to eachother at times, look at Youtube comments etc. I'd bet anything that 99% of people that talk shit online would NEVER say those same things in person.

The simplest way to avoid any of this in gaming though is simply block all comms from anyone that isn't in your friends list. I'm curious why people even bother having comms open. What is there that random people say that's worth listening to online?

I hope it works this time. I've actually stopped bothering with competitive because of trolls and the resulting frustration of losing match after match after match due to people not trying to play as a team. It started in season 4 where it completely fucked up my rank and now I'm stuck in silver and can't climb :/

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm hoping it actually starts to work, if it does I'll start playing again. It would be great to get notified when action is taken, they don't even need to say which person specifically.

jVAdA0l.jpg

This shit is reason I stopped playing this game. Just because I refused to join teamchat. Nothing even happened to this dude after.

At least they're finally trying to do something about it though. They probably should have done something sooner but at least this kind of thing should happen less now.

Yeah, this is the kind of shit that is cropping up in Rocket League. There was one guy shouting "I HOPE YOU AND YOUR FAMILY DIE OF CANCER", and they nearly always manage to throw in a quick "retard" too. Utter fucking idiots.

Royce McCutcheon

I'm hoping it actually starts to work, if it does I'll start playing again. It would be great to get notified when action is taken, they don't even need to say which person specifically.

The last thing this game needs is a pat on the back for reporting people.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey

As someone with 2000 hours in Dota and about 200 in Overwatch I think Overwatch's toxicity is actually uniquely worse in some ways.

A bad pick in Dota will attract rage but you're stuck with it, so on some level people are still trying to make it work. Overwatch allowing switching at any point has brewed this environment where nearly every match has at least one person dictating everyone to switch to his liking, and when a pick is just blatantly poor and ineffective it makes it that much more infuriating to people if it isn't being changed.

Also, I think Overwatch attracted a lot of people who haven't played a competitive game before. Even though it's seen as rather casual in the wider scope of Dota/LoL/CSGO/etc, for a lot of players this is the first game where they've felt ladder anxiety and the sweet release of watching your Personal Worth Rating go up a nice +25 after eking out a win; in other words, they're still working with a rather thin-skin in regards to losing, so the community at large seems weak at containing their frustration relative to older esports.

It's a far cry from the "LMFao WhO CaREs Xd" c'est-la-vie attitude towards losing that a good portion of Dota's playerbase has apparently developed since I started. I've had so many matches in Dota where we lost so summarily that everyone just starts laughing, doing stupid shit and playing polka music over voice chat while drawing dicks on the mini-map. I never see this in Overwatch, it's always rage-feeding into the meat grinder while bickering all the way until the defeat screen.
The primary fault of OW is that when you get stomped, it 100% is like walking into a meat grinder and overcoming it requires the full attention and teamwork of 6. When getting stomped in a MOBA, you can still PVE/dick around while the enemy team gets an objective/rolls a tower/whatever. There's room to just waste time and play the game. OW shares no similar method, so people get real salty.

Sayad

Surprised it took them this long when you could basically make a business on the back of banning trolls and griefers! Oh, and of course this isn't coming to console right away...

Shit-talkers sure are thin-skinned when it comes to being banned and silenced.

Very true, a lot like hackers and cheaters there will be forums filled with incessant whining and sob stories very soon, I hope. Neither group have any respect or courtesy for the people around them.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
The last thing this game needs is a pat on the back for reporting people.

I disagree, it's a great way to show that reporting actually works so more people start doing it. It's no surprise someone like you would be worried about such a feature, though.

Zemm

The trash talkers are almost always bad players, you won't see Seagull trash players because he's confident in his own abilities.

It was the same in WoW, the worse the guild, the worse the guild leader was and the more trash they'd talk whilst being bad players, once you get into the top guilds it's incredibly rare for a raid or guild leader to trash on someone because it almost never works and people at the top level already know when they're playing badly and need to step it up.

Acidote

The trash talkers are almost always bad players, you won't see Seagull trash players because he's confident in his own abilities.

It was the same in WoW, the worse the guild, the worse the guild leader was and the more trash they'd talk whilst being bad players, once you get into the top guilds it's incredibly rare for a raid or guild leader to trash on someone because it almost never works and people at the top level already know when they're playing badly and need to step it up.

As someone who both raids and play OW I see a difference. Raiding is 20 people trying to overcome a PvE challenge, and they all want to do it. They do know when they're playing badly and try to change something to get better.

In OW there's people who know they're playing atrociously and refuse to change heroes despite being hard counteres and they do not care. The only wait to avoid that is to have a 6 people premade with close to the same rank. And that is not easy.

This seems vague enough where it'll just be used as another tool by trolls to fuck with people and toothless enough to not dissuade that.

They need far better countermeasures to people being fucking awful. The game is damn near unplayable for long stretches of time because of how a large subset of it's player base chooses to act like fucking children.

I had a guy who cussed out a fucking child who was playing on our team the other day.

And trash talk? There's no cross team chat. So who are you even trash talking? Your own team? That seems... Kinda dumb.

Fuck that, I talk trash all the time. Makes the team step up. Don't punish me for thin skinned people who can't mute folks. Grief is a whole different matter and should be a bananable offense.

We usually go on a tilt once some knucklehead starts running his mouth trying to get the team to "step up". I'm not thin skinned by any means, so I'll tell you right now, you're not helping, you're just being annoying, mute aside.

"It's not my fault people don't just mute" is basically saying you're being so abrasive to your own team that by your own admission you believe their best solution is to just turn off team chat entirely.

That's...

That's not healthy.

Rodelero

In OW there's people who know they're playing atrociously and refuse to change heroes despite being hard counteres and they do not care.

I think that's probably one of the biggest issues - competitive is full of people who do not seem to care whether they win or lose. I find this really hard to get my head around to be honest, as I push to win each game I play, and will push to try and win, or force a draw, 'til the very last. Yet there are tons of people who play competitive as if it is casual and as if it doesn't matter one way or another. They're often extremely obnoxious, wanting a very specific composition, but also defeatist, and so if things aren't going their way they will all but ensure the team's downfall through ridiculous picks, going AFK or simply not trying.

I don't really understand why some people want to play ranked but don't care about their rank. I can't help but feel this is the main issue Overwatch's competitive mode faces.

I think that's probably one of the biggest issues - competitive is full of people who do not seem to care whether they win or lose. I find this really hard to get my head around to be honest, as I push to win each game I play, and will push to try and win, or force a draw, 'til the very last. Yet there are tons of people who play competitive as if it is casual and as if it doesn't matter one way or another. They're often extremely obnoxious, wanting a very specific composition, but also defeatist, and so if things aren't going their way they will all but ensure the team's downfall through ridiculous picks, going AFK or simply not trying.

I don't really understand why some people want to play ranked but don't care about their rank. I can't help but feel this is the main issue Overwatch's competitive mode faces.
1 slot left open,

-we need a healer!
-we need a healer!
-we need a healer!
-we need a healer!
*30 seconds later*
Picks hanzo and asks for healing.

I sometimes ragequit when i see a team composed of hanzo, widow, genji and dva. Chances are neither of them can do shit and are either there to stand around in high places, look cool with a sword or try to get lucky with ults.

I really don't trash talk ever, but what's wrong with just muting people who are upsetting you? Seems like that would immediately solve the issue rather than waiting for them to maybe get banned.

VariantX

The folks crowing about being abusive online, whining about thin skins and so on always seem to be the ones who go into those "hey, nobody talks on voice chat anymore" threads with the most bewilderment.

Public chat has a very good chance of being toxic as fuck because of people like them. If you're not enjoying the games because you cant spew shit at strangers, good. Don't say shit to people online you wouldn't say to their face. Not like it used to be. There were assholes and trolls back then, but far, far fewer than now. People were generally respectful to each other most of the time. The toxic shit people would spew in chat over Halo 3 and various CoD games pretty much was the last straw. Fuck public chat.

SoulUnison

Banned
I wish they'd do something about their server connectivity. I have a stable, wired cable connection, and I still get kicked to the login screen for "losing connection to game server" at least once a gaming session.

I've almost completely dropped Competitive because when it happens there I end up temporarily suspended for it.

I have no issues with any other game, website, internet service, etc..

Bought the game for a friend a month ago and he kept getting "lost connection to server" while trying to complete the tutorial.

NimbusD

Oh man, I can only hope this really happens. Kinda still unsatisfying that you don't know for sure that your report was answered. Has to report a bunch of people in a row in some games because they brought out gay and racist slurs in lieu of like... Working as a team or calling things out.

There's a Reddit thread called "Its nearly impossible to solo carry your team to victory, but very possible to solo throw your team into a loss," and I think that's the main cause of Overwatch toxicity.

In CSGO, people will scream and yell at a guy for messing up, but they'll still try to win because a 4v5 or whatever is still manageable. In Overwatch, just a single player not pulling his weight creates such a hopeless situation that everyone tilts. Similarly, a thrower in CSGO is much, much more limited in impact than in Overwatch, so people don't do it as much.

I don't play Overwatch so I don't know how well this talk has been walked. But at least they're talking about walking better?
No timeframe on report system for consoles seems bad though? What's the holdup?

IISANDERII

It's your SR, I'm only concerned with teammates who are trying to win. Throwers make no sense to me, I just chalk it up as a loss.
It's your SR actually because you're exactly the type of person why I use a sub account for. I don't play with randoms on my main account so I don't have to deal with people like you.

Also anecdotal, but I have hundreds of hours in Dota 2, CS:GO, and League of Legends, and in none of that time have I ever encountered anything as bad as what I've seen in my ~50 hours with Overwatch.

Mendrox

There's a Reddit thread called "Its nearly impossible to solo carry your team to victory, but very possible to solo throw your team into a loss," and I think that's the main cause of Overwatch toxicity.

In CSGO, people will scream and yell at a guy for messing up, but they'll still try to win because a 4v5 or whatever is still manageable. In Overwatch, just a single player not pulling his weight creates such a hopeless situation that everyone tilts. Similarly, a thrower in CSGO is much, much more limited in impact than in Overwatch, so people don't do it as much.

Same with League of Legends, but you not only your team has throwers, but the enemy often too. People forget that.

Also:

Royce McCutcheon

It's your SR actually because you're exactly the type of person why I use a sub account for. I don't play with randoms on my main account so I don't have to deal with people like you.

What I mean is, when people like you start throwing cause they can't take trash talk, I stop worrying about them. You're throwing, the match is done, I don't waste time getting mad once someone starts throwing. I'm only concerned with winners. I'll get my win back.

Top Bottom