• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Owlboy is coming to Nintendo Switch

I remember Owlboy being positively received so this is great news. I wonder if, like with Thumper, NCL made this happen. Was Owlboy at BitSummit last year?

All systems have an X button

Looks like a Switch button prompt - a white button with X in black text.

The gameplay starts here (timeskip): https://youtu.be/Lp3aUyEEyWY?t=62

Looks like what I'd expect from an UE4 game on Switch, softer image, probably 680p docked, similar shaders and effects to other versions.

YES! This really caught my eye. This was by ONE person right? He also made a great Wario Land mock-up IIRC.

And.. NYANDIES!

No, it's made by a team. Primarily two guys, though.

More info:

- Switch port has priority, will come before PS4/Xbox One versions
- Are considering adding a map function (often requested), but not sure if they have the time as they are working on new projects
- No date yet

http://www.pressfire.no/nyheter/Switch/11992/owlboy-kommer-til-switch

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
gbgxoK7.png

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Is it any good? I love the visuals

My short impressions from the OT:

Beat it too. While I definitely like the game, the strengths lie more in the presentation than the actual gameplay. That's still very impressive because I loved the ost, setting and characters, but I wish the (few) dungeons were more memorable and possibly a bit more complex. I enjoyed my time with it, but I don't really feel like replaying it or going after the leftover coins.

Looking back, Owlboy was a bit of a disappointment for me. Game has great visuals and music and even has a well-told story, but the gameplay is just lacking. I expected better level design, nothing really grabbed me or stuck in that regard.

It all depends on what you find important. I value gameplay above all else and in that aspect the game is a letdown. In all the other categories it's incredible.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Rime looks like it's a 3DS port, what the hell.
Easy skip if it's really like that.

It looks just fine....its mostly because of the minimalist art design - the PS4/XBO versions didnt look breathtaking as well from the last footage we saw.

BTW, how many of these new games are local multiplayer games, that can be played in tabletop mode? I'm really looking forward to Overcooked for that purpose, but are there any others?

De Mambo, which is the game in working on, is local multiplayer in tabletop mode! And can I just say that it's an absolute honour to have your game in the Cat Mario Show.

Seik

Banned
I wouldn't take that RIME segment at heart too much.

Youtube video's quality at 720p max + youtube compression is a bad mix, I'll be waiting for more concrete Switch gameplay before drawing conclusions.

It would be sad that it's a bad port since I was aiming at this version.

Futureman

GoNNER looks really cool. Is that a new game?

Owlboy's artwork is very nice!

and Rime looks good. No idea what Kouriozan is on...

Owlboy is so at home on a Nintendo platform. Will be double dipping.

Peter Brown over at GameSpot gave the game a 9/10 on PC and I very much agree with that score.

This needed to be announced a day sooner. Finally got around to buying Owlboy literally yesterday. Couldn't pass up it being $13 in this months humble indie bundle.

KtSlime

One day all games will be presented by Cat Mario Super Show

Pretty much all games on Nintendo consoles already are and have been for over the past 3 years. It's like a modern Japanese Nintendo Power with previews, hints and tips, editor picks, etc. Not sure why NoA never tried a similar thing.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
You know what indie game would be AWESOME on Switch?

header.jpg

Imagine that game, on the go, with HD Rumble

Anyone know if the dev for that game has said anything about Switch??

I had it on Vita and it was fucking glorious. Fantastic game to have with you at all times!

maxcriden

That is fantastic news. I was interested in Cat Quest also I think. Yay, I'm so glad for these games to be coming to Switch.

Wamb0wneD

Overcooked, Hollow Knight and Owlboy all before fall? Tough decisions ahead I see.

Didn't the devs of Hollow Knight say it might take up to one year? And they said that last month lol... But yeah, all those games will be an insta buy. Indies draining my wallet more than AAA retail games...

heringer

Didn't the devs of Hollow Knight say it might take up to one year? And they said that last month lol... But yeah, all those games will be an insta buy. Indies draining my wallet more than AAA retail games...

That was before they hired an external studio to help with the port, supposedly to speed things up.

Aesnath

Literally having difficulty waiting on Hollow Knight. I want that game so bad!!! But it would be great to have it on the switch.

Honestly, more excited about it than Mario-O.

Wamb0wneD

That was before they hired an external studio to help with the port, supposedly to speed things up.

Ohhh that's good news. Hopefully it's a competent one. Do you know when they said that?

Literally having difficulty waiting on Hollow Knight. I want that game so bad!!! But it would be great to have it on the switch.

Honestly, more excited about it than Mario-O.

I wouldn't go that far personally but yeah, my most anticipated Indie game for sure. All I need next to it is stuff like Enter the Gungeon and Overcooked for some nice joycon local coop fun. I will get every Indie I want on this thing for sure.

You sure? It does look like it's missing some lighting/shading or something.

I think it is the video. Snake Pass looks horrible too, and that I have seen Switch videos that don't look like that.

Really loving the type of games that are coming to the Switch, perfect for handheld mode, while also getting all the big games from Nintendo.

The 3rd party games we get is just extra, I am perfectly fine for this setup.

The only thing is I have a PS4, WiiU and 3DS and lots of games to finish and still buy, so I will probably get a Switch at the end of this year or next year.

Top Bottom