• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oxymoron - ScHoolboy Q |OT| "Tell Kendrick move from the throne, I came for it"

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing about Trap Lord is that I'm pretty sure everyone had low expectations for it, but it ended up being good. I really don't feel he had as high expectations as Q to live up too since Rocky's album was only decent.

Hell of a night sounds so generic. Most basic hook I've ever heard tbh.

injurai

Banned
I really just listened to this today finally. So I avoided all the hype and tears. So after 2 passes.

Good
  • Gangsta
  • Collard Greens
  • Hoover Street
  • Prescription/Oxymoron
  • Blind Threats
  • Hell of a Night
  • Break The Bank
  • Man of the Year

Okay/Meh
  • Studio
  • The Purge
  • What They Want
  • His And Her Friend
  • Grooveline Pt. 2
  • Fuck LA

Bad
  • Los Awesome

Still warming up, I expect a few in the okay/meh category to become among my favorites, and a few of those catchy good songs to get old.

Break the Bank is easily my favorite on the album. Album was missing an equivalence for Gangsta in Designer and Druggys With Hoes Again which was a bit of a shame.

overcast

You have Hell of a Night above Fuck LA? Man.

Los Awesome did grow on me quite a bit. Still not sure how much I like it.

mooooose

Q on HnC was a multifaceted character. He was a gangsta, he was fat, he was swaggy, he was a stoner, he was a drug addict, and he still showed signs of remorse but still pride.

On Oxymoron, Q is never really funny. He is a gangsta.

Oxy lacks the swag raps, drug anthems, and humor of HnC. Even the grimey songs on HnC like Nightmare on Figg St were funny. Oxy is just mostly one note other than a few glimpses. It's good for what it is: a gangsta rap album. But Q has more to offer.

injurai

Banned
You have Hell of a Night above Fuck LA? Man.

Los Awesome did grow on me quite a bit. Still not sure how much I like it.

Hell of a Night is one of those catchy ones I expect to get tired of. Fuck LA, I think I was tired of trying to give my attention to the album. Usually takes me the longest to warm up to outros.

Los Awesome might be the worst 1st to 2nd song transition I have ever heard on an album, which makes it hard for me to approach as anything by a buzzkill.

Q on HnC was a multifaceted character. He was a gangsta, he was fat, he was swaggy, he was a stoner, he was a drug addict, and he still showed signs of remorse but still pride.

Oxy lacks the swag raps, drug anthems, and humor of HnC. Even the grimey songs on HnC like Nightmare on Figg St were funny. Oxy is just mostly one note other than a few glimpses. It's good for what it is: a gangsta rap album. But Q has more to offer.

Oxy has plenty of facets, I'd argue the real issue is in the musical production. It just doesn't flow as an album. You really have to learn the rhythm, because it isn't intrinsically there aside from 1 or 2 song transitions.

He did say that this album was a lot darker than HnC and Setbacks, which is probably why it lacks a lot of humour.

Man, this album is disappointing as fuck. Can't even sit back and enjoy with how many times I have to reach for the skip button

Dope tier - Hoover Street, Blind Threats, Break The Bank
Aight - Gangsta, What They Want, Prescription/Oxymoron (Prescription is dope, Oxymoron is lame as fuck for a title track), Man of the Year, Collard Greens
Everything else - Skip

I'd also like to add that tity boi murdered Q on that feature.

Guru-Guru

Banned
I have been looking forward to Oxymoron since I listened to HnC. I'm so disappointed reading everybody's impressions on how mediocre the album is that I can't even bring myself to listen to it yet...

I have been looking forward to Oxymoron since I listened to HnC. I'm so disappointed reading everybody's impressions on how mediocre the album is that I can't even bring myself to listen to it yet...

If you haven't really listened to any of the singles out and going in fresh then it'll be a better listen tbh.

It did grow on me a bit, but yea didn't reach expectations.

injurai

Banned

There are more than a few songs good as anything else Q has put out. Others have potential to grow on you.

The biggest fault is that there is no flow in the album, so continuous listens are kind of hard. Listen once, the start cherry pickings songs you want to revisit.

Ohnonono

I like it well enough. There is some skippable stuff but honestly even some real great rap albums have stuff that I skip on them. When he is on point he is great but when he isn't its meh. I am enjoying it, but I never thought he would be the second coming or anything.

nns3d

After listening to it again...

Great Tracks: Prescription/Oxymoron, Los Awesome, Blind Threats, Gangsta, Break the Bank, Man of the Year

OK/Meh: Collard Greens, What They Want, Hell of a Night, Hoover Street, Studio

Terrible: The Purge

I definitely did enjoy it more the second playthrough, but I think at the most the album is 7/10. I probably would've rated it higher if I hadn't heard Man of The Year or Break the Bank.

The A$AP Rocky bonus track was pretty disappointing and Pusha Man was too short imo.

mooooose

Californication has a terribad hook and fucking worse beat but let's not act like Q didn't EAT. ASAP too. It's not a great song because its flaws are huge but damn this is dope anyway

blackflag

It's alright, I loved the singles so I got too hyped on the rest of the album. Think I'll just take what I like and add them to a playlist. I can't listen to it straight through.

f0rk

Kendrick so mad he hacked Google Play so the version of Break the Bank I bought goes silent at the move from the throne line :(

Syntsui

Surprised so many people liked Hoover Street, I thought it was an unlistenable piece o shit together with His and Her Fiend.

Break the Bank, Collard Greens, Hell of a Night and Man of the Year are awesome tracks to get craze at the parties. Gangsta, What They Want, Blind Threats and Fuck LA are good too.

All the rest are forgetable/meh. I really expected more of him, but the album is solid anyway.

overcast

So Californication isn't that good? Damn. No wonder it's a bonus.

Also, we're not going to hear that dope snippet in the middle of that video are we?

beanman25

h1I5mxP.jpg

Just got the album from Target!

Love this soooo much!!

Guru-Guru

Banned
If you haven't really listened to any of the singles out and going in fresh then it'll be a better listen tbh.

It did grow on me a bit, but yea didn't reach expectations.

I actually liked the singles and listened to them WAY too much. That has me worried since it seems to be a consensus that the singles are the better tracks on the album. Anyhow, I will give it a spin when I get back from work later.

KingGondo

Banned
Listened to it all the way through last night, liked it better than I thought I would based on the impressions here.

I actually liked Hell of a Night except for the insanely generic chorus.

Album isn't a classic, but it has several good tracks I'll keep coming back to.

Esch

Banned
ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron reviewed

1. Gangsta - Not feeling this. He immediately started this out with that chicken squawk Nicki Minaj shit he does. Awful. Just rap dude, you and Kendrick with the stupid voices. Where are the bars? The punchlines? Even a semblance of flow? Really bad way to start off an album. -

2. Los Awesome ft. Jay Rock
– This is straight, I’m kinda feeling the Ruff Ryders beat. Q is his usual pace of trash rapping, just saying shit, but I’m not mad at it. Interesting that this is a Pharrell beat, because I was immediately reminded of La-La-La(Excuse Me Miss Again) but that’s of course a classic track and this is of course some average shit despite having a pretty hot beat. More stupid noises, more annoying voices. But it has Jay Rock, so. +

3. Collard Greens ft. Kendrick Lamar – I still like this track. It’s definitely taking a leaf or four from Kendrick but whatever, it’s got a cool beat and he doesn’t overuse adlibs; he’s actually rapping words. K. Dot feature is straight too. +

4. What They Want ft. 2 Chainz – This shit would be a straight 2 Chainz song but as it is right now, it’s kinda wack, brehs. Whenever this dude raps about sex or smashing its automatic nahhh for me. Recycle bin. –

5. Hoover Street – This is boring as hell. Fuck is this milquetoast shit about even? Next. –

6. Studio ft. BJ the Chicago Kid
– This is a tough one for me cause I really like the beat, but its not actually Q who brings this down but BJ. Goddamn this guy is always so generic. His hooks are genuinely 2008 datpiff tier. In delivery, skill, everything. This dude Q rapping about pussy and licking girls, next. –

7. Prescription / Oxymoron – See, this is a good song. It’s definitely sad that he views pills this way, but it's a great marriage of a concept and sound. If he could consistently do this, I’d probably consider him a decent artist. He really shines here. +

8. The Purge ft. Tyler the Creator and Kurupt – Tyler the creator, what sounds like a Tyler beat, song about nothing, waste of Kurupt. Unsalvageable garbage. Pass. –

9. Blind Threats ft. Raekwon – This is cool with me; he’s flowing, beat is nice and contemplative. Not sure why this needed Rae, but it’s straight with me. +

10. Hell of a Night – Hard to say how I feel about this one. On one hand I really like the vibe and beat and general pace of this song a lot, but this song aint really where it should be. It’s missing something.. Trying to be an anthem? It sorta is but it’s not really hitting to me. It’s got a cool Kavinsky type feel to it I guess. Q sounds nice over beats like this. +

11. Break Da Bank – Yeah guys, not really sure why y’all were on this shit. The chorus is dumb as shit and this is nowhere near the peak of what Alc can do. If it was, it could offset the rest of this. Get this stupid ladidaddooo shit the fuck outtahere. He didn’t really go off on this at all. I’m starting to think this guy saves his highest gears for features. But still this is alright. Just overhyped. +

12. Man of the Year
– Man, this is a mad waste of a beat. You’ve got a classic on the boards and he comes w/ some shit that I’m just not feeling here. This dude talking about being a winner, getting bitches, acclaim etc. That’s not him. Just comes off unconvincing, and that’s a key element of selling a swag song to me. -

13. His and Her Fiend ft. SZA – What is this? Why would you even put some irrelevant crap like this on your album? They’re trying to have SZA do some Portishead thing and its wack. –

14. Grooveline pt. 2 ft. Suga Free – Yeah, I think I like this shit. He sounds great over this beat and it’s just a nice chill sit back and enjoy your chair type track. He should release a mixtape of this kind of stuff. This is like something Curren$y would release. He needs to stop rapping about pussy tho. Wait, nope. This dude Suga Free just came along and farted on my pizza slice. Get this ribibibity liggititty porky the pig dollar store andre 3000 shit the fuck out of here ASAP. Why would you ruin a track with that? -

15. Fuck LA – Using the word pussy in your hook again, nope. This songs kinda straight in its own way though. It’s got a nice bounce and beat. But he ruined it with this trash hook. -

hits/total: 6/15

Comments: Yeah, this pretty much confirmed how I felt about ScHoolboy Q. I’m trying to judge this as an album but it doesn’t feel even slightly cohesive, so I think the hits/total might actually be one of the best ways of looking at it. For an album with such a mishmash of sounds, the album has aggressively one note songwriting and lyricism. ScHoolboy Q on the mic is like when you order broccoli and beef from a Chinese joint and they skimp the fuck out of shit and only give you a couple measly, weak slivers of protein. Where are the punchlines? Where are the schemes? Where’s the flow? Bars? What does this guy have to offer besides charisma (and that’s mad debateable)? His mic work lives or dies on gimmicks. I’ve been picking my brain listening to this trying to figure out what makes him so endearing to you all. Is it the adlibs? The Nicki Minaj/ Kendrick / Eminem silly rapping voices? These things are OK, but they are supposed to be the spice or condiment to rapping. Not a sizeable portion of what makes a rapper good. Content wise; this guy is all over the place. I guess you could characterize him as a half swag rapper and half drug rapper. He’s not really good at both. He doesn’t have the presence or history to sell a larger than life material story. He doesn't have enough talent with the English language to poignantly describe his experiences with drugs. Even when he talks about bitches and sex, which is give or take 20% of his verses, it just comes off as some puerile 13 year old shit. And that would even be cool with me too if he could sell it with some bon mots or wordplay or humor. Instead it’s just kinda obnoxious. This album’s not all bad, there were in fact some moments I enjoyed quite a bit and will replay. But that’s all overshadowed by his reliance on gimmicks, mediocre artistic vision, and C- album rapping. I’m not surprised that this album is eliciting such feels from some of you guys, because it’s clearly worse than the mediocre-bad Habits and Contradictions; it’s a sordid story of shortcomings and middling talent. Listening to this shit makes me feel poor.

Some genuine 2 mic shit.

KgouhG0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom