• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pac-Man 256 announced for smartphones (Hipster Whale [Crossy Road devs] summer 2015)

Krejlooc

Banned
I'm not very good at it, but it's fun. Controls take some getting used to as someone not well versed in Arcade style touch controls.

Playing it on my nvidia shield, so I have physical controls.

It's a lot of fun, I can see myself wasting so much time with this. Pac-man has had a string of hits recently, they're all so awesome.

Krejlooc

Banned

maxcriden

Playing it on my nvidia shield, so I have physical controls.

It's a lot of fun, I can see myself wasting so much time with this. Pac-man has had a string of hits recently, they're all so awesome.

Oh, neat. I can see it being better with physical controls. The touch is a bit finicky for me. I got pretty accustomed to it faster than I expected, though.

(Weird about no music.)

Krejlooc

Banned
Is it weird that I always preferred CE to CE DX? I like the original CE's emphasis on dot eating over ghost chains.

I think the emphasis on 256 is dot eating as well, but I'm not liking the randomized layout. So much of it seems intent on fucking up your chain or zone. Like you can be dealt a bum situation where you have no choice but to break your chain. CE and CE DX were better about making every death or break in the chain feel like it was your fault.

lBTpzom.png

color him interested

Haha, nice. :)

Downloading.....

Let's do this.

I can see me playing this a lot here and there. Big fan of glitchy ghost as well.

How long does it take for credits to refill?

epmode

While I'm mostly OK with Crossy Road's touch input, this feels awful without a controller. It seems like fun otherwise, although I agree that the randomization doesn't play well with the combo system.

Shaneus

Loving the hell out of this game. Thought I'd support it by buying the coin doubler for $6.50AU until I realised there's an option to buy an infinitely more useful infinite credit option for $10... but you only get that option when you run out of credits (so I didn't know it was possible). Bit bummed, but it's still a great game so I'm happy to support it.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Agree with those saying physical controls would be useful. Perhaps it will come to platforms that have controls natively...

Altazor

it's a load of fun but the controls are a bit finicky, IMHO. They're not very precise, so sometimes Pac-Man keeps on going in one direction even when I swipe accordingly.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Is it weird that I always preferred CE to CE DX? I like the original CE's emphasis on dot eating over ghost chains.

I think the emphasis on 256 is dot eating as well, but I'm not liking the randomized layout. So much of it seems intent on fucking up your chain or zone. Like you can be dealt a bum situation where you have no choice but to break your chain. CE and CE DX were better about making every death or break in the chain feel like it was your fault.

I haven't played an obscene amount yet, but it seems like a lot of the strategy of the game is trying to look ahead and figure out what are valid paths you can take to continue your chain, the optimal route to pick up as many items as you can, and keeping an eye on the ghosts to see how to avoid them. It seems like if you're on top of it, you can just keep a chain going by being really aware of all of your surroundings in the game.

it's a load of fun but the controls are a bit finicky, IMHO. They're not very precise, so sometimes Pac-Man keeps on going in one direction even when I swipe accordingly.

While I'm mostly OK with Crossy Road's touch input, this feels awful without a controller.

I feel like it should be pointed out that you can preload your turns. If you're traveling right, and have a turn coming up soon, you can swipe up, then pac will turn when he reaches it. You don't need to swipe exactly as you get to the intersection. I've had 0 problems with turning as long as I've been aware of preloading your turns.

I'm personally not feeling it, it's really missing some good music and I'm turned off by the lives thing, was Crossy roads like this too?

Worth the purchase by unlimited credits for this game. Definitely worth the pretty penny!

Yeah, I knew instantly that I'd feel shit for wasting a credit on a bad go. I'm glad they have the unlimited mode (effectively buying it), otherwise I'd probably be out.

Glad I'm not - very fun take on the formula, and the powerups add a fun twist.

Berordn

I'm personally not feeling it, it's really missing some good music and I'm turned off by the lives thing, was Crossy roads like this too?

Crossy Road doesn't have any sort of stamina system, it just gifts you coins for playing regularly which let you unlock characters through a vending machine.

Played this alot yesterday and went ahead and bought infinite continues, much more convenient and useful than buying credits a little at a time. Not to mention cheaper in the long run. I am playing on Nexus 6 and I love playing vertical just like an old school arcade game. The touch controls are great and I can't say that I messed up my game because of them.

I got my first consecutive 256 dots last night and it was a great feeling clearing the board of every ghost in my vicinity.

There is a lot of depth in how things work here. The scoring/multiplyer system is great, and how each ghost has there own pattern is awesome too. Add in new power ups and how you get faster the more dots you eat and this is one of the best iterations of Pac-Man yet.

atbigelow

I've been playing this on my Nexus Player (Android TV) and it's super great. The NP remote comes with a mediocre circle D-pad, but it's definitely good enough to play this game one-handed.

Very impressed with how fun it is, at least on the NP. Tried it on my tablet but the touch controls aren't anywhere close to as good as physical buttons.

Everyone says that, but I never liked them. Tapping to go forward worked well enough, but swiping left and right never felt responsive. Ruined the game for me.
I actually enjoy touch controls better for this game than Crossy Roads. I admit that I don't have a controller for my Nexus 6 to try mobile games out with a real controller, but as I said in the post above you, the touch control, to me, feels great.

I can't say I accidentally swiped one way and went the other. I am constantly beating my high score and I have already gotten my first 256 consecutive dots and the game just came out yesterday.

Timeaisis

Eh, I'm not digging it. You can't queue up your moves like you can with CE. That's lame, because the touch controls suck.

Power-ups aren't super useful and your fingers get in the way of sight lines of the ghosts. It's also pretty slow. I'd have enjoyed a subtle speed boost as you go.

It's OK, I guess. But nothing special.

Eh, I'm not digging it. You can't queue up your moves like you can with CE. That's lame, because the touch controls suck.

Power-ups aren't super useful and your fingers get in the way of sight lines of the ghosts. It's also pretty slow. I'd have enjoyed a subtle speed boost as you go.

It's OK, I guess. But nothing special.

You can swipe before a corner etc, is that what you mean?

I actually enjoy touch controls better for this game than Crossy Roads. I admit that I don't have a controller for my Nexus 6 to try mobile games out with a real controller, but as I said in the post above you, the touch control, to me, feels great.

I can't say I accidentally swiped one way and went the other. I am constantly beating my high score and I have already gotten my first 256 consecutive dots and the game just came out yesterday.

Just in case it wasn't clear (I can't tell from your post), I was referring purely to Crossy Road specifically. Haven't played Pac-Man yet (will soon!)

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I'm a huge Pac fan, but this isn't doing it for me as much as I'd hoped. I enjoy clearing stages, as opposed to this concept of making your way up a scrolling screen, until a ghost nails you.

It's technically the same formula as Crossy Road, but I feel that worked better, as Frogger was about pushing forward.

Just in case it wasn't clear (I can't tell from your post), I was referring purely to Crossy Road specifically. Haven't played Pac-Man yet (will soon!)

OK gotcha, I hope the controls are to your liking.

Yeah. Can you? It never seems to work for me. If it does, there's no visual indicator that you are about to turn like CE does.

I guess I just need to get used to swipe controls.

*yells at cloud more*

Yeah, you can swipe before you get to a corner and it will turn that way automatically.

Did you know that the mobile version of DX starts Pac-Man out slower than the console/PC version even though both versions say it's 20? This is to compensate for touch controls and it works brilliantly.

Also, this game is slow but the more dots you eat the faster you go, but I don't think 256 gets as fast as the mobile version of DX.

Berordn

I'm a huge Pac fan, but this isn't doing it for me as much as I'd hoped. I enjoy clearing stages, as opposed to this concept of making your way up a scrolling screen, until a ghost nails you.

It's technically the same formula as Crossy Road, but I feel that worked better, as Frogger was about pushing forward.

I agree. I think it's fun and I'm glad it's free but I get my fill after one or two goes. CE DX remains my favorite take on the formula.

This game is indeed fun, though I already get my temporary fill from it after about 3-5 tries. I kinda wish there was music like CE DX, which made it all feel intense. Still though, it's a nice minute waster.

Well, I can officially say I like this game more than Crossy Road, although that's not saying much.

The controls work pretty well, since you can swipe before you actually need to turn. As another poster said though, it needs some good music. Definitely not as good as CE DX, though.

mollipen

CE is the far better game, so no, it's not weird. CE DX is a great game, but the original is just so perfect.

And I'm really liking 256. It's so funny that my the two games that actually make me give a damn about playing games on my cellphone are both new twists on really, really old games (this and Space Invaders Infinity Gene).

Top Bottom