• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pac-Man 256 announced for smartphones (Hipster Whale [Crossy Road devs] summer 2015)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
i dont understand how scoring works, if i purchased endless continues to ditch the ads.... dont i get endless highscore?

mollipen

i dont understand how scoring works, if i purchased endless continues to ditch the ads.... dont i get endless highscore?

From my understanding, you get endless plays, but not endless continues. You can only continue once, even if you have enough free credits stored up to do it multiple times.

From my understanding, you get endless plays, but not endless continues. You can only continue once, even if you have enough free credits stored up to do it multiple times.

Yes, that's right. This makes it nice when you have a great score and you want to continue on with that score to see if you can beat your old record.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, that's right. This makes it nice when you have a great score and you want to continue on with that score to see if you can beat your old record.
great! does buing the endless continues drop the shitty video ads?

great! does buing the endless continues drop the shitty video ads?
Yes, the ones you have to watch for free credits are gone, but there are still ads if you want to claim your "free prize" which is just the in game currency. You can get that just by playing the regular game without the need to claim your free prize. You use this in game currency to upgrade your power ups.

I enjoy CE over DX but I like playing 1 or 2 games of this here and there. No need to buy the credits thing as I only use 1 or 2 before stopping for a bit.

I just like pac man without limbs ;)

CE is the far better game, so no, it's not weird. CE DX is a great game, but the original is just so perfect.

And I'm really liking 256. It's so funny that my the two games that actually make me give a damn about playing games on my cellphone are both new twists on really, really old games (this and Space Invaders Infinity Gene).
Not to derail thread but does CE DX have a version of CE as one of the modes? I never really looked, I just thought they may have included that. I own both CE and CE DX, really like both.

Getting back on track, I also like 256 but I'm not sure if it will keep drawing me back. Crossy Road didn't do that either. I think both games handle the ads/iap part really well but I still get a little put off with having to sift through those menus and selections. I'll definitely give 256 a few more tries though.

Fake edit: I should also add that this may play better on an iPad, I'm doing the iPhone thing. Not sure about everyone else.

Is there any point to keeping a chain of dots? You can see the game keeping track of how many you've eaten in a row, but it seems like you only get one point per dot regardless of your chain.

In their promotion they said you get a "special surprise" when you chain 256 dots.

All it does is clear the screen of all enemies and starts counting again from zero.

CLEEK

Is there any point to keeping a chain of dots? You can see the game keeping track of how many you've eaten in a row, but it seems like you only get one point per dot regardless of your chain.

You get a bonus when your chain hits 256 and a smartbomb effect that clears the immediate area of ghosts.

LakeEarth

It's fun and I love the concept, but it isn't all that addictive. I really don't get why there are timers on the upgrades. I know all these F2P have timers to upgrade things, but it just feels out of place in this game.

Krejlooc

Banned
Not to derail thread but does CE DX have a version of CE as one of the modes? I never really looked, I just thought they may have included that. I own both CE and CE DX, really like both.

No, it has a "Championship Edition" board where you can play the Pac Man CE Board, but it still uses CE DX rules. It's basically a CE DX remake of the CE board.

They're really pretty different games, honestly. Same basic goal, but enormous difference in execution. My biggest grip with CE DX, personally, is how it slows down and zooms in if you're about to run into a ghost.

L.O.R.D

Tap the lightning bolt next to the power ups on the main menu. It opens an equip screen where you can also upgrade the power ups

this what happens

JwxUJ1q.jpg

vPYI17K.jpg

when i tap on one of the three icon , they just tilt
i don't know what should i do

zigg

n/m, I'm dumb

Really digging this game for quick plays though.

Controls well—swiping is good for pre-turns. Much better than a number of other games I've played that have swipe controls.

Chromecasting Pac-Man 256 really shows the current limitations of screen casting re: lag, skipped frames, and compression artifacts. Still, pretty cool playing it on a 1080p plasma with a Playstation controller.

Top Bottom