• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pac-Man 256 announced for smartphones (Hipster Whale [Crossy Road devs] summer 2015)

Durden77

Sweet. This could be great. Namco has really been great with modernizing Pac-Man's gameplay, so I don't doubt they're on the right track with this.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I imagine they're planning more for this year, seeing as the trailer gives away a 35th anniversary logo.

Maybe more games besides this? A pretty silly looking game, though. Cute.

Bandai-Namco put out the call for indie devs to make pitches based on classic Namco IP; the initiative was JP-only, but I kinda suspect this game is part of that same initiative.

Zubz

Banned
I know that this game is mechanically another Endless Runnner mobile game, running from the kill screen, but I love the concept. Consider my interest piqued!

Running from the killscreen is pretty clever. And it doesn't just look like a Crossy Road reskin, even though there are similarities. Very nice.

This looks very good, but input method is pretty important for Pacman...hmm...will wait for the reviews. Keeping my fingers crossed, though, I really want this to be good.

Converse

Banned
Man, "Hipster Whale" is still the worst name for a dev house I've ever heard, but this looks fantastic. Pac-Man is best when he just does his Pac-Man thing, and this does that with a simple, nerdy and fun little twist. Good stuff.

Cool concept but I'm doubtful they can translate the tight 4-way controls that define Pac-Man into the mobile space. I felt like Crossy Road, as good as it was, never quite made that leap. We'll see. I will absolutely give this a try.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Day one. Love Crossy road. Although I will probably never top my current high score of 650ish, I still keep collecting my presents every day to unlock the new characters. They just did an update too, so I need to figure out how to unlock the secret characters.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
hope it's better than Crossy Road

I lost interest in that game pretty quick

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Hopefully Bandai Namco will allow Hipster Whale to go with the purchasing/ftp model they used with Crossy Road.

batbeg

Looks way better than that shitty arcade game I played at Dave & Busters the other night. Mobile 1, Arcade 0.

Seriously looks cool though. I thought it looked boring at first then the numbers started creeping in.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
That looks amazing. First time ever I've been hyped about a mobile game. :D

Luke_Wal

This game looks freaking sweet. I could stand for a little more CEDX influence (get some hot beats in there), but that's something I'll be downloading for sure.

Krejlooc

Banned
This looks fucking awesome, but hopefully this won't mean the end of the Pac-Man CE/DX/etc. line, because those are some of the best games ever.

maxcriden

I'm not very good at it, but it's fun. Controls take some getting used to as someone not well versed in Arcade style touch controls.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Those guys do make very visually sharp games. Crossy Road looks great in its voxely simplicity, although it's extremely shallow gameplay-wise (like all infinite runner-esque games, I suppose). Somewhat interested.

EDIT: Lol, this thread is old as hell, and the game is out. Oh well, downloading I guess!

EDIT: It's fine I guess. A Pac-Man-themed Crossy Road, pretty much. As expected. Very F2P-y. With UNSKIPPABLE VIDEO ADS, goddammit. Nah, no more.

Top Bottom