• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter Factor: Michael Pachter is back with his new show. (SIFTD games)

Justinh

why does he call his audience Babies?
It's a reference to the movie The Jerk.

Nope. He explained it at the end of the first episode. I'm pretty sure he did it for Pach-Attack, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeCytl2XnNo&feature=player_detailpage#t=1158
@19:18 if the link doesn't take you there.

Now you got me thinking about cans...

Interesting views on best selling game nov/dec that it will be CoD & not Star Wars Battlefront.
It'll be interesting to see how it turns up, I bet he made the right call on that. Also notice he's been wearing the same shirt/tie for the first five episodes so this was 5-6 weeks ago, before the internet was hatin' all up on Battlefront.

Justinh

Please pardon the double post...
Episode 6 is up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSGgpLai958

Questions are about Kojima being forbidden to attend The Game Awards, how platform holders can afford to have such deals during Black Friday, Activision's purchase of King, and why November was so busy with game releases.
Last question was also about Valve making new games and HL3.

Spoiler alert: He's not wearing a tie this time.

LoveCake

Spot on with Activision & King, I bet they are on his "Buy" list

The others were very in-depth answers, but only four questions in near-enough 25mins, hmm.

Tubie

No way does BF beat CoD. Even at BF's best and CoD's worst.

There's no way a new Battlefield comes out in 2016 to begin with, so he was way way off with that one.

Visceral is working on a Star Wars project, DICE B team is working on Mirror's Edge and DICE proper is still on Battlefront.

I expect Battlefront season pass content to be delegated to the talented people at DICE LA and DICE Sweden will begin work on the next Battlefield early next year with a probable release date of fall 2017.

Justinh

Whoa! Early upload.
Episode 7's up now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuvwPecZZIc

Questions are about WoW2, Fig crowdfunding, multiplayer only games pricing, and game betas affecting game sales.

Yeah, Battlefield next year doesn't seem likely. Even if they were going to be starting developing Battlefield 5 soon, it just seems too early.

There's no way a new Battlefield comes out in 2016 to begin with, so he was way way off with that one.

Visceral is working on a Star Wars project, DICE B team is working on Mirror's Edge and DICE proper is still on Battlefront.

I expect Battlefront season pass content to be delegated to the talented people at DICE LA and DICE Sweden will begin work on the next Battlefield early next year with a probable release date of fall 2017.

Whoa! Early upload.
Episode 7's up now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuvwPecZZIc

Questions are about WoW2, Fig crowdfunding, multiplayer only games pricing, and game betas affecting game sales.

Yeah, Battlefield next year doesn't seem likely. Even if they were going to be starting developing Battlefield 5 soon, it just seems too early.

EA will have a shooter next year, it's just that it'll be Titanfall 2 and not Battlefield 5. Fall '16 gives them 2 and a half years since the release of the first. Or they could even aim for March, give Mass Effect the fall to itself, and still hit the fiscal year.

LoveCake

Interesting comments on the price of games & that he thinks they will be $60 in perpetuity.

I think his NX prediction is pretty spot on with regards to the manufacturing, more so if the 10m-12m manufacture amount in year one that it has to be either a $50 console or an handheld.

Justinh

His views on fig are interesting, didnt really think of how it can be illegal

I hadn't even considered it either, and when I heard him talk about it, it was like an "Oh shhh-!" moment. That said I'm sure Fig has thought about this and done what they can in order to be in compliance with the law.

Episode 8 is up, by the way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s51s1NIQeY

Questions this week are about physical games future of Gamestop, publishers making their own consoles, the selling of digital copies of games, and graphical improvements in the future with increasing costs.

RedAssedApe

Banned
kind of odd that the only content they post on this youtube channel is the pachter stuff. but i guess they want people to subscribe

Justinh

kind of odd that the only content they post on this youtube channel is the pachter stuff. but i guess they want people to subscribe

If I recall correctly, for Pachter to agree to do this he wanted the show to be available for everyone, even if there was a delay for the free version. It's fun to poke fun at him, but he does actually seem like a cool dude. He said he's not getting paid for this either in an earlier episode.

Dennis

Banned
lol Pachter can't tell Fallout 3 and 4 apart.

Fallout 4 graphics put on blast.

That was hilarious because Pachter is talking about diminishing returns but maybe the problem is just that Bethesda cheaped out on the graphics.

LoveCake

Good video this week, some very in-depth answers to the questions.

Interesting on the digital sales though especially when considered with Apple & Amazon entering the gaming area hand in hand with the publishers.

I also liked the comment of publishers are the arms dealers in the console war, they don't care who they sell weapons (games) at 8:20 onwards on the video.

ODCfFJo.gif

I think that is a pretty good answer on the physical media question. It is crazy to thing that music CD's were selling in the billions in 1997 and then dropped off like a rock when Napster and other file sharing programs came into popularity.

Apple will never make a dedicated game console again. They have iOS, and that is their gaming platform. But Amazon is getting into the industry.

Justinh

Oh! Episode 9 is up now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck897uny1Ow
edit: whoops! put the old link in there before, sorry!
Questions this week are about publishers using Youtubers rather than traditional games media, length of this generation RE: underpowered consoles, game developer unions, and shorter marketing campaigns i.e.: Fallout 4.

Justinh

Sorry for the double post.
Posted the link to the last episode at an unfortunate time, it appears.
Episode 10 is up.

Questions are about: giving away consoles for free to sell more games or ads, Apple with VR, variable game prices in other countries RE: currency powah, and Sony VR pricing.

Again, sorry for the double post.

edit:ugh. that big block of blue is disgusting...

krae_man

That was the first twitter question in a quite a few episodes. I did not expect that. I tweeted that question almost two months ago:lol

"Publishers are pocketing the difference" Is about what I expected.

Justinh

That was the first twitter question in a quite a few episodes. I did not expect that. I tweeted that question almost two months ago:lol

"Publishers are pocketing the difference" Is about what I expected.
It's probably because they shoot a bunch of episodes at once.
He's been wearing the same clothes since episode 5, when he was wearing that shirt at tie at work. This run started... a little more than a month ago. Interesting question by the way.

I think they're shooting another batch soon or have just recently shot them.

krae_man

It's probably because they shoot a bunch of episodes at once.
He's been wearing the same clothes since episode 5, when he was wearing that shirt at tie at work. This run started... a little more than a month ago. Interesting question by the way.

I think they're shooting another batch soon or have just recently shot them.

I get that. It's just that the last few episodes have been SIFTD questions only. Thought they made a decision to cancel the twitter questions.

He didn't really answer why US prices never went up when say the Yen exchange rate wasn't favorable but he did go where I wanted with "Why doesn't Ubi lower their prices since their labor costs are in Canadian dollars?" So not a total loss.

He didn't really answer why US prices never went up when say the Yen exchange rate wasn't favorable but he did go where I wanted with "Why doesn't Ubi lower their prices since their labor costs are in Canadian dollars?" So not a total loss.
he said because the US is the bigger market

LoveCake

Interesting views on the VR, the thing with FB & Oculus is that they are looking at the very long-term for this, as Pach said for the educational uses & also enterprise uses, where Sony with Morpheus who are also looking long-term because don't forget all the other subsidiaries Sony has in medical & also enterprise but Sony has the benefit of the PS4 & can use it as a test-bed, but they have to get it right, but not only the headset but the content, there was scant content for Move, I know because I purchased Move, the same with the Kinect on the X360, Microsoft dropped Kinect 2.0 on the X1 & there is nothing really for the PlayStationEye 2.0 on the PS4.

Would I buy Morpheus but not unless there is content & I think this is going to be the problem for Sony, as for the price, if it is more than £250 here in the UK I think it will be a hard sell if it doesn't come with a game & a decent game, well choice of game.

I know as a none Sifted subscriber I have no say or right to complain, but they need to change the set from that sofa look, nothing wrong with a sofa but at least make it look less well tatty.

As for the questions & where they come from, of course they are going to give preference to Sifted members, but I doubt they would cut Twitter out entirely, I think the issue is that Pach no-doubt gets a lot of hate & Sifted do as well as people will vent at their Twitter.

If you act like a knob on Twitter people are not going to reply etc to you.

I didn't realize patcher actually had fans.. Thread is like reading from some alternate universe.

People dislike Pach because they disagree with his views, Pach admits he gets it wrong from time to time, but what people forget is that he gets paid by investors for his views & advice in tech companies, Pach has said many times that he doesn't get paid for these videos or even the Game Trailers ones he used to do, I don't really understand the hate for Pach, they are his views & opinions just the same as all of us here on GAF & everywhere else, but Pach is looking from a different perspective, it is pointless to run about venting waving hands in the air like a bunch of fanbois because you don't agree with what he has said, Pach has far more to lose by getting it wrong.

Justinh

I know as a none Sifted subscriber I have no say or right to complain, but they need to change the set from that sofa look, nothing wrong with a sofa but at least make it look less well tatty.

Well, they're back in the office so there you have it...
Episode 11 is up
Note: There's a spoiler warning at around 13:44 ish for Fallout 4. You can just stop watching there if you're sensitive to spoilers, there's no Bold Prediction this week. It's not really a typical "Pachter question" anyways.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XbS-97DiGk

Pach is back in the office to answer your questions about Nintendo returning to E3 press conferences, its smartest strategy going forward, the future of the Xbox business, Oculus' $600 price tag, New Year's gaming resolutions, and more!

Justinh

Episode 12 just went up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZx2t9PjQTA

Haven't watched it yet, so no idea if there are any spoilers for anything or not.

I don't remember there being any in this episode. I just highlighted it last time because it was weird that he did that. I don't think he did a bold prediction this week again, though for some reason...

This week Pach answers questions about the long-term health of the Halo franchise, how video game patents affect creativity (re: Sony-"let's play"), the salaries of CEOs at video game companies, and whether Sony and HTC will sell their VR headsets at cost in order to compete.

No spoilers. His answer to the patent question was really badly thought out and basically irrelevant to video game development, but beyond that it was an alright watch.

Ricker

Will watch tomorrow...getting ready for bed now and I can't hear another ''fellow babies'' right now lol ;)

Nice shirt though. :p

Justinh

Man, I'm really curious about what he thinks of gaming websites getting away from the ad-model, but it's probably going to be a few weeks before they do another shoot.

krae_man

Man, I'm really curious about what he thinks of gaming websites getting away from the ad-model, but it's probably going to be a few weeks before they do another shoot.

Will SIFTD be around long enough for them to even do another shoot?

If Mushrooms=views, their membership numbers and traffic must be terrible.

Top Bottom