• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter Factor: Michael Pachter is back with his new show. (SIFTD games)

Justinh

Link

Who would Pach slap some sense into? Is the Oculus price fair? Is it OK for Crackdown 3 to release multiplayer-only at first? Are celebrities worth the investment in video games? All this and more in this week's show!

LoveCake

New video just uploaded (I have not watched it yet myself).

Are Far Cry Primal and The Division releasing too close together? Is PC gaming the future? Are slim versions of the PS4 and Xbox One on the way? Just what the heck does Pach do at his job? All this and more in this week's Pachter Factor!

LoveCake

Yeah good video this week.

About his job, now this is what the majority of people don't think about, all they hear is him saying this about a game or that about Nintendo, but it is the overall company in the medium to long-term, & how this is going to impact the bottom-line of the company that he is looking at, take the answer about Far Cry: Primal & The Division being released two weeks apart, he sort of touched on Rainbow 6: Siege & Assassin's Creed: Syndicate not being great games sales-wise, so that can be interpreted as not good games because of the lack of sales, but Ubisoft are good to invest in because that are making good returns on the investment, meaning better returns for the people investing in Ubisoft stocks.

IKizzLE

Wait, what?

That's pretty cool! Did you get an opportunity to shake his hand, or was it like he came in for a while and left and lecture continued?

He guest lectured. Then stuck around to talk to people.
He does it quite often for his alma mater.

Justinh

Episode 15 went up not long ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTeUHjsLJkA

Pach shares his thoughts on the closure of GameTrailers and answers questions about EA leaving E3, old games clogging up the sales charts, which video game company he would like to take over for a year, and more!

Pach dealing with a hangover... lol.
(I'm pretty sure he and Marcus were close friends once, maybe that's a good thing to keep in mind). - What I meant by that is that I wonder if that was just a friendly playful jab, not anything actually that serious.

i-Jest

While I haven't always agreed with his point of view, he was still interesting to listen in on. Good luck with the new show and all the best dude.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Is it bad that I have never ever heard of SIFTD which I think is an aweful name for a site?
I have looked at that site a bit, do they just collect content from other sites and link to it? (other than Pachter)
I don't quite understand how that works, it feels a bit....uncool to me though I asume the sites they link to also get the views?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Is it bad that I have never ever heard of SIFTD which I think is an aweful name for a site?
I have looked at that site a bit, do they just collect content from other sites and link to it? (other than Pachter)
I don't quite understand how that works, it feels a bit....uncool to me though I asume the sites they link to also get the views?

It's an aggregate/sorting system that only shows you what you're interested in, based on a fairly lengthy "what I care about" settings page you tweak to your liking. Every view through SIFTD still counts as a view/hit for the site in question, you just don't have to go looking for it manually. I've read many really interesting features that I never would have known about otherwise.

The original programming includes Pachter, the weekly talk show podcast GameFace (disclaimer/disclosure: I co-host that with Shane), and a recent addition called Platinum Journey in which Adam McDermott takes you through the trials and tribulations of getting a Platinum trophy in a particular game. Platinum Journey is on a more staggered schedule because it's so time consuming to produce. More is in the pipeline, but that's what's currently up and running.

Justinh

They're not just "linking" to the site, the actual site with the article or the content gets loaded and, as long as you don't have adblock enabled, the author or video producer gets the ad revenue and page views. There's no way they'd be able to do this if they were stealing or blocking ad revenue owed to the gaming news sites or youtube videos.

SIFTD makes sense as a name, since the content is "sifted" to your preferences. You have a preference for which type of content you want to see. A screengrab of a portion of my preferences, for example. This is like... maybe 20 percent of the stuff you rate.

What an article page looks like from within siftd. Image Link. The bar at the top of an article will open the page in a new tab, and the bar at the bottom will open the comments.

You can also block certain games from showing up in your sift (I have many Vita games blocked, for example). You can block publications too, but I don't do that since it seems that every site has a good article or video every now and then. (Like, people love Jason Schreier's or Patrick Klepek's articles but bemoan Kotaku).

If there's something big though, it'll get pushed to the top of everyone's sift. This is how I found out about Gametrailers' closure ("wtf? Farewell stream? What do they mean 'farewell'?")

His comments on the closure of GT were intriguing. Does this mean SIFD have reached out to Bossman?

Oh! I didn't even think about that. Interdasting, chin-rubbingly so...

edit: ninja'd because me Ma called me when I was typing. Curse you, MA! At least it was from a guy with an cool Decepticon logo shirt, I guess.

Edit 2: man that timing, that's weird...

Harlock

Everyone should watch the GameFace episode about GameTrailers shut down. Shane Satterfield talked in big details about the good and bad times, the business side.

Justinh

Everyone should watch the GameFace episode about GameTrailers shut down. Shane Satterfield talked in big details about the good and bad times, the business side.

Seriously, if anyone was at all into Gametrailers, it was a fascinating watch. He talks for over an hour about behind-the-scenes GT stuff. From what I understand getting a 3-day trial account doesn't require a CC so you wouldn't have to worry about an automatic re-bill or something.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Seriously, if anyone was at all into Gametrailers, it was a fascinating watch. He talks for over an hour about behind-the-scenes GT stuff. From what I understand getting a 3-day trial account doesn't require a CC so you wouldn't have to worry about an automatic re-bill or something.

+1 and not only that particular episode, ALL the episodes. GameFace is a really good show.

Rival

Gold Member
i love this guy. Really happy to see him back. He gets a lot of hate for some reason. I don't really get it.

Justinh

take it game face is one of there premium shows that i have to pay for ? yea im relly not a fan of subscriptions
Yeah, and they don't really do this, but they uploaded a portion of the Gameface episode after GT went under.
GameFace: What Happened to GameTrailers? They cut out the Q&A section which was all about GT too, but he's still got some good stories. I'd say it's a must-watch for a GT fan.
i love this guy. Really happy to see him back. He gets a lot of hate for some reason. I don't really get it.

Yeah, even though he's..."not right" everytime he says something, I've always really liked hearing from his perspective.

LoveCake

Pachter Factor Episode 18 Is now up, this just popped up on my subs, so I have not watched this yet.

Will VR crush the Nintendo NX at launch?
Is the toys-to-life bubble bursting?
How does Pach get his intel?
Why is Warner Bros. the only successful media conglomerate at publishing games?
All this and more in this week's Pachter Factor!

He's bang on about Transformers not being on the toys to life bandwagon, though. Why the hell haven't Hasbro done this? They could even base it on the new movies series as well as the old 80's style and get two different demographics in on it. It would be a license to print money.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Yay :) I completely forgot about Pach Attack to be honest, but I'm glad he's back! Good you're back, Michael!

Never heard of Siftd though, is that something to keep an eye on?`edit: Aha! Just read page 2, thanks!

LoveCake

Pachter Factor Episode 19

Pach takes a stab at guessing the price of PlayStation VR and answers questions about making his own video game, world events affecting game sales, and middleware programs like Amazon's new Lumberyard.

Just seen this on my YT subs, not watched yet though so cannot comment.

Justinh

They record this a few weeks in advance so this was before they announced the price and date.

Yeah, that one looks like the last one of that particular shoot, and from what I can tell they did that shoot like 2 weeks before the PSVR information came out.

edit: yeah there's a little pop-up in the video clarifying. oh lol
and a buzzer too

Justinh

He got really upset with that one question, holy shit! lol Never seen him like that before.

Yeah seems like that one really got to him for real.

You guys are gonna wanna see this week's.
2nd question (not in order below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7WiHaB-TvE

Pach answers his critics, talks about the future of Kotaku, wonders if game subscription models will ever work, and selects dying/rising genres!

Justinh

Don't be mean, Jim!

There's a "Dammit Jim! I'm a ___" joke here somewhere, but I'm too dumb to think of one.

I wonder what the thing he's referring to was.

About EA Access, I've seen so many people praise EA Access around these parts, but I've never been interested in the library of the game vault. I guess the 10 trial thing is a good thing, I've seen people say it saved them 60 dollars.

krae_man

He got really upset with that one question, holy shit! lol Never seen him like that before.

You missed this video then.

I'm surprised Pachter said Amazon was selling games to Prime members at cost(actually a loss after factoring in shipping). I think it's more likely they negotiated a better wholesale rate. Multiple Canadian retailers have had 30% off preorder deals for years. I doubt they were selling games at a loss.

Justinh

Sorry about the non-content bump, but they're taking questions now for the next round of questions.

HwGhDX6.jpg

I was going to wait for the next episode to post it with that, but if they're shooting over the weekend I was afraid that they'd finish up before the next episode ended.

Top Bottom