• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter Factor: Michael Pachter is back with his new show. (SIFTD games)

OcaKx7w.jpg

That's an interesting episode.
I difinitelly agree with that the console days are counted, eventually everything will be a PC/phone conected to the TV. Play Anywhere and Windows Store may be the livesaver for Xbox but they aren't pushing hard enough. MS should improve and get more third party games to their store aswell as being more strict with the game they finance going to steam or other platforms.

krae_man

Man Pachters responses to the questions regarding iterative hardware are confusing.

I think he's trying to say that the current consoles(PS4/XBone) won't be able to play games made for the Neo/Scorpio successors but what he actually keeps saying is that the Neo/Scorpio successors won't be able to play any games released for the PS4/Xbone to date.

I can't tell if he's confusing the two things, they've somehow merged as the same thing in his mind, or he's' saying exactly what he means.

Raw bars

Banned
Umm.... what a complete 180 from neogaf. I thought you people haTed this guy cause he would say bad things about Sony. What happened? Why is he cool now?

PtM

Banned
Man Pachters responses to the questions regarding iterative hardware are confusing.

I think he's trying to say that the current consoles(PS4/XBone) won't be able to play games made for the Neo/Scorpio successors but what he actually keeps saying is that the Neo/Scorpio successors won't be able to play any games released for the PS4/Xbone to date.

I can't tell if he's confusing the two things, they've somehow merged as the same thing in his mind, or he's' saying exactly what he means.
He's just saying that iterations will be BC only to the last preceding iteration.

krae_man

He's just saying that iterations will be BC only to the last preceding iteration.

That doesn't make sense if the consoles are going to be iterative and have the same architecture. Backwards compatibility should be near 100% going forward minus an odd game here and there.. On mobile apps don't stop working after 2 new iphones come out. Sure at some point some apps have new performance issues and other problems several phones down the line but but it's not like you can only buy apps on the iphone less then 3 years old and everything older then that is blocked out and the app makers have to make and sell you a new one.

That doesn't make sense if the consoles are going to be iterative and have the same architecture. Backwards compatibility should be near 100% going forward minus an odd game here and there.. On mobile apps don't stop working after 2 new iphones come out. Sure at some point some apps have new performance issues and other problems several phones down the line but but it's not like you can only buy iphone 6 and 5s apps, everything iphone 5 and under no longer works or whatever.

Exactly, I think he's confused. There shouldn't be -theoretically- any Neo exclusive games going forward, thus, a backwards-compatible PS5 would be able to play all PS4 games (vanilla and Neo). Also, I think his prediction that Neo will be released in spring 2017 does not make sense. Sony would lose the year advantage over Scorpio which could be pretty significant. A $399 Neo with a considerable power boost over the original released this holiday season would be very attractive.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Umm.... what a complete 180 from neogaf. I thought you people haTed this guy cause he would say bad things about Sony. What happened? Why is he cool now?

There have always been people who watched or listened to him. He was a regular guest on Gametrailers' Bonus Round show, then he had his own segment, and is/was a GAF member. He's frankly the only financial analyst in the industry to show himself. So of course some people would find him cool. And AFAIK, most of the hate comes from his consistently wrong predictions on Nintendo specifically. He was never quite able, much like many people in the games industry, to acknowledge and understand Nintendo's strategy back in the DS and especially Wii days. I would have expected some hardcore gamers to fall for fallacies like "casuals are fickle, the Wii is a fad, the technology is too weak, watch it fail any day now!", but I wouldn't have expected actual professionals, whose job is to actually analyze and predict trends, to follow the same line of thinking.

His perspective has always been that of a financial analyst with little regard for or comprehension of the actual video games business and its history. Like other analysts, as long as manufacturers and big players kept following the same paths of making hardware better and software more expensive, he had no problem predicting things based on data and calculations. But as soon as someone throws a wrench in the system - be it Nintendo or someone else - and the business consensus is called into question, his analyses, and many other analysts' predictions become wildly off the mark.

I may be remembering wrong here - please correct me if so -, but isn't he or his firm at the source of the GAF meme of a crazy dude drawing a nonsensical graph showing the Wii failing and the PS360 rising? At the very least, his thoughts on sales trajectories last gen reflected all the absurdly wrong financial analyses we got at the time. Ah, fun times...

krae_man

Exactly, I think he's confused. There shouldn't be -theoretically- any Neo exclusive games going forward, thus, a backwards-compatible PS5 would be able to play all PS4 games (vanilla and Neo). Also, I think his prediction that Neo will be released in spring 2017 does not make sense. Sony would lose the year advantage over Scorpio which could be pretty significant. A $399 Neo with a considerable power boost over the original released this holiday season would be very attractive.

Well at some point the a system will be left in the dust. When the PS5 comes out I'm sure Neo will be an allowed minimum spec. Although some games may still be original PS4 compatable(like Madden 12 releasing on PS2).

AmyS

Pachter sure doesn't seem to know what he's talking about with regard to Neo.

He thinks Neo is coming March / April or May 2017 for $500 or $600.

LOL.

LoveCake

Pachter sure doesn't seem to know what he's talking about with regard to Neo.

He thinks Neo is coming March / April or May 2017 for $500 or $600.

LOL.

The ep's are from a week or so ago, also Sony hasn't given a solid date yet, on Eurogamer it says this from yesterday
"At E3 2016, Microsoft confirmed a holiday 2017 release date for Project Scorpio, placing a launch around one year after the estimated release date of late 2016 for Sony's mid-generation upgrade, the PS4 Neo"

If Sony are thinking or changing the spec of the Neo then they could well miss xmas/holiday 2016 pushing back into early 2017, also DF said that they think the Neo will be $100 more than the PS4 so that will be $450 going by what Amazon USA has currently, with a game to show of the extra visuals would push up to near $500.

Vashetti

Banned
That's an interesting episode.
I difinitelly agree with that the console days are counted, eventually everything will be a PC/phone conected to the TV. Play Anywhere and Windows Store may be the livesaver for Xbox but they aren't pushing hard enough. MS should improve and get more third party games to their store aswell as being more strict with the game they finance going to steam or other platforms.

How is that going to work for Sony and Nintendo in the future?

They don't have a PC OS like MS to leverage.

LoveCake

Good Ep, he seems to be getting more questions regarding the financial side of the industry which is interesting to hear.

Justinh

Will games go above $60? Should free-to-play games cater to the whales? Do new franchises or sequels make a stock a better buy? What games will sell poorly this holiday season? All this and more in this week's episode!

Episode 38

Interesting, his thoughts on
Watch Dogs 2
. From what I gather from GAF, people seem to expect it to do well.
I know the first one sold really well, but I guess I never considered what else was sold around its release.

geordiemp

There have always been people who watched or listened to him. He was a regular guest on Gametrailers' Bonus Round show, then he had his own segment, and is/was a GAF member. He's frankly the only financial analyst in the industry to show himself. So of course some people would find him cool. And AFAIK, most of the hate comes from his consistently wrong predictions on Nintendo specifically. He was never quite able, much like many people in the games industry, to acknowledge and understand Nintendo's strategy back in the DS and especially Wii days. I would have expected some hardcore gamers to fall for fallacies like "casuals are fickle, the Wii is a fad, the technology is too weak, watch it fail any day now!", but I wouldn't have expected actual professionals, whose job is to actually analyze and predict trends, to follow the same line of thinking.

His perspective has always been that of a financial analyst with little regard for or comprehension of the actual video games business and its history. Like other analysts, as long as manufacturers and big players kept following the same paths of making hardware better and software more expensive, he had no problem predicting things based on data and calculations. But as soon as someone throws a wrench in the system - be it Nintendo or someone else - and the business consensus is called into question, his analyses, and many other analysts' predictions become wildly off the mark.

I may be remembering wrong here - please correct me if so -, but isn't he or his firm at the source of the GAF meme of a crazy dude drawing a nonsensical graph showing the Wii failing and the PS360 rising? At the very least, his thoughts on sales trajectories last gen reflected all the absurdly wrong financial analyses we got at the time. Ah, fun times...

But he does not do that job does he ? Thats where you are wrong.

In one episode he actually explains his job, which is analysing 13 or so companies - some of which are game companies like activision.

So him commenting on Nintendo is his personal having fun thoughts. Thats the problem with GAF sometimes, people dont actually know what he does, he has no need to analyse Nintendo or Japan or that market or what comes out of it/

You guys will love the next episode. He asks GAF to correct him on something he's not sure about.

I'm sure the haters will have a field day.

Justinh

Pachter Factor Episode 39

What happens to collector’s editions when everything is digital? How do the finances work with game-based movies? Is cloud gaming the future? All this and more in this week's episode.

I was going to ask how Nintendo game cards are made (like... who pays for them) and if Nintendo covers the extra costs of producing the cards over an optical disc to help the system from getting too unattractive to third party publishers, but I was afraid he'd call me an idiot, lol...

Wait: was it Fox who made the Spiderman movies? I thought it was always a Sony thing...

It was interesting his take on the UHD player. It definitely doesn't worth charging everyone for a think only a couple of people will use.
I also expect MS to aggresively giving the S during holidays yet Sony will still win because they will be reselling the console to its loyal base.

AmyS

Yeah, because it's been taken back.

Not sure what you meant by that.

Anyway I finished the episode and thought it was pretty good. All about PS4 Pro, 4K and a bit on Scorpio.

He definitely made valid points and mentioned these consoles are a good intermediate step. Getting ahead of the surge of 4K TV sales in the next few years, where 1080p TVs will be all but not made anymore. In 3 or 4 years (he said) PS5 and Xbox 2 (or whatever its called) will be out, that will be the next generation. The point is, neither Sony nor Microsoft are truncating this generation. PS4 Pro is likely to help push sales of 4K TV because broadcast over the air TV isn't coming until 2020, and too few people care about 4K movie discs. Most people will stream 4K movies and wasn't worth the extra cost to include 4K Blu-ray (something I disagree with, but the point is still valid).

Plus the last thing he said (which was about iPhone) was really funny.

-sdp

Michael Pachter is an awesome guy, the hate mostly come from gamers who don't understand the industry or finance and feel like armchair CEOs of companies. There is a difference in being a fan and running a company. I know for a fact his job requires a lot of skill. I've only asked a question once and it was on episode #24 of the new show, he kind of misunderstood my question but whatever.

Justinh

Did they change anything from the old version?

I didn't catch it on youtube before the first video was taken down. I'm guessing they had to change a graphic or something since it appears to be the same length. I didn't see any reasoning on @SIFTDGames' twitter account either. I think I remember them giving an explanation before once.

PtM

Banned
He says Nintendo look at mobile gaming as a supplement, yet he wonders why they go paid download with Mario Run?
Because they want to bring people over to console, and they're not going F2P over there.

BY2K

Membero Americo
FYI he defended his "late, not so great Iwata" comment by saying that he always said Iwata was a bad CEO, even when he was alive.

I love Pachter's old show, so I hope it's similar to PachAttack.

People hate on him because he's talking to investors, not gamers, and that makes game enthusiasts upset.

*edit*

Oh... I guess this is old.

LoveCake

Pachter Factor Episode 42

This week Pach shares his opinion on the mistakes Microsoft made with Xbox One post-launch, the cost of staggered release dates in Japan and the US, the power of betas, Crash Bandicoot, and more!

Pach's views on the Xbox release are interesting.

Next video should be about the N/S!

AmyS

Pachter Factor Episode 44 is up.

Is another video game industry crash on the way? Does a game’s length impact its sales? Is Sony screwed in a console-free future? Is mobile gaming on the downswing?

Edit:

He said a console-less future, where games including MP games from Sony, Microsoft, EA, Activision, etc are streaming from the cloud, isn't going to materialize for another 9 years, around 2025).

I'll take that as his own acceptance that there will be PS5 / Xbox Next consoles, with physical media, in the meantime.

Also, Episode 43

Will the hardware refresh cycle continue? Does Microsoft really care about Xbox? Do most adults still think gaming is for kids? Is Mad Catz doomed?

Every time I watch these videos there are only just a few thousand views. Are they really producing this for such low eye counts? How is Siftd making money anyways? The service just seems bonkers

Just noticed it's a one year anniversary, which makes the numbers even more embarrassing

LoveCake

Every time I watch these videos there are only just a few thousand views. Are they really producing this for such low eye counts? How is Siftd making money anyways? The service just seems bonkers

Just noticed it's a one year anniversary, which makes the numbers even more embarrassing

Not wanting to go off topic but, I think that they are disappointed in the number of viewers and they have mentioned it a few times, I think that the issue is that SIFTED is a small site and it's hard to get noticed, also Pachter is pretty divisive, it is just his informed opinion and view on a subject where he has a inside pass, people seem to forget that he is looking at the industry from the financial side, he goes on about Nintendo because he thinks that they should be making more money thus more profits for investors on the IP than Nintendo own, Pachter also does the videos for free (a cup of coffee I think he has said in a previous video) and he insisted on them being free on YouTube, he doesn't have to do this, I jus think that a lot just view him through a narrow viewpoint from a gamer/gaming perspective when he is coming from the industry/financial side, I like Pachter, I don't always agree with what he says, but I'm not going to dismiss him and call him a prick because he has said something about a game/developer/publisher that I like.

Anyway, pretty good episode this week.

PtM

Banned
That wasn't off topic at all.

He thinks the VG stigma is gone? Sorry to bring it up, but that reminds me of the divide in the US presidential votes. I think there's a divide on similar or parallel lines for video games.

Hearing him talking about good examples of lengthy games, he isn't really a Nintendo gamer, or do I misperceive their games?

Anyway, just went and thumbed up the last couple of videos.

Budi

I like Pachter, I don't always agree with what he says, but I'm not going to dismiss him and call him a prick because he has said something about a game/developer/publisher that I like.

Or said something bad about people who mainly play on PC. I do, but I still like Pachter. Need to catch up on the episodes. I've been quite lazily following him on SIFTD. But he was one of the main draws for me to start following Gametrailers back in the days.

Top Bottom