• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter: PS5 to be a half step, release in 2019 with PS4 BC

Are people really celebrating the PS5 being more than a 40% leap over the Pro lol?

Ryzen + 16GB's of RAM + 9-10tflop GPU is exactly the ballpark Matt is talking about realistically for PS5.

The people expecting 64GB's of RAM and 15-20tflop GPU's are insane for a number of reasons, mainly cost.

THE:MILKMAN

Are people really celebrating the PS5 being more than a 40% leap over the Pro lol?

Ryzen + 16GB's of RAM + 9-10tflop GPU is exactly the ballpark Matt is talking about realistically for PS5.

The people expecting 64GB's of RAM and 15-20tflop GPU's are insane for a number of reasons, mainly cost.

Hey I've tried to be realistic! It doesn't seem to wash or be accepted by most, though.

Hey I've tried to be realistic! It doesn't seem to wash or be accepted by most, though.

People in this thread should look at what is being achieved on the base PS4 visually using a 1.84tflop GPU. A much more modern 10tflop GPU (along with double the memory and a much more efficient CPU) will show a generational leap over the Pro with no issues imo.

Theonik

64GB of GDDR6 ram is possible if Sony used a 512-bit bus and 32Gb modules that are in spec but don't actually exist. BELIEVE.

People in this thread should look at what is being achieved on the base PS4 visually using a 1.84tflop GPU. A much more modern 10tflop GPU (along with double the memory and a much more efficient CPU) will show a generational leap over the Pro with no issues imo.

I completely agree. I hope Sony do what Microsoft did with X and come out as early as possible with what the specs will be. Knowing the specs from the horses mouth (and even being shown the motherboard layout) 18 months in advance will stop a lot of the crazy numbers we see here.

Blanquito

I completely agree. I hope Sony do what Microsoft did with X and come out as early as possible with what the specs will be. Knowing the specs from the horses mouth (and even being shown the motherboard layout) 18 months in advance will stop a lot of the crazy numbers we see here.

Highly doubtful that we'll hear anything about PS5 until several months before it launches. Andrew House specifically said that the time between the ps4 Feb reveal and the launch were way too long. You can also see that in the ps4pro reveal

deadlast

Games on the PS4 look great, I know the PC looks better. But over all, games on the PS4 look great. I think the major update for the PS5 will be a large bump in CPU power. I think we will see a moderate bump to the GPU.
My speculation is that 1/2 thorough the cycle Sony will release another Pro that will streamline the PS5 and upgrades the GPU.

Shin

Banned

10TF is overkill, 8TF is good enough for 4K as per Cerny's remark, we don't need 16GB either, 12 is fine and a downclocked Zen at 2.5GHz at $249 in 2019.
Go crazy with the Pro model and price it at $499 (16TF, 24GB, 3.5GHz and all that) in 2022 both parties happy /s, as much as I'm joking such a model would fly off the shelves ($249).

Highly doubtful that we'll hear anything about PS5 until several months before it launches. Andrew House specifically said that the time between the ps4 Feb reveal and the launch were way too long. You can also see that in the ps4pro reveal

House did say that, true. Although just how near launch do they dare go? Pro was 2 months before launch (minus comments from Sony reps because of leaks!) Do you think PS5 will be the same?

I mean they could do the official full reveal very close to launch but that doesn't mean they can't reveal information about it beforehand? They have already talked to media in general about it.

I'm not convinced of the prospect of a PS5 Pro.

I reiterate my previous argument on the matter...

How do they market the thing?

PS4 Pro, was positioned around 4k.

PS5 will render 4k natively, with performance to spare*.

The jump to 8k from 4k, is much less evident on a max. 50inch screen from typical viewing distances. You're well into diminishing returns there. Sure TV manufacturers will be heavily marketing 8k TVs in 2023+, and 8k TVs will become standard shortly afterwards, but from a game development point of view, with increases in performance slowing with a slowdown in Moore's Law, is it really prudent to waste so much of your processor performance on 8k rendering when you can just pick some sub-4k resolution and checkerboard to get results most mainstream gamers won't recognize as different?

To throw another log on the 8k fire, even with the 1080p to 4k transition, it can be said that, arguably, HDR was a bigger deal than the actual 4k resolution was. So if we accept this, 8k/HDR from 4k/HDR on a 32-50inch screen an at typical viewing distances isn't going to make people want to run out to buy a PS5 Pro.

So if not 8k, then what becomes the PS5's USP? "Moar powa!" alone simply isn't enough.

Fukuzatsu

You're not really saying anything that I disagree with nor are you saying anything that is relevant to the discussion around BC I was having with that other poster.

The original discussion was about whether or not there was a business case for PS Now as an effective BC solution. It was implied by the original premise (that wasn't mine, by the way, so don't attribute it to me) that BC here simply referred to "a means of accessing legacy titles", since it was obvious to everyone and their uncle that PS Now is a service that isn't about letting you play games you already own. The discussion also touched on remasters as another "effective BC solution", i.e. "means of providing access to legacy content".

In general discussion, when people talk about BC in relation to remasters and services like PS Now, they're using the term "BC" loosely and placing these options under the umbrella.

From the beginning of the discussion, no-one has tried to re-define ACTUAL Backwards Compatibility, i.e. providing access to legacy content through software emulation on new console hardware.

All you're doing here is trying to start a semantic argument by taking a post out of context from its original thread of discussion. So forgive me for not wanting to respond directly to your points here, because in every sense they're irrelevant to the discussion that you clearly haven't followed properly.

At the end of the day, it's all good. I feel this line of discussion is both off-topic and been thoroughly exhausted (if not abused).

It's time to move on from the PS Now BC talk. Since it's clearly not going anywhere.

I realise it's not precisely what was being argued, but my reason for mentioning it in the first place (which was a reply to Goalus) was in the context of using PS Now to allow for PS4 BC with a potential PS5. My claim was that PS Now is not a suitable form (or substitute, or whatever anyone might call it) of BC, for a variety of reasons.

There are other methods I think they could offer such a service without making a system that can directly play any game, but streaming as a substitute is unique to Sony and thus far has been, I would say, less than successful. That's just based on comments I hear about it (and experience trying it myself), but it's an important aspect to any future PS console.

I apologise if I came across aggressive, I wasn't trying to derail you or anything.

House did say that, true. Although just how near launch do they dare go? Pro was 2 months before launch (minus comments from Sony reps because of leaks!) Do you think PS5 will be the same?

I mean they could do the official full reveal very close to launch but that doesn't mean they can't reveal information about it beforehand? They have already talked to media in general about it.

Nintendo only did their full reveal less than 2 months before launch, I doubt they would go that far but less than 6 months should be easy enough.

onQ123

I disagree for 1 reason & that's because of how programmable the GPU is on the PS4 so it will be hard to really see a generational gap so soon. I think PS5 will be more like turning the levels up & putting icing on the cake.

Exclusive shiny games, both from 1st and 3rd parties. Simple as that. Something the PS4 Pro does not have.

Just imagine FF VII-R or TLOU 2 exclusive for PS5 ("the PS4 would melt trying to run this!")...

Fukuzatsu

Do any of them really do this any more now? Most have a dependency on online infrastructure and involve downloading/streaming/buying some kind of modified version. The pop in an old disk/cartridge and play off the media model seems dead sadly.

I think a model of "pop in disc/have previous digital license -> get download of game on new system" is fine, as long as the compatability is there.

The chief problem in my mind with PS Now is both the sparse catalogue (especially with regard to key exclusives), and the fact that there are regions where it basically just doesn't exist or can't effectively work. A slow internet connection in a model where you have to download a digital copy of a disc game you own means that it takes more time to start playing it, but a slow connection with a service like PS Now can mean it's basically unplayable.

Even in the officially supported regions (say, Japan or the US), there are still plenty of cases of very bad input latency, and of course unlike the XO's implementation, there's no boost to framerates, and as for resolution, well, it's streaming.

As for what people actually do with BC, it's a mixed bag to be sure, but think back to Black Ops 2 hitting the charts again after it got approved for BC--that was a surprise, but is actually impossible with a service like PS Now regardless of compatability or performance, if only because PS Now is a bundle package. The need to subcribe to the entire thing and only rent games rather than buy them is just the cherry on top of an already disgusting sundae.

Theonik

Neither console manufacturer has decent BC this generation. The Microsoft solution is also really bad and supports a tiny portion of the library and does so poorly.

One of the main drivers for going X86 was on-going BC. I can't find it right now but I'm sure some Sony exec stated as such many years ago.

I imagine Sony originally envisages Cell to become akin to X86, but alas.

Shin

Banned

The jump to 8k from 4k, is much less evident on a max. 50inch screen from typical viewing distances. You're well into diminishing returns there. Sure TV manufacturers will be heavily marketing 8k TVs in 2023+, and 8k TVs will become standard shortly afterwards, but from a game development point of view, with increases in performance slowing with a slowdown in Moore's Law, is it really prudent to waste so much of your processor performance on 8k rendering when you can just pick some sub-4k resolution and checkerboard to get results most mainstream gamers won't recognize as different?

To throw another log on the 8k fire, even with the 1080p to 4k transition, it can be said that, arguably, HDR was a bigger deal than the actual 4k resolution was. So if we accept this, 8k/HDR from 4k/HDR on a 32-50inch screen an at typical viewing distances isn't going to make people want to run out to buy a PS5 Pro.

So if not 8k, then what becomes the PS5's USP? "Moar powa!" alone simply isn't enough.

That is the real question, how much power is "enough".
I don't think anyone can answer that ATM because games have never been made strictly for that resolution from the ground up.
We might have a vague idea in the sense of a GTX 1080Ti but that card isn't being used to it's max potential and even then to achieve 4K60 it's usually paired with a CPU that runs between 4-5GHz.
That's enough to warrant an extra 30FPS by itself for game and/or their engines that highly depend on a CPU.
8K can kiss my ass the difference between 4K and 8K is far less than 1080p vs 4K, it's really not worth pursuing.

While I was joking and slightly annoyed at people settling for whatever they get the point I made isn't so bad really.
A 8TF box is well within what's currently happening with PS4 Slim prices, -$150 - 200 drop in 3 years, by 2019 they could very well release a machine with beefed up specs at $249.
A VR/PSVR2 should be considered and what's needed for that because that's one mistake I'm sure they learned from, the box will need to able to be meaningful to warrant a purchase + PSVR2.
If a Pro version doesn't happen and they decide to go all out at $499 then more power to them because I seriously don't feel to wait till 2022/2023 for a Pro version, go all out with 1 machine.

I realise it's not precisely what was being argued, but my reason for mentioning it in the first place (which was a reply to Goalus) was in the context of using PS Now to allow for PS4 BC with a potential PS5. My claim was that PS Now is not a suitable form (or substitute, or whatever anyone might call it) of BC, for a variety of reasons.

There are other methods I think they could offer such a service without making a system that can directly play any game, but streaming as a substitute is unique to Sony and thus far has been, I would say, less than successful. That's just based on comments I hear about it (and experience trying it myself), but it's an important aspect to any future PS console.

I apologise if I came across aggressive, I wasn't trying to derail you or anything.

No need to apologize at all. You didn't come across as aggressive. It's no worries at all, my man.

Like I said before, your points are all valid, it's just that I didn't feel as if they were relevant to the things I was trying to address in jryi's original post about the business case for PS Now as a BC solution.

I realize now, however, that I misunderstood jryi's original meaning anyway, so the line of discussion has basically be me arguing against something that wasn't even jryi's intent in the first place.

On the subject of PS Now though, unless someone actually has some data on it, I'm not sure anyone should be conclusively declaring it a failure.

From a purely technological perspective, it works! I played and completed God of War 3 in two sittings on the platform. I'm a registered Playstation beta tester and so got in on the beta. Of course, as with all streaming-based solutions YMMV, because it's heavily dependent on the client console's connection to the internet. Mine was a pretty spotty, shitty connection at the time and I only experienced minor stuttering in no-more than a couple of places (note: I live in the UK).

Exclusive shiny games, both from 1st and 3rd parties. Simple as that. Something the PS4 Pro does not have.

Just imagine FF VII-R or TLOU 2 exclusive for PS5 ("the PS4 would melt trying to run this!")...

I think you may have missed the "Pro" part of that post. I was talking about a hypothetical PS5 Pro, not the PS5.

Shin

Banned
What's the read speed for 4K internal drives anyone got some info where we're at with that?
Did they get faster or still the same speeds as the current BD drive in PS4/XB1?

How would that matter anyway?

Faster install times :p ( I haven't heard anything about Pro or Xbones/x having faster installs though, so I doubt it)

Trying to phrase this in a way that doesn't excite Jeff Rigby, but I'm pretty sure the original models were already spinning faster than what 4k Blu Ray requires.
If they start putting games on 100GB discs or whatever then I guess we can expect the speed to go up to compensate for slower installs.

Shin

Banned
How would that matter anyway?

Bad habit you have there, asking a question with a question with almost every "response".
Faster installation, data is accessed and read from the disc then written to the HDD, so it matters.
There isn't much to go on, this topic is being dragged on because we find the discussion of all things PS5 interesting.

Faster install times :p ( I haven't heard anything about Pro or Xbones/x having faster installs though, so I doubt it)

Trying to phrase this in a way that doesn't excite Jeff Rigby, but I'm pretty sure the original models were already spinning faster than what 4k Blu Ray requires.
If they start putting games on 100GB discs or whatever then I guess we can expect the speed to go up to compensate for slower installs.

That's the other thing I'm interested in, will it be BDXL, I really can't see them not going that route unless we'll have multiple discs like PS1 era, FF7 anyone?

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Bad habit you have there, asking a question with a question with almost every "response".
Faster installation, data is accessed and read from the disc then written to the HDD, so it matters.
There isn't much to go on, this topic is being dragged on because we find the discussion of all things PS5 interesting.

Well, this thread is going to get very very very long over the next few years. I do find it interesting, but well, at what point is the speculative discussion been had to death?

Shin

Banned
Well, this thread is going to get very very very long over the next few years. I do find it interesting, but well, at what point is the speculative discussion been had to death?

That was probably the first post already haha, we need someone to throw a bone :/

Nah...They'll be a new leak(s) in the coming months and new news equals a new thread.

Edit:

My prediction would be first spec/doc leaks around June next year if late 2019 launch or a year later if late 2020 i.e in-line with the timeline of PS4.

Shin

Banned
Early 2020 launch would be good also, with all the good will they gathered this gen if that carries over (BC) a November launch doesn't seem so great.
Black Friday, Christmas, it's going to be a massacre, January meeting, March launch seems more interesting (though maybe too close to launch).

Darklor01

Nah...They'll be a new leak(s) in the coming months and new news equals a new thread.

Edit:

My prediction would be first spec/doc leaks around June next year if late 2019 launch or a year later if late 2020 i.e in-line with the timeline of PS4.

Where is the Foxconn artist guy when you need him? ;)

RootCause

That, plus the fact it won't be held back by the ps4. The difference should be pretty big.

Darklor01

That, plus the fact it won't be held back by the ps4. The difference should be pretty big.

There are some people that theorize that as long as developers are making the console game to support multiple hardware versions for a game, especially 3rd party devs, a game will be held back by the lowest level of hardware support.

c0de

That's the other thing I'm interested in, will it be BDXL, I really can't see them not going that route unless we'll have multiple discs like PS1 era, FF7 anyone?

PS4 already does a fast install where you can play while it's copying data from disc to disk.
And yes, there isn't much to go on. and no, a faster odd won't have any noticable effect on anything if playgo or how it's called is implemented correctly. This means better than FF15.

Shin

Banned
PS4 already does a fast install where you can play while it's copying data from disc to disk.

Forgot it existed, that itself is a nice break through since it's reading the data from the disc itself as you claim.
It does solve the problem of needing a faster drive, though wouldn't a drive that reads faster mean that data could be streamed/read faster as well and in return speed up installation?
Not sure how the system works exactly, generally when you play as you go you're usually still waiting on a large chunk of a game (PC space/MMO's) to be downloaded/be ready before you can play.

I wonder if they can't find a work around to copy data from the disc as well as download at the same time from their network (not sure if a HDD can read/write that fast), at least the initial chunk needed to play.
Assuming they go with BDXL I wonder if game prices will go up as well, I don't really see publishers taking $1+ hit on every disc they print (BDXL discs are more expensive than regular BD).

How long does it take to install and play a game on PS4?

Leyasu

Banned

You don't need to work in the industry to see that most of what has been written in this thread is pure fantasy.

A 10tf gpu is the absolute max. This thing has got a price point to hit. Going to big on the ram and gpu is not happening.

The specs you listed look nice for a console three years out Imo.

I think you may have missed the "Pro" part of that post. I was talking about a hypothetical PS5 Pro, not the PS5.

Maybe a PS5 Pro would just be used as PR against a new XBOX? Say if Sony releases the PS5 in 2019 and MS releases their next console in 2021. Does this make MS try to make their new machine more unique to prevent Sony from dropping a Pro with similar specs a year later?

Lady Gaia

Early 2020 launch would be good also...

I've been curious whether anyone else would follow in Nintnedo's footsteps with a hardware launch early in the year, or whether it was the product of unique circumstances. Normally you'd want to wait for the lucrative holiday season to end before starting to ramp up interest in a new launch, which makes a fall release a much better bet. One obvious exception is when your prior console is already dead in the water.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I've been curious whether anyone else would follow in Nintnedo's footsteps with a hardware launch early in the year, or whether it was the product of unique circumstances. Normally you'd want to wait for the lucrative holiday season to end before starting to ramp up interest in a new launch, which makes a fall release a much better bet. One obvious exception is when your prior console is already dead in the water.

Nintendo is a unique case because their own first party games are what drives the initial adoption versus Xbox and Playstation which are mostly fueled by major multiplatform games. Something like a Call of Duty, Battlefield, etc. Sony and MS would probably want to launch with titles like that available and taking advantage of the hardware.

Shin

Banned

It's seems to be all over the place for the rest of the world, only the US there's a strong connection to Q4 for some reason (most sale over that period?).

PlayStation
  • JP: 3 December 1994
  • NA: 9 September 1995
  • EU: 29 September 1995
PlayStation 2
  • JP: March 4, 2000
  • NA: October 26, 2000
  • EU: November 24, 2000
PlayStation 3
  • JP: November 11, 2006
  • NA: November 17, 2006
  • PAL: March 23, 2007
PlayStation 4
  • NA: November 15, 2013
  • PAL: November 29, 2013
  • JP: February 22, 2014

Nintendo is a unique case because their own first party games are what drives the initial adoption versus Xbox and Playstation which are mostly fueled by major multiplatform games. Something like a Call of Duty, Battlefield, etc. Sony and MS would probably want to launch with titles like that available and taking advantage of the hardware.

That would be Gran Theft Auto VI: DE for PS5 in this case since R* has RDR2 coming out next year, GTAVI should be out by 2020 (7 years after GTAV?).
Similar situation as to what happen to GTAV on PS3/PS4.

You don't need to work in the industry to see that most of what has been written in this thread is pure fantasy.

A 10tf gpu is the absolute max. This thing has got a price point to hit. Going to big on the ram and gpu is not happening.

The specs you listed look nice for a console three years out Imo.
Don't know, looking at the R9 290, RX480 and Vega XT and XL a 11-12TF machine isn't far fetched either.
Price, launch date, performance, power consumption, 3 years down the road, node shrink, architectural gains

RedSwirl

I don't know man. It seems to have been enough for the new 3DS. I think without an obvious resolution bump Sony would have to make a big deal out of specific games that look way better on the PS5 Pro or have certain enhancements on PS5 Pro like Nintendo did with the new 3DS (new 3DS-exclusive games notwithstanding). IDK, it's hard to make the phone comparison because just being faster means a lot more for phones (and computers) since there's more to do with that speed -- applications outside of gaming and such.

Don't know, looking at the R9 290, RX480 and Vega XT and XL a 11-12TF machine isn't far fetched either.
Price, launch date, performance, power consumption, 3 years down the road, node shrink, architectural gains

I wish I was so confident even if PS5 is 3 years out which really isn't that long in this game. Looking at Vega FE and it's 300W TDP I can't see that Sony/AMD could get close to a whole system with 11-12TF+4/8 CPU cores in the 150-200W at the wall range from mainly a die shrink to 7nm. Even if Navi is used, what realistically could be expected of arch improvements? Power consumption looks like a real problem for AMD right now.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I wish I was so confident even if PS5 is 3 years out which really isn't that long in this game. Looking at Vega FE and it's 300W TDP I can't see that Sony/AMD could get close to a whole system with 11-12TF+4/8 CPU cores in the 150-200W at the wall range from mainly a die shrink to 7nm. Even if Navi is used, what realistically could be expected of arch improvements? Power consumption looks like a real problem for AMD right now.
I think Navi power consumption will be the real determining factor. That architecture has different leads on it than Vega, right?

jdstorm

Banned

While thats true to some extent, Sony's first party content is healthier right now then it has ever been. It is certainly one of the big reasons people are choosing to buy a PS4 over an Xbox one. It really makes you wonder what would have happend with the PS4 had it launched with The Last of Us and GT6 as its 2 big launch tentpole games

Theonik

What? Poorly? Anyone want to get this?
Joke post?
Games perform OK for the most part, their approach is inherently inaccurate but that's subjective I suppose. The problem, which in part leads to the really poor compatibility is they force you to DL a package of the game with the 360 OS for every game, this isn't really a good BC solution at all. There were also hard technical limitations with it until recently namely multi-disk games.

Top Bottom