• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter: PS5 to be a half step, release in 2019 with PS4 BC

kabel

Don't know if this was posted here

GloFo 14nm vs 7nm:

oajvimprrw3z.png

3Ghz vs 5Ghz operation

In contrast to 14nm (LPP = Low Power Plus) the 7nm process will be LP=Leading Performance.

3 vs 5 GHz is pretty hefty (I assume that's for discrete CPUs).

We should be able to easily get an octa-core 3-3.5 GHz Mobile Ryzen Pro on a PS5 APU and call it a monumental generational leap over Jaguar @ 1.6 GHz.

Just imagine boost mode on a PS5...

Pachinko

I enjoy that endless speculation keeps dredging up this thread. Pretty sure we're all agreed that a 2019 box will be much more than a "half step" upgrade too , otherwise what would be the point ? This thing needs to be so far ahead of Xbox One X that it feels like a generational leap even ... at the most minimal sense.

With all the spec/tech talk though I think we've let slip what *WE* actually want to see from game graphics going forward. Throwing numbers like 8-12 TF around and how many transistors ... clockspeeds , memory, etc etc around is all well and good but what would people want that power used for ?

My own idea is as follows - It's pointless to make a new playstation until , at minimum it can render the following with ease (below are a series of technical tests):

1) Horizon: Zero Dawn along with the Decima engine HAVE to be able to run at 3820X2160 native with all the same settings as the current PRO version but at 60 FPS without a single drop at flawless 16.6ms frame pacing. Those same visuals need to run at 120 FPS in full 1920X1080p to support a theoretical VR mode (or simply 4X MSAA). No checkerboarding or "90 fps interpolation" to fake the image up to that level either. My reasoning is as follows - the game already looks fantastic on the PRO and the checkerboarding is pulled off so well that the image is "close enough" to native 4K to not matter so a new console will HAVE to push the frame rate up there.

2) Naughty Dogs current Uncharted engine (powering U4 along with the more recent lost legacy) should also be able to pull off the same feat. Native 4K visuals , 60 fps , flawless frame pacing.

3) Every other current engine needs to be able to do the same as the above with PC equivalent "high" settings. Frostbite, Unreal 4, etc.

4) Finally, whatever brand new engines crop up to fully utilize all the new shader power afforded by a theoretical PS5 (say frostbite 3.0 or Unreal 5) need to offer 3 visual options no matter the game - full 4K at 30 FPS with max details , 1080P at 60 fps with max details or finally, an optimal setting at roughly 1440p 60 fps with tweaked details or some dynamic graphics to keep things smooth.

I , for one, won't settle for less. If this device can't make it out in 2019 ? delay it's launch until it can.

THE:MILKMAN

I enjoy that endless speculation keeps dredging up this thread. Pretty sure we're all agreed that a 2019 box will be much more than a "half step" upgrade too , otherwise what would be the point ? This thing needs to be so far ahead of Xbox One X that it feels like a generational leap even ... at the most minimal sense.

I think it unfair and unrealistic to expect PS5 to be a generation leap over One X......

I don't even think PS5 will (or needs to be) much more than a 6 times upgrade over PS4 never mind Pro or One X. The bigger worry for me right now is the state of software especially Sony's own studio's where quite a few teams put out multiple games each even on much more difficult HW last gen.

Considering the much touted ease and quickness of development that PS4 brought, it has been surprising the lack of games and horrendous delays (plus other technical issues).

Audioserf

I think it unfair and unrealistic to expect PS5 to be a generation leap over One X......

I don't even think PS5 will (or needs to be) much more than a 6 times upgrade over PS4 never mind Pro or One X. The bigger worry for me right now is the state of software especially Sony's own studio's where quite a few teams put out multiple games each even on much more difficult HW last gen.

Considering the much touted ease and quickness of development that PS4 brought, it has been surprising the lack of games and horrendous delays (plus other technical issues).

But it very much will be a generational leap over the One X. I think you're focusing too much on is graphical capabilities rather than its general computational power which, with the availability of AMDs Zen + architecture going forward, is going to be so thoroughly colossal that I'm certain it's going to cause a big sea change in the way games are made.

The ability to simulate physics, AI and animation engines to a much much higher degree is what's going to drive the next generation of consoles, rather than simple more graphical power (which we will also have, but it won't be the focal point).

That's less due to hardware complexity and more to ballooning scopes and work hours that go into assets, etc. Remaking a relatively short, linear game to the same degree of visual complexity and fidelity as, say, Dead Space, would probably be faster now than on the PS3. Games aren't like that anymore, though.

I wonder if they could go with a hybrid memory/storage solution like the one AMD is delivering on the SSG cards, with the GPU being able to talk directly to a pool of NAND through a very fast, very wide interface. That could help immensely with stuff like texture streaming, I think, and reduce some pressure on the memory.

THE:MILKMAN

But it very much will be a generational leap over the One X. I think you're focusing too much on is graphical capabilities rather than its general computational power which, with the availability of AMDs Zen + architecture going forward, is going to be so thoroughly colossal that I'm certain it's going to cause a big sea change in the way games are made.

The ability to simulate physics, AI and animation engines to a much much higher degree is what's going to drive the next generation of consoles, rather than simple more graphical power (which we will also have, but it won't be the focal point).

I wasn't focusing on anything in particular because Pachinko didn't! Sure by default the next gen will have a substantially better CPU but even here some are expecting too much.

It will still need to be a stripped down mobile CPU clocked lower to fit in a APU with a limited power envelope. Even if I'm wrong and they get some special sauce full fat mega CPU, it would go to waste somewhat because using it to full effect would require a big addional effort by devs to harness. This gen has already proved difficult for devs without such an upgrade on the CPU side to develop for.

I really hope the next gen consoles do blow me away but feel so much is up in the air and unpredictable right now. I wonder how long we have to wait for the next round of leaks/speculation to come?

Why are you surprised?

AAA production values != x86-64 arch

Production values = assets (textures, poly-count), scenario, mo-cap, SFX, OST (dozens of GBs)

x86-64 arch = the instruction set/machine language of the executable file (a few MBs at most)

Who said that x86 is going to make AAA development cheaper overall? Programming is a small subset of the overall process. It's the artistic stuff (and marketing/PR) that costs the most!

It's no wonder that AAA games in the previous gen cost a lot less, despite the PPC arch. Previous-gen games had a target of 512MB RAM (less detailed textures, lower poly-count, linear worlds for the most part etc etc.)

Making almost all AAA games open world doesn't help either.

AAA game development is destined to become unsustainable in the near future, it's pure math if you think about it. AAA devs will have to realize that pushing the graphics envelope is not the way to go (Nintendo realized this a decade ago with the Wii). Maybe they'll come to their senses and they'll start targeting 60 fps instead of 30 fps with maxed out graphics.

That's less due to hardware complexity and more to ballooning scopes and work hours that go into assets, etc. Remaking a relatively short, linear game to the same degree of visual complexity and fidelity as, say, Dead Space, would probably be faster now than on the PS3. Games aren't like that anymore, though.
Exactly. It's not the ISA that keeps inflating AAA dev costs, causing numerous delays and dev company bankruptcies.

That's not to say that a PS5 with a Cell 2 wouldn't complicate things further, but it's the asset creation that costs the most!

I wonder if they could go with a hybrid memory/storage solution like the one AMD is delivering on the SSG cards, with the GPU being able to talk directly to a pool of NAND through a very fast, very wide interface. That could help immensely with stuff like texture streaming, I think, and reduce some pressure on the memory.
That's a given thanks to Vega's HBCC.

Honestly, I've never understood what's the point of this feature on PCs. It seems like it was designed (in collaboration with Sony probably?) for consoles with unified memory and perhaps PS4 Pro supports an archaic version of it.

gatti-man

You are in for a huge disappointment.

Why are you surprised?

AAA production values != x86-64 arch

Production values = assets (textures, poly-count), scenario, mo-cap, SFX, OST (dozens of GBs)

x86-64 arch = the instruction set/machine language of the executable file (a few MBs at most)

Who said that x86 is going to make AAA development cheaper overall? Programming is a small subset of the overall process. It's the artistic stuff (and marketing/PR) that costs the most!

It's no wonder that AAA games in the previous gen cost a lot less, despite the PPC arch. Previous-gen games had a target of 512MB RAM (less detailed textures, lower poly-count, linear worlds for the most part etc etc.)

Making almost all AAA games open world doesn't help either.

AAA game development is destined to become unsustainable in the near future, it's pure math if you think about it. AAA devs will have to realize that pushing the graphics envelope is not the way to go (Nintendo realized this a decade ago with the Wii). Maybe they'll come to their senses and they'll start targeting 60 fps instead of 30 fps with maxed out graphics.

Exactly. It's not the ISA that keeps inflating AAA dev costs, causing numerous delays and dev company bankruptcies.

That's not to say that a PS5 with a Cell 2 wouldn't complicate things further, but it's the asset creation that costs the most!

That's a given thanks to Vega's HBCC.

Honestly, I've never understood what's the point of this feature on PCs. It seems like it was designed (in collaboration with Sony probably?) for consoles with unified memory and perhaps PS4 Pro supports an archaic version of it.

Assets don't have to be created fresh every time. Ground textures, trees, walls, just create and database of 4k assets and draw from that over and over while creating new ones every time you need them. These could come packed in with engine licensing or shared between all of acti/blizz, EA, and other large companies that own various studios. This is where we are headed in 10-20 years in my opinion.

Assets don't have to be created fresh every time. Ground textures, trees, walls, just create and database of 4k assets and draw from that over and over while creating new ones every time you need them.
This is true in some cases.

For example, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy re-uses assets (probably for jungle stuff) from Uncharted 4 and generally it has a much smaller scope. That's why they were able to produce it in 1 year. I'm not saying this is a bad thing (especially since it's not a full-price release), I'm just making an observation. I also expect TLOU2 to re-use certain assets (graphics & audio).

Last but not least, don't forget that ND outsources some of their artistic work to China (just take a look at the credits, lots of Chinese artists). They're trying to reduce the ballooning AAA costs wherever they can.

These could come packed in with engine licensing or shared between all of acti/blizz, EA, and other large companies that own various studios. This is where we are headed in 10-20 years in my opinion.
Agreed. There's also a high chance of game engines following the same route as Operating Systems (after a certain degree of complexity) and becoming open-source.

You could argue that this would be a sanctioned form of asset flipping though... lots of different studios utilizing the exact same assets. Video games will become more homogenized than ever before.

Neith

Banned
2019 makes no sense to me unless Sony hits a huge roadblock. Just wait for the tech to mature. 2020 holidays seems the perfect point. You don't piss off your base, and you have another year to finalize the tech.

To me 2020 is when people really start itching to buy something new. But if things are ready by 2019 I guess it will be fine.

People talking about hitting native 4K in Horizon with 60FPS. IDK if that will work by 2019. That is a big maybe.

CariusD

2019 makes no sense to me unless Sony hits a huge roadblock. Just wait for the tech to mature. 2020 holidays seems the perfect point. You don't piss off your base, and you have another year to finalize the tech.

To me 2020 is when people really start itching to buy something new. But if things are ready by 2019 I guess it will be fine.

People talking about hitting native 4K in Horizon with 60FPS. IDK if that will work by 2019. That is a big maybe.

It depends on what Navi can bring. I think if it doesn't bring much perf/watt improvement then Sony would probably need to wait for the 7nm+ to bring the something with the performance of Vega 56 to ps5. So it could be 2020 maybe 2021 at this point.

AmyS

This is absolutely true.

Even if PS5 GPU is a rather "modest" 12 TFLOPs (roughly twice the raw performance of XB1X GPU) the move to a Zen+ / Zen 2 CPU (and ~3 GHz clockspeed) will constitute a generational leap in how games are made, what they can be in terms of gameplay, in terms of physics / AI / world simulation, animation etc. Then you factor in that PS5 will be built from the ground up to fully use all the hardware including the CPU, GPU, RAM, storage and whatever controller is designed for PS5, it will be a sea change from the current base PS4 and Xbox One 2013 consoles. I'm thinking the hardware will be coming together in 2019 (internally), Sony studios will get devkits by midyear, some 3rd party devs will get kits late 2019. The PS5 announment will happen in early 2020, then E3 blowout and launch in late October or early November 2020.

Vega 56 HBM2 8GB cost:

YkDyEJW.png

The equivalent GDDR5 amount costs $68 ($52 before the +30% price hike).

I wonder how much cheaper can LCHBM/HBM3 be...

Theonik

Vega 56 HBM2 8GB cost:

YkDyEJW.png

They aren't much cheaper. That's why a lot of pundits are going with GDDR6 basically killing it dead before it really hits its stride. Took too long to get any traction to be relevant.

jett

D-Member
Vega 56 HBM2 8GB cost:

YkDyEJW.png

Speaking of RAM memory, I wonder how much would a PS5 have. The PS4 had a 16X increase from the PS3 (512MB to 8GB), similar bump from PS2 to PS3. I definitely don't see the PS5 getting 128GB of RAM. :p The power differences of the past seem kind of ridiculous in retrospect.

Slayven

Speaking of RAM memory, I wonder how much would a PS5 have. The PS4 had a 16X increase from the PS3 (512MB to 8GB), similar bump from PS2 to PS3. I definitely don't see the PS5 getting 128GB of RAM. :p The power differences of the past seem kind of ridiculous in retrospect.

Power increases, but not all that much in game increase. Sure shit looks prettier, and you have a lot more going on screen. But the jumps from SNES>PS1>ps2 was amazing.

32GB GDDR6 is likely, IMHO.

HeatBoost

My prediction

The PS5 will cost 300-400 bucks (barring any major economic shifts between now and 2019)

And you'll get about as much technology as they can manage for that price point

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
This is absolutely true.

Even if PS5 GPU is a rather "modest" 12 TFLOPs (roughly twice the raw performance of XB1X GPU) the move to a Zen+ / Zen 2 CPU (and ~3 GHz clockspeed) will constitute a generational leap in how games are made, what they can be in terms of gameplay, in terms of physics / AI / world simulation, animation etc. Then you factor in that PS5 will be built from the ground up to fully use all the hardware including the CPU, GPU, RAM, storage and whatever controller is designed for PS5, it will be a sea change from the current base PS4 and Xbox One 2013 consoles. I'm thinking the hardware will be coming together in 2019 (internally), Sony studios will get devkits by midyear, some 3rd party devs will get kits late 2019. The PS5 announment will happen in early 2020, then E3 blowout and launch in late October or early November 2020.

This is also what I believe will happen. 2020 is as early as I expect Sony to release their own console, no point in releasing earlier since you probably have a power target to hit, PS4 hasn't reached mass market pricing yet so still tons of sales left, and that will give their developers enough time to have a few AAA titles available for launch.

LeleSocho

Banned
They aren't much cheaper. That's why a lot of pundits are going with GDDR6 basically killing it dead before it really hits its stride. Took too long to get any traction to be relevant.

I really don't see next gen consoles not using HBM, it's true that it costs more but the price is subject to drop and with GDDR6 you simply don't get the performance per area per watt that HBM offers and these are all things extremely important for a console.

Welp Vega sucks, so what now?

Double down on CPU power. Zen is already very strong, now they have the unique chance to make the next generation all about CPU, so that every game runs at 60fps on PS5.

A moderately sized Vega GPU (10+ TFLOPS) will still offer a nice jump in graphics, but mandatory 60fps with 4K checkerboarding would be a true game changer. And they can still release a PS5 Pro with a much better GPU 3 years later. The existence of "Pro" versions means that CPU becomes much more important for a new generation.

Theonik

I really don't see next gen consoles not using HBM, it's true that it costs more but the price is subject to drop and with GDDR6 you simply don't get the performance per area per watt that HBM offers and these are all things extremely important for a console.
None of these claims are true. In fact one of the main disadvantages of HBM memory is the power density and having to share the power budget with the GPU. These aren't really problems with GDDR6 because memory is external. HBM3 is DOA.

The PS4 is already "behind" previous gens in terms of increase because there was an 8 year generation, rather than 5-6. Although strictly speaking the PS3 was only 7 years prior to the PS4, it was a year late to market and the 360 launched with 512mb the year before. 2005->2013 (360->PS4/XBO) saw a 16x increase, while 2000->2005 also saw a 16x increase (PS2->360). The decline already set in big time with the XBO and PS4, it came in the form of being "as good" as previous generational leaps in GPU power and RAM size, but taking 50% longer than previous generations to happen, and while delivering a massively underwhelming CPU.

32GB would be adequate for realistic asset sizes. More is always better but there are big question marks regarding cost vs benefits of going higher in a 2019 timeframe. I would argue that people would be comfortable living with even an extremely modest 24gb, considering how good texture detail and world size has been this generation on a measly 8gb.

DieH@rd

Banned

GDDR6 spec was announced and will be out in the wild before 2019. 2GB chip models will be supported [down the line even 4GB per chip!].

I expect 16x2GB chips in PS5.

oneils

Haven't read the whole thread, but pachter uses framreates as proxies for other metrics that his clients won't understand. He's done it in the past. When he says "240fps" he's telling clients what he thinks how powerful the console will need to be to be competitive and so it will be x times the hz, tflops, mb/s or whatever.

And when he makes these "predictions" it's not based on insider knowledge or what even may be technically possible. He's speculating on what he thinks Sony will need to do to stay competitive.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
After playing uncharted LL. Im content with ps4 pro level graphics.

I would like to see a focus on physics rather than graphics next gen.

I can see them doing 16 with a dedicated pool for the os, like they are doing now with the pro. 32gb will be expensive, also in 2020. It would mean more than three times the amount they have now.
8GB GDDR5 -> 32GB GDDR6 (4x jump) should be reasonable in 2020 if we take into account the die shrinks. 16 chips x 2GB isn't that far-fetched.

Welp Vega sucks, so what now?
Navi with MCM dies most likely.

After playing uncharted LL. Im content with ps4 pro level graphics.

I would like to see a focus on physics rather than graphics next gen.
Uncharted 4/LL already employ GPU-accelerated physics. This trend ain't gonna change with Ryzen.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Pachter is of course wrong, but raw specs aside, the truth to me is that even the PS4 and the XBox One were half-steps over the preceding gen. Yes, the specs are there, but the jump in visual refinement and complexity between the PS3 and the PS4 was much less perceptible to the average consumer than the jump between PS2 and PS3 or PS1 and PS2 (and Switch vs. Wii U is a quasi-standstill). It's simple diminishing returns, really.

I fully expect the jump from PS4 to PS5 to be even less impressive in practice, even if the specs are impressive on paper.

Next consoles need to focus on RAM and CPU to benefit open-world games. Graphics already look good enough for me, and the current consoles skimped on the CPU; next consoles cannot repeat that mistake.

Rolf NB

8GB GDDR5 -> 32GB GDDR6 (4x jump) should be reasonable in 2020 if we take into account the die shrinks. 16 chips x 2GB isn't that far-fetched.
DRAM pricing has been virtually constant since PS4 / Xbox One launched.
Samsung and Micron fab DRAM on their respective 20nm nodes since 2015. No idea about Hynix.

Pachter is of course wrong, but raw specs aside, the truth to me is that even the PS4 and the XBox One were half-steps over the preceding gen. Yes, the specs are there, but the jump in visual refinement and complexity between the PS3 and the PS4 was much less perceptible to the average consumer than the jump between PS2 and PS3 or PS1 and PS2 (and Switch vs. Wii U is a quasi-standstill). It's simple diminishing returns, really.

I fully expect the jump from PS4 to PS5 to be even less impressive in practice, even if the specs are impressive on paper.
In the past we had huge jumps because the newer consoles also brought new -revolutionary- tech.

For example, PS1 didn't have an FPU and it had to render polygons with integers (which caused shimmering). PS2 brought FP support and fixed this. Huge quality jump. Most people don't know what caused shimmering in PS1 games, they just know it was annoying.

PS3 brought pixel shader support, which allowed us to have photorealism and games like Uncharted, TLOU, Heavy Rain etc.

Shader progress has stagnated for the most part. It's mostly about refinement/optimization these days (i.e. primitive shaders) and throwing more ALUs whenever die shrinks permit it.

DRAM pricing has been virtually constant since PS4 / Xbox One launched.
Are you sure about that?

PS4 GDDR5 cost $88 in 2013: http://news.ihsmarkit.com/sites/ihs...minary_Xbox_One_Cost_Est_By_Subsystem_USD.PNG

Now it's only 8 chips (both on Slim/Pro and some OG models), so it's definitely cheaper. MS clearly made the wrong bet with DDR3 (no clamshell mode), since they're still stuck with 16 chips for the Slim variant (X will have 12 GDDR5 chips).

Unfortunately most of the DRAM production goes to mobile devices and this causes price fluctuations...

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
In the past we had huge jumps because the newer consoles also brought new -revolutionary- tech.

For example, PS1 didn't have an FPU and it had to render polygons with integers (which caused shimmering). PS2 brought FP support and fixed this. Huge quality jump. Most people don't know what caused shimmering in PS1 games, they just know it was annoying.

PS3 brought pixel shader support, which allowed us to have photorealism and games like Uncharted, TLOU, Heavy Rain etc.

Shader progress has stagnated for the most part. It's mostly about refinement/optimization these days (i.e. primitive shaders) and throwing more ALUs whenever die shrinks permit it.

Very interesting, thank you for the input.

I still think there's also the matter of diminishing returns though. Just like the jump from 8-bit color depth to 32-bit is overall less perceptible and impressive than the jump from 4-bit to 8-bit, so is the jump from (pulling numbers out of my ass here) 10 million polygons to 100 million than the jump from 1 million to 10 million. In the eye of the beholder, the difference between "good" and "great" will always be lesser than that between "average" and "good". There's point where more detail and more refinement is harder to see or care about.

What is most important is that everything made for PS4 and PS4 Pro will work on whatever comes next.

All your shit. all your DLC. all your content. all your settings, profile, users- Shit needs to work seamlessly on the new device.
When you buy a new tablet or phone or any other piece of electronic, you're old stuff doesn't stop working. At least it shouldn't.
It's about protecting the consumers values. So if you come late into the game, and haven't bought a PS4 yet, (as millions of people havent) until it hits a sub 100 dollars pricetag, your games will work on the new device, and they will still be playable.

Wordstar

Neo Member
So Xbox One X costs 499€ without a profit in 2017 at 6TF performance.
That means that 2018 would be able to deliver the same 6TF performance at 399€

Wich leads me to the conclusion that PS5 would either have 8TF for 499€ in 2019
or 8TF for 399€ in 2020.

This theory of mine is based on performance increases wich happen per year. PS4 Pro at 4TF in 2016 at 399€. Went up 2TF 2017 for 100€ increase. This means that at the speed increases per cost that are going on at the moment a 2tf increase is made with 100 dollar budget per year. Or with 100$ Price Cut every 2 years.

With new 7nm+ manufacturing maybe 10 TF would be possible at 399€ in 2020...Or 12TF at 499€.

GPU speed increases are coming in just way to slow in the graphics card department at the moment. And that especially if considering that we are talking about low budget or midrange department.

The Performance of PS5 will depend on the year of release ranging from 8TF 2019 to 12 TF 2021... And the fact if Budget will be 399€ or 499€

So the earlier Sony wants it on the market it will either be a slight upgrade Pro Plus Konsole like pachter said or a little bit more major upgrade next gen Konsole.

Guess it all depends if scorpio is taking away numbers and how soon they want back the fastest konsole in the world crown.

c0de

PS4 only has 4.5 free, that's why I said for is dedicated and that's why a dedicated pool for os makes more sense to achieve almost the same multiplier with less ram.

PS4 was successful because of its rather simplistic design - no gimmicks, no bullshit, just a gaming machine, worth every penny from day 1.

Thing is, I don't know if this trick is going to work again. As in "don't know", not "I don't think so". And if they rely on a sheer power upgrade, how much faster does it have to be to make games which are simply not possible on an XB1/PS4? Is such a system even possible in 2020, let alone 2019? For less than $500 of course.

Amerzel

Neo Member
So Xbox One X costs 499€ without a profit in 2017 at 6TF performance.
That means that 2018 would be able to deliver the same 6TF performance at 399€

Wich leads me to the conclusion that PS5 would either have 8TF for 499€ in 2019
or 8TF for 399€ in 2020.

This theory of mine is based on performance increases wich happen per year. PS4 Pro at 4TF in 2016 at 399€. Went up 2TF 2017 for 100€ increase. This means that at the speed increases per cost that are going on at the moment a 2tf increase is made with 100 dollar budget per year. Or with 100$ Price Cut every 2 years.

With new 7nm+ manufacturing maybe 10 TF would be possible at 399€ in 2020...Or 12TF at 499€.

GPU speed increases are coming in just way to slow in the graphics card department at the moment. And that especially if considering that we are talking about low budget or midrange department.

The Performance of PS5 will depend on the year of release ranging from 8TF 2019 to 12 TF 2021... And the fact if Budget will be 399€ or 499€

So the earlier Sony wants it on the market it will either be a slight upgrade Pro Plus Konsole like pachter said or a little bit more major upgrade next gen Konsole.

Guess it all depends if scorpio is taking away numbers and how soon they want back the fastest konsole in the world crown.

I agree with you. I think people expecting a cutting edge console are going to be disappointed. My guess is 10TF and 16+4GB RAM in 2020 for $499. A decent upgrade but nothing amazing. Targeting 4K and higher fidelity VR.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
I have a hard time understanding how people could expect 32GB of RAM in a machine by 2020, let alone why such a high amount of memory would be needed for games by 2020, and how much it would cost to include that much in a console.

I could see 16GB maximum, should be plenty for their OS + games at 4k.

Don't know if this was posted here

GloFo 14nm vs 7nm:

oajvimprrw3z.png

3Ghz vs 5Ghz operation

In contrast to 14nm (LPP = Low Power Plus) the 7nm process will be LP=Leading Performance.

this will at least bode well for the next Ryzen Processors
i fucking hate to have my R5 1600 running at 3.7GHz to get some acceptable low voltages.
I want my 4.5 - 5 GHz CPU

but still, Console SOCs won't come close to that...

Rolf NB

I have a hard time understanding how people could expect 32GB of RAM in a machine by 2020, let alone why such a high amount of memory would be needed for games by 2020, and how much it would cost to include that much in a console.

Same. 16GB it is.
Potentially plus some 2GB slow-ass side-band memory for app suspension, ala Pro. But I'm 50:50 on that.

Wordstar

Neo Member
I agree with you. I think people expecting a cutting edge console are going to be disappointed. My guess is 10TF and 16+4GB RAM in 2020 for $499. A decent upgrade but nothing amazing. Targeting 4K and higher fidelity VR.

The only problem is that sony seem to stick to the 399€ rule they made themself after the Mega succsesfull PS4 Launch. They said so many times that they aim to hit the Price sweet spot wich seems to be doing well for them with over 60 million units sold.

So my guess is going with Pachter for 8TF and 399€. Going for that Native 4K @ 30fps.
In no way will we see more than 16gb of Ram for that price.
And im also going as far as saying that once again there will be a Jaguar Upgrade to allow for Backwards compatibility once again since 30fps is the Target.
With clocks this time achieving 2,6 to 2,8 ghz where xbox one x is 2,3ghz. In no way will we see a Native 4k 60 fps Konsole.
People are nuts thinking 399 will get them anyway near that amount of power.

They will be aiming to keep the Market by Launching at 399€ and once again hit that 60 Million mark as fast as they are able to.

Consider this ...
PS4 hardware kosts were 380$....
See here: https://www.engadget.com/2013/11/19/ps4-costs-381-to-make-according-to-hardware-teardown/
With the 2TF APU costing 100$.

Now you can start calculating what the parts of the next kosole will be and even at 8TF i find it hard to believe that AMD can sell an 8TF APU for 100$ to Sony in 2019

Try to do the Math your self.

So sticking with that 399 rule its either 8TF 2019 or 10TF 2020
They maybe doing internal tests as to what speed a GPU they need to hit Native 4k 100% of the time for every title and then go with that one.
They dont want another dynamic 4k launch.

McHuj

Ah yes, PS4 won't have more than 2GB either. How could possibly anyone need more?

Clessidor

PS4 was successful because of its rather simplistic design - no gimmicks, no bullshit, just a gaming machine, worth every penny from day 1.

Thing is, I don't know if this trick is going to work again. As in "don't know", not "I don't think so". And if they rely on a sheer power upgrade, how much faster does it have to be to make games which are simply not possible on an XB1/PS4? Is such a system even possible in 2020, let alone 2019? For less than $500 of course.

In my opinion the PS4-success was also driven by the fact, that people seemed to be kinda fatigued by PS3/X360 and basicly desired a new gen. That fatigue at least was one of the reasons why people were disappointed by the Wii U.

With PS5 it could really be that they might can gain momentum by announcing the "Next-Gen". We should keep in mind that Pro lacked that enthusiasm because it was clearly communicated as a new PS4 model with 4k graphics. I think Next-Gen as a term still means a lot.

Top Bottom