• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter: Wii U a "mistake Nintendo may never recover from"

While I think it's way too early to call, this console has the ability to really hurt nintendo

I agree but "never recover from"... he's just stupid. I don't think they don't make profit with the Wii U and apr-dec 2012 results were positive so how can a company go bankrupt when they make profits?

Stark said:
Things change?
Of course they do but the purpose of an analyst is to find what has the most chances to happen or at least understand what had and will happen and why.

I can say random things and they may eventually happen... one day.

Apple profits will go really really down !

That's true, I have 6 3DS games, and have paid no more then $20 for any of them (except KH which I paid $30), all of them being Nintendo titles

for the DS, I don't remember Nintendo title ever going on sale, even years after release With the 3DS it's not quite common

I don't know how you got Paper Mario for $20 but that is not indicative of software sales at all. The game is the best selling Paper Mario game to date.

Alcibiades

The wii U just needs some of that secret sauce and it will be just fine.

13612156190763yerf.gif

WTF is that real or did someone put Iwata's head on there?

Yep, some people will read doom-and-gloom into anything. I read it the way you did. He's basically saying that whatever chance they had to catch lightning in a bottle again is dead and gone.

That isn't a given either. Nobody predicted Nintendo rebounding from the GC like they did.

BobLoblaw

Banned
This was the same idiot that claimed the Wii U would have sold over 100,000 consoles in January. Seriously, we need a "Shit That Pachter's Said" thread to consolidate all of the random shit he says. It would really streamline this board and consolidate the hate more efficiently.

bbdude

Initial sales are garbage, yes, but when PS4 and 720 come out Wii U will have a much more established software base, new Mario games, etc.

I don't know... I think we haven't seen all of Nintendo's cards yet

I am really sick of people bashing Pachter every chance they get. They say they don't care what Pachter says but clearly they do or they wouldn't be posting in threads like this.
He's either a dishonest troll or a criminal market manipulator along the lines of Jim Cramer. He deserves all the bashing he gets.

kirblar

sales are going to be very bad till that next Mario game launches. Luckily I only paid $285 for my Wii U deluxe, which softens the blow of buying it day1
The problem is that devlopers and publishers are starting to ratchet back development because they believe they will be losing money producing games for the console. (See: the Rayman situation.) PS4/720 titles are also not going to be simple ports because of the massive tech discrepancies. This is very, very bad.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
The sad thing is, his vendetta against Nintendo generates tons of negative headlines in the press. And Nintendo has to succeed despite this adversity.

The fact this guy is a troll magnet is nothing compared to how he is hurting Nintendo's image by himself.

Initial sales are garbage, yes, but when PS4 and 720 come out Wii U will have a much more established software base, new Mario games, etc.

Of course we haven't, they haven't shown 3D Mario, Mario Kart U or Retro's game.

The question is whether their hand is a full house or a pair.

Amneisac

The sad thing is, his vendetta against Nintendo generates tons of negative headlines in the press. And Nintendo has to succeed despite this adversity.

The fact this guy is a troll magnet is nothing compared to how he is hurting Nintendo's image by himself.

Very few people outside of the NeoGAF crowd and other dedicated gaming sites have ever heard of him. He's not doing anything to Nintendo.

What are Nintendo's cards? A mario game? Zedla game? Metroid game? SSB game?....

and all those games are already confirmed to be in development and no one cares because the current lineup, and for the next 6-8 months, is horrible. Everyone knows what they're getting out of a Nintendo console. Unlike the Wii, casuals don't give a shit this time around.

Vinci

Danish
The problem is that devlopers and publishers are starting to ratchet back development because they believe they will be losing money producing games for the console. (See: the Rayman situation.) PS4/720 titles are also not going to be simple ports because of the massive tech discrepancies. This is very, very bad.

You mean 'ratchet back the scant development'. People really need to give up this 3rd party dream once and for all. It ain't happening, not unless one of the other two drops out of the race. Besides, 3rd parties mean very little for Nintendo consoles' adoption, though the licensing fees are nice. Right now, the problem is adoption - and that's something only Nintendo can fix.

I don't think you need Pachter quotes to hurt Nintendo's viability in the market. I think actual sales data is doing that just fine right now. "57,000 Wii U's sold in January" is far more devastating a blow to Nintendo right now than anything Pachter can say in a sound bite.

The thing with Pachter is that he always talks in extremes. If he said "Wii U to sell significantly less than the Wii, but will do OK in the long term." It wouldn't get any attention - it just wouldn't be "news". In Pachter's world everything has to be either a huge success or a total disaster.

I'm sure he doesn't believe half the stuff he says himself.

This was the same idiot that claimed the Wii U would have sold over 100,000 consoles in January. Seriously, we need a "Shit That Pachter's Said" thread to consolidate all of the random shit he says. It would really streamline this board and consolidate the hate more efficiently.
That prediction wasn't too unreasonable. Pretty much no-one expected the Wii U to perform as badly as it did this month.

At its current price and level of third party support I don't see how the WiiU can ever be successful.

It costs too much for the casual audience and does not have enough game support for the core audience.

Very few people outside of the NeoGAF crowd and other dedicated gaming sites have ever heard of him. He's not doing anything to Nintendo.

I don't know. I just really hope for Nintendo some devs or editors don't make at least one tenth of their decisions based on his opinion.
I don't think so but still... did you see some financial analyst and the decisions some people may take based on their recommandations :eek:

And that number was supposed to represent a low, bad figure. The fact that it came in significantly lower than that isn't really a good strike against Pacther in my mind. Not this time, at least.

This is the same man that said Sony and Nintendo are in a worse position now than 20 years ago, ignoring the fact that:

- Nintendo is way better off coming out of their most successful home console ever.
- Sony wasn't in the gaming business 20 years ago

Why oh why do we give this incompetent troll a voice?

That isn't a given either. Nobody predicted Nintendo rebounding from the GC like they did.

Nothing's a given, but it's pretty much a given that the Wii U will never have the hot-start and hype that the Wii had. If it is ever going to achieve that status, it's going to be because of a peripheral or game, not the console itself.

The sad part is I think you're serious.

gaming_noob

Iwata and crew are so much involved with this system post launch than any other executive from the other two. It's sad to see them trying so hard but failing.

hymanator

I'm not interested in buying the Wii-U for similar reasons. When the original Wii came out, I was intrigued at the idea of "motion gaming" and being able to test drive the Wii remote. Bowling ended up being really fun on the Wii. Even though the system didn't showcase fancy graphics, the controller was able to capture everyone's imagination.

Now look at the Wii-U. It basically has PS3/360 graphics, which will make it the underdog when Sony and Microsoft release their consoles. Nintendo is still very amateurish at providing a quality online experience, and they have very questionable policies with digital purchases. Their tablet/controller hybrid doesn't come across as anything that makes me want to scream "WOW! I GOT TO TRY THAT!"

The Wii ended up being a huge dust collector for me because the waggle novelty wore off quickly, the online features stunk, and the library couldn't compete with what PS3/360 had. Many 3rd party publishers avoided putting their AAA titles on the Wii, and now they have the same attitude towards the Wii-U.

Wii-U still has a chance to succeed, but I think they will need to offer a "must have" piece of hardware for it that isn't a tablet controller. Imagine if Nintendo formed a deal with Oculus Rift for example. I would run out and buy a Wii-U today if they announced something major like that.

System launches are supposed to be exciting. There should be something on offer that is so good it is hard to describe. That's what originally made me want to try out the Wii Remote, because people kept describing how good it "felt" to bowl with the controller. I can easily imagine gaming on a tablet controller, just as I can imagine gaming on graphics hardware that looks identical to consoles I already own. The only appealing thing Nintendo has to offer is their first party games, but when they tend to focus only on "cute" games and avoid making "cool" games like F-Zero and Metroid, it leaves me with no reason at all to even look at the Wii-U.

Nothing's a given, but it's pretty much a given that the Wii U will never have the hot-start and hype that the Wii had. If it is ever going to achieve that status, it's going to be because of a peripheral or game, not the console itself.

I guess we're reading "never" differently then. I read it as literally never, not just "never until they release the next console". That the Wii U has very little chances of becoming a Wii-like success is pretty obvious.

kirblar

You mean 'ratchet back the scant development'. People really need to give up this 3rd party dream once and for all. It ain't happening, not unless one of the other two drops out of the race. Besides, 3rd parties mean very little for Nintendo consoles' adoption, though the licensing fees are nice. Right now, the problem is adoption - and that's something only Nintendo can fix.
That lack of licensing revenue's a huge deal. If they're putting out a system that only exists to play first-party games, that's where the road to Sega-hood begins. I love Nintendo, but they have made decisions with this hardware cycle that have put them into an incredibly precarious position moving forward.

Sooooo, just like every system then? :p

The appeal of the Wii was the gimmick. Wii Sports made great use of the gimmick. Wii Sports without the waggle isn't selling anything. So all I'm saying now is that without the appeal of the gamepad to rely on, they're going to need something else to drive the hype. I don't think they were expecting that to be the case. I think they thought the gamepad idea alone would help them print money.

jstripes

Banned
To clarify what I mean by "selling", something kickstarting sales extending beyond the loyal gamer base, historic examples:

Super Mario Bros. sold the NES. It was truly groundbreaking, and brought console gaming back from the dead.

Tetris sold the GameBoy. It appealed to adults and non-gamers (the first real crossover success), and started the puzzle craze.

"Mode 7" sold the SNES. It was stunning to see in action at the time.

Mario 64 sold the N64. There was nothing else like it.

Pokemon kickstarted the GameBoy into a miraculous second life, and steadily sold it and succeeding systems (GBC, GBA) with new releases.

Nothing sold the GameCube. It had a reliable fanbase, but never took off.

Brain Age sold the DS. "Brain Training" became a crossover fad, parents (who bought it) playing while their kids were at school. (It also resulted in "casual" shovelware piling up on the shelves.)

Wii Sports and Wii Fit sold the Wii. This doesn't need going into.

3DS' success is growing, but still ambiguous. It's nothing spectacular. 3D was supposed to sell it, but didn't.

Wii U has nothing that captures the imagination, YET. It's still early.

After seeing the entire section dedicated to Skylanders figurines in Walmart, I am beginning to understand Iwata's bold prediction for a complete turnaround. If Skylanders is that huge, imagine how much Nintendo stand to make with X/Y + figurines + some type of Pokemon Battle Stadium game on Wii U.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

Nintendo isn't even copping remotely the fucking hivemind internet hategasm that Sony experienced from "$599" onwards. So any "poor Nintendo..." sentiments should be met with Iwata and co bringing the fucking noise like Sony did to drag the PS3 out of that era and into the turnaround it enjoys today and the buzz theyve got going into the 20th.

Pachter is right (gasp) that the WiiU is a mistake the Nintendo home console business won't recover from, hence the almost inevitable hybrid HD device that will follow the 3DS.

Tobor

Are you kidding? 100K was a great prediction. Who was closer?

Diablos54

The appeal of the Wii was the gimmick. Wii Sports made great use of the gimmick. Wii Sports without the waggle isn't selling anything.
Maybe so, but waggle without Wii Sports wouldn't have had the impact it did either. It goes both ways I guess, a good combination of exciting hardware and software is vital. One or the other isn't enough.

shandy706

Pachter is an idiot. Does he get paid to simply spill things he reads on the Internet or whatever randomly pops into his head??

Top Bottom