• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PacMan Revealed for Smash. Bros

Sciz

Fuck yeah, PAC-MAN

He was the obvious shoe-in as a Namco rep, and it's great to see Sakurai going for his classic design instead of the modernized one. Even cooler seeing him throw around other Namco references and switching to sprite form on the fly.

Snake. Ryu Ninja Gaiden. Bonk. Bomberman. Bubble Bobble dragons.
Bonk3Inline_1193256952.jpg

:) I still own Bonk's Adventure on Turbo Grafx 16.

Dryk

IIRC, the third leak from Sal didn't say the team wants Lucas to be DLC. It just said they're considering DLC, and separate from that, there is internal debate about cutting Lucas. But yes, from that one can infer Lucas would be a possible DLC candidate, if cut. I'm sure any and all cut characters could possibly come back as DLC. Could be lucrative if they charged for them...
If they're running out of time and need to cut characters again, selling them to us later is better than not having them at all. Do it you fools.

They might have been worried that the Invitational would turn into a disaster, or that the crowd reaction would be resoundingly negative. Basically they played it safe and lost out on a big opportunity.

I can't imagine the crowd's reaction being negative to a newcomer, especially one as iconic as Pac-Man.
:p

Javier

Fantastic trailer. Sakurai absolutely NAILED Pac-Man. This was seriously the best possible scenario on how he could be included.

Neiteio

Fantastic trailer. Sakurai absolutely NAILED Pac-Man. This was seriously the best possible scenario on how he could be included.
If Sakurai leaves Nintendo (again), he should open up a business as a consultant that helps realize the true potential of videogame mascots

Neiteio

The four most iconic legacy gaming mascots all together in one game.

Glorious. Absolutely glorious.
YES! It's like a Mount Rushmore of Gaming. And if you put Pac-Man with Little Mac, DK and Mario, you have a Mount Rushmore of the Arcade. :)

When are you GameXplain people updating with more discussions? Don't tell me you're sleeping. Sleep is for the weak!

Crocodile

I can't imagine the crowd's reaction being negative to a newcomer, especially one as iconic as Pac-Man.
:p

I think it was more the Invitational is an environment they had less control over. You don't want to put the trailer on the big screen then have somebody like rush the stage and start streaking or something LOL

I knew from the moment I heard Namco was working on this that Pac-Man should be in it.

I was thinking, who is missing from the Sonic, Mega Man, Mario, and Pac-Man pic? What other classic icon should be in Smash? Simon Belmont? I think Simon would be the best choice.

And boy are there an assload of retro references I don't get:
I didn't understand it either until EmmCeeGrammr saved the day. It's a fairy home where Pac-man gets a powerup from Pac-land, a side scrolling arcade game from the 80's. Pac-man had a ton of spinoffs.

Zalman

The Smash Bros. series is a celebration of video game history. That's why I think Pac-Man is such a perfect fit in this game.

I am so happy they went with the classic look. We've discussed the different Pac-Man designs to death, and it's great to see they made the right move.

Espada

Wow, Sakurai nailed it with Pac-Man. Talk about a well done homage to the character (and many early Namco titles). That one image with Sonic, Megaman, Mario, and Pac-Man? I remember dreaming about crazy team ups like that.

I don't like how Nintendo have handled his reveal. They had a great opportunity at the Invitational to unveil him. That said, he looks awesome.

Neiteio

I didn't understand it either until EmmCeeGrammr saved the day. It's a fairy home where Pac-man gets a powerup from Pac-land, a side scrolling arcade game from the 80's. Pac-man had a ton of spinoffs.
I think it was Shocking Alberto who identified where it's from, in response to Emcee's question. I was curious myself. I knew Pac-Land by name but I haven't seen it in action.

Neiteio

Anyone have a link to Nintendo's version of the Mii Fighters trailer? I'm having some difficulty finding it under their video listings on YouTube.

Javier

Best moment of the trailer.

fceyVw4.gif

I love how Pac-Man (in Super form) is just about to catch Sonic as the screen cuts off. Just like in the original intermissions in the classic games.

Best moment of the trailer.

fceyVw4.gif

I love how Pac-Man (in Super form) is just about to catch Sonic as the screen cuts off. Just like in the original intermissions in the classic games.
It looks like it overlaps sonic by the end. Gotta work on that collision detection.

RM8

I wonder how they'll color him for his alternate colors. Most likely only his boots and gloves, like with Sonic.

kunonabi

I knew from the moment I heard Namco was working on this that Pac-Man should be in it.

I was thinking, who is missing from the Sonic, Mega Man, Mario, and Pac-Man pic? What other classic icon should be in Smash? Simon Belmont? I think Simon would be the best choice.

yeah Simon is the last big one.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Mickey Mouse is pushing it. Sora would be a better fit.
That's the thing, though, Pac-Man is among those icons that are recognised by people outside of the intended medium he debuted on. Mickey Mouse is the only other mascot that ever reached that ubiquity. He's not saying Mickey Mouse would ever make it in.

Top Bottom