• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 13, 2014

Majmun

YAAAAASSSSS got one. FINALLY!!!!!

They still had four left.

And I didn't run anyone over on my way to the store!! I'm so happy

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Huh Infamous seems to be doing okay. Less than 60% second week drop seems good

Titanfall holding well but not clear how much of that is the bundle effect

MGS also seems to be doing well for what it is

Intrigued by the ramifications to install base all this might have but it's clear that the numbers are anything but clear

Less than 60% drop for infamous?

jcm

Good game but not a system seller like some guessed here... I guess the price cut did more alone than TF itself.

How is this not a system seller?

“Titanfall also gives a colossal boost to Xbox One hardware sales with a huge jump of over 96 percent [week over week] thanks largely to the new Titanfall bundle, [which includes] a download token of the game, accounting for over 70 percent of all Xbox One hardware sold this week,” reads a GfK statement.

Skeff

“Titanfall also gives a colossal boost to Xbox One hardware sales with a huge jump of over 96 percent [week over week] thanks largely to the new Titanfall bundle, [which includes] a download token of the game, accounting for over 70 percent of all Xbox One hardware sold this week,” reads a GfK statement.

Though a 96% boost WoW is highly relative to the sales of the console the week before, we can't really say much without the raw numbers and the numbers since, we also can't really account for the official price drop and the unofficial price drops.

ethomaz

Banned

So price drop and deals didn't help?

If TF week 1 XB1 is ~140K then XB1 LTD in UK is around ~560K?
140k is about PC + Xbone?

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Hmm I thought this thread made 80K seem the most likely Week 1 number for ISS?

Then 1 in 9 would imply 720K for PS4 LTD in UK

If TF week 1 XB1 is ~140K then XB1 LTD in UK is around ~560K?

Are those the best estimates we have thus far?

Yeah but wotta says they are wrong.

So either that or XB1 500k and PS4 630k.

jcm

Though a 96% boost WoW is highly relative to the sales of the console the week before, we can't really say much without the raw numbers and the numbers since, we also can't really account for the official price drop and the unofficial price drops.

GfK says it's a system seller right there in my quote. "“Titanfall also gives a colossal boost to Xbox One hardware sales". Who would know better than them?

Skeff

GfK says it's a system seller right there in my quote. "“Titanfall also gives a colossal boost to Xbox One hardware sales". Who would know better than them?

That tells us that it sold some systems for a week, nothing more. System seller generally means an application that makes people want to buy the system in large numbers over an extended period of time, going by the boosting hardware sales in release week definition we could simply say titanfall boosted ps4 sales by 7?% so titanfall was a ps4 system seller, we would of course be wrong, but we could say it.

I think only thing we can say is that PS4 is still selling well and the XB1 is settling better this year than last.

We do have good estimates for TF and Infamous Week 1 sales though now. The only question really is how accurate those sales ratios are.

It would never be exactly 1 in 4 or 1 in 9

jcm

It was bundle with the console.

Not sure how that helps tell us anything,we dont have nay good data here at all.

We don't need the data to know. GfK has the data, and they told us. When a tracker says a game was s systems seller, then it's a system seller.

That tells us that it sold some systems for a week, nothing more. System seller generally means an application that makes people want to buy the system in large numbers over an extended period of time, going by the boosting hardware sales in release week definition we could simply say titanfall boosted ps4 sales by 7?% so titanfall was a ps4 system seller, we would of course be wrong, but we could say it.

That's a really strange definition of system seller. What extended period of time are you talking about? Was MGS4 not a system seller in June 2008 when it bumped sales for a single NPD reporting period?

Honestly, you guys are being ridiculous here.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
That's a really strange definition of system seller. What extended period of time are you talking about? Was MGS4 not a system seller in June 2008 when it bumped sales for a single NPD reporting period?
I don't think MGS4 was a system seller. But I also don't believe in the concept other than GTA after the console sales have been stabilized and then they jump outside the regular holiday months.

Also I think it's relatively ridiculous to use an argument from authority. Don't question anything, accept what one person in the media department of some company said!

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
We do have good estimates for TF and Infamous Week 1 sales though now. The only question really is how accurate those sales ratios are.

It would never be exactly 1 in 4 or 1 in 9

For games we should be accurate but only if wotta is wrong.

If ISS is 80k week 1 then TF sold a lot better than expected as well. Also makes the claims that EA haven't said anything about sales because it isn't over 1m ludicrous.

I find it hilarious how much people talk about what is and isn't a system seller

Titanfall sold systems, Infamous sold systems. Hell I'm sure at least one person somewhere bought a PS4 or an XB1 for MGSV Paid Demo Edition.

So then people get into all this subjective talk about what a system seller actually means when it inherently has no specific definition. It's one of the sillier things we argue about on here imo.

For games we should be accurate but only if wotta is wrong.

If ISS is 80k week 1 then TF sold a lot better than expected as well. Also makes the claims that EA haven't said anything about sales because it isn't over 1m ludicrous.

Eh ISS could have always been 80K by our information

TF selling almost 2x as much in its opening week as Infamous means little in specific terms because it's not a specific enough statement

TF sold 140K first week on XB1, 150K in total. All the numbers fit and make sense. All the math works

We really don't know how many sales TF has had but I would assume it's probably over a million by now?

GfK is guessing though.

With the exact same data GfK could have said "A price cut gives a colossal boost to Xbox One hardware sales".

The facts wouldn't have changed at all. Just the assumptions and told story. Because GfK didn't personally reach out to each and every purchaser to find out why they bought what they did.

ethomaz

Banned
Guys I did my own maths and I got...

Week 1

MGS = 65000
ISS = 80000
TF = 148900

Week 2

MGS = 23400
ISS = 26400
TF = 40200

Week 3:

TF = 23300

About hardware...

80000 x 9 = ~720k PS4
(153k - 6%) x 4 = ~560k

Edit - Math for MGS numbers.

ISSw1 = MGSw1 + 15000
ISSw2 = MGSw2 + 3000
ISSw2 = 0.33ISSw1
MGSw2`= 0.36MGSw1

ISSw2 = MGSw2 + 3000
0.33ISSw1 = 0.36MGSw1 + 3000
0.33(MGSw1 + 15000) = 0.36MGSw1 + 3000
0.33MGSw1 + 4950 = 0.36MGSw1 + 3000
4950 - 3000 = 0.36MGSw1 - 0.33MGSw1
1950 = 0.03MGSw1
1950 / 0.03 = MGSw1
65000 = MGSw1

Edit - Fixed.... thanks SwiftDeath.

Skeff

We don't need the data to know. GfK has the data, and they told us. When a tracker says a game was s systems seller, then it's a system seller.

Honestly, you guys are being ridiculous here.

Using system seller as any game that sells any amount of consoles would mean that every game is a system seller, calling injustice on ps4 a system seller would be silly, but I'm sure it actually did sell some systems even if it was only 4 systems. Also to use your own example NPD is a 4/5 week period, if titanfall was to boost monthly sales by 94% or whatever the week on week growth was, then we'd start to talk about system seller material, my point wasn't that titanfall isn't a system seller, in fact it might be, but we don't have the definitive data to decide that and even if we did, we wouldn't be sure what amount of systems were sold by titanfall and what by the price cut and free game and retailer offers.

I would consider games such as gears and halo and tlou which have people people buying the systems for a sustained period of time as system sellers as there needs to be a distinction between system seller and simply a game.

Also see this:

GfK is guessing though.

With the exact same data GfK could have said "A price cut gives a colossal boost to Xbox One hardware sales".

The facts wouldn't have changed at all. Just the assumptions and told story. Because GfK didn't personally reach out to each and every purchaser to find out why they bought what they did.

Well... edited.

Hmm when I do the math my numbers fall inline with Foshy's

Strong hint given that while the numbers below follow the numbers given out by MCV and Chart-Track correctly, the end results are not correct due to initial information not being specific enough :(

Code:
ISS = Infamous Second Sun, MGS = Metal Gear Solid All Platforms 
TF = Titanfall All Platforms, W1 = Week 1, W2 = Week 2

Code:
Starting Assumptions based on [URL="https://www.chart-track.co.uk/?i=1838&s=1111"]Chart-Track statements on 03/31/14[/URL]: 

ISSW1 = (MGSW1) + 15000

ISSW2 = (MGSW2) + 3000

ISSW2 = (1-.67)(ISSW1)

MGSW2 = (1-.64)(MGSW1)

TFW3 = MGSW2 - 100

------------------------------

ISSW2 = (MGSW2) + 3000

(1-.67)(ISSW1) = (1-.64)(MGSW1) + 3000

ISSW1 = [(1-.64)(MGSW1) + 3000]/(.33)

ISSW1 = 1.0909090909MGSW1 + 9090.909090

ISSW1 = (MGSW1) + 15000

1.0909090909MGSW1 + 9090.909090 = (MGSW1) + 15000

.0909090909MGSW1 = 5909.09091

[B]MGSW1 ~= 65,000[/B]

ISSW1 = (MGSW1) + 15000

[B]ISSW1 = 80,000[/B]

ISSW2 = (.36)(MGSW1) + 3000

[B]ISSW2 = 26400[/B]

MGSW2 = (.36)(MGSW1)

[B]MGSW2 = 23400[/B]

TFW3 = MGSW2 - 100 = 23300

TFW2 = (TFW3)/(1-.42) = (23300)/(.58) = 40172

TFW1 = (TFW2)/(1-.73) = (40172)/(.27) = 148785

[B]TFW1 All Platforms = 148785[/B]

Code:
Summary of Sales per Week in UK
_________

Game | Platform | Week 1 | Week 2 | Week 3 |

Titanfall | XB1/PC | 148785 | 40172 | 23300

Infamous SS | PS4 | 80000 | 26400 | N/A

MGSV:GZ | PS4/PS3/XB1/360 | 65000 | 23400 | N/A

Code:
Install Base in UK per [URL="http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/titanfall-vs-infamous-two-next-gen-exclusives-compared/0130069"]Statements made by MCV as of 03/24/14[/URL]
_________

[URL="http://www.computerandvideogames.com/454158/titanfall-boosts-uk-xbox-one-sales-by-96/"]TFXB1W1 = (.94)TFW1[/URL] = (.94)(148785) = 139858

ISSW1 = 80000

[URL="http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/titanfall-vs-infamous-two-next-gen-exclusives-compared/0130069"]XB1 UK LTD = 4(TFXB1W1)[/URL] = 4(139858) = 559432 ~= 560K

[URL="http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/titanfall-vs-infamous-two-next-gen-exclusives-compared/0130069"]PS4 UK LTD = 9(ISSW1)[/URL] = 9(80000) = 720000 = 720K

*Note Sales Ratios above are based on approximate data.

MCV can also reveal that around one in four UK Xbox One owners purchased Titanfall. Meanwhile, around one in nine PS4 owners acquired InFamous: Second Son

ethomaz

Banned
Hmm when I do the math my numbers fall inline with Foshy's
You are right... I did something wrong but I can't find where.... I remade it.

ISSw1 = MGSw1 + 15000
ISSw2 = MGSw2 + 3000
ISSw2 = 0.33ISSw1
MGSw2 = 0.36MGSw1

ISSw2 = MGSw2 + 3000
0.33ISSw1 = 0.36MGSw1 + 3000
0.33(MGSw1 + 15000) = 0.36MGSw1 + 3000
0.33MGSw1 + 4950 = 0.36MGSw1 + 3000
4950 - 3000 = 0.36MGSw1 - 0.33MGSw1
1950 = 0.03MGSw1
1950 / 0.03 = MGSw1
65000 = MGSw1

wotta

Guys I did my own maths and I got...

Week 1

MGS = 65000
ISS = 80000
TF = 148900

Week 2

MGS = 23400
ISS = 26400
TF = 40200

Week 3:

TF = 23300

About hardware...

80000 x 9 = ~720k PS4
(153k - 6%) x 4 = ~560k

Edit - Math for MGS numbers.

Edit - Fixed.... thanks SwiftDeath.

This is my first post after my Titanfall ban, so I don't want banned again. I know software numbers for the last three weeks but I'm not allowed to disclose these, so perhaps I shouldn't say that the above figures are wrong since I'm not allowed to back that up.

I could only guess at hardware based on the software figures I know plus MCV's 4/1 - 7/1 article, so I have a rough idea using basic maths.

I think I'm allowed to say that PS4 has outsold Xbox One for the last few weeks.

Also, both the inFamous & Titanfall sales will be largely boosted by the bundles (based on retailers charts alone these are the most popular skus for both consoles).

Overall, I have to say that I feel PS4 is well ahead of XB1 ATM, although I feel the price cut has made it a more interesting battle. I see both as pretty even going forward, which means it may be a while, if at all before the XB1 catches up.

This is my first post after my Titanfall ban, so I don't want banned again. I know software numbers for the last three weeks but I'm not allowed to disclose these, so perhaps I shouldn't say that the above figures are wrong since I'm not allowed to back that up.

So then you're implying Chart Track is giving out incorrect information?

Even with a margin for errors, the amount of information given out by chart track should lead to a fairly good estimate of sales

Edit: Hmm messing with the numbers a bit does lead to drastically different results due to the power of the percentages in play

A 3500 difference between MGS and Infamous in W2 instead of a 3000 unit difference could result in ISSW1 = 63334 instead of 80000

wotta

So then you're implying Chart Track is giving out incorrect information?

Even with a margin for errors, the amount of information given out by chart track should lead to a fairly good estimate of sales

No I'm not, the figures I know are from chart track. But I'm not saying anymore about this as I cannot disclose, just thought I'd let you guys know that your figure are quite far out.

No I'm not, the figures I know are from chart track. But I'm not saying anymore about this as I cannot disclose, just thought I'd let you guys know that your figure are quite far out.

Welp always nice to know when your work is basically worthless :(

Ah well thanks anyways

PhatSaqs

Banned
Overall, I have to say that I feel PS4 is well ahead of XB1 ATM, although I feel the price cut has made it a more interesting battle. I see both as pretty even going forward, which means it may be a while, if at all before the XB1 catches up.
Any number that can potentially be wiped out in a single christmas season is not “well ahead“ IMO. PS4 isnt even "well ahead" in the US at the moment. But everyone has their own standards I guess.

wotta

Any number that can potentially be wiped out in a single christmas season is not “well ahead“ IMO. PS4 isnt even "well ahead" in the US at the moment. But everyone has their own standards I guess.

I don't think it matters any way, IMO the U.S and UK will be pretty neck and neck going forward, which is great for gamers as the competition will be intense. The only problem for MS is the rest of the world I guess.

Kysen

That isn't really the point. Sony needs to only avoid a total wipeout like the PS3 to 360 sales in the US to take this gen. Basically being even in the US/UK is a loss of market-share for MS.

Mr Moose

Same week PS4 console sales were up 70%.

Looking at the equation used to work this out I bet there's quite a big margin for rounding errors that hasn't been accounted for.

Yes, very true. The biggest problems are the 15000 and 3000 number differences given for Infamous/MGS differences as they change the W1 numbers significantly depending where they actually fall [i.e. 14500 - 15500, 2500 - 3500] and greatly affect everything else.

I assume the percentages are accurate

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Yes, very true. The biggest problems are the 15000 and 3000 number differences given for Infamous/MGS differences as they change the W1 numbers significantly depending where they actually fall [i.e. 14500 - 15500, 2500 - 3500] and greatly affect everything else.

I assume the percentages are accurate

If we knew either TF or ISS W1 figure we could work everything else out from there, is that right?

ethomaz

Banned
Nice to know... can you say at least if the maths are off for more or less?

Decimals of the percentages will matter more i think, you have to subtract one from the other which will give you a range between 2 and 4. Foshy's post has the calculation.

PhatSaqs

Banned
I don't think it matters any way, IMO the U.S and UK will be pretty neck and neck going forward, which is great for gamers as the competition will be intense. The only problem for MS is the rest of the world I guess.
Truth.

That isn't really the point. Sony needs to only avoid a total wipeout like the PS3 to 360 sales in the US to take this gen. Basically being even in the US/UK is a loss of market-share for MS.
That isnt who's point? MS losing marketshare isnt really up for discussion IMO. Done deal.

Top Bottom