• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 13, 2014

beast786

For a product that is winning in market share, it seems generous to give huge precut cut and discounts 4 months after launch.

spwolf

What do you mean? Someone said MS losing marketshare is a done deal. I disagreed, when did I adjust the goal posts?

Marketshare with Wii included is irrelevant completely... PS3 vs 360, PS4 vs XB1 is relevant market share to consider.

And yeah, it is unlikely that MS will get close to their 360 market share.

madp0k

I think a lot of that marketshare is not up for grabs. It's gone.

fair point fella, if we say there is 50/50 starting point from last gen from MS and Sony then, MS won't gain any market share and likely lose quite abit (maybe 15%), which I will be suprised if they can spin that into a win.

ethomaz

Banned
If the gen lasted the same amount of time as this one, no they wouldn't.
Hypothetical...

PS4: 150m
XBO: 90m
WIIU: 40m

MS will be happy? I'm sure not like they are not happy right now... they always believed (and publishers too) that they will dominate this gen.

BTW MS is losing a lot of market share to Sony right now.

Hypothetical...

MS will be happy? I'm sure not like they are not happy right now... they always believed (and publishers too) that they will dominate this gen.

I think MS would be perfectly happy with 90M XB1's sold. They were willing to release their console at a $100 premium after watching Sony, winner of the previous two generations, implode with the PS3 mostly due to its price.

Honestly I think MS would be happy with 60M consoles sold simply due to their desire/ability to sell subscriptions and extra services with the console

Hypothetical...

uh, yes?
not that either PS4 or Wii U (or Xbox One itself) will hit those numbers

I'd think MS care more about Live Gold subscribers more than anything. If that number decreases from what it was at the height of the 360's numbers, it's just bad. Nobody cares as much about unit sales beating another company's unit sales as... enthusiasts.

I'd think MS care more about Live Gold subscribers more than anything. If that number decreases from what it was at the height of the 360's numbers, it's just bad. Nobody cares as much about unit sales beating another company's unit sales as... enthusiasts.

I am curious what effect Sony charging for MP now will have on MS's much-loved Gold subscriptions

I think it will curb multiple console ownership and even for that small demographic that buy both, I think it will be a significantly smaller portion that are willing to pay for both subs. Those individuals would be the most likely to be well informed individuals and would likely choose PS+ over Gold due to PS+'s offerings

I don't think MS will be unhappy with their install base at the end of this gen but I do think they'll be disappointed by the number of Gold subscriptions personally

Raist

Banned
Most scandinavian charts up (Norway missing).

ISS holding reasonably well I guess, but it dropped to 3rd-4th place due to the Diablo III avalanche. MGS dropped like a rock.

http://www.gfkhitlist.com/game.aspx

Been keeping an eye on Amazon UK every now and then. The ACIV and ISS bundles from 3rd party retailers keep selling with ridiculous mark ups (the ones available now are £430 while Amazon's price was £385 IIRC). It's particularly weird since it keeps happening despite the fact that the standalone PS4 is available at <£350 and has been for a few days.
I dunno, maybe people really want these PS4 boxes with AC/ISS arts or something.

Guymelef

I don't find ISS falling behind Diablo 3 all that worrying yet

Scandinavians are strong into PC as is Germany from what I've heard so not surprising albeit those are physical releases of a PC title but still

MGSGZ seems to be dropping fast though

German charts seem to be up on mediabiz.de. Sub is required, so the only info available is that Diablo III RoS kicked ISS out of the first place (which is now #2).

http://www.mediabiz.de/games/news/charts-reaper-of-souls-stuermt-nach-vorn/345594

Also, just noticed that Amazon UK now has a PS4 & PSV bundle up for preorder for £499.
When did that happen?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BE4HOIM/

accepted for germany

next week uk will be interesting.
i expect titanfall to take over the lead over infamous

second to third week percentage drop is normally bigger than third to fourth
also most of the ps4 sold in uk are normal units and no more ifss bundles, while most of xbox one units are still titanfall bundles and they will likely never go out of stock

last week <3500 lead for infamous
next week <5000 lead for titanfall

Moonstone

German charts seem to be up on mediabiz.de. Sub is required, so the only info available is that Diablo III RoS kicked ISS out of the first place (which is now #2).

Top 4: (you can figure it out from their news, they always publish charts on wednesday).
01 PC Diablo III: Reaper Of Souls
02 PS4 inFamous: Second Son
03 PC Diablo III
04 PS3 Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster

@PS shipments:
There were two small shipments last week. On 28/03 and 31/03. They mostly sold out in 1 day.
Some MMs/Saturns were offering ridiculously priced ripoff bundles for 599/699&#8364; with warranty contracts and bundled games, which would go for 75&#8364; each.

Smaller retailers had "fair" store bundles with one game. But "naked" consoles where not avaiable, besides some preorders probably. Sony is not giving a date when new shipments will be delivered to retail. The dire PS4 supply situation remains. But next week PS4 games should be up in germany, because there was a shipment finally.

Bruno MB

yW8JH.png

Germany:
Week 13, 2014 - Individual Formats (Units)

01 (NE) PC DIABLO III: REAPER OF SOULS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
02 (01) PS4 INFAMOUS: SECOND SON (SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT)
03 (04) PC DIABLO III (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
04 (02) PS3 FINAL FANTASY X/X-2 HD REMASTER (SQUARE ENIX / KOCH MEDIA)
05 (NE) PS3 SOUTH PARK: DER STAB DER WAHRHEIT (UBISOFT)
06 (NE) PC SOUTH PARK: DER STAB DER WAHRHEIT (UBISOFT)
07 (05) 3DS YOSHI'S NEW ISLAND (NINTENDO)
08 (17) PS4 FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
09 (NE) 3DS PROFESSOR LAYTON VS PHOENIX WRIGHT: ACE ATTORNEY (NINTENDO)
10 (NE) 360 SOUTH PARK: DER STAB DER WAHRHEIT (UBISOFT)
11 (03) PS4 METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES (KONAMI)
12 (11) PS3 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE-TWO INTERACTIVE)
13 (14) PS3 FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
14 (08) PS3 DARK SOULS II (BANDAI NAMCO GAMES)
15 (06) PC TITANFALL (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
16 (16) PS3 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
17 (10) XBO TITANFALL (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
18 (07) PS3 METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES (KONAMI)
19 (42) PS4 BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
20 (__) PS4 NBA 2K14 (TAKE-TWO INTERACTIVE)
21 (21) 3DS ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW LEAF (NINTENDO)
22 (55) PS4 ASSASSIN'S CREED IV - BLACK FLAG (UBISOFT)
23 (18) PC THE ELDER SCROLLS V - SKYRIM (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS)
24 (27) 360 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE-TWO INTERACTIVE)
25 (09) PSV FINAL FANTASY X/X-2 HD REMASTER (SQUARE ENIX / KOCH MEDIA)
26 (83) PS4 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
27 (30) 360 MINECRAFT - XBOX 360 EDITION (AK TRONIC)
28 (23) WIU DONKEY KONG COUNTRY: TROPICAL FREEZE (NINTENDO)
29 (29) 3DS MARIO KART 7 (NINTENDO)
30 (19) PS3 THE ELDER SCROLLS V - SKYRIM (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS)
31 (24) PS3 BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
32 (26) PS3 GRAN TURISMO 6 (SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT)
33 (__) PS4 KILLZONE: SHADOW FALL (SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT)
34 (22) 360 DARK SOULS II (BANDAI NAMCO GAMES)
35 (31) PS3 ASSASSIN'S CREED IV - BLACK FLAG (UBISOFT)
36 (20) PS3 CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS II (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
37 (39) 3DS POKÉMON X (NINTENDO)
38 (62) PS4 THIEF (SQUARE ENIX / KOCH MEDIA)
39 (48) 3DS POKÉMON Y (NINTENDO)
40 (12) XBO METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES (KONAMI)
41 (72) PC ARMA III (MORPHICON / FLASHPOINT)
42 (__) PS4 NEED FOR SPEED: RIVALS (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
43 (51) 3DS MARIO PARTY: ISLAND TOUR (NINTENDO)
44 (43) PC COMMAND & CONQUER ULTIMATE COLLECTION (DOWNLOAD CODE) (AK TRONIC)
45 (38) PC FU&#7838;BALL MANAGER 2013 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
46 (40) 360 PLANTS VS. ZOMBIES: GARDEN WARFARE (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
47 (13) PS3 NEED FOR SPEED: RIVALS (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
48 (47) PC LANDWIRTSCHAFTS-SIMULATOR 2013 (ASTRAGON)
49 (34) PC BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
50 (44) 3DS NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. 2 (NINTENDO)

Top 50

PS3 - 13
PS4 - 10
PC - 10
3DS - 8
360 - 5
XBO - 2
PSV - 1
WIU - 1

Interesting week

PS4 doing very well for a new console. 10 out of the 50 top spots. I guess due to the new stock

ISS holding well for now, FF X/X-2 HD PS3 holding very well for what it is amongst quite strong competition. Physical PC copy of TF still outselling TF XB1 which is interesting as most PC sales would be digital I would imagine.

3DS is doing good? 8 titles seem like a good number but think it's mostly new releases so not charting too high

Donkey Kong still charting although dropped 5 places. Still better legs for it than I would've thought, though it is being outsold by PSV version of FF X/X-2 HD

2 XBO titles in top 50 seems really low though

Did South Park just release in Germany I take it?

EGOMON

So who has the second biggest gaming market in EU after UK, Germany or France?
Form following PAL Charts i noticed that Germany is PC & Playstation centric while France Playstation and Nintendo centric but who has the bigger overall market?

Raist

Banned
Form following PAL Charts i noticed that Germany is PC & Playstation centric while France Playstation and Nintendo centric but who has the bigger overall market?

The UK hasn't been #1 for some time now.

1. France
2. Germany
3. UK

In absolute value numbers. UK would be #2 if adjusted per capita.

Germany loves XBO...

Everything going according to the 50% marketshare plan.

Dinda

I think all 3 are claiming to be the biggest at the moment. No matter what, they are all comparable in size.

Weird how different Swedish market is compared to other Nordics. MS seems to actually have some kind of foothold there going by split of PS3/X360 titles. All other Nordics are complete PS domination. And well handhelds are dead here in north.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
You really have to wonder how they thought that was possible.

Before the announcements of these console, there was a general feeling in the industry that MS would destroy Sony this gen. This included making serious gains in Sony dominated countries. I think nobody really expected it to turn out like this.

Probably comes from the same analyst who told then the global console market size for Gen 8 could go as high as 1 billion consoles.

Yeah MS was completely utterly delusional up to all their 180s after E3.
They felt like they were riding high and didn't even realize what kind of shit they were saying.
I don't even know where the'd gotten their confidence from, it's not like they were dominating the last generation, not even close.

Probably comes from the same analyst who told then the global console market size for Gen 8 could go as high as 1 billion consoles.

400 mio to 1 billion was the statement

after nearly 300 mio for gen 7
u want the market to grow

not that far form being total unrealistic if u just take the last gen sales to make ur guess ;)
but i doubt that, too

EGOMON

The UK hasn't been #1 for some time now.

1. France
2. Germany
3. UK

In absolute value numbers. UK would be #2 if adjusted per capita.

Everything going according to the 50% marketshare plan.

I think all 3 are claiming to be the biggest at the moment. No matter what, they are all comparable in size.

Oh really! I had completely the wrong idea maybe because UK are more open with their numbers of console sales and softwares

Before the announcements of these console, there was a general feeling in the industry that MS would destroy Sony this gen. This included making serious gains in Sony dominated countries. I think nobody really expected it to turn out like this.

I really don't know that on what basis people thought like that. Since we knew that both consoles are coming to market same time and even if the price would have been same and there hadn't been that DRM scandal PS4 would have destroyd Xbone in EU. Not just as hard as now. PS3 was able to outsell X360 even despite that it costed 200&#8364; more and came 1.5 years later to market.

Oh really! I had completely the wrong idea maybe because UK are more open with their numbers of console sales and softwares

Well if I remember right during heyday of last gen UK was bigger than Japanese market for some time. Of course nowadays there is sizable difference between the two.

Raist

Banned
I don't even know where the'd gotten their confidence from, it's not like they were dominating the last generation, not even close.

Giving Sony, who's been dominating the market for the past decade, a run for their money, I suppose. But yeah, it's not like they beame the new Sony, far from it.

400 mio to 1 billion was the statement

after nearly 300 mio for gen 7
u want the market to grow

not that far form being total unrealistic if u just take the last gen sales to make ur guess ;)
but i doubt that, too

400M is fine. But I don't get the higher limit. It's insane. Just like the whole 40% in Germany. I mean even if they believe that, it's not exactly the kind of insane "prediction" you'd wanna make public.

Actually the SELL (FR) and BIU (GER) give quite a lot of info yearly. And now and then there's the odd interview on some french or german websites where some numbers would be dropped.

Anyway, numbers for 2013 were:

FR >&#8364;2.7B
GE &#8364;2.66B
UK £2.19B (which is like 2.6B considering the average exchange rate in 2013).

But Germany has >80M inhabitants vs ~65 for the UK and FR.

EGOMON

Actually the SELL (FR) and BIU (GER) give quite a lot of info yearly. And now and then there's the odd interview on some french or german websites where some numbers would be dropped.

FR >&#8364;2.7B
GE &#8364;2.66B

wow that is really a comparable market, looks like Sony is going to dominate this gen seeing they have the lock on two of those market and gaining more market-share in UK compared to last gen

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Not sure if it's worth a new thread, but Nintendo France GM spoke to the press recently, and Gamekult sums his interview. Some interesting numbers for 2013:

• Pokemon XY 620k
  • Animal Crossing 380k
  • DKCR3D 150k
  • Luigi's Mansion 2 344k
  • Professor Layton 6 160k
  • 9k/week since beginning of 2014 for the 3DS family
  • +20% for the WiiU compared to 2013

MK8 is obviously their biggest game for the year, but he also speaks about Bayonetta 2 and SSB. No dates of course.

Merci! Shame that Fire Emblem: Awakening, DK:TF or Bravely Default were not mentioned.

France and Germany are Nintendo's stronghold in Europe! Can't let that go!

wow that is really a comparable market, looks like Sony is going to dominate this gen seeing they have the lock on two of those market and gaining more market-share in UK compared to last gen

as i said. if u just look at consoles (units), uk ist the biggest of these three markets.

its round about france+germany=uk

BKK

Giving Sony, who's been dominating the market for the past decade, a run for their money, I suppose. But yeah, it's not like they beame the new Sony, far from it.

400M is fine. But I don't get the higher limit. It's insane. Just like the whole 40% in Germany. I mean even if they believe that, it's not exactly the kind of insane "prediction" you'd wanna make public.

FR >€2.7B
GE €2.66B

Are those comparing like for like though? ie; retail software sales? I remember BIU started to conflate mobile and digital sales into their total a few years ago, which weren't included in UK figures. I haven't kept up to date with this for a while though.

I'd be surprised if UK isn't still top for retail software unit sales, which is what is generally prioritised in these threads, and removes external factors such as fluctuating exchange rates.

Merci! Shame that Fire Emblem: Awakening, DK:TF or Bravely Default were not mentioned.

France and Germany are Nintendo's stronghold in Europe! Can't let that go!

oh hey, so 3DS was actually at 950k
so Vita was actually 121k for 2013, lol

Vita sold 121K in France in 2013? That doesn't sound too good...

well considering previously I used the 1 million approximation for 3DS, that's a 70% jump from 71k ;)

FR >€2.7B
GE €2.66B

Very interesting.

So in terms of the biggest European markets and where XBO is doing the worst, it goes like this:

1. Spain
2. Germany
3. France
4. UK

?

Raist

Banned
oh hey, so 3DS was actually at 950k
so Vita was actually 121k for 2013, lol)

Ah, that makes more sense. Still shit though.

Smokydave post if you're OK.

Very interesting.

So in terms of the biggest European markets and where XBO is doing the worst, it goes like this:

1. Spain
2. Germany
3. France
4. UK

?

Sounds about right. Spanish market collapsed big time though, it was like &#8364;700ish million in 2013 (almost double that in 2006-7).

1. Spain
2. Germany
3. France
4. UK

?

It makes more sense to post where XB1 is doing the best in Europe

So then it's like

1. UK
  2. France
  3. Germany
  4. Sweden?
  5. Finland?
  6. Spain
  7. Portugal
And even then that's just assumptions on the most part

It makes more sense to post where XB1 is doing the best in Europe

So then it's like

1. UK
  2. France
  3. Germany
  4. Sweden?
  5. Finland?
  6. Spain
  7. Portugal
And even then that's just assumptions on the most part

Wonder how long MS can hold out in the UK. I think the price-cut/TF bundle, as well as the lack of PS4 stock, has given a slightly better impression there than I think will be case when things settle into the norm.

Going forward, with PS4 having *arguably* the stronger line-up in the coming few months (certainly if TLOU Definitive Edition in June is true), I could see PS4 stretching towards a 2:1 ratio in the UK.

Top Bottom