• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 13, 2014

Chobel

Still don't know how we get 150k for Titanfall week 1.
Don't know where Minecraft numbers comes but Mpl90 wrote:

He's assuming PC version represent exactly 6%, while in reality it could be anything between 5.5% and 6.49%.

5.5% give us ~133K for all versions, and 125k for xbone.

Raist

Banned
I could only guess at hardware based on the software figures I know plus MCV's 4/1 - 7/1 article, so I have a rough idea using basic maths.

So wait, is this where your 630k figure for PS4 comes from?
Because if you did think it was a 1/7 ratio and it's not a typo in this post (incidentally 63 is a multiple of 7 :p) this means you have 90k for ISS week 1.

But the ratio according to MCV was 1 in 9 owners, not 7.

So, PS4 >800k confirmed? :p

If we knew either TF or ISS W1 figure we could work everything else out from there, is that right?

We could figure out future week sales of the same title based on that [I.E. W2/W3/W4 for TF if we get W1 TF] but it wouldn't give us everything else

Any week of TF would give us all of the MGS numbers though as being around 100 less than MGSW2 for TFW3 wouldn't cause too large a margin for error

Decimals of the percentages will matter more i think, you have to subtract one from the other which will give you a range between 2 and 4. Foshy's post has the calculation.

I assume those percentages are within a half a percent of accuracy so while that would cause issues, those issues wouldn't be as large as the differences between ISS and MGS in W1 and W2 being off [i.e. if W1 difference is actually 14,500 or 15,500 instead of 15,000 I think that would cause a far larger problem in the calculations accuracy]

Still don't know how we get 150k for Titanfall week 1.
Don't know where Minecraft numbers comes but Mpl90 wrote:

149K for TFW1 All Platforms is from a flawed calculation based on MGS numbers

Code:
MGSW2 = 23400

TFW3 = MGSW2 - 100 = 23300

TFW2 = (TFW3)/(1-.42) = (23300)/(.58) = 40172

TFW1 = (TFW2)/(1-.73) = (40172)/(.27) = 148785

TFW1 All Platforms = 148785

I'd like to know where MPL90 is getting the minecraft numbers from as it's probably a fairly accurate baseline

So not that it matters but seeing how I already did it I'll post it regardless

Basically I ran the numbers 9 times, with 3 different possibilities of the Difference Between ISS and MGS

Code:
W1ISS-MGS -> 14500 | 15000 | 15500
W2ISS-MGS -> 2500| 3000| 3500

Game/Week	Min	Mean	Max
TFW1	      97829	148787	199745
TFW2	      26414	40172	53931
TFW3	      15320	23300	31280
ISSW1	      57333	80000	102667
ISSW2	      18920	26400	33880
MGSW1	      42833	65000	87167
MGSW2	      15420	23400	31380

PS4 UK LTD	515997	720000	924003
XB1 UK LTD	367837	559439	751041

And it of course tells us squat.

Raist

Banned
So not that it matters but seeing how I already did it I'll post it regardless

Basically I ran the numbers 9 times, with 3 different possibilities of the Difference Between ISS and MGS

Code:
W1ISS-MGS -> 14500 | 15000 | 15500
W2ISS-MGS -> 2500| 3000| 3500

Game/Week	Min	Mean	Max
TFW1	      97829	148787	199745
TFW2	      26414	40172	53931
TFW3	      15320	23300	31280
ISSW1	      57333	80000	102667
ISSW2	      18920	26400	33880
MGSW1	      42833	65000	87167
MGSW2	      15420	23400	31380

PS4 UK LTD	515997	720000	924003
XB1 UK LTD	367837	559439	751041

And it of course tells us squat.

Dat min is too low, unless people sold PS4s back to Sony :p

I'm gonna go with 70~75k for ISS week 1. It's the figure that makes the most sense with all the hints we got from various sources.

Dat min is too low, unless people sold PS4s back to Sony :p

I'm gonna go with 70~75k for ISS week 1. It's the figure that makes the most sense with all the hints we got from various sources.

Yes that is correct of course. I simply was showing the results I got regardless of their accuracy

I would assume ISS W1 is likely 70K - 75K. Perhaps 70K sounds most reasonable

No idea on Titanfall as there's a lot of percentages involved, getting TF's numbers for just one week would solve most of the problems

Raist

Banned
Yes that is correct of course. I simply was showing the results I got regardless of their accuracy

No idea on Titanfall as there's a lot of percentages involved, getting TF's numbers for just one week would solve most of the problems

Things we know:

MGSw1 > 54k
2xISSw1 > TFw1 > 125k

So let's go with ISSw1 at 72k, that's 57k for MGSw1, and <144k TFw1

ISSw2 = 23.76k
MGSw2 = 20.52k (so that's roughly a 3k diff with ISS)
TFw2 < 38.88k; TFw3 < 22.55k

Seems about right-ish. TF is a bit high that way but we only have a rather vague upper limit.

jcm

Same week PS4 console sales were up 70%.

So what? PS4 has been badly supply constrained. They sell what they ship. MS has not been supply constrained, so when the sales jump up concurrent with the release of a game, we call that game a system seller.

It's astonishing to me that anyone would argue with this.

Thanks for even attempting this. No really. Great someone cares enough to give us more insight.

madp0k

MS was leading UK & US by quite abit, this gen (so far) its losing both. Thats alot of market share to lose early and they will struggle to claw it back and even if they do it won't be by a huge amount. Stick WW into the equation and MS will lose alot of market share this gen. Thats as done deal as it gets this early.

zsidane

Not sure if it's worth a new thread, but Nintendo France GM spoke to the press recently, and Gamekult sums his interview. Some interesting numbers for 2013:

• Pokemon XY 620k
  • Animal Crossing 380k
  • DKCR3D 150k
  • Luigi's Mansion 2 344k
  • Professor Layton 6 160k
  • 9k/week since beginning of 2014 for the 3DS family
  • +20% for the WiiU compared to 2013

MK8 is obviously their biggest game for the year, but he also speaks about Bayonetta 2 and SSB. No dates of course.

I assume those percentages are within a half a percent of accuracy so while that would cause issues, those issues wouldn't be as large as the differences between ISS and MGS in W1 and W2 being off [i.e. if W1 difference is actually 14,500 or 15,500 instead of 15,000 I think that would cause a far larger problem in the calculations accuracy

Nope. The difference between the percentages is assumed to be 3, but it could be anywhere between 2 or 4. ISS value is calculated by dividing a number by that number, so the scope for error is huge.

Range for ISS using Foshy's post as a guide, let me know if I've made a mistake.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=106397000&postcount=60

Infamous first week number is lower than this:

35.5x-33.5x = 35.5*15500 - 305000
x = 122625

And higher than this:

36.5x-32.5x = 36.5*14500 -295000
x = 58562

Dragon

Banned
So what? PS4 has been badly supply constrained. They sell what they ship. MS has not been supply constrained, so when the sales jump up concurrent with the release of a game, we call that game a system seller.

A system seller should do more than one week of jumped up sales.

You mentioned the PS4 supply constraints but left out the simultaneous XBox price cut. That alone would have given a boost in sales so Titanfall affect is kind of lost in the noise. Had they not done the price cut + free game it would have been much easier to say one way or the other.

Much like the release of MGS4 coincided with a PS3 price cut.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
MS was leading UK & US by quite abit, this gen (so far) its losing both. Thats alot of market share to lose early and they will struggle to claw it back and even if they do it won't be by a huge amount. Stick WW into the equation and MS will lose alot of market share this gen. Thats as done deal as it gets this early.

I don't agree at all. Sony will lose WW share due to a decline in Japan and Nintendo are losing share everywhere. I think MS will increase their share this gen.

I don't agree at all. Sony will lose WW share due to a decline in Japan and Nintendo are losing share everywhere. I think MS will increase their share this gen.
What are you basing this on?
Sony is thoroughly kicking ass worldwide and you somehow think MS is going to be the best selling console WW?

If the 360 couldn't do that to the PS3, then Xbone has no chance.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood

Oh boy..

Last gen. Wii: 100m, 360: 80m, PS3: 80m
Currently: WiiU: 6m, XBO: 4m, PS4: 7m

You do know what marketshare means right?

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
What are you basing this on?
Sony is thoroughly kicking ass worldwide and you somehow think MS is going to be the best selling console WW?

If the 360 couldn't do that to the PS3, then Xbone has no chance.

For a start the consoles haven't even been out 6 months. Marketshare is the % of the home console market, they don't need to 'beat' Sony.

madp0k

I understand that the Nintendo market share is up for grabs for the other two consoles but I would be very suprised if Sony don't have the lion share of that and the even if the PS4 only sells 5m in its lifetime in Japan, it will be more than made up for in the gains from the UK and the US. Surely you can see this also or am I missing something.

level44

I think that is very wishful thinking.
Even though it is early days Sony are the clear front runners. The bad xbone PR is also still fresh in people's mind, more importantly, the casuals know about it as well. MS are losing their stronghold in the US/UK as well. In fact, hasn't the PS4 outsold the bone in the both markets at the moment?

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
I think that is very wishful thinking.
Even though it is early days Sony are the clear front runners. The bad xbone PR is also still fresh in people's mind, more importantly, the casuals know about it as well. MS are losing their stronghold in the US/UK as well. In fact, hasn't the PS4 outsold the bone in the both markets at the moment?

Due to the decline of the Wii they don't need to outsell Sony. They don't even need to get anywhere near them. to increase their marketshare.

EGM1966

That seems very unlikely - i.e. MS will gain share relative to Sony share based on last gen.

Both XB1 and PS4 are doing okay with PS4 of course doing best but the big winner WW is more likely to be Sony:

• They will pick up way more of Nintendo share in Europe/ROW than MS will IMHO
  • Current trends indicate Sony is going to end up with better marketshare in US/UK relative to Microsoft than last gen
  • Sony is sure to get better share in Japan no matter how low the market is (don't forget Japan will drag on both but much worse on MS)

Hence overall while both MS and Sony can do well this gen particularly if its at the expense of Nintendo the current trends and general demographics of where each sell best indicates Sony is much better placed to gain the most overall vs MS.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
But how do you think PS4 will be lesser than 31%?

I don't, Sony will increase theirs as well.
So in a world with
XBO: 32M
Wii U: 18M
PS4: 50M
Should MS be happy? The have more than 31% market share...

No one would be happy with that, consoles would be about finished unless it was a short gen.

But if, due to the decline of the Wii, the market gets smaller...

Yes it does but the share is still a % of that market.

Due to the decline of the Wii they don't need to outsell Sony. They don't even need to get anywhere near them. to increase their marketshare.
If the market greatly contracts in size, then that's not good.
That's like winning by default. It's a victory, yes. But in context it's not that meaningful.

madp0k

You said in the above quote that Sony would lose WW share because of a Japan, this is what I was having a problem with. MS will gain some market share (my mistake in my first post) but relative to Sony (which is important to MS) it will be quite abit less than Sony gains.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
You said in the above quote that Sony would lose WW share because of a Japan, this is what I was having a problem with. MS will gain some market share (my mistake in my first post) but relative to Sony (which is important to MS) it will be quite abit less than Sony gains.

All I meant was that the decline in Japan will hit Sony much harder than MS. They will easily make it up in other areas though.

Edit: Sorry double post.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
The reason this is interesting to me is because I think if XB1 sales start to fall behind the 360 we will start to hear a lot about marketshare from them.

Top Bottom