• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 36, 2017

But Knack 2 isn't bad :(

I do think that other Sony franchises deserved sequels more than knack tho.

The first game is bad. The sequel is slightly above average.

Why settle for slightly above average when we could've been getting the goods with Ape Escape 4 or Puppeteer 2 instead?

"But Acquiescence, Puppeteer 2 would only flop in the charts anyway!"

Well so did Knack 2! And anyone with half a brain could've predicted it.

(those last two sentences aren't aimed specifically at you silva, just to be clear)

Drencrom

It's not irony, it's karma.

What's "karma" about this? Has Knack talked shit about M+R or something?

Why settle for slightly above average when we could've been getting the goods with Ape Escape 4 or Puppeteer 2 instead?

Well so did Knack 2! And anyway with half a brain could've predicted it.

(those last two sentences aren't aimed specifically at you silva, just to be clear)

Puppeteer should've been a PS4 game really, it being a PS3 exlusive the same year PS4 released kinda killed it.

hotcyder

It's almost as if meme-power couldn't translate to sales. Why go out and buy the game when you can watch blackface Dunkey's video instead eh.

xrnzaaas

Knack 2 debuting outside of top10 was pretty much expected, it's not good but it's not a total flop like with Rime.

Even with say... D2 50-60% digital rate from a D1 20-30%, it launched lower than I thought.

D1 was nowhere near 20 or 30 %
Watch Dogs launched a few months earlier and had ~11% on XB1 and ~10% on Ps4. Last gen was below 10%.

Destiny could've been higher because cause it's an online game, but 20 or 30 percent is doubtful

Knack 2 debuting outside of top10 was pretty much expected, it's not good but it's not a total flop like with Rime.

No sequel is made/green light to make less money than the original game. Sure Knack was bundled heavily and had the typical launch boost but this is a big drop nevertheless and doesn't point towards people buying into the IP at all. Especially when it was sub £30 in many shops.

silva1991

Well so did Knack 2! And anyone with half a brain could've predicted it.

Lol. Well, maybe now they know that console launch games sales don't = popularity :p

klee123

Seriously don't understand how in the world Sony would given the greenlight to fund Knack 2 after the bad reception of the first game, when there are so much more worthy titles they could give a sequel to.

Bruno MB

It would be wise to wait first for Monster Hunter World to be released before making any claim about the performance of the series in the West on any particular system.

Capcom knows what he's doing staying away from Nintendo for Monster Hunter in west.

Lol how long have you been holding onto that for? It certainly wouldn't have been suitable when the last mainline game debuted at no1 at NPD?

Would've made for a much better impact there but MHG sold well so I guess... try again?

black070

Seriously don't understand how in the world Sony would given the greenlight to fund Knack 2 after the bad reception of the first game, when there are so much more worthy titles they could give a sequel to.

Mark Cerny and the team wanted to make it, it's a passion project and it shows - its an improvement in every way. I'm glad they fund games like these, if they didn't, we wouldn't have gotten a Gravity Rush 2 and The Last Guardian would have been cancelled a long time ago.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
3DS bomb. No switch version for this one.

Doesnt matter....it works in Capcoms favor since people are already picking up the narrative, so everything that MHW sells wil be seen as a massive success.

Thats why they couldnt risk releasing MHXX on Switch in the west this year.....it might satisfy the needs of the audience and we cant have that...lol.

Rymuth

Well, Cerny is developing the PS5 and you don't say no to him.

Seriously, though, maybe they wanted a third game for a family bundle this holiday.

I guess the sarcasm detector is broken.
FWIW, I got it. But it happens more often than not on GAF. Gotta use that /s unfortunately.

Expected sales for a game with an original title that bombed critically, and a woefully unappealing aesthetic. It's a shame because underneath all of that, Knack 2 is a good, polished game.

Mark Cerny and the team wanted to make it, it's a passion project and it shows - its an improvement in every way. I'm glad they fund games like these, if they didn't, we wouldn't have gotten a Gravity Rush 2 and The Last Guardian would have been cancelled a long time ago.

The key difference though being that Gravity Rush 1 and ICO/SotC are all excellent (not to mention much better than Knack 2), so those follow-up passion projects have reason to exist. If somebody wants to make a sequel to Lair because they're passionate about it, is that reason enough for the project to come to fruition?

The key difference though being that Gravity Rush 1 and ICO/SotC are all excellent (not to mention much better than Knack 2), so those follow-up passion projects have reason to exist. If somebody wants to make a sequel to Lair because they're passionate about it, is that reason enough for the project to come to fruition?

You really hate Knack that much don't you?

Edit:
Despite the low launch Knack 2 is still some tiers above other Sony titles like Puppeteer, Tearaway or Gravity Rush 2.

With decent legs it should match The Last Guardian, another +1 million worldwide title.

Oh boy, somebody ain't going to be happy.

Bruno MB

Despite the low launch Knack 2 is still some tiers above other Sony titles like Puppeteer, Tearaway or Gravity Rush 2.

With decent legs it should match The Last Guardian, one of the biggest Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan Studio titles.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

With decent legs it should match The Last Guardian, another +1 million worldwide title.

And is a damn shame. If Knack 2 is not bad, those games are legit good.

Edit: And Wipeout. Man, Ps4 owners, what are you doing!? :S

oti

Banned

Having a decent quality kid-friendly game for the Holidays doesn't sound like the worst idea to me. The development costs surely weren't that huge and it's priced appropriately. I'm sure it will do fine in the end.

Footos22

No sequel is made/green light to make less money than the original game. Sure Knack was bundled heavily and had the typical launch boost but this is a big drop nevertheless and doesn't point towards people buying into the IP at all. Especially when it was sub £30 in many shops.

It was always gonna make less money then the first game anyway its RRP is just £29.99
Sony will make money on it regardless, It doesn't have an AAA budget.. Its a decent library filler for families/kids moving towards Christmas, same as everybodys golf.

Its Bundle fodder and its actually pretty decent. Is way better than the first game. I'm having a blast with my youngest and the combat is pretty damn good when you get all the moves.

black070

Passion can breed quality, it did in Knack 2's case - I'm not averse to good games. There's higher reviewed titles I don't enjoy or that sold worse, it doesn't mean I'm wishing them out of existence. There have been plenty of people enjoying the game, and as posted earlier, the games markedly opened better in comparison to other Japan Studio releases, so there's that too.

oti

Banned
I still don't get why Sony thought it was a good idea to greenlight that.

The first game sold well.
Cerny wanted to do it.
Potentially a new franchise.
Kid-friendly.
Good, cheap game for cheap PS4 Slim Bundles.

I'm not saying Knack 1 was any good but people should remind themselves that a game doesn't have to be good to sell and hence get a sequel.

Drencrom

With decent legs it should match The Last Guardian, one of the biggest Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan Studio titles.

Interesting, put things into perspective at least.

If only those games had the benefit of being a launch title for a successful new console.

Think about how well Knack 2 would've sold if the first game was dropped onto the PS4 about three years into its life cycle. Yeah.

LordKano

Here's one reason:

The first game sold well.
Cerny wanted to do it.
Potentially a new franchise.
Kid-friendly.
Good, cheap game for cheap PS4 Slim Bundles.

I'm not saying Knack 1 was any good but people should remind themselves that a game doesn't have to be good to sell and hence get a sequel.

It sold better than Tearaway and Puppeteer ? How sad...Japan Studios must be cursed.

NSESN

Besides I will never understand Nintendo and Capcom decision to localize a game that already sold poorly in Japan so late in 3DS life.

Top Bottom