• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 39, 2007 (Halo 3 - 2nd faster seller EVER behind GTA:SA)

Gadfly said:
percentage numbers for FIFA 08.
I know you weren't replying to me, but that answered my question nicely, thanks! :D

DefectiveReject said:
NOW please stop arguing about Wii being in stock in the UK
Oh, but someone's referring to continental Europe.
A: Wiis are out of stock in the UK!
B: But Wiis are available in continental Europe. Nyah!

acuul

DefectiveReject said:
How hard is this to understand??

http://www.game.co.uk/Wii/Hardware/default.aspx?page=3

http://www.play.com/Search.aspx?sea...tring=Wii&page=search&pa=search&go.x=0&go.y=0

http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/simpleS...ID=-1&btnSubmitSearch.x=0&btnSubmitSearch.y=0

http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/sto...p_bound=0&criterion=Wii&AtimeStamp=3368848067

http://www.gamestation.co.uk/product.asp?id=Wiih001

http://www.woolworths.co.uk/web/jsp/product/index.jsp?pid=50778342

http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore...tle=nintendo_wii_console_-_white_+_wii_sports

http://www.virginmegastores.co.uk/p...sole_And_Controller_And_Wii_Sports_Game/s.jsf

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5683257/Trail/searchtext>WII+CONSOLE.htm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0007UATDG/
You can pick one up here for near on £300 ($600)

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/sto...p_bound=0&criterion=wii&AtimeStamp=3368847890
pl_out_of_stock.gif
pl_out_of_stock.gif
pl_out_of_stock.gif
pl_out_of_stock.gif
pl_out_of_stock.gif
pl_out_of_stock.gif
pl_out_of_stock.gif
pl_out_of_stock.gif
pl_out_of_stock.gif

pl_out_of_stock.gif
pl_out_of_stock.gif
pl_out_of_stock.gif
pl_out_of_stock.gif
pl_out_of_stock.gif
pl_out_of_stock.gif
pl_out_of_stock.gif
pl_out_of_stock.gif
pl_out_of_stock.gif

OutofStock.jpg

NOW please stop arguing about Wii being in stock in the UK

wow, didn't believe it...

Gadfly said:
percentage numbers for FIFA 08.

Sorry did not read that far, Fifa would have done a lot better in sales though if it had not come out Halo week so the gap would have been wider, PS3 owners don't really have a lot to buy to do they?

On a different point if EA cant sell Fifa on Wii in the UK then I can see third party support for Wii dropping like a stone, they are truly shocking results, they are not even competing with PES on that platform.

Lobster

Banned
spwolf said:
FIFA PSP beat FIFA WII... how humiliating is that? :lol

Yeah sure..a handheld with a higher userbase beat a console with a smaller userbase. Ps3 and Wii are probably close to each other and most Ps3 userbase eat up EA games.

Fifa 08 has sold pretty nicely on Wii. Better then it would have ever sold on the Gamecube. It probably sold the LTD of the GCs Fifas.

Who cares about continental Europe Wii beats all comers there anyway. This is UK, bggest Euro market, once SonyLand

And Wii is SOLD OUT!
Mario Galaxy and MP3 are weeks away and WII IS SOLD OUT.

YOU GET THAT NINTENDO...... SOLD OUT.......... Do something man!
GIVE ME A DAMNED BLACK WII

Lobster said:
Yeah sure..a handheld with a higher userbase beat a console with a smaller userbase. Ps3 and Wii are probably close to each other and most Ps3 userbase eat up EA games.

Fifa 08 has sold pretty nicely on Wii. Better then it would have ever sold on the Gamecube. It probably sold the LTD of the GCs Fifas.

The userbases are not that far apart, and sports games are not really best suited to handhelds either. Wii Fifa should be way up the list

.dmc

Banned
mr_bishiuk said:
Proof if it was ever required that the Wii is beeing bought by non gamers or as a second console

a / in the week that saw the release of two of the bigger games of the year (Halo3 + FIFA) Wii still managed to get three games in the top 10. Two of these were 3rd party (though EA).
b / Tiger Woods 08 Wii has had longer legs than the x360 version despite the x360 debuting higher. Not suggesting that the exact same will happen to FIFA, which will probably never outsell either next gen FIFA (this year at least), but it indicates that Wii consumers are of a more casual nature who don't necessarily bumrush the stores on day of release for anything, so Wii sales may end up far less front loaded.

Anyway, I think that you're probably right that Wii is being bought by a different sort of gamer, but wrong if you're insuating that they'll hurt for it.

Lobster

Banned
mr_bishiuk said:
The userbases are not that far apart, and sports games are not really best suited to handhelds either. Wii Fifa should be way up the list

Its in the top 10 and thats a great start. Its been said in this thread already that Europe thinks Fifa is a Sony thing and a Nintendo EA game charting in the top 10 is great.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
I think that there is a whole legion of european Sony loyalists who own a PS2 and are still waiting for the PS3 to drop price and refuse to buy either a XB360 or a Wii, and who are starved for high-profile games for their console of choice. It's these people who are buying the PS2 version of FIFA in droves.

Myke Greywolf said:
I think that there is a whole legion of european Sony loyalists who own a PS2 and are still waiting for the PS3 to drop price and refuse to buy either a XB360 or a Wii, and who are starved for high-profile games for their console of choice. It's these people who are buying the PS2 version of FIFA in droves.
And the more PS2 games they buy, the less PS3 games get sold. The less PS3 games get sold, the less PS3 games will get made.

Jokeropia

mr_bishiuk said:
On a different point if EA cant sell Fifa on Wii in the UK then I can see third party support for Wii dropping like a stone,
That makes absolutely no sense. Lots of third party games are already very successful on it, including EA's own MySims and Tiger Woods.

Lobster

Banned
mr_bishiuk said:
On a different point if EA cant sell Fifa on Wii in the UK then I can see third party support for Wii dropping like a stone, they are truly shocking results, they are not even competing with PES on that platform.

Wow..I'd have never thought that charting in the top 10=not selling.

Seriously..im shocked..very shocked.

legend166

I can totally see Fifa 08 Wii selling like Tiger 08 Wii. The first week it got outsold by the 360 version, as well as the PS3 version (not sure about that), and everyone was like "lol wii 3rd party sucks, etc". Then the Wii version stayed in the top 10 for about 5 weeks whilst the others dropped.

Lobster said:

Sharing 10% of the total with the PSP? Its units sold rather than chart placing that is relevant.

Kildace

Lobster said:

Fifa on Wii sold less than on any other console, PSP included, top 10 or not it's a very disappointing result coming from Football land. With less than 5% of the global Fifa sales it might chart in the top 10 but it's obviously sold much much less than the first 5 games.

Vagabundo

.dmc said:
Not suggesting that the exact same will happen to FIFA, which will probably never outsell either next gen FIFA (this year at least), but it indicates that Wii consumers are of a more casual nature who don't necessarily bumrush the stores on day of release for anything, so Wii sales may end up far less front loaded.

Anyway, I think that you're probably right that Wii is being bought by a different sort of gamer, but wrong if you're insuating that they'll hurt for it.

I think your spot on. Although without hard numbers GAF will never believe.

Wii userbase will eventually pound the next-genners software sales into dust, even if we have to do it through a tidal wave of consoles.

Lobster

Banned
Kildace said:
Fifa on Wii sold less than on any other console, PSP included, top 10 or not it's a very disappointing result coming from Football land. With less than 5% of the global Fifa sales it might chart in the top 10 but it's obviously sold much much less than the first 5 games.

NDS Fifa 08 didn't chart. Yes there is a DS version. Shouldn't it be at the top??

.dmc said:

Nintendo never hurt, they always make money. However I think a gamer like me would hurt if my only console was a Wii if this trend continues, Developers will focus on the games that do sell on Wii which are less likely to be games I like. I'm interested to see what MP3 sales are like in month 2for the NPDs, I suspect the figure will be surprising low 100 to 200k

Kildace

Lobster said:
NDS Fifa 08 didn't chart. Yes there is a DS version. Shouldn't it be at the top??

No because DS players are of a demographic much more likely to buy Even More Brain Training than Fifa, which is exactly my point.
I did forget the DS version though, Fifa Wii is indeed the second to worse-selling version and not the worst.

Lobster said:

Sports games on handhelds don't sell, they are types of games you play on a big screen against your friends not sat on the bus.

I can go to my local own here in england and pick up a wii from any major store. Online is however hard to get but bricks and windows shops seem to have stock still. I dont care what anyone says the 360 outselling the wii and nearly 2-1 on the ps3 is big news for microsoft well done.

Jokeropia

legend166 said:
I can totally see Fifa 08 Wii selling like Tiger 08 Wii. The first week it got outsold by the 360 version, as well as the PS3 version (not sure about that), and everyone was like "lol wii 3rd party sucks, etc". Then the Wii version stayed in the top 10 for about 5 weeks whilst the others dropped.
Tiger Woods PS3 was released three weeks later than Tiger Woods Wii but still failed to beat it that week. (That is, Tiger Woods Wii 4th week > Tiger Woods PS3 1st week.)

Jokeropia said:
Tiger Woods PS3 was released three weeks later than Tiger Woods Wii but still failed to beat it that week. (That is, Tiger Woods Wii 4th week > Tiger Woods PS3 1st week.)
FIFA isn't Tiger Woods

Therefore i also agree FIFA Wii will hang around longer than any other platform

Jokeropia

I know, I'm just saying that FIFA isn't some sort of ultimate measuring stick for how third parties perform on a platform.

supermackem said:
I can go to my local own here in england and pick up a wii from any major store. Online is however hard to get but bricks and windows shops seem to have stock still. I dont care what anyone says the 360 outselling the wii and nearly 2-1 on the ps3 is big news for microsoft well done.

I concur Wii's are available in shops, not sure why the online retailers are out of them.

I suspect they will be impossible to buy at Christmas though which is why I am holding 3 to sell at Christmas!

hadareud

The Translator
DefectiveReject said:
FIFA isn't Tiger Woods

fifa hangs around forever for any platform. why would the wii version sell better later on?

beef3483

Alcibiades said:
Do people really think that Reggie had no idea 360 sales would increase at least somewhat after the release of Halo and all the marketing?

Reggie is talking in a broader sense, not a one-week spike. It would very well be true that the release of Halo 3 will cause a sustained increase in 360 sales and reach Wii levels throughout the holidays. In that case, Reggie would be wrong in thinking they don't need something to counter Halo.

It's very possible that Halo gives the 360 new life, especially among FPS and Halo fans, but a larger effect in terms of moving hardware remains to be seen.

I don't like defending PR people, but this is the truth. If the 360 can sustain it's september and october hardware sales (say around 70% of) until January or February, then Reggie would be wrong.

hadareud

The Translator
beef3483 said:
this is the truth.
you can't handle the truth.

but seriously, how do you people know these things?

The wii versions will sell better in the future while other platforms are front heavy and don't sell all that well in reality, Reggie can predict the future and not only can he predict it, it's already "the truth" before his predictions come true.

I'd be a rich man if I could predict the future like this.

beef3483

hadareud said:
you can't handle the truth.

but seriously, how do you people know these things?

The wii versions will sell better in the future while other platforms are front heavy and don't sell all that well in reality, Reggie can predict the future and not only can he predict it, it's already "the truth" before his predictions come true.

I'd be a rich man if I could predict the future like this.

I was referring to what Alciabades said as being "the truth", not what Reggie said. That is yet to be seen.

But as for what Reggie said, if Halo is to truly threaten Wii (and thus require Nintendo to combat it) the 360 will need high sustained hardware sales because of it (basically like Wii Sports has done for Nintendo). Assuming Wii sales stay constant, a one to three month spike does little for Reggie to feel threatened. I think that is what was meant by what he said.

mr_bishiuk said:
Sorry did not read that far, Fifa would have done a lot better in sales though if it had not come out Halo week so the gap would have been wider, PS3 owners don't really have a lot to buy to do they?

OK, so will third party support for DS drop as well because Fifa08 DS didn't even make the charts? You know the other handheld version for PSP just had it's debut in the Top 10.

Oh I read this after typing:

mr_bishiuk said:
Sports games on handhelds don't sell, they are types of games you play on a big screen against your friends not sat on the bus.
DS third party support to drop like a rock confirmed!

Myke Greywolf said:
I don't think so. For a lot of people PS2 is simply good enough and they have one. They won't neccessarily wait for PS3 to drop in price.

Phife Dawg said:
I have the feeling the ones argueing about this stuff don't even live in the UK.

Well as far as I've seen in London, Wiis are everywhere!

Oh yeah and expect Fifa to stick around for a long time, football games here in Europe have massive legs! The only thing that can really knock Fifa out of the charts is Pro Evo (Which is much bigger than Fifa in the UK at least, and for good reason, it's the better game and even the most casual of gamers know it!)

Yeah of course Halo 3 is gonna boost 360 sales, but don't expect it to last for very long. I'd expect it to fall behind Wii again next week and then settle back down to normal sales levels the week after that.

DefectiveReject said:
FIFA isn't Tiger Woods

FIFA is to Europe as Madden is to USA.

The sales ranks are almost exactly the same, with the exception of the PS2 version being first.

If you'd paid attention to last years sales, FIFA 07 (and Pro Evo 6) on 360/PS2 both had insane legs the remainder of the holiday season. The Wii version will probably drop like a rock, just like Madden 08.

Beaten already, but PSP again proves this wrong. Or, at least that it's as viable a sports platform as the Wii.

I know, I'm just saying that FIFA isn't some sort of ultimate measuring stick for how third parties perform on a platform.

People said the same thing about Madden in August NPD, and I ask again, how is the #1 multiplatform 3rd party game in a given territory not an ultimate measuring stick for how 3rd parties perform?

If anything, these numbers show that:

- Tiger Woods is the exception that proves the rule. It's a sport that works better with the Wiimote, and is best suited for Nintendo's platform. The traditional sports gamers either don't own a Wii, or own one and don't want to play traditional sports games on the Wii.
- The PS3 has a higher concentration of sports/racing/shooter fans than even the 360, especially in Europe where late releases of PS3 ports still cause sales spikes in multiplatform games. I'm amazed the FIFA numbers are so close considering 360 has > 3x the userbase.
- It will probably be another year before PAL fully 'lets go' of the PS2, a transition that's already happened in Japan and just finally happened at the end of the summer (see NCAA and Madden sales) in the US.

Something important that people should take into consideration is the sheer nature of FIFA. It's a football game. Ask any person how they think the Wii version would control, and they very likely won't give you the right answer.

Then ask them how Tiger Woods would control on Wii. Nearly everyone would give you the correct answer.

I think this plays a big part in Wii software sales - if the same appears well suited to the wiimote, then it will sell. Just look at Carnival Games - crap game, but it makes a lot of sense doesn't it?

Jokeropia

Sho_Nuff82 said:
People said the same thing about Madden in August NPD, and I ask again, how is the #1 multiplatform 3rd party game in a given territory not an ultimate measuring stick for how 3rd parties perform?
Because they're pretty much the only third party games that don't perform well on Wii? (Conversely, they're also pretty much the only third party games that have done well on PS3.) FIFA and Madden aren't measuring sticks for any third party games apart from FIFA and Madden.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Wii can give a boost to Tennis games like it has done to Golf games making an equal number of sports perfectly suited for it as the not as compatible sports. (Football and American Football.)

kurosawa

Sho_Nuff82 said:
- The PS3 has a higher concentration of sports/racing/shooter fans than even the 360, especially in Europe where late releases of PS3 ports still cause sales spikes in multiplatform games. I'm amazed the FIFA numbers are so close considering 360 has > 3x the userbase.

It would be amazing if Halo 3 didn't come out in the same week.

kurosawa

_Alkaline_ said:
Something important that people should take into consideration is the sheer nature of FIFA. It's a football game. Ask any person how they think the Wii version would control, and they very likely won't give you the right answer.

Then ask them how Tiger Woods would control on Wii. Nearly everyone would give you the correct answer.

I think this plays a big part in Wii software sales - if the same appears well suited to the wiimote, then it will sell. Just look at Carnival Games - crap game, but it makes a lot of sense doesn't it?

I agree. Besides, FIFA 08 Wii has been marketed everywhere with that top-down view that is not the standard view of recent football games here in Europe. It makes it a 'different' game for the football fan.

maxmars

Also, re: FIFA Wii: if it's true that there's a higher percentage of women owning this console vs. other consoles, perhaps such dedicated sport titles are bound to fare worse on Wii.

Golf may be an exception.. Perhaps. Is that sport played by many women?

spwolf

Lobster said:
Its in the top 10 and thats a great start. Its been said in this thread already that Europe thinks Fifa is a Sony thing and a Nintendo EA game charting in the top 10 is great.

yeah, well, apperantly PSP games beating Wii games is good? sweet.

And no, PS3 sold at least double amount of Wii version, and more likely tripple the amount (check chart track release).

Threi

notag
spwolf said:

And no, PS3 sold at least double amount of Wii version, and more likely tripple the amount (check chart track release).

I am so humiliated. I probably should have taken a plane to the UK and bought up half a million copies of FIFA 08 Wii to save myself the embarrassment. I just want to kill myself now ;_;

kurosawa

spwolf said:

PSP has just a game on the charts. Yeah, it should. Besides that, shouldn't you be more worried with how Heavenly Sword is performing than with FIFA Wii?

spwolf

maxmars said:
Also, re: FIFA Wii: if it's true that there's a higher percentage of women owning this console vs. other consoles, perhaps such dedicated sport titles are bound to fare worse on Wii.

Golf may be an exception.. Perhaps. Is that sport played by many women?

no.

reason is that traditional european gamers, that buy probably around 15-20 million different football games, per year, in europe, are very traditional. They want to use same controls that they always used. For them, having completly different set of controls is really bad.

Like my brother is 35, has 2 kids, and has played over 10000 hours of PES and FM. He never played any other game for more than 10 minutes, nor does he want to. If I gave him sixaxis or wii-mote to wave around playing PES, he would probably throw out the whole thing through the window.

It is really nothing mystical, or bad for Wii, it is just that gamers preffer controls that they are used to. Of course, it might or might not give hints on what happens in few years.

Of course, making fun of the Fifa Wii performance is really nice way to pass the day so why not? :D

spwolf said:
Of course, making fun of the Fifa Wii performance is really nice way to pass the day so why not? :D

I think the saddest part here is that you have nothing better to do with your time than to make fun of the performance of a videogame's sales.

spwolf

Pureauthor said:
I think the saddest part here is that you have nothing better to do with your time than to make fun of the performance of a videogame's sales.

isnt you taking your time to respond even sadder? :lol

You felt at ease when Wii software performed better and you were more than happy to post in sales age threads... well it works both ways. :lol

k79

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
I guess the term 'Sonyland' does not really apply any more here in the UK.

And it won't be in the rest of Europe if that "399 euro" SKU doesn't launch soon.
The 599 euro pricetag is the #1 culprit for it not selling as well as it should.

k79 said:
And it won't be in the rest of Europe if that "399 euro" SKU doesn't launch soon.
The 599 euro pricetag is the #1 culprit for not selling as well as it should.

If that's true, Heavenly Sword should've done a bit better, no? The problem is compelling software.

Top Bottom