• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 49, 2013

Nibel

38 and below...

I seriously didn't see Forza 5 - crazy, I expected Dead Rising 3 or Ryse to perform much better. Seems like the price difference settled the choice of which console to get for many people

All you can do is shed a tear and move on.

Well, if that statement is true, then there must be blood coming out of your eyes instead of tears at this point :lol

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So much for 3D World obviously having legs to outsell Knack.

The problem with 3D World is not just that. And I'm not even talking about its current place in the chart as a whole, because it's heavily influenced by all those next gen SKUs popping up (the same for other console's exclusives, obviously), but...it did worse than Zelda: A Link Between Worlds's third week. Now, I think Zelda didn't do badly in its third week, but Mario shouldn't be lower than that.

Taiser

UK Charts said:
26 (18) PS4 KNACK (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)

30 (20) WIU SUPER MARIO 3D WORLD (NINTENDO)
38 (22) XBO FORZA MOTORSPORT 5 (MICROSOFT)
39 (26) XBO BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

u6JVgPL.gif

and holy shit @ Xbone version of AC4 not being in the UK Top 40

Asd202

Just sayin' dude, a bomb is a bomb. All you can do is shed a tear and move on.

Mpl90
Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!! :p

But seriously it did bad there's no spin and denying that but it was low print so it seems Nintendo was expecting this.

Hasney

If we really want to talk about stock for both consoles...I remember how stockinformer.co.uk pages got posted.

http://www.stockinformer.co.uk/checker-xbox-one
http://www.stockinformer.co.uk/checker-ps4-playstation-4

How reliable it is?

It's reliable, if a little slow to update sometimes. The PS4 Argos checker kept coming up as available and within seconds they were out of stock.

Thought that was a bit odd. I expected them to sell qucikly, but not THAT quickly, so ended up spamming the postcode checker in Argos and managed to buy one eventually before that store even came up on Stock Informer.

QaaQer

what

and why would you want the worse version?

Because I'm not keen on chopping 40 hours of whatever they chopped, adding 'press x to win' bombs that you can buy with real money, freely adjustable sliders, and whatever else they changed...just killed my interest.

And before anyone jumps down my throat, imagine if they did that stuff to Dark Souls II.

So Wii U software YTD has been surpassed by XB1 and probably PS4 as well. And hardware has been surpassed by both. That 1 year headstart was a complete waste.

It's reliable, if a little slow to update sometimes. The PS4 Argos checker kept coming up as available and within seconds they were out of stock.

Thought that was a bit odd. I expected them to sell qucikly, but not THAT quickly, so ended up spamming the postcode checker in Argos and managed to buy one eventually before that store even came up on Stock Informer.

Those pages are showing a lot more Xbones available than PS4s. In fact I just looked and it says there's no Argos stores have PS4 stock, but 25 stores have Xbone stock.

Guess availability isn't that much of an issue.

Because I'm not keen on chopping 40 hours of whatever they chopped, adding 'press x to win' bombs that you can buy with real money, freely adjustable sliders, and whatever else they changed...just killed my interest.

They didn't chop a thing but made it optional and packed it into sidequests instead of forcing you to get every single of the 24 jobs. And if the inclusion of difficulty settings and totally optional and practically useless microtransactions makes you lose interest in a game that was improved in every single regard from the original... I don't even know what if. You're just being stubborn for no good reason.

N.Domixis

Banned
Now that MS is in danger of losing NA all efforts to gain marketshare in the UK/EU will be abandoned to concentrate on the states.

Its a beautiful plan. Dominate in every single country and match xbone in the states and then next gen go in for the kill. Microsoft is going to lose a lot of market share espesialy in Europe.

Asd202

And before anyone jumps down my throat, imagine if they did that stuff to Dark Souls II.

In reality they did not cut content they even added more, they've just made more stuff from the main game into a side quest because the game was too long for most people. That's also why they add a battle slider and difficulty slider to speed up the game. It's all to address the common criticism that JRPG's are too long. Microtransaction are ass but it just a easy way to win a battle you don't have to use it at all.

Peff

That makes no sense because Bravely Default is not, in fact, Dark Souls II, where the point is to have high difficulty by default. In a JRPG like BD including adjustable difficuly settings and sliders means the game can be harder, not just easier. Case in point: the original game only had the standard difficulty, now you have Hard and you can also choose not to get experience/money/job points from battles, or fight random enemies at all.

Ahahaha. You complaining about optional stuff ? Content chopped ? Contents has been added, nothing's been removed. Press X to Win ? Even if you had a gauge filled up with SP points, this thing won't give you the edge over an ennemy. You just complain about things you don't know about or you didn't even wanted to know about.

If they did that kind of stuff to Dark Souls II, that would mean allowing Dark Souls II to be either easier than the original... or a lot harder. Everyone wins.

QaaQer

They didn't chop a thing but made it optional and packed it into sidequests instead of forcing you to get every single of the 24 jobs. And if the inclusion of difficulty settings and totally optional and practically useless microtransactions makes you lose interest in a game that was improved in every single regard from the original...I don't even know what if. You're just being stubborn for no good reason.

Naw, I'm just picky. I think about having that stuff in my two faorite handheld jrpgs--P4G and Etrian Odyssey IV--and it would have ruined those games for me.

ymmv <---important

I just wanted to play the Japanese version with some English subs.

& just to make sure we are on the same page, it is freely adjustable difficulty sliders.

Naw, I'm just picky. I think about having that stuff in my two faorite handheld jrpgs--P4G and Etrian Odyssey IV--and it would have ruined those games for me.

ymmv <---important

& just to make sure we are on the same page, it is freely adjustable difficulty sliders.

it is freely adjustable, it doesn't mean you're forced to change it.

Bruno MB

8BZvc.png

Italy:
Week 48, 2013 - Individual Console Formats (Units)

01 (NE) PS4 FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
02 (01) PS3 FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
03 (02) WII JUST DANCE 2014 (UBISOFT)
04 (NE) PS4 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
05 (NE) PS4 BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
06 (NE) PS4 ASSASSIN'S CREED IV - BLACK FLAG (UBISOFT)
07 (03) PS3 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
08 (10) 360 FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
09 (04) PS3 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)
10 (NE) PS4 KILLZONE: SHADOW FALL (SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT)

QaaQer

If they did that kind of stuff to Dark Souls II, that would mean allowing Dark Souls II to be either easier than the original... or a lot harder. Everyone wins.

I don't want to get into a big discussion about game design principles because it is very ot.

However, I will say when those things are included, other things are lost. That is why they were not in Demon's Souls*, P4G, and EOIV. Those games were not made by dummies, they knew what they were doing, and they designed those games deliberately.

* I use Demon's instead of Dark, because the director said that when he began Demon's Souls, he was free to "make a game that I would want to play." So he had freedom with Demon's design;, and therefore we can assume that the game design decisions were all made without undo influence (focus group testing, game executive interference, it being a sequel etc.). I'm pretty sure none of that is true with BDFTS.

ymmv <---important

Well, you already have made up your mind without having played the game so I see no point in further discussing this matter.

Terrible drop for GT6. Will have legs, but still another disappointment for Sony no doubt. TLoU, the only success on PS3 this year lol

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
8BZvc.png

Italy:

I suppose bundles aren't counted in Italian charts, since Killzone is just 10th.

I don't want to get into a big discussion about game design principles because it is very ot.

However, I will say when those things are included, other things are lost. That is why they were not in Demon's Souls*, P4G, and EOIV. Those games were not made by dummies, they knew what they were doing, and they designed those games deliberately.

* I use Demon's instead of Dark, because the director said that when he began Demon's Souls, he was free to "make a game that I would want to play." So he had freedom with Demon's design;, and therefore we can assume that the game design decisions were all made without undo influence (focus group testing, game executive interference, it being a sequel etc.). I'm pretty sure none of that is true with BDFTS.

Lol. So in you're opinion, no choice is better than choice ? Nothing is lost, absolutely nothing. They added BOTH an Easy mode... but also an HARD mode. They also added ways to lessen encounters... or make them MORE frequent. They made this release for EVERYONE. You want the same experience as the one in the original game ? Don't touch anything. You want a harder game than the original ? Just select Hard mode and push the encouter rate to the max. You want an easier game than the original ? Select easy mode.
In the end, everyone is happy, what's wrong with this ? Please tell me, what was lost ?

QaaQer

Lol. So in you're opinion, no choice is better than choice ? Nothing is lost, absolutely nothing. They added BOTH an Easy mode... but also an HARD mode. They also added ways to lessen encounters... or make them MORE frequent. They made this release for EVERYONE. You want the same experience as the one in the original game ? Don't touch anything. You want a harder game than the original ? Just select Hard mode and push the encouter rate to the max. You want an easier game than the original ? Select easy mode.
In the end, everyone is happy, what's wrong with this ? Please tell me, what was lost ?

Giving a player a choice is different than not giving a player a choice. It seems pretty self evident to me, and pretty basic as far as game design goes.

For example:
Not having a difficult adjustment (or not having a freely adjustable difficulty adjuster) means what? It means that the only two options for the player are 1)master the game systems well enough to advance, 2) give up.

Having a freely adjustable slider means what? In addition to the two options above, the player can also just nerf the opposition to advance.

Each strategy has its pluses and minuses. Giving players a choice changes the game.

Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing depends on the player. And for some (maybe even most), BDFTS>>>>>>>>BD.

again, ymmv. not every game should be Demon's Souls, etc etc.

fake edit: oh and the Japanese version did not have a freely adjustable slider.

Raist

Banned
8BZvc.png

Italy:

I'm curious to see how Italy will receive the XB1 when it comes out.

lolz

Kysen

So France and Italy charts are lopsided heavily towards Playstation. I knew Sony was doing better on the mainland (I'm from the UK) but damn.

Elios83

I'm curious to see how Italy will receive the XB1 when it comes out.

lolz

Here in Italy day one Xbox One units are still available :p

Btw good sales for PS4 software which is clearly ahead of Xbox One software in the UK, Killzone still high in the charts means good hardware and bundle sales.

So cross-posting since it's of interest here too:
If XB1 sold 65K in Australia and 150K in the UK at launch...
What exactly does that leave for the remaining launch countries in continental Europe out of their initial million? 100K split between the Germany, France, Italy, Spain and Austria?

Fake edit: in googling this I didn't really realize just how few territories they were launching in Europe (forgot about Brazil and Mexico taking up two slots.)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=90938120&postcount=634

There were multiple stores we contacted in Germany who were told they would get less than 20 Bones until the beginning of next year. To me it is a soft launch in the non-English speaking world. Just a token "you're still important to us" launch.

I think they would have been better off launching in US, Canada, UK, Australia and NZ and spread the stock out better in those countries then worried about non-English countries in 2014 while also working on getting deals signed with Cable TV companies in Europe.

Like I said, it's a soft launch outside of the English speaking world. MS don't have the production capacity for it.

I actually thought it would be 50k for AU+NZ, so 65k for AU is higher than I had pencilled in. 150k UK, ~700k NA, 65k AU, 20-30k NZ, that actually leaves around 100k for the non-English speaking world at launch. Which is just an insanely small shipment for 8 countries.

I'm guessing the ANZ sales for PS4 are around the 50K mark from that 700K number from Sony PR. Since presumably a lot of the non-UK stock would go to Germany, France, Italy and Spain.

And it's really what I would have expected for XB1 too.

Weird thing is, the XB1 isn't sold out here - even with the good AU launch of 65K sold-through. So they've seemingly shipped a relatively large portion of their launch consoles here.

~100K for those other countries seems ridiculously small.

Are they just unprepared for continental Europe? Did they just have much weaker demand there necessitating lessor shipments?
So 400k for the rest
400K for those countries really does seem a lot more reasonable than 100K (even taking into account the fewer XB1 countries). Germany and France are pretty big markets.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Like I said, it's a soft launch outside of the English speaking world. MS don't have the production capacity for it.

I actually thought it would be 50k for AU+NZ, so 65k for AU is higher than I had pencilled in. 150k UK, ~700k NA, 65k AU, 20-30k NZ, that actually leaves around 100k for the non-English speaking world at launch. Which is just an insanely small shipment for 8 countries.

To be fair Sony practically did the same thing. NA and UK accounted for 1.7m units of the 2.1m availeble at launch. So 400k for the rest and I reckon Germany and France got the majority of those. Here in the Netherlands people got screwed over when stores couldn't fullfill their preorders because of lower then expected units arriving. Latest news is that the second shipment arrives after 10 december.

Sony and Microsoft obviously decided to battle it out in NA and the UK, the rest isn't really a priority for either of them at the moment.

Giving a player a choice is different than not giving a player a choice. It seems pretty self evident to me, and pretty basic as far as game design goes.

For example:
Not having a difficult adjustment (or not having a freely adjustable difficulty adjuster) means what? It means that the only two options for the player are 1)master the game systems well enough to advance, 2) give up.

Having a freely adjustable slider means what? In addition to the two options above, the player can also just nerf the opposition to advance.

Each strategy has its pluses and minuses. Giving players a choice changes the game.

Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing depends on the player. And for some (maybe even most), BDFTS>>>>>>>>BD.

again, ymmv. not every game should be Demon's Souls, etc etc.

fake edit: oh and the Japanese version did not have a freely adjustable slider.

Well I respect your opinion, but I'm glad 99% of developers don't care about it.

I'm guessing the ANZ sales for PS4 are around the 50K mark from that 700K number from Sony PR. Since presumably a lot of the non-UK stock would go to Germany, France, Italy and Spain.

And it's really what I would have expected for XB1 too.

Weird thing is, the XB1 isn't sold out here - even with the good AU launch of 65K sold-through. So they've seemingly shipped a relatively large portion of their launch consoles here.

~100K for those other countries seems ridiculously small.

Are they just unprepared for continental Europe? Did they just have much weaker demand there necessitating lessor shipments?

Yes, I counted a 100k shipment for AU/NZ, so 700k for NA, 150k UK, 100k NZ, 100K RoW.

It does seem unreasonably small, which could mean the 700k estimate is too high for NA, we could be looking at 550-600k in that case. My survey data from EU launch nation retailers is consistent with around 150-200k units for launch.

The figure could then be 600k NA, 150k UK, 100k AU/NZ, 200k RoW. That would mean MS are significantly behind PS4 in NA, 1.4m vs 600k+BF.

On the generally low shipment, I think it is a bit of both, not ready for any kind of global launch, but also there isn't much demand either outside of the English speaking world. Anecdotally the Bone is relatively easy to find in Continental Europe with some of the Day One shipment still available. That is most definitely not the case for PS4 where it is completely sold out in retail.

To be fair Sony practically did the same thing. NA and UK accounted for 1.7m units of the 2.1m availeble at launch. So 400k for the rest and I reckon Germany and France got the majority of those. Here in the Netherlands people got screwed over when stores couldn't fullfill their preorders because of lower then expected units arriving. Latest news is that the second shipment arrives after 10 december.

Sony and Microsoft obviously decided to battle it out in NA and the UK, the rest isn't really a priority for either of them at the moment.

400k is low, but the UK and US are battleground countries for Sony, they want to get an early lead out of the gate in both so they can benefit from the snowball effect now that they have paid online. A lot of 360 sales in the UK and US were made to people who's friends were already on 360 and paid for online and unwilling to move to PS3. Sony hope to benefit from that effect so getting a large early installed base is key to this strategy.

I would assume BD would be virtually impossible to find on the High Street.

Whats up with Wii U owners not buying Mario? There is nothing else to get!!
The UK Wii U userbase is tiny, and the majority of owners interested in still buying games for it have probably done on launch week.

TheZjman

Banned
Good hold by LBW.

Knack bundles are still in stock generally, so that will help it.

We sold out of BD but we got around 50 copies.

Pain

Banned
Damn, 80% drop from GT5. It was somewhat expected considering GT5 had "best racing game ever" hype, but still. PS4 GT would have done better than this.
GT6 will have legs though. UK seems to be into shooters just as much as America. I'm sure GT6 would has done much better in other EU regions.

Most of Xbox one exclusives are gone besides Forza.
Yup and Forza isn't gone because it's bundled.(FIFA is too if I'm not mistaken.)

are killzone and FIFA (Xbox) counting bundle sales too?
Definitely. There's no way Killzone would be that high without bundle sales. It's amazing how all PS4 multiplats are selling better considering last gen was 360 nation in the UK.

m.i.s.

Banned
Those Super Mario 3D World UK chart numbers warms the cockles of my heart.

It is one of the laziest -- if not THE laziest -- Mario title I've seen. Simple corridors, dumbed down controls, a cat suit to climb sheer vertical walls so that designers don't have to task themselves with placement of intricate platforms.

Nintendo's first HD platform should have afforded a much grander and much more ambitious 3D Mario project worthy of it's heritage. A Super Mario 64 2 or a Super Mario Sunshine 2 or even a Supe Mario Galaxy 3. Not a dumbed down sub-par effort like this.

Kurtofan

Those Super Mario 3D World UK chart numbers warms the cockles of my heart.

It is one of the laziest -- if not THE laziest -- Mario title I've seen. Simple corridors, dumbed down controls, a cat suit to climb sheer vertical walls so that designers don't have to task themselves with placement of intricate platforms.

Nintendo's first HD platform should have afforded a much grander and much more ambitious 3D Mario project worthy of it's heritage. A Super Mario 64 2 or a Super Mario Sunshine 2 or even a Supe Mario Galaxy 3. Not a dumbed down sub-par effort like this.

SMS was Super Mario 64 2.

Also lol you say it is uninspired (Cat suit?! Don't use it if you don't like it) but all you propose are sequels.

3D World is a worthy game.

Pain

Banned
I'm curious how long the Xbox-COD deal lasts for and whether Activision will look to renegotiate it's terms if the playerbase shifts.
Let's hope so. Activision is a business after all. I'm guessing we'll see at least another year of MS/COD partnership. These deals won't change overnight. So unless PS4 outsells XB1 2:1 worldwide.....its worth noting that the situation in America isn't that bad. MS seems to be restocking often. A lead or even tie in America would be enough for Microsoft to keep securing this timed DLC.

Again, from the other thread...something more general, this time

Week 49

Call of Duty: Ghosts (+2%) - 187,680
FIFA 14 (-15%) - 150,875
Battlefield 4 (-35%) - 86,782
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (-15%) - 69,827
53,000 < Gran Turismo 6 < 55,000
EA really fucked up with BF4. Are they really going to release another BF game next year?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Bravely Default was an expected bomba. The people claiming it'd be the next major JRPG series from Square Enix were fucking insane.

NoE should have sent every single 3DS owner a forced demo of Bravely Default over SpotPass.

Game is impossible to find in stores, I have yet to see a copy out in the wild. It probably far exceed NoE/SE's (low) expectations, they should've shipped more copies to high street stores.

Let's hope so. Activision is a business after all. I'm guessing we'll see at least another year of MS/COD partnership. These deals won't change overnight. So unless PS4 outsells XB1 2:1 worldwide.....its worth noting that the situation in America isn't that bad. MS seems to be restocking often. A lead or even tie in America would be enough for Microsoft to keep securing this timed DLC.

EA really fucked up with BF4. Are they really going to release another BF game next year?
No because they still have to fix bf4

Top Bottom