• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 8, 2012

Sheikh

Banned
Did I miss some crazy 3DS sales in Europe? PS3 and 360 or even the Wii seem to be doing better on most charts

3DS and PS3 are currently fighting for top spot in the PAL region . It will remain like that for a while until PS3 goes below <200. Then ps3 will see a good bump in sales there.

Did I miss some crazy 3DS sales in Europe? PS3 and 360 or even the Wii seem to be doing better on most charts

For all we know 2011 3DS's sales in PAL territories have been quite good overall methinks:

France 770k
Germany 600k
Spain 330k
Italy 250k
Australia 200k

P.S. I cannot find 3DS's UK hardware sales thread, but I vaguely recall it selling decently as well over there.

As for Europe being turned into Sonyland, aside from UK it may be true for Spain and Italy, but France can be historically regarded as "Nintendoland" whereas in Germany PC has possibly the biggest share over home consoles.

Spiegel

For all we know 2011 3DS's sales in PAL territories have been quite good overall methinks:

France 770k
Germany 600k
Spain 330k
Italy 250k
Australia 200k

P.S. I cannot find 3DS's UK hardware sales thread, but I vaguely recall it selling decently as well over there.

3DS did good numbers in November and December thanks to Mario 3D + Kart 7 + low price but looking at this years charts and the January NPD numbers, it doesn't seem like it is doing that great now.

But that's just my impression.

Searching quickly brought this post up. 3DS looks to be 4th last year in EU and nothing we've seen so far this year would lead me to believe it's moved to the top spot.
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/120127/index.html

Code:
2011 Hardware Sales

TOTAL    US      EU    JP

3DS       11.8    4.1    3.5    4.3
360       11.0    7.3    3.7    0.1
PS3       11.0    4.5    4.9    1.5
WII        9.5    4.5    4.0    0.9
NDS        7.5    3.8    3.0    0.7
PSP        5.8    1.4    2.3    2.1
PSV        0.5      0      0    0.5

- US: NPD
- JP: Media Create
- EU: Nintendo's estimates.

Rounded to nearest 100000.

Heropon

After Christmas, apart from Resident Evil, Mario and Sonic and Kid Icarus, it seems there aren't substantial 3DS releases. I wonder what happened to Luigi's Mansion 2. And no, I don't count Metal Gear.

Looking at this year's and the January NPD numbers it doesn't seem like it is doing that great now.

I can tell you that as for now both Mario kart 7 and SM3dLand have been performing well - I mean they have been pretty constantly in top 10 charts or almost there from November till presently - in France(top4), Germany, Italy, Netherlands and Norway, and other titles such as RE or Mario & Sonic have made their appearence as well in the charts, so although it's undeniable 3DS has been selling decently thanks to price cut+MK7+SM3DL+ Christmas, it's showing no sign that it's going to stop right now.

Sheikh

Banned
Searching quickly brought this post up. 3DS looks to be 4th last year in EU and nothing we've seen so far this year would lead me to believe it's moved to the top spot.

it will not beat ps3 by any chance . But its sales is likely to improve this year . ofcourse a sub 200 ps3 would just outgun everything in sales in the PAL region .The chart you brought up doesnt cover Asia/middle east and other PAL regions. It covers most EU regions

@gianni
in France if you look at charts its mostly PS3 games these days. In France and Germany, ps3 was the no1 selling HW last year . In Germany, it was all PC gaming few years ago but now ps3 is taking away many spots

I somehow recall Nintendo reported having sold worldwide over 15 million 3DSs in 2011 in their yearly financial report, is my memory failing me on this regard?

By the way I think 3DS should be around 17/18 millions right now.

I somehow recall Nintendo reported having sold worldwide over 15 million 3DSs in 2011 in their yearly financial report, is my memory failing me on this regard?

By the way I think 3DS should be around 17/18 millions right now.

Shipped, not sold and that chart doesn't cover the entire world. They expect to be at 14 million when the FY ends in a month and they did 3.8 million last FY when they launched so they'll be around 17-18 million shipped a month from now.

Sold numbers are going to be a million or 2 less than the total shipped numbers. Probably sold somewhere around 14-15 million worldwide at this point unless they are going to be under targets which would put sales less than that.

Shipped, not sold and that chart doesn't cover the entire world. They expect to be at 14 million when the FY ends in a month and they did 3.8 million last FY when they launched so they'll be around 17-18 million shipped a month from now.

Sold numbers are going to be a million or 2 less than the total shipped numbers. Probably sold somewhere around 14-15 million worldwide at this point.

I found it, here it says 17.56 millions worldwide by the end of 2011/2012 fiscal year, so if we have to assume that is shipped and that Nintendo didn't make numbers up, 3DS should be well over 18 mlls right now.

BTW here's the link for any reference:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=449916&highlight=nintendo+2011+financial+report

I fixed it just after posting it, since I had to type it I just missed a 9, but it's working now.

Edit: Nevermind, I stand corrected, I mistook software and hardware sales, btw I though Nintendo claimed to have reached 15 mlls 3DS worldwide, although I cannot find the source right now.

At the end of 2011 they had shipped 15.03 million 3DS.

Jokeropia

I expect 3DS to be #1 on hardware sales [in the upcoming 2-3 years] since that was the context of the discussion. (It won't be able to compete with established platforms on software sales for a while as it obviously still way behind in LTD installed base.) It didn't manage this last year because it performed quite poorly up until the pricedrop and release of significant games, but the turnaround was extraordinary and it was the top system during the holidays.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

Spiegel

Don't think it was already reported - if yes sorry - but the Figaro - a well known French newspaper - posted yesterday an article about Vita launch : only 42k sold in France for the first week, 2x less than the PSP. 250k total for the biggest European markets also said the article. > http://www.lefigaro.fr/jeux-video/2...debuts-difficiles-pour-la-ps-vita-de-sony.php

Despite Sony’s announcement that there are 1.2 million PS Vitas in the US and Europe

Great journalism right there.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
3DS did good numbers in November and December thanks to Mario 3D + Kart 7 + low price but looking at this years charts and the January NPD numbers, it doesn't seem like it is doing that great now.

Well, also in Novembre/December in the charts there was just MK7 and ML3D, and the HW was the best selling all over Europe during Xmas period.
Ok, Xmas is the most positive Nintendo console moment for the year, it's true.
But for example now we have not only MK and ML but also Mario&Sonic charting all over Europe, so...
That said, I don't know how 3DS is perfoming under an HW point of view here in Europe.
The only data we have are very positive, so far, for all the different countries. Probably we'll have other data within the end of March.
My impression is that it's performing better in PAL than US, especially due to X360 great perfomance in the US (intead in PAL the situation is more mixed)

It's interesting that you responded to my post like that and not the post I was quoting.

Well i don´t consider Europe Sony land, but your prediction about the 3DS being the number 1 system in Europe is funny. It might happen or it might not happen, the way you said that made it the 3DS becoming number 1 system in Europe is an absolute.

BKK

Don't think it was already reported - if yes sorry - but the Figaro - a well known French newspaper - posted yesterday an article about Vita launch : only 42k sold in France for the first week, 2x less than the PSP. 250k total for the biggest European markets also said the article. > http://www.lefigaro.fr/jeux-video/2...debuts-difficiles-pour-la-ps-vita-de-sony.php

They don't give a source though; GfK, Sony, banned site? As they also give a figure for Europe as a whole I was suspicious that it may be the latter. I checked and it didn't match, but they are notorious for changing their figures after conflicting data comes out, so it's possible it has been changed since Sony announced their sales, or multiple UK figures were reported.

Jokeropia

Well i don´t consider Europe Sony land, but your prediction about the 3DS being the number 1 system in Europe is funny. It might happen or it might not happen, the way you said that made it the 3DS becoming number 1 system in Europe is an absolute.
If you want something more straightforward, I think it is more likely to happen than Europe being Sonyland (which it certainly was during the PS2 generation) again.

DrWong

They don't give a source though; GfK, Sony, banned site? As they also give a figure for Europe as a whole I was suspicious that it may be the latter. I checked and it didn't match, but they are notorious for changing their figures after conflicting data comes out, so it's possible it has been changed since Sony announced their sales, or multiple UK figures were reported.
Right.

Top Bottom