• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paladins Open Beta Thread | PC

mcz117chief

Hello and welcome to the open beta thread for a free to play, team based, first person shooter Paladins: Champions of the realm.

Fundamentals of gameplay

In this game a group of 5 players faces off against another group of 5 to capture a single objective point in the middle of the map.

Before the match starts players can pick their loadout cards and buy buff cards. Later during the game players can spend accumulated combat currency (for performing combat tasks) to buy more buff cards or upgrade the ones they already have.

Once a point is taken the winning team becomes the attacker for the rest of the round pushing payload along predefined tracks, while the defenders try to stop them.

Any time an objective is finished the winning team is granted one point (one point for capture, one point for pushing the payload into the enemy team and one point for preventing the enemy team from pushing the payload into the base).

If at any point a team is granted a 4th point, the team wins the game.

Matches last between 10 to 15 minutes. It is possible to finish the match considerably earlier if the battle is completely one sided.

Currency

By playing the game you will gain gold, which can be spent on loadout cards, unlocking new champions and on basic cosmetic items.

Premium currency (gems) can either be bought for money or earned through daily log in rewards (logging in 6 and 7 days in a row grants the player premium currency). These gems can be used instead of gold to purchase champions and basic cosmetics, but they can also be used to buy advanced cosmetics, the ability to change your profile name and to buy radiant chests.

Radiant chests

zGHk7Vq.png

These chests are awarded to a player each time he levels up his account. Each chest gives player 3 items which can either be cosmetics, gold or loadout cards.

Characters

Every character has two abilities assigned to their mouse buttons and another three to their keyes (Q,E and F) with the E key being the character's special ultimate manoeuvre that charges up as the player scores points (doing objectives, surviving in combat, dealing damage, healing, etc.).

Each player has to pick one character once he joins the pre-game lobby. No two players on the same team can pick the same character. Characters are divided into four roles: frontline, damage, flank and support.

Frontline

MeKQmU6.png

Frontline characters are designed to be either very durable or have the tools to make everyone around them durable.

Damage

NEqgz0t.png

Damage characters focus on dealing sustained damage down range. These characters excel at breaking tough enemies with focused fire and have the tools to survive engagements if they get into trouble.

Flank

M3bbvnM.png

Flank characters are high risk/high reward damage dealers. They have the tools to move around the battlefield quickly and deal devastating blows to the enemy's damage and support characters. Their health is low but their burst potential is huge.

Support

MzcUJTz.png

Support characters focus on healing or providing fire support and other benefits to the team. They are usually positioned in between the frontline and the damage dealers. Their sturdiness and overall survivability varies as well as their damage potential, some supports can dish out a considerable amount of damage in surprisingly short time.

Loadout Cards

The card system in the game is designed to give each player the option to tinker their characters according to their needs. Each character has a total of 16 cards that modify their skills and abilities. Each loadout must contain 5 cards and a total worth of the deck must be exactly 12 points. Each card is worth one point but can be freely upgraded by up to additional 3 points to make its total worth 4 points. Each character can have up to 6 loadouts with one slot always taken by the basic one.

qaJ49YY.jpg

Screenshots

Tq1imsg.png

fUeV1YR.png

a2YKQxC.png

QXuWICX.jpg

Further information

Where to download?
From the official website or through Steam

Is it free forever?
Yes. The game is free to play now and forever with the option to buy premium currency to skip grind or buy rare cosmetics.

Can I get some free stuff?
Yes, you can. By subscribing to Hi-Rez's social media channels you can get some free cosmetics. Click on the picture and navigate to the bottom of the page.

This game seems kind of fishy, isn't it a ripoff of...
Yes, it is a ripoff of Tetris. Here is the page that confirms it.

I played for a few hours and I am enjoying it more than It thought I would.

Ratchet Pip is really fun.

Still confused why Ying is on the Steam banner and a training dummy but not playable though.

Great OP. I've sunk hundreds of hours in other hero shooters and this one is no exception!

I played for a few hours and I am enjoying it more than It thought I would.

Ratchet Pip is really fun.

Still confused why Ying is on the Steam banner and a training dummy but not playable though.

They are adjusting her. She is a great unique character. I dunno how she'll turn out but she could create mirror images of herself and then teleport to them or make them explode. Pretty troll lol

edit apparently they're doing a stream featuring the next patch right now https://www.twitch.tv/paladinsgame (featuring ying)

Oreoleo

Game is *really* fun with friends, comparisons to other games be damned. Reminds me of Rocket League in how you can just laugh and have fun and not worry about losing or tilting or anything like that.

mcz117chief

Game is *really* fun with friends, comparisons to other games be damned. Reminds me of Rocket League in how you can just laugh and have fun and not worry about losing or tilting or anything like that.

Word, especially how short the rounds are. I will add that to the OP.

Great OP. I've sunk hundreds of hours in other hero shooters and this one is no exception!

They are adjusting her. She is a great unique character. I dunno how she'll turn out but she could create mirror images of herself and then teleport to them or make them explode. Pretty troll lol

edit apparently they're doing a stream featuring the next patch right now https://www.twitch.tv/paladinsgame (featuring ying)

Oh cool. Thanks.

This stream though lol.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Meh, I'm reinstalling, giving this another chance until I can get some human vs human rounds going to actually get an idea of the flow :p

As shameless as some of the designs in this game feel, I had a lot of fun with it. I would recommend it to someone looking for a change of pace from the other hero shooter(s).

Very nice OP! Paladins has been giving me some fun times recently, and I will continue to play it!

HiRez is currently having a stream right now detailing patch notes for the next upcoming patch: CB34. In this patch, Ying returns with a revamped healing and damage kit! The old traditional payload mode is also back. The stream is up at https://www.twitch.tv/paladinsgame[... for the stream. So...watch at your own risk?

Karak

Is this the game TB said Dunkey was paid to cover positively. His twitter was full of messages about it. Was it a joke? Looks interesting to me.

Really wish they would redo Fernando. Annoying face and voice. Kinda wish they use smite characters in this instead. game is fun but the "quirkiness' of some characters is really offputting.

From what I saw from the stream:

Ying
Support character
abilities:
create mirror image at target, this image heals friendlies
explode mirror image, makes the image chase and then explode on enemies (500 damage)
image swap, lets her swap places with a mirror image (really hard to follow when she does this, so it's a good escape and makes it extra important to kill images)
Ultimate, creates a diamond like object next to every ally that heals them over time. You can destroy the diamonds to stop the ult.

Her weapon:
It's a beam weapon that can hit 5 times in a single shot. The more hits in that single beam, there is bonus damage.

This is actually way better design than Ying was before tbh.

Payload map
Each team plays offense and defense in a payload style map. No control point. The team that gets the furthest wins. I think it is time based if there is a tie? It was a hard stream to follow since they were roleplaying on a ridiculously silly level.

I didn't catch like the first 10-15 minutes of the stream so I missed stuff.

edit:
Forgot, they also announced there will be a public test server launching within a couple days.

Paertan

Gonna try it out now =) Anyone want a referral when I sign up? Don't know what you get exactly.
Edit: Eh never mind started now.

Gonna try it out now =) Anyone want a referral when I sign up? Don't know what you get exactly.

I'll refer you, I think I need your email if you wanna pm me it.

edit:
I see your edit, no problem. I'm not even exactly sure how to refer, I was thinking under the old invite system when it was closed beta. Maybe there is an easier way without email.

edit2:
Referall link:
http://www.smitegame.com/play-for-free?ref=Ichig0Bud

spk

Payload map
Each team plays offense and defense in a payload style map. No control point. The team that gets the furthest wins. I think it is time based if there is a tie? It was a hard stream to follow since they were roleplaying on a ridiculously silly level.

Yeah I couldn't watch it at all. Any new maps coming? What's their content release schedule like?

Yeah I couldn't watch it at all. Any new maps coming? What's their content release schedule like?

There seems to be three new maps coming in the patch, and they're all for the new Payload mode.

Also, the mode itself based on deciphering the role playing is as such: It's a two round contest: On one round, one team on offense pushes the payload to an end point, and another team defends. Once the first round ends, the defending team will then switch to the offense role, and try to push the payload. Whichever team pushed the payload the furthest after both rounds end will win the game. If there's a tie(in that both teams pushed the payload to the end point), then I think the team who got it there the fastest will win.

There will be a public test server released later this week, and the official update comes next week.

Since I only caught the later half, I don't know all the details. The payload map they showed off is one that has been in the game since closed beta. It's also sorta in the game right now as a siege map. It's a kind of night time map in a city I guess. There are differences in the payload map.

I actually never liked payload because you didn't play both sides. But now you do so I am eager to try it out again.

jTi727s.jpg

My waifu :3

She has a raven so that makes her a 12 on a 10 point scale of badassness.

Cassie is best waifu. Maybe only behind Valeera.

Smilax

A game where playing support isn't as boring as attaching a hose to someone's ass! Been playing for awhile and it's a blast!

A game where playing support isn't as boring as attaching a hose to someone's ass! Been playing for awhile and it's a blast!

Oh hell yes... support is actually quite fun in this game.

Grover all the way atm. His axe throw is like a sniper shot if it lands long distance. Can 2 shot some characters.

But I wanna try out ying now.

Smilax

My best game today was playing as Pip.

Kinda silly really.

EDIT: Imgur's compression is so bad now a days.

Isn't it great though? Like, you don't feel like you have to rely on your team that much to fight back, you have a weapon and you can use it. Its better than just dancing around multiple teammates trying to heal them.

Isn't it great though? Like, you don't feel like you have to rely on your team that much to fight back, you have a weapon and you can use it. Its better than just dancing around multiple teammates trying to heal them.

Exactly. There were times frequently where in hero shooters sometimes I'll just say "Ugh, I need to pick the support because nobody else on my team will". Sometimes you just want to shoot fools, you know? The supports in Paladins can do that AND be the backbone of your team. They're great!

Heal beam has always been something that bothered me in other FPS games. Especially TF2. A little less in OW cause there is some movement skills but still a character I avoided playing like the plague.

There was another hero shooter, at least I would call it that, which was very similar to global agenda called firefall. At one point they had the heal beam in closed beta and they decided to take it out because of how unfun it was to play against someone who just auto-heals without effort. On a side note, Firefall ended up removing arena pvp, ultimately dooming the game's pvp scene imho.

In paladins, picking support doesn't feel like I am picking a class that is unskilled or a second class citizen added to the game for meta/depth reasons. They feel like well developed characters and they don't have cheesy ults to compensate for lack of offensive capabilities.

This...didn't not help me. lol. I can't view the video. Which part was clear?"

That was the Dunkey video. He pretty much said it wasn't like Overwatch while sarcastically comparing it to Overwatch the whole time. He also threw in some TF2 and Battleborn.

Karak

That was the Dunkey video. He pretty much said it wasn't like Overwatch while sarcastically comparing it to Overwatch the whole time. He also threw in some TF2 and Battleborn.

Sorry I should have been clearer. Was TB then joking in his tweets or being serious.

I am going to check it out regardless but it was just such an odd exchange and without access to it, its hard to tell if the context is joking but real, real complaint but a bit joking, or just full on buffoonery.

The game is rough around the edges right now but still fun. I really like Smite so I supported this with getting the founders pack. I believe they can mold this game into something even better.

sibarraz

Banned
I know that people like that the supports are not forced to only heal, but god I hate more when our support NEVER heals.

Pip never healed me once, and since I was the only one fighting the point it was practically a 3 vs 1

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Holy shit the purple hair chick is awesome to play as. Though I honestly want them to rip Genji off wholesale, give me shurikens.

I'm having quite a lot of fun with the game, though I have quite a lot of trouble dealing with certain match ups - such as a Barik and Ruckus combo, as well as Skye and Bombking in general...

Hope the game receives decent amount of attention!

SoldnerKei

Have been playing this for a few hours, it's quite fun even if you can tell that there is plenty of room for improvement. Card system is nice thou, also glad that at least you can get the rare skin you want rather than praying to the RNG gods til you get it.

Currently playing Cassie and Fernando, but can't wait to try out Ying, she looks pretty fun and her skills are pretty unique.

I can see how some OW players could feel about this game, but as someone who has over 100hrs in that game, I am glad this game is out there too, it's fun and people new to the genre can get into it or try it out without spending 40 bucks. It's not like you cannot play both games anyway.

Top Bottom