• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palmer Luckey announces that he has a new company

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Damn OP i hope this thread gets more attention.
He can't keep getting away with this shit

Chindogg

Yes, you should totally brush aside someone being a white nationalist and hope they succeed and put more money into more white nationalist things.

What the fuck?

Unfortunately he's the focal point of VR right now. His success will pay for many developers in VR and keep the medium as a whole afloat for some time.

He's a shit human being, but if you care about VR he's the guy who will keep it afloat. That's the only reason why he's still relevant.

Don't care about his controversy and non important stuff, just hoping he makes cool tech.

Then you've got folks like this that don't care about Luckey's indiscretions as long as VR sticks around. Much like folks that still eat at Chick Fil A.

SeanTSC

Don't care about his controversy and non important stuff, just hoping he makes cool tech.

Thread full of people not caring about Racism and showing off their privilege hard because it "doesn't matter" to them. Not surprised.

Racism isn't important guys!

With all that facebook money he could fuck off like Notch and just be a nutcase on twitter for the rest of his days but I guess good for him for still wanting to do VR stuff?

Cant say I would touch anything he is involved with though

Apocryphon

Plenty has been said about Luckey’s disgusting politics already. Can we not derail a thread with countless “go fuck yourself” posts from people that aren’t even remotely interested in VR developments? Like it or not this guy is still super involved in VR funding.

JonnyB

Banned
Personal politics aside, I can appreciate his intelligence and what he has done for the VR industry. I hope that he can continue to jumpstart new industries in tech.

I'm really excited about this. Recently I've been spending some quality time with my Oculus Rift. If I was a betting man I'd bet he is working on something special (again).

If you don't care that someone uses their money on funding white supremacist groups then that says a lot about you.

Have fun chasing shadows. I never said I didn't care about that, I just support products because they are good. Saying you wont buy a rift now because it was his brainchild doesn't help VR move forward, it doesn't help the developers who are working on it now. It's just bitterness.

Plenty has been said about Luckey’s disgusting politics already. Can we not derail a thread with countless “go fuck yourself” posts from people that aren’t even remotely interested in VR developments? Like it or not this guy is still super involved in VR funding.
Sorry, when you say and do inflammatory stuff it isn't just going to go away. This is going to stick to him the rest of his career. As it should.

His polticis dont suddenly get to be ignored because he's making some tech youre interested in. Like it or not he's always to be a piece of shit that should not be forgotten. So tough.

Alucrid

Banned

it's almost as if there's a reason why people have this distaste for these vr developments

SeanTSC

Funding White Supremacy doesn't get to be forgotten.

Plenty has been said about Luckey's disgusting politics already. Can we not derail a thread with countless ”go fuck yourself" posts from people that aren't even remotely interested in VR developments? Like it or not this guy is still super involved in VR funding.

If the first response to reading a story about Palmer Luckey isn't "Fuck this racist piece of shit", then we haven't been talking loudly enough about what a fucking racist piece of shit he is.

Forkball

Damn OP i hope this thread gets more attention.
He can't keep getting away with this shit
He's young and a near billionaire, of course he's not going to sit and do nothing forever. There are countless people in prominent positions that have done terrible and illegal things. Vote with your wallet.

Unfortunately he's the focal point of VR right now. His success will pay for many developers in VR and keep the medium as a whole afloat for some time.

He's a shit human being, but if you care about VR he's the guy who will keep it afloat. That's the only reason why he's still relevant.

Then you've got folks like this that don't care about Luckey's indiscretions as long as VR sticks around. Much like folks that still eat at Chick Fil A.
Chik-fil-a is like a gift from the gods, no other fast food can compare. Sucks if you're missing out.
"non important stuff"
Sorry, I don't let my enjoyment of a form of media be dictated by someone's views. If it's good then it's good.

Oh well what are we even discussing here? Pack it up boys, this is all non important.
We're discussing an article. About a news worthy story. People are allowed to express their personal views on the person the article is based on.

Thread full of people not caring about Racism and showing off their privilege hard because it "doesn't matter" to them. Not surprised.

Last I checked I'm not showing any sort of privilege. Quit projecting.

AU Tiger

He didn't just fall up, he freakin fell into a ten outta ten landing! Why is it so easy for crappy people to succeed?!?!?

He’s a dick but he’s a really brilliant (technologically) dick. If you’re smart enough, the people with the money will overlook the part about you being a dick because they can still profit from you.

Chik-fil-a is like a gift from the gods, no other fast food can compare. Sucks if you're missing out.

Sorry, I don't let my enjoyment of a form of media be dictated by someone's views. If it's good then it's good.

We're discussing an article. About a news worthy story. People are allowed to express their personal views on the person the article is based on.

If you consider the rise of white nationalism and the people involved in pushing it (like Palmer Luckey) to be "non-important", you are absolutely dripping in privilege.

SeanTSC

You are ABSOLUTELY showing your privilege by not giving a shit about Racism as long as you can enjoy your entertainment and pretend it doesn't happen.

Why do people still care about this guy? Beyond being an enthusiast whose Kickstarter blew up, what about him is so special that he's still seen by many as this luminary of the VR world when there are so many companies, both hardware and software, big and small, now that are out there and doing tons of interesting stuff with VR/AR, oftentimes better the Oculus Rift.

I know he's got stupid money now so he can do a whole lot with it, but beyond startups that are desperate for funding, why are any of these big companies out there even interested in him? Just because of his celebrity?

People apparently care about him only because they hate him and want to shit on him every opportunity they get. No one on GAF apparently actually cares about VR so every thread about Luckey turns into another session of "Two Minutes Hate" against him instead of any actual discussion of VR.

His Kickstarter was actually pretty important, it showed there was consumer interest in VR and an actual consumer-available prototype headset got funded, distributed to developers (including John Carmack), and resulted in an actual company which was acquired by Facebook that produced a widely available consumer-available headset. It also attracted the interest of Valve and HTC who produced a competing headset, and accelerated the slowly moving Sony project that resulted in Playstation VR. A lot of things happened because of that Kickstarter that would not have happened otherwise. These things can all be rightfully attributed to Luckey and his Kickstarter.

Apocryphon

Funding White Supremacy doesn't get to be forgotten.

I don’t want to directly give money to companies like Nestle and IBM but they are involved in so many areas that its virtually impossible.

Didn’t Luckey give money to a company that was trying to use VR to help people who suffered from severe agoraphobia or something? That sounds like worthwhile work to me and I wouldn’t want it to stop, even if some of the money came from a person who I though was vile.

Alucrid

Banned

no one said you can't enjoy what palmer luckey creates, but when you label the issues people have with him as "non important stuff" it sure says a lot about you.

This is about his tech and new company. I don't care about his politics. He can do what he wants.

I don't care for VR but I he refines it and hopefully actually gets good games to come out.

This is about his tech and new company. I don't care about his politics. He can do what he wants.

I don't care for VR but I he refines it and hopefully actually gets good games to come out.

This thread is about him trading on his name and reputation to start some new tech and VR endeavors. His name and reputation also have a lot of warts (to put it nicely). You have to take all of it. If that means people keep bringing up the abhorrent shit he's done, so be it. He put himself in that position.

RoboRy

Neo Member
quDRQcM.jpg

may as well post this again

If you consider the rise of white nationalism and the people involved in pushing it (like Palmer Luckey) to be "non-important", you are absolutely dripping in privilege.

You are ABSOLUTELY showing your privilege by not giving a shit about Racism as long as you can enjoy your entertainment and pretend it doesn't happen.
Dudes I'm not even white.

You guys are like the ones in OT who when it got rumored Joss Whedon was a fake feminist and/or adulterer people swore up and down to boycott or speak against Buffy and his other works. I could care less what anyone does in their personal life or what views they hold. If they put something out that's worthwhile and not preaching a negative view, aka Palmer and VR, it doesn't matter to me one bit what the product is.
The product all of a sudden isn't going to grow arms and inject me with ideals.

SeanTSC

You guys are like the ones in OT who when it got rumored Joss Whedon was a fake feminist and/or adulterer people swore up and down to boycott or speak against Buffy and his other works. I could care less what anyone does in their personal life or what views they hold. If they put something out that's worthwhile and not preaching a negative view, aka Palmer and VR, it doesn't matter to me one bit what the product is.

So you're okay with funding White Supremacy.

Alright then.

I don't give a fuck what you can and can't care less about. To minimize the issues surrounding Palmer as "non-important" shows small mindedness and a total lack of empathy. This thread is about Palmer Lucky. It doesn't exist if Palmer Lucky isn't Palmer Lucky AKA the guy who helped pioneer VR but also AKA the guy who funded white nationalism and election shit posting. He is all of it. You can try and separate things if you want, but don't be surprised when other people don't.

no one said you can't enjoy what palmer luckey creates, but when you label the issues people have with him as "non important stuff" it sure says a lot about you.
I acknowledge and realize some people may find it problematic or have issues with it. They may find it important to influence whether or not they can appreciate something that comes from him, non reflective of his views.

I on the other hand, find it personally not important to me in my appreciation of his stuff. That's what I meant. I don't fault others in disagreeing, and I wouldn't question why they feel it's importance. They're not right and I'm wrong and I'm not right and they're wrong.

Alucrid

Banned

shit man you can't even get your own views straight

The problem isn’t that the products he’s making might become racist, but more than he is using the profit from that work to directly fund hate groups

You might not be endorsing racism by enjoying his work, but you’re money might be used to further those racist ideals. By giving money to whatever Luckey does you have to either be comfortable with that or just not care

So you're okay with funding White Supremacy.

Alright then.
I could care less, rather I don't care where his funds for if in the end the product results in an enjoyable experience on my end. Like, I like RPGs, if he made the next VR Skyrim, I'd have a blast playing it.

I don't give a fuck what you can and can't care less about. To minimize the issues surrounding Palmer as "non-important" shows small mindedness and a total lack of empathy. This thread is about Palmer Lucky. It doesn't exist if Palmer Lucky isn't Palmer Lucky AKA the guy who helped pioneer VR but also AKA the guy who funded white nationalism and election shit posting. He is all of it. You can try and separate things if you want, but don't be surprised when other people don't.
Such is human nature and the ability to differentiate apples and oranges I'd say, at least when it comes to you. Palmer Lucky is both of those. Fact. I'm not arguing that. And I'm not faulting or surprised when others don't want to separate those. I would even go as far to say you're the close minded one as I don't have to resort to getting upset and can hold a debate without getting stirred up like you.

sneas78

Banned
Wait wait wai!!! They are talking about if you die in the matrix you die in the real world kind of thing ?!?! What?
We are not close to anything like that!
Spare me the PS9 commercial.

Such is human nature and the ability to differentiate apples and oranges I'd say, at least when it comes to you. Palmer Lucky is both of those. Fact. I'm not arguing that. And I'm not faulting or surprised when others don't want to separate those. I would even go as far to say you're the close minded one as I don't have to resort to getting upset and can hold a debate without getting stirred up like you.
That doesn't make him close minded lol

shit man you can't even get your own views straight
Is it "couldn't" then? To sum it you, I could give zero fucks.
The problem isn’t that the products he’s making might become racist, but more than he is using the profit from that work to directly fund hate groups

You might not be endorsing racism by enjoying his work, but you’re money might be used to further those racist ideals. By giving money to whatever Luckey does you have to either be comfortable with that or just not care
What if I pirate.

But seriously, like the other person called me out on, I'm not the kind of person who boycotts Chick-fil-A because of views held by corporate personnel. That is some delicious ass food.

SeanTSC

I could care less, rather I don't care where his funds for if in the end the product results in an enjoyable experience on my end. Like, I like RPGs, if he made the next VR Skyrim, I'd have a blast playing it.

So you're totally okay with Nazis then. Alright. That's probably the most open anyone has been about being racist on this forum.

Top Bottom