• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palmer Luckey announces that he has a new company

That doesn't make him close minded lol
I'd argue that he's only concentrated on what Palmer stands for NOW, not what products be was responsible for prior to the revelation of his views. Let's say, none of this had come to light, would people still be interested in purchasing his products?

hawk2025

I can only laugh at the people caping for him.

Do you know why Luckey hid his opinion and what he was funding, pretending instead to be a standard Gary Johnson libertarian?

Because Luckey knew he was funding a racist and sex offender, and he didn't care -- he only cared about the optics, so he lied. His intentions and mindset are crystal clear.

And half of you transparent-as-hell people in this thread that are whatabouting and defending him?

You know, too.

I see you.

So you're totally okay with Nazis then. Alright. That's probably the most open anyone has been about being racist on this forum.
Hell no I'm not okay or cool with Nazis.

Are you one of those people who posted in that OT thread about recognizing the levels of technology and military that Germany accomplished as incredible as, "omg Nazis"?

poodaddy

Crawl in a hole, you racist fuck!!!!

This, and if you choose to support this piece of shit knowing full well that he's a racist scum bag just because it's "good for VR" then you're as bad as he is, and I'd say that to anyone. And to think I was mildly interested in VR....this fucker has poisoned the well. Fuck VR is my new stance along with my old one of fuck Palmer Luckey, his supporters, and racism.

SeanTSC

Are you one of those people who posted in that OT thread about recognizing the levels of technology and military that Germany accomplished was incredible as, "omg Nazis"?

No, and yes you are okay with Nazis and Neo Nazis if you're okay with Palmer funding White Nationalist groups and still want to buy shit associated with him and support his companies. You do understand who and what white nationalists are and white supremacy is, yes?

I'd argue that he's only concentrated on what Palmer stands for NOW, not what products be was responsible for prior to the revelation of his views. Let's say, none of this had come to light, would people still be interested in purchasing his products?
What's the point in making dumb what if scenarios for white nationalists. Why is this a thing

I hope nobody in this thread attacking Luckey drives a Ford.

Henry Ford was well-known for his anti-Semitism. If you drive a Ford, you are supporting an anti-Semite!

Winston Churchill held strong beliefs in white supremacy and eugenics.
Like what point are you trying to make here? Are you going to say "Hey Japan were the bad guys in WWII, hope you guys don't buy Japanese video games" next? This is a fucking stupid point to make just because you like VR.

Palmer Luckey is alive right now. He has supported White Nationalists. He dates a known racist and gamergater. Holy shit. How thick headed can you be.

Are you one of those people who posted in that OT thread about recognizing the levels of technology and military that Germany accomplished as incredible as, "omg Nazis"?
You can’t say “I don’t care if this guy is funding hate groups with the money he makes off of games as long as the games are good” and then get on your high horse about Nazis

Either you oppose those views or you don’t, and if you selfishly ignore them just so you can play a video game or eat some feed, then you don’t oppose them

Izcarielo

Banned
Why do people still care about this guy? Beyond being an enthusiast whose Kickstarter blew up, what about him is so special that he's still seen by many as this luminary of the VR world when there are so many companies, both hardware and software, big and small, now that are out there and doing tons of interesting stuff with VR/AR, oftentimes better the Oculus Rift.

I know he's got stupid money now so he can do a whole lot with it, but beyond startups that are desperate for funding, why are any of these big companies out there even interested in him? Just because of his celebrity?

Idk, maybe because hes one of the founding fathers of VR and he’s very good at it?

No, and yes you are okay with Nazis and Neo Nazis if you're okay with Palmer funding White Nationalist groups and still want to buy shit associated with him and support his companies. You do understand who and what white nationalists are and white supremacy is, yes?
Uh yeah, and like I said if a product is able to be enjoyable and not reflective of their views and I have a good time playing the game, watching or reading the media, etc, that's what matters to me, the end result.

But also, what if I pirate.

I hope nobody in this thread attacking Luckey drives a Ford.

Henry Ford was well-known for his anti-Semitism. If you drive a Ford, you are supporting an anti-Semite!
Can you try and build better strawmen? You could at least use modern examples. This is especially fucking poor and lazy.

A D for effort.

L Thammy

"Your PC god Winston Churchill was also a racist!" *Smirk*

the SJWs grinds their teeth, for they know they are defeated

yes, if the circumstance was different, then things would be different
also, if the circumstance are not different, then things would not be different

There's a lot of people out there that are "TOTALLY NOT OKAY NOT COOL" with nazis, but are totally okay with giving them money for services and products that they enjoy. That's what you're espousing.

The question is whether giving a nazi money makes you okay with nazis.

You can’t say “I don’t care if this guy is funding hate groups with the money he makes off of games as long as the games are good” and then get on your high horse about Nazis

Either you oppose those views or you don’t, and if you selfishly ignore them just so you can play a video game or eat some feed, then you don’t oppose them
Well that's where me and you will have to agree to disagree. I 100% oppose his views. But that's not gonna stop me from consuming the product and either find it enjoyable or a snooze. It may stop you though, that's your choice.

I find the Unabombers Manifesto a fascinating book. Do I agree with Kaczynski's actions? Of course not.

charpunk

Racist shit head needs to crawl back into his hole. Anyone working with this ass after what happened should be ashamed.

Well that's where me and you will have to agree to disagree. I 100% oppose his views. But that's not gonna stop me from consuming the product and either find it enjoyable or a snooze. It may stop you though, that's your choice.

I find the Unabombers Manifesto a fascinating book. Do I agree with Kaczynski's actions? Of course not.
The difference is that the Unabomber isn’t receiving royalties from that book to fund more bombs

but the money you spent buying the Unabomber's Manifesto did not go into his pocket and help him bomb more places.

"Your PC god Winston Churchill was also a racist!" *Smirk*

the SJWs grinds their teeth, for they know they are defeated

yes, if the circumstance was different, then things would be different
also, if the circumstance are not different, then things would not be different
But. If his views hadn't been brought to light threads about him would be, Palmer Lucky VR guy. He's still the same person. People would be praising his advances in VR. But NOW, it's a different situation. So like I said, if he was merely the VR guy he wouldn't be seen as anything but. But knowing what we now know does indeed change views of him. Which it should.
There's a lot of people out there that are "TOTALLY NOT OKAY NOT COOL" with nazis, but are totally okay with giving them money for services and products that they enjoy. That's what you're espousing.

The question is whether giving a nazi money makes you okay with nazis.
Yeah because theres plenty of people who are able to differentiate their enjoyability of a product not based on the creator's views. Giving someone doesn't equal with supporting their views. It's merely means j want to play the game.

Also, what if I pirate.

Alucrid

Banned
But. If his views hadn't been brought to light threads about him would be, Palmer Lucky VR guy. He's still the same person. People would be praising his advances in VR. But NOW, it's a different situation. So like I said, if he was merely the VR guy he wouldn't be seen as anything but. But knowing what we now know does indeed change views of him. Which it should.

Yeah because theres plenty of people who are able to differentiate their enjoyability of a product not based on the creator's views. Giving someone doesn't equal with supporting their views. It's merely means j want to play the game.

Also, what if I pirate.

what if you didn't pirate?

L Thammy

People can only make ethical decisions on the information they have. If we had no idea Palmer Luckey was funneling money into this stuff, that would suck, but we have no reason to believe that he is. When he do know that he's funneling money into this stuff, our information changes, and so our decisions have to change in accordance with the new information. The decision that was appropriate according to one set of information is inappropriate with another set of information.

This is too obvious to qualify as common sense. Either you're trying to make a trap to use people's ethics against them or you genuinely can't figure this out. I don't know which of those people I'd rather be.

"Two different situations are two different situations" should not be a revelation to anyone.

The difference is that the Unabomber isn’t receiving royalties from that book to fund more bombs

but the money you spent buying the Unabomber's Manifesto did not go into his pocket and help him bomb more places.
True. Looks like I picked the wrong comparison. I get your POV. Like I said though, at least in my mind I'm not consuming for a person's ideals and what they stand for. I'm just looking to enjoy a form of media.

But also, what if I'm pirating 🤔

Alucrid

Banned
True. Looks like I picked the wrong comparison. I get your POV. Like I said though, at least in my mind I'm not consuming for a person's ideals and what they stand for. I'm just looking to enjoy a form of media.

you keep saying this so i'm going to assume that you pirate all your games

what if you didn't pirate?
☠️
People can only make ethical decisions on the information they have. If we had no idea Palmer Luckey was funneling money into this stuff, that would suck, but we have no reason to believe that he is. When he do know that he's funneling money into this stuff, our information changes, and so our decisions have to change in accordance with the new information.

This is too obvious to qualify as common sense. Either you're trying to make a trap to use people's ethics against them or you genuinely can't figure this out. I don't know which of those people I'd rather be.
Well there's many types of consumers. There are some who purchase products on an ethical basis. I'm not one of those. Like I said, I don't agree with the corporate businessmen of Chikfila about their views. But that's not gonna stop me from eating there. Not at all.
Yeah I'm down with that. Wouldn't mention it here though.

EDIT: Also, you really shouldn't support the person on forums and social media either. That's essentially $ in their pocket as well.
Eh, GAF lately seems to have opened up on discussions of piracy, while still frowning on people openly admitting to doing it.

On your edit, does it really? While yeah it may being more publicity in a sense it also brings more criticism which should normally result in more people becoming aware and boycotting said person.

Why do you keeping talking about piracy? And you realise you are telling everyone how selfish you are in a smug way?

you keep saying this so i'm going to assume that you pirate all your games
I don't game on PC. So sorry, your assumption would be completely wrong. Would you like to see my current backlog of games? I mainly favor RPGs and try to get all the physical LEs and CEs so yeah, pretty far from being a pirate.

But it's also called being aware of the current climate and knowing how piracy works, especially in our area.
Sorry to disappoint.

Why do you keeping talking about piracy? And you realise you are telling everyone how selfish you are in a smug way?
How am I being selfish.

And because, at the end of the day, people are always gonna find ways to pirate. And this way of obtaining puts a small note in the discussion of people purchasing something and it supporting the dev.

L Thammy

Well there's many types of consumers. There are some who purchase products on an ethical basis. I'm not one of those. Like I said, I don't agree with the corporate businessmen of Chikfila about their views. But that's not gonna stop me from eating there. Not at all.

Okay, if you don't have any morals and you admit that you don't have any morals, at least you're honest. But this

is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard, for the reasons I've outlined.

Like what point are you trying to make here? Are you going to say "Hey Japan were the bad guys in WWII, hope you guys don't buy Japanese video games" next? This is a fucking stupid point to make just because you like VR.

Palmer Luckey is alive right now. He has supported White Nationalists. He dates a known racist and gamergater. Holy shit. How thick headed can you be.

And what is the point you and the others in this thread are trying to make? Yes, Palmer Luckey is alive right now. Does this mean, according to you, that no one is allowed to like VR until after he is dead? Is VR now some kind of white nationalist neo-Nazi technology because Luckey happens to be a key figure in driving it's mass adoption?

I want to know when I'll be allowed to like VR, according to GAF. I'm older than Luckey is. I might die before he does. Am I not allowed to like VR, even to my dying breath, as long as Luckey is alive?

Squire

Banned
Have fun chasing shadows. I never said I didn't care about that, I just support products because they are good. Saying you wont buy a rift now because it was his brainchild doesn't help VR move forward, it doesn't help the developers who are working on it now. It's just bitterness.

Fuck white nationalists and fuck VR. It can all burn.

Alucrid

Banned
I don't game on PC. So sorry, your assumption would be completely wrong. Would you like to see my current backlog of games? I mainly favor RPGs and try to get all the physical LEs and CEs so yeah, pretty far from being a pirate.

But it's also called being aware of the current climate and knowing how piracy works, especially in our area.
Sorry to disappoint.

How am I being selfish.

And because, at the end of the day, people are always gonna find ways to pirate. And this way of obtaining puts a small note in the discussion of people purchasing something and it supporting the dev.

ok post a picture

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
People apparently care about him only because they hate him and want to shit on him every opportunity they get. No one on GAF apparently actually cares about VR so every thread about Luckey turns into another session of "Two Minutes Hate" against him instead of any actual discussion of VR.

His Kickstarter was actually pretty important, it showed there was consumer interest in VR and an actual consumer-available prototype headset got funded, distributed to developers (including John Carmack), and resulted in an actual company which was acquired by Facebook that produced a widely available consumer-available headset. It also attracted the interest of Valve and HTC who produced a competing headset, and accelerated the slowly moving Sony project that resulted in Playstation VR. A lot of things happened because of that Kickstarter that would not have happened otherwise. These things can all be rightfully attributed to Luckey and his Kickstarter.

Your original post is just nonsense that has nothing to do with what I asked, acting like people hating on Luckey for funding white supremacy is some trivial annoyance that derails from the real discussion of VR is pathetic and your edit is marginally relevant at best yet still does not address my question at all of why do people, ie actual companies, care about this guy today.

His initial contributions are undeniable. That's not up for debate or a secret. But it's not 2012, it's 2017. VR is a major industry now with tons of huge corporations and companies going all in on it with tons of really brilliant hardware and software engineers that have nothing to do with Luckey. In those 5 years what has Luckey done or shown that has set him apart as being especially unique seeing as his initial work was was relatively easily and quickly picked up by several other companies, and done better in many cases both in quality of product and market penetration by huge margins. So what still makes him such a special snowflake in the VR world that he's still worth listening to and working with? Especially in light of his now very public and abhorrent views and funding activities.

In the immortal words of Janet Jackson; what have you done for me lately? Aside from being a huge PR nightmare for Oculus and Facebook?

Idk, maybe because hes one of the founding fathers of VR and he's very good at it?

Very good at it how? He was an enthusiast whose Kickstarter blew up. What insights has he shown since then that make him such an interesting and unique person in the now very large and diverse VR space to care so much about? Being the first guy to the party doesn't entitle you to anything or make you special in the long run.

rudger

I draw a distinction between somebody who has terrible views and somebody who has terrible views and actively spends money promoting those views. I don't have a problem seeing a Mel Gibson movie for instance (though I shouldn't be surprised if that changes in the future). But I wouldn't want to give money to a company or product that will further enable Palmer Luckey and his ability to promote his views. It's the most basic version of capitalist theory and how it is used to promote social change.

ok post a picture
CLD0oHJ.jpg

7GtVTUq.jpg

oQHHPbU.jpg

x2843o2.jpg

Most of Neptunia games and PS3 and 360 are backlog
How old are you?
I'm guessing that's a no? Since you feel the unnecessary and pointless need to answer a question with another irrelevant question?

Stimpack

Palmer is a real weird guy. Don't care to get into arguments, as it's blatant how everyone feels, but I'm not going to sit here and act like I know anything about the kind of person he is. All I know is it'll be interesting to see what he does, hopefully.

SeanTSC

Palmer is a real weird guy. Don't care to get into arguments, as it's blatant how everyone feels, but I'm not going to sit here and act like I know anything about the kind of person he is. All I know is it'll be interesting to see what he does, hopefully.

You don't know what kind of person purposely funds white nationalist groups to spread hate speech and propaganda, really? Really really?

I find that hard to believe.

Top Bottom