• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palmer Luckey issue statement on actions on Nimble America

Trouble

Banned
Employee count is a weird barometer. Valuation is a better measure, and Facebook is neck and neck with Amazon as the 5th and 4th highest valued tech companies.

I feel the exact opposite. Valuation is a made up number based on stock price. Employee count and capital assets are much better measures of 'size' in my opinion.

But whatevs, this isn't the place for that discussion. I didn't mean to cause a mini-derail. I'm going to stop replying to anything about that now. If anyone really wants to have that discussion, make a thread or PM me.

And there it is.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=322271357881

I'm a man of my word. If you support this effort, please share this around.

Mods, if this is inappropriate to post, please let me know and I will remove it.

1469876108256.jpg

Respect!

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Which is why it is becoming increasingly disheartening to not hear a response from Facebook at this time. I'm really hoping the pages of puke Palmer has provided us with are not from Facebook PR with the hopes that this will distance themselves enough from the situation. Zuck really needs to make a clear statement, SOON, as to the actions Facebook feels it needs to take based on this mess.

That reads like him writing that statement to be honest I think once FB gets full idea of what is going on they will kick this idiot to the curve. Sad thing is I bet he won't change his ways further falling deeper into a cesspool of hate & bitterness.

Yazzees

My avatar can be classified as anime and even I find it hard to dispute this trend.

Take a look at myanimelist forum and you can see an overwhelming alt right with little regards on people who are outside of their groups.
"At least mildly alt-right" seems to be the base political leaning of most nerd forums nowadays. All that stormfront astroturfing paid off. It's why I don't really browse boards other than GAF anymore.

Not that there are many of them left since Reddit basically walmart'd the entire internet. But that's another rant.

Do people here think Luckey did something worthy of losing his job here? I havent been able to read too deeply because Ive been very busy.
What exactly did he do that might deserve him losing his job?

Supporting Trump (even with $10,000 donations) wasn't a definite sign that he shouldn't be part of the company (lose his job), IMO. But being questioned about it and lying his ass off with lies that were shot down in minutes is what pushed him into the 'he shouldn't be the front-man of the project' territory.

His job is basically being the image of Oculus, if he was a developer he could just shut up and develop so as to provide people the tech to do great things. But he's not, he's just a figurehead and he just turned himself, the face of a company, into a mess. Complete lack of integrity just can't be the spearhead of a company. And I don't believe he has any other relevant skills besides perhaps consulting for VR

Trogdor1123

He's lying out of his fucking ass about being Libertarian. You can see him at a Trump rally in a video posted just above.

Also all of his Twitter likes are in support of Trump, not Johnson.

Agreed, if you want to support Trump that is fine as well but dont be a dick and support hate speach. It is just terrible... I have never understood why someone would dislike someone for such silly reasons. I just dont get it... High Tower 4 life btw

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Oh I think I know what is going on. Luckey is confusing his VR life with real life. VR Palmer Luckey is supporting Gary Johnson while the real Palmer Luckey is supporting Donald Trump.

VR you so silly and confusing.

Supporting Trump (even with $10,000 donations) wasn't a definite sign that he shouldn't be part of the company (lose his job), IMO. But being questioned about it and lying his ass off with lies that were shot down in minutes is what pushed him into the 'he shouldn't be the front-man of the project' territory.

His job is basically being the image of Oculus, if he was a developer he could just shut up and develop so as to provide people the tech to do great things. But he's not, he's just a figurehead and he just turned himself, the face of a company, into a mess.
I wouldn't say it was a 10k donation to just a Trump campaign. Nimble America is something a bit more specific.

Also, can we say the 10k thing is true? Nothing else is.

wth did he email them all that. It makes no damn sense.
We don't know how the e-mail exchange started. Someone mentioned maybe it started because Daily Beast had more dirt on him than just this.

Aces&Eights

That reads like him writing that statement to be honest I think once FB gets full idea of what is going on they will kick this idiot to the curve. Sad thing is I bet he won't change his ways further falling deeper into a cesspool of hate & bitterness.

One the dye is cast....

I am eagerly awaiting Facebooks official press release on the matter. You think it would be easy for the top brass to verify the info, check his contract for decency clauses and cut him loose. Taking time means things are being debated and numbers crunched. Unfortunately, if it's determined FB could lose out financially by getting rid of him they might try and blow this all over. I'm very skeptical of companies who have massive wealth and influence to do the right thing.

Nanashrew

Banned
How the fuck has this guy flown under the radar on this for so long?

Likely has to do with him staying relatively quiet and not talking much about this stuff in the public eye. But silently he has liked all this stuff and covertly talked about this stuff under different alias like NimbleRichMan. It could be very easy to miss for a vast majority of people.

I fully believe Luckey is a Trump supporting idiot, to be clear. But the posts that Gideon Resnick are putting on twitter have to be the most half assed proof I've ever seen. Can't he post something that looks halfway real?

Armaros

The thing is Palmer Luckey being a Trump voter is not really a major news story in and of itself. Palmer Luckey funding a "deplorable" alt-right group very much is.

And trying to deflect and say he is really a Gary Johnson supporter. When all data points say something else.

Fisty

It's crazy to think back to a doe-eyed geek that wanted to bring VR to the world.

Was it all lies this whole time? Did being chosen by the Kickstarter masses, the sudden onset of severe fame, then the billions of dollars changing hands (all before 25 years old) turn him into a detached sociopath? I'd like to think the money and fame twisted him. Maybe I'm just naive.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Why the hell did he email them all that. It makes no damn sense.
Guy is known for having no filter and not knowing when to shut up. TDB probably contacted him to confirm the story they were working on and instead of giving them a no comment response he just told them everything.

Aces&Eights

And trying to deflect and say he is really a Gary Johnson supporter. When all data points say something else.

All the while his girlfriend deletes bigot posts and pictures and her Twitter, then suddenly disappears into the ether.

Maybe Facebook is just letting him hang himself before they come in and completely distance themselves from him?

Lawyers are being talked to and dollars are being discussed. Unfortunately, companies will often weigh moral judgement against market share and assets and sometimes the former is quietly brought out back and shot. I really hope Zuck makes a stand here, even it costs the company some money. He's in a position of extreme authority over there and has a ton of employees waiting to hear if their boss will support a bigot nimrod or cut ties and show that his company will not tolerate prejudice and hate.

I fully believe Luckey is a Trump supporting idiot, to be clear. But the posts that Gideon Resnick are putting on twitter have to be the most half assed proof I've ever seen. Can't he post something that looks halfway real?

Well, I mean, it's screen grabs of things you just kind of have to take at face value as being real. Sensitive information is being redacted for a good reason. I agree that the formatting leaves a little to be desired, but what do you propose he should do to prove his claim definitively to the public? Because any information dump that would allow people to perform their own forensic research probably isn't going to happen.

Top Bottom