• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palmer Luckey issue statement on actions on Nimble America

Not necessarily, but they don't have a problem supporting a white supremacist and bigot. Nuance is important.

Indeed. I tend to find that the scarier proposition, I might add. Because these are the people that do their dirt in the dark were nobody will see. Smile in your face types. I'd rather be spat in the face by someone with a Confederate Flag on their 4x4 than be subverted quietly by these types who've never had to (or bothered to) deal seriously with any matter of race/gender/identity and never will.

Darryl

Banned
Okay, so go to Nimble America's website. You will clearly see an organization that is for Trump, not for Johnson or libertarian politics.

There's evidence in broad daylight that Palmer's lying.

A lot of people in these groups that "like Trump", don't actually like him at all. They often despite him. They pretend to like him self-aware for non-political reasons, like to bait people and mock the far-left. I honestly doubt he's lying about who he's voting for just because he's liking pro-Trump content.

mrjohill

t87OTN.gif

There it is lol

Banned
Jason Rubin is a mercenary, only interested in keeping his position at a profitable venture.

I would disregard entirely.
Rubin was arrogant enough to say Crash Bandicoot 1 and 2 were better Games than Super Mario 64. He also was the CEO when THQ crashed and burned. I wouldn't expect a good response from him. He will say what he has to for job security lol.

Armaros

A lot of people in these groups that "like Trump", don't actually like him at all. They often despite him. They pretend to like him self-aware for non-political reasons, like to bait people and mock the far-left. I honestly doubt he's lying about who he's voting for just because he's liking pro-Trump content.

If you lie in private about support and still publicly support someone away with your actions and words.

He gets to say he isn't pro trump?

Codeblue

I looked, Not enough evidence. Text is BS. The only real evidence is to live through Lucky's body and live out his actions and emotions.

Why would a reputable outlet outright fabricate this story out of thin air.

In fact, ignore that for a second. Let's just look at his apology. He admitted he gave 10K to a clear Pro-Trump group. Says he voting for Gary Johnson. His Twitter activity is overwhelmingly pro-Trump.

I don't need to live his life to know he's not being honest. Why give him the benefit of the doubt when you can prove his statement is dishonest even without the author's screenshot?

Edit: Well played.

Ironic white supremacy is still white supremacy.

theWB27

It's always fun to see who these folks fall over themselves to give benefit of the doubt to, and who they don't.

I concur. Their arguments are always pretty transparent. Just waiting on the real facts instead of the direct quotes from the people he supports and dates.

Armaros

In fact, ignore that for a second. Let's just look at his apology. He admitted he gave 10K to a clear Pro-Trump group. Says he voting for Gary Johnson. His Twitter activity is overwhelmingly pro-Trump.

I don't need to live his life to know he's not being honest. Why give him the benefit of the doubt when you can prove his statement is dishonest even without the author's screenshot?

Read the second part, it's sarcasm and satirizing the people defending Palmer

Dubz

No. He's the public face of a small company that was bought by a bigger company. Facebook isn't even one of the bigger tech companies out there.
By market capitalization it is a pretty fucking huge tech company. I just looked it up and FB is a $367B company. Apple is about $600B, and the largest tech company in the world.

Mahonay

Banned

My friend, I think you are responding to a sarcastic post.

AYF 001

If you like a fascist ironically, you're still liking a fascist. A vote is a vote, no matter your motivations when you cast it.

Maybe they should speak their minds instead of hiding behinds disingenuous assertions, "just trolling", and "for the lulz"? Oh wait, they won't, because they're completely selfish, their viewpoints and desires are repulsive to anyone who isn't as self-absorbed as themselves, and they know it. Anything less is just a diversion to buy time on their way towards their id-worshipping ends.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
So... his response is a vague nonpology and an easily disproven lie?

Scratching my head at this. Is he really that dumb, or does he think we are? Or is he just following in the footsteps of Daddy Trump?
I would say... all of the above.

Usobuko

Banned
Anime twitter avatar? Check.

My avatar can be classified as anime and even I find it hard to dispute this trend.

Take a look at myanimelist forum and you can see an overwhelming alt right with little regards on people who are outside of their groups.

Trouble

Banned
By market capitalization it is a pretty fucking huge tech company. I just looked it up and FB is a $367B company. Apple is about $600B, and the largest tech company in the world.

Market cap is a completely useless measure for a stock that has never and will never pay dividends.

gafneo

Banned
I can see it now. This is to set up a sequel to the Social Network 2: Virtual Rift

Palmer Lucky played by Joana Hill

the-social-network-2nd-movie-poster.jpg

RPGam3r

The thing is FB capitalizes on tech, but makes a lions share of its profit on ads.

They're not up their with the huge tech companies like MS and Apple, but they're no small fry either with widely used client frameworks like React and purchases like Oculus.

Uhyve

"Am I following all of this correctly? PR disaster over?"

Your chain of events is slightly incorrect, those were the emails that Daily Beast originally received as their proof for their original article. They posted them to contradict Luckey's statement that he didn't make any posts under NimbleRichMan.
Sorry, when I said "PR disaster over" I was meaning to be sarcastic. Though, is my understanding of the events actually incorrect? I've been trying to follow but I think there's seriously been like a hundred pages in the last 24 hours just about this topic and I've been at work.

Just seemed like Daily Beast reported on this, and he's now essentially admitting everything unless Daily Beast is amazing at guessing things.

Oh wait, I get it, they only released those emails after the statement by Luckey? Hmmm, yeah, I still believe Daily Beast, and I don't even really recognize the name, heh. Like, it just doesn't make any sense to me that they'd start attacking Luckey on this if there wasn't any proof, dude has soo much money, he could lawsuit the hell out of them for defamation.

No. He's the public face of a small company that was bought by a bigger company. Facebook isn't even one of the bigger tech companies out there.
I'm not a huge fan of Facebook, but it's clearly a fairly significant tech company, even if we're not considering profits or share value, it clearly is when considering a societal impact... and I mean, they had Luckey peddling his wares at multiple press conferences. I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong, but this isn't one of those occasions.

Instagram is also a small company purchased by Facebook, it's still Facebook. If the founder of Instagram got all supremisty, I'd expect Facebook to get him gone aswell.

Wow the ball was in his court and he fumbled it into a shitstorm. Karma at work. It's beautiful

He's now a controversial mess and the face of a product. I'd say having him on the team certainly hurts the product. If he doesn't leave I imagine other developers will

I saw that video of him apparently at a Trump rally in the other thread (go 1:52 in on this video, https://youtu.be/oJLQMbYrAkc). Was that ever confirmed to be him?

Him being a Trump supporter is disappointing, but him using his fortune to bankroll this group is just completely unforgivable and disgusting. Love that he talks tough on Reddit and then just completely backpeddles away from it when confronted. He's just complete scum.

_Ryo_

I looked, Not enough evidence. Text is BS. The only real evidence is to live through Lucky's body and live out his actions and emotions.

What.
The.
Fuck.

Basically you're saying only Palmer can tell if he's lying or not even when there is clear evidence he is.

What's next, you are provided with video of him actually typng the post, posting it on oculus website, verbally saying "I'm nimble and I am making this post"

And your response would be "nah, thats not true, if you're not Palmer you can't know derrrr"

Fuck.
That.

Edit: nvm. Was a troll post. Hard to tell these days.

Top Bottom