• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palmer Luckey issue statement on actions on Nimble America

Banned
t87OTN.gif
Nailed it.

Cartman86

Banned
At the very least he's a hugely oblivious person. Far more likely based on his Twitter likes and girlfriend he knows exactly what he is doing. Hiding by the (unearned but somehow politically useful with young people) libertarian label is cowardly.

Alucrid

Banned
Well, he hasn't come out and said they fabricated the emails yet. but I imagine that's what's coming next since the daily beast can't take a decent screenshot.

i really don't understand why you've been such a doubting thomas this entire time.

Bookoo

Yea. First impressions are everything though. Guess they want to get them up quickly so to prevent accusations of doctoring or photoshopping these emails. It just lends credence to those that will cry fake though.

Not saying they are fake, but I mean they could have easily planned them ahead. Just because they got them out quickly doesn't mean much.

I am just wondering about the context of the emails and hopefully they release the full thread if they are trying to discredit his apology.

Foggy

It's bizarre. A whole lot of stupid and a whole lot of drugs?

Essentially lied then or lying now. Or both. I picture him like Ray Liotta on a coke bender in Goodfellas.

Tygamr

This just keeps getting better. He takes a day to release a very brief non-apology, and it turns out to be a lie. Wonder how far this is gonna go haha.

Even without the proof, I wouldn't believe him—just based on his and his girlfriend's twitters.

Wallach

So he is a libertarian supporting Gary Johnson, so he was going to donate to a fake PAC that is trying to elect Donald Trump. Also claiming he did not write the NimbleRichMan posts even after telling TheDailyBeast precisely otherwise.

Keep digging dude. This is an area you should have stolen from Valve on. The internet will fucking find you out if you are lying. Especially if you are doing it badly.

Squire

Banned
Why did he even talk to Daily Beast in the first place?

If Palmer really is the kind of shut-in mouth breather this whole event has made him out to be, he probably didn't even realize anything was wrong. TDB emailed him with a question for a story and he responded.

L Thammy

No i am not. He is trying to fix it.

The very first line of his apology shows that he apologizing for making his company look bad. There is no point where he demonstrates that he actually opposes or regrets supporting the things that people are criticizing him for supporting.

The guy isn't fixing a damn thing. He's covering his ass, and he's not doing it well.

tuxfool

Banned
This is the part that I still don't understand. He knew it would be reported on, he knew there'd be evidence, so why admit to having made any posts as that reddit account? I don't doubt the Daily Beast at this point but I'd like to see the rest of the e-mail chain to understand the full picture better.
Because he doesn't see what he is doing is bad. That apology makes it perfectly clear he is not sorry but instead the apology is for the way *other* people see what he is doing is wrong.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Cover-up is always worse than the crime. He should have just apologised and gone dark for a while until things blew over, but calling the people who reported the story liars is what will do him in.

"sorry (for hurting the community)"

"but I'm a libertarian"

"I did not have sexual relations with that account"

"fresh ideas"

His statement is like an overlapping Venn diagram of all the worst things he could've said.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
The very first line of his apology shows that he apologizing for making his company look bad. There is no point where he demonstrates that he actually opposes or regrets supporting the things that people are criticizing him for supporting.

The guy isn't fixing a damn thing. He's covering his ass, and he's not doing it well.

In the last 2 lines he says "Still, my actions were my own and do not represent Oculus. I’m sorry for the impact my actions are having on the community"

he takes the blame on himself?

Well, I guess this isn't over then. Either Palmer Luckey is lying, The Daily Beast is lying, or someone tricked The Daily Beast into thinking they were Palmer Luckey. Hopefully we don't have to wait until next week to find out.

I guess Facebook has the weekend to figure out what they're going to do about this and I hope they make the right decision. My disappointment as a kickstarter backer is immense.

This is the part that I still don't understand. He knew it would be reported on, he knew there'd be evidence, so why admit to having made any posts as that reddit account? I don't doubt the Daily Beast at this point but I'd like to see the rest of the e-mail chain to understand the full picture better.

Maybe they had prior info from a source about NimbleRichMan being Palmer Luckey? Then they went straight to him to clarify if true or not?

Machina

Banned
How many lawyers and PR reps did this have to go through before being made public? It feels like it's been filtered multiple times.

Makonero

In the last 2 lines he says "Still, my actions were my own and do not represent Oculus. I’m sorry for the impact my actions are having on the community"

he takes the blame on himself?
"I am sorry for the way people responded but not actually for anything I did"

Ozigizo

He also didn't bring up the racist shit his gf posted. I'm guessing he thinks her nuking her twitter was enough.

How is Palmer so dumb? You can't just delete shit off the internet.

Brashnir

Well, I guess this isn't over then. Either Palmer Luckey is lying, The Daily Beast is lying, or someone tricked The Daily Beast into thinking they were Palmer Luckey. Hopefully we don't have to wait until next week to find out.

We know it's not the third one, or Luckey would have been out there denying this entire story yesterday afternoon.

Top Bottom