• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Panzer Dragoon Orta - Dragooning in ~4K60

3rdman

It does but I am so cynical when it comes to companies. I figure all that is just BS anyways. They care about sales and they are getting them, by a wide margin!

BC compatibility for the PS5 isnt looking good TBH. Lets hope they have a change of heart.
Perhaps this is a discussion for another thread but I really wonder if MS will ever come out with a "new" console...meaning one that isn't compatible with their existing library. For all intents and purposes, since they control the OS and (as I understand it) developers are bound to use their tools, it seems that they are trying to make their games are both backward and forward compatible. This is already happening in a small way with X-Enhanced titles playable on original "One" and "One S" console versions.

Essentially they would be making their machine PC-like and with their background, they cold pull it off...This is purely my speculation but it would lead to a solution of something that has really irked me as a console gamer in the last 15 years: Perpetual ownership. Steam got it right and I think MS is trying to emulate it but its a solution that only works if they can be a provider for your library regardless of hardware.

Ok, Ms, you win. I'm buying an X.

EDIT: by the way, does playing it on a regular Xbox One offer some enhancements?

IIRC, it will display in 1080p at 60FPS on a regular XBox One. But honestly, the X is worth the extra scratch if you can swing it--and I'm saying this as someone that's got a 4k-capable gaming PC rig.

Buzzy42

Neo Member
Wow, this looks absolutely amazing. I still have the original as well (...somewhere... as well as all of the other Sega Xbox games, especially since the early Xbox games definitely had that strong DC feel) but I am strongly leaning to re-buying it to show support to all involved. (even at "full" price, and I almost never buy digitally that's not on sale) Thanks Sega and MS for making this happen!!

IIRC, it will display in 1080p at 60FPS on a regular XBox One. But honestly, the X is worth the extra scratch if you can swing it--and I'm saying this as someone that's got a 4k-capable gaming PC rig.

Yes, I'm buying one no matter what. Was just curious as I have other games and I'd like to try them while I wait xD

And I don't have a 4k display, for now, as I'm waiting for 4k projectors to settle on specs and prices.

RAIDEN1

Just a shame there is no definitive HD package of this game encompassing all the Saturn games..outside of emulation which DF Retro talked about...

DiscoJer

dont understand the love for this game. maybe i just dont "get" the rail shooter genre. its a thread ive wanted to make for a while now--what makes a good rail shooter? ive played most of the big ones and i simply couldnt tell you what makes this better than crimson dragon, or even something like blackwater kinect.

is it false dreamcast love? sega nostalgia? am i just an uncultured asshole? what am i missing?
anyway, dont get me wrong, i do like that its been made backwards compatible. it shows a real commitment to the more obscure elements of the xbox catalog.

I think it just really captures the feeling of being a dragon rider in a strange, alien world. It's sort of like Dune meets the Star Wars trench run, at least if Arrakis had flying dragons and not worms

cireza

My first run on the game in a few years ended like this :

wLBMyaa.jpg

Guess I've still got it ! :)

I would love to see a remake of Panzer Dragoon Zwei with the same visual quality as Orta on Xbox One. Would buy this for a high price.

Last edited:

OH-MyCar

How did I forget after all these years that PDO is one of the rare 3 or 4 games that give me motion sickness?

I'm loving every minute of it, all while
122.gif

Orta is ok.. but I really want Saga to be remade

I like Zwei more than Orta to be honest. I can't explain why, I just do

It’s cool. Most folks like them both, but Zewi was better. And it’s criminal how there isn’t a PD Saga HD port yet (or a Shining Force 3 conversion/port with all three games...or Burning Rangers, or...)

Havoc2049

Nice scores, cireza and great thread! I'm uber rusty and playing through Easy my first go around.

My Orta collection.
xuU2XsQ.jpg

IOksUXI.jpg

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
that was such a great game. I will say it needs a remaster rather than a straight port of the Saturn game

I second that.

It’s cool. Most folks like them both, but Zewi was better. And it’s criminal how there isn’t a PD Saga HD port yet (or a Shining Force 3 conversion/port with all three games...or Burning Rangers, or...)

They say the source code is lost. So the only way we can get HD remaster or port of Saga, is by remaking the whole thing from scratch. I'm not a developer so I don't know how hard or costly it would be.

Last edited:

Crew 511A

I second that.

They say the source code is lost. So the only way we can get HD remaster or port of Saga, is by remaking the whole thing from scratch. I'm not a developer so I don't know how hard or costly it would be.

I'm hoping enough people buy the digital version for Sega to see there's some demand for this franchise to be brought back.

arhra

For a game of that era, I'm not sure losing the source really matters all that much any more - if you want to run it as it was originally, emulation is probably the best option, and if you want to fully update it to modern standards, the original source probably isn't that useful anyway (beyond maybe double-checking exactly how certain mechanics worked, if you want to be completely faithful).

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I'm hoping enough people buy the digital version for Sega to see there's some demand for this franchise to be brought back.

Yep.. and it reminds me. That's what we were all saying back when Orta first came out, the whole PD community. That Orta needed to sell so we could get a new PD RPG.

But in the West(the only relevant market for Xbox OG)the game got delayed past holiday 02, to january 03. By then Microsoft's Christmas marketing was over, and a lot of the hype turned into air. But I don't think people were very into rail shooters of that level at the time.

Last edited:
My copy finally rocked up yesterday and I played through the first three stages for a brief gaming session after work. Graphically it looks beautiful with the with higher resolution and clarity on the X. There are a lot of finer details that I completely missed on my OG Xbox. There are even tiny soldiers running around on top of the first boss ship. It's great that all of that extra work put in by the dev team can finally be fully appreciated.

But my biggest shock was that I had forgotten how great of a game it really is. The boosting/slowing, three dragon forms and the leveling of each of the forms really adds a lot to the rail-shooter genre. I was having a blast as you're always busy managing one of the core gameplay elements. I think I'm going to enjoy playing it now more than I did back in the day. Oh and that soundtrack, wow. It's fantastic.

What a genuine shame that we didn't receive a follow up in the form of a Panzer Dragoon RPG on the OG Xbox.

Last edited:

cireza

Gameplay wise, this is a fantastic game with a great learning curve. Easy to play and understand, but a lot to master as well as remembering the stages and waves of enemies. Fantastic level-design overall.
There are all also many paths available. All stages have at least one major branching path. Stage 4 maybe not, now that I think about it.

This game also demonstrated, in 2003, how to make incredible boss fights, very cinematic, without ever requiring you to make QTE or whatever shit that takes you out of the game.

Last edited:
Gameplay wise, this is a fantastic game with a great learning curve. Easy to play and understand, but a lot to master as well as remembering the stages and waves of enemies. Fantastic level-design overall.
There are all also many paths available. All stages have at least one major branching path. Stage 4 maybe not, now that I think about it.

This game also demonstrated, in 2003, how to make incredible boss fights, very cinematic, without ever requiring you to make QTE or whatever shit that takes you out of the game.

I completely agree. I re-bought Panzer Dragoon Orta on the basis of nostalgia but I have been completely won over in terms of its gameplay. Even though I've played it before (~fifteen years ago !), I feel like I've stumbled onto a new hidden gem.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

They dont make'em like this any more - and I doubt they ever will again. The game design, art style, music, and gameplay is just on another level. Timeless. I'll take Orta over 99% of the stuff being released today. Better off cherishing the classics...

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia

pramod

Banned

ManaByte

Gold Member

Quasicat

saw the thread title and came to say that tbis game doesn't even come close to 4K60, it runs at 1512p60

I will be the first to admit that I don’t know much about counting lines of resolution, or even being able to really tell the difference between 1512p vs 2160. I can tell anyone though that I played Orta on original hardware (even on an HD panel), 360 BC, One X, and Series X; that being said, it runs and looks the best on current hardware and that’s enough for me.

Banned
I will be the first to admit that I don’t know much about counting lines of resolution, or even being able to really tell the difference between 1512p vs 2160. I can tell anyone though that I played Orta on original hardware (even on an HD panel), 360 BC, One X, and Series X; that being said, it runs and looks the best on current hardware and that’s enough for me.

well yeah. the reason it is that low even one One X/Series X is because the original version ran at a VERY low resolution for og Xbox standards (378p when most games ran at 480p). and all the emulator does is a blanked x16 up-res on every og Xbox game on the X machines, a blanked x4 up-res on One S and a x9 up-res on Series S

this means the max resolution a game can reach is 1920p on One X/Series X, 1440p on Series S and 960p on One S. this max resolution is reached if the game ran at 480p on og Xbox. There hasn't been a case yet where the HD output resolution was used as the baseline mode, but there were 720p games on og Xbox (and 1080i but no way they gonna use that), so if they were to use that as the bases the X machines could reach 2880p

I wonder if they will add an even higher mode on Series X down the line to better support 8K screens. they could give the games a x9 boost on each axis, which would result in a 4320p output (8K) but that would be an 81x boost... which is quite a fucking lot lol so I wouldn't count on that... but a bit higher would sure be very possible!

Last edited:

Dr Bass

This game is so good. One of my favorite games I played on the One X and it was an OG Xbox game. Just goes to show you gameplay is king. Doesn't hurt that the soundtrack is great and has such a strong atmosphere.

I really hope the Zwei remake turns out good and that we eventually get a PDS remake.

One of the people in the Zoom screenshot.

ImX1Xw5.jpg

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Great game, definitely one of then highlights of the OG Xbox. Shame it sold like poison back in the day.

cireza

I would guess re-orchestration of Panzer Dragoon Zwei soundtrack. The game is being remade by Forever Entertainment.

cireza

They still don't have any authorization from SEGA, so people should not get their hopes up.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I love the idea but they haven't even spoken with Sega yet and they're already asking for money
When did they say the plan is to get authorization/sega involved at all? Seems like just a plan for a fan remake to me. I'd never pay for such a thing myself but I believe it's far from the first patreon where devs are working on others' IP under the guise of fan works, art or prototypes, that may or may not ever be completed.

The models shown so far are better than most every other remake effort and dare I say more distinctly Panzer Dragoon-esque than even Orta seemed to me when it first released as I felt it somewhat strayed from the vision of the previous games. The environment shown looks alright, better than the Panzer Dragoon remake maybe and at least from the style here it seems it will be a near 1:1 recreation rather than an outrageous attempt to make the whole world seamless and vast and detailed like a modern open world game, letting you land anywhere with macro and micro details all over and what not, but instead an abstraction between the flight and the on foot zones etc. just like the original. Or I'm reading too much into it. I guess I'll need to see some more distinct areas to see if they do the environment art as close to what I expect/as they did their dragon models and what not which, again, are all superb recreations.

Whether that will translate to a fully playable game or not we'll see. I guess cut scenes will be the hardest thing to do but they'll likely use the original audio data at least and Saga was a rather short max ~20 hour game with plenty of gameplay/exploration inbetween anyway so more viable than the average JRPG if at all.

Last edited:

Miles708

They still don't have any authorization from SEGA, so people should not get their hopes up.

Weren't they asking form money via crowdfunding? Shouldn't they have at least a basic legal ground before doing that?

EDIT: Sorry, already asked and aswered

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I already said that completion isn't guaranteed/expected like twice in that post (not that it needs to be stated for every fan project, it goes without saying), why cut out a different part discussing the quality/potential intent of what's shown so far just to reiterate as if in disagreement?

Last edited:
Top Bottom