• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Color Splash |OT| Oh, Mario, you old flatterer, you

Thud

I'm in the last chapter. They could have done something fresh with a card based combat system, but alas they probably didn't get enough time.

TheMoon

I wouldn't be surprised if this series is dead. This failed to reach even a half million sales worldwide where the previous ones were selling around four million

That just straight up makes no sense. They don't kill a series after one lackluster entry, sales-wise (with higher critical/fan acclaim than the previous entry even). Especially since that happened on Wii U where their sales expectations are very much in check.

You know the insert Nintendo series is dead angle has reached a crazy fervour when a recurring Mario brand title of all things is getting the treatment.

I'm sure someone will throw one of the sports at me as a counter here but I hardly think say Strikers is comparable to Paper Mario.

TheMoon

You know the insert Nintendo series is dead angle has reached a crazy fervour when a recurring Mario brand title of all things is getting the treatment.

I'm sure someone will throw one of the sports at me as a counter here but I hardly think say Strikers is comparable to Paper Mario.

It's always doom o'clock.

Gvitor

Fuck Roshambo.

I like the introductions to the enemies, but it ain't worth the random factor. I'll come back to it after I finish the game, but if it keeps giving me a shitty time, I'll give up on the 100% altogether.

maxcriden

Fuck Roshambo.

I like the introductions to the enemies, but it ain't worth the random factor. I'll come back to it after I finish the game, but if it keeps giving me a shitty time, I'll give up on the 100% altogether.

Ate you using the GameFAQs guide? It helps with some of them at least.

I think it was this thread:

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/187636-paper-mario-color-splash/74429882

IIRC there was a correction to it later in the thread so I recommend reading through the whole thread. It's tedious for sure but it is doable.

Gvitor

Ate you using the GameFAQs guide? It helps with some of them at least.

I think it was this thread:

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/187636-paper-mario-color-splash/74429882

IIRC there was a correction to it later in the thread so I recommend reading through the whole thread. It's tedious for sure but it is doable.

I've been using that, yeah. The first couple of temples were okay, the Toads gave decent hints and the enemies didn't have more than one possible card. I'm on Roshambo temple 5, and the first fuzzy is random from the get-go. I supposedly have 2/3 odds in my favor, since it's bound to repeat the same card if it's a tie, but the problem is - and I don't see this mentioned anywhere - this only works in a legit Roshambo. As in, after you get a mini paint star.

If you get into the tourney using the shady Toad, it's all random. So I basically have to get a mini paint star (one that I already got works, sure), then go back there, to face a random 1st and 3rd round, and if I lose, I have to repeat that all over again or pay to face a tourney with 3 random matches.

And that's all to get a card that I won't even get to use, since it's going directly to the museum.

steveovig

I'm right at the final boss but I seem to run out of good cards. Can I go back into previous levels and come back and skip
Roy
or do I have to fight him every time I go back and forth? Looking back on it after watching a video, it appears I was at the final shot of the battle and couldn't block the paint shot from Bowser :). Is there a specific card I need to use after he
drains all his paint
or can I use any decent card?

maxcriden

I'm right at the final boss but I seem to run out of good cards. Can I go back into previous levels and come back and skip
Roy
or do I have to fight him every time I go back and forth? Looking back on it after watching a video, it appears I was at the final shot of the battle and couldn't block the paint shot from Bowser :). Is there a specific card I need to use after he
drains all his paint
or can I use any decent card?

If you leave and come back after dying to the final boss I'm 99% sure you don't fight Roy again. That final block against the final boss is an insanely small window to get right but will feel great when you do. Giant hammers from the store are your best bet for quickly whittling him down especially in that stage IIRC, if you want to get back to that part ASAP. Best of luck!

steveovig

I managed to beat it on my second try and I came prepared. I already had a ton of hammers the first time but I got rid of my crappy weak hammers and bought several bigger, unpainted ones. I also made sure I had some extra coins for some card roulettes and everything worked out.

I enjoyed the game a lot but looking back, I don't think I could have beaten it without a walkthrough. I enjoyed it more than Sticker Star and it seems like a more polished version of that game. I didn't end up getting all the achievements or even all the Luigis and I basically ignored the rock, paper, scissors levels are trying the first one. I had fun.

maxcriden

I managed to beat it on my second try and I came prepared. I already had a ton of hammers the first time but I got rid of my crappy weak hammers and bought several bigger, unpainted ones. I also made sure I had some extra coins for some card roulettes and everything worked out.

I enjoyed the game a lot but looking back, I don't think I could have beaten it without a walkthrough. I enjoyed it more than Sticker Star and it seems like a more polished version of that game. I didn't end up getting all the achievements or even all the Luigis and I basically ignored the rock, paper, scissors levels are trying the first one. I had fun.

Congrats! Glad you enjoyed it, Steve. I agree some parts are pretty oblique without a walkthrough. And, the Roshambo Temples, we did beat, but they are some serious RNG BS. (Loved the game, though, so that's a minor complaint.)

Richie

Just beat the game. 25th in my 52 Games Challenge. Wanted to leave it for later in the run, but I bet with some frienda I'd finish it before the month was over (alongside several other titles).

I'm not blind to the game's flaws, and there's several to speak of...and yet, what it does well is so polished, so clever, so charming, so hysterical, well, such tangible passion and heart waa poured on it, that its shortcomings get opaqued...just like that.

My GOTY so far, also one of my favorite games period, and who knows when I'll find another game that'll make me laugh as hard and as frequently as this gem did effortlessly. Bless the localization team involved because hot damn is this a perfect script. A true pity Sticker Star cast a shadow over this beauty, causing many to dismiss this comical masterpiece from the getgo. Ah, my heart.

Now to properly discover the earlier Paper Marios down the road.

May Huey live on!

maxcriden

Just beat the game. 25th in my 52 Games Challenge. Wanted to leave it for later in the run, but I bet with some frienda I'd finish it before the month was over (alongside several other titles).

I'm not blind to the game's flaws, and there's several to speak of...and yet, what it does well is so polished, so clever, so charming, so hysterical, well, such tangible passion and heart waa poured on it, that its shortcomings get opaqued...just like that.

My GOTY so far, also one of my favorite games period, and who knows when I'll find another game that'll make me laugh as hard and as frequently as this gem did effortlessly. Bless the localization team involved because hot damn is this a perfect script. A true pity Sticker Star cast a shadow over this beauty, causing many to dismiss this comical masterpiece from the getgo. Ah, my heart.

Now to properly discover the earlier Paper Marios down the road.

May Huey live on!

I was so pleased to read your impressions. What were your favorite areas?

Ogodei

I hate-hate-hated the final boss on this. Having to get the timing perfectly with blocking Bowser's ultimate attack was the height of horseshit. I've never liked it when games did the "the boss is weakened, finish it off!" where that was anything other than a victory lap, but the consequences of failure in that case were cruel, and redoing the fight was always a damn slog.

maxcriden

I hate-hate-hated the final boss on this. Having to get the timing perfectly with blocking Bowser's ultimate attack was the height of horseshit. I've never liked it when games did the "the boss is weakened, finish it off!" where that was anything other than a victory lap, but the consequences of failure in that case were cruel, and redoing the fight was always a damn slog.

The hitbox was cruelly tiny, I agree. We were very lucky that it didn't take us too many attempts, but the visual clues were very difficult to read and time properly and the hitbox was just ludicrous. I agree that it was very frustrating.

leroidys

Finally went back and finished this game. Really enjoyed it- every single stage is so unique and very often creative, and the visuals are amazing. The humor is pretty on point for almost the entire game as well.

The battle system kind of peters out in the latter quarter of the game. I honestly enjoyed it more in Sticker Star, because you really had to be thoughtful about managing your cards, and any battle could feel difficult if you weren't playing well.

Overall a great game, and I'm almost through my Wii U backlog now. Still have Xenoblade Chronicles X and Tokyo Mirage Sessions left though. Whew.

Finally went back and finished this game. Really enjoyed it- every single stage is so unique and very often creative, and the visuals are amazing. The humor is pretty on point for almost the entire game as well.

The battle system kind of peters out in the latter quarter of the game. I honestly enjoyed it more in Sticker Star, because you really had to be thoughtful about managing your cards, and any battle could feel difficult if you weren't playing well.

Overall a great game, and I'm almost through my Wii U backlog now. Still have Xenoblade Chronicles X and Tokyo Mirage Sessions left though. Whew.

Yeah I really enjoyed my time with it. Soundtrack and writing stuck out as major points of excellence for me. Had a ton of fun with X and TMS. Enjoy!

maxcriden

I'm never going to get that quiz game right

IIRC, the game lets you cheat into the final round if you lose but you have to pay a ton.

Yep and you have to 100% it to progress through the entirety of the game, right? But at least that one shy guy gives you the needed cards (for a price). The end of the quiz was especially brutal though. But stick with it, it will be worth it as there are some very cool parts of the game beyond the point you're at.

(And leroidys, I'm so pleased you enjoyed the game so well. I thought it was something really special.)

JonnyKong

This is the only Wii U game I missed out on so I'd love for it to come to the Switch, but I know I've more chance of making love to Tom Hardy than that happening :(

leroidys

Yeah I really enjoyed my time with it. Soundtrack and writing stuck out as major points of excellence for me. Had a ton of fun with X and TMS. Enjoy!

How could I forget the soundtrack! Absolutely fantastic (though I didn't particularly care for the guitar heavy tracks).

(And leroidys, I'm so pleased you enjoyed the game so well. I thought it was something really special.)

Thanks! Now I just have to finish Super Paper Mario, and then it's back to waiting for the next title.

Off topic, but I really hope that Paper Mario (or a PM rep) get into Smash Bros one of these days.

KiN0

I'm so glad to see some positive reactions to this game. I know a lot of people wanted a ttyd style paper Mario, but color splash is criminally underrated. The overworked alone is a huge step up from anything the past paper marios attempted.

maxcriden

How could I forget the soundtrack! Absolutely fantastic (though I didn't particularly care for the guitar heavy tracks).

Thanks! Now I just have to finish Super Paper Mario, and then it's back to waiting for the next title.

Off topic, but I really hope that Paper Mario (or a PM rep) get into Smash Bros one of these days.

Yeah, the OST is amazing!

How far are you into SPM? That game is really under-appreciated - seems to be a curse of the post-TTYD games - I never see anyone discussing it on here....

Blues1990

I done everything that I could to like this game, but I had given up about 50%-60% completion. None of the characters clicked with me, and I couldn't figure out why. :(

J@hranimo

Banned
Seeing this thread bumped every now and then kinda makes me wanna 100% all the paint spots in the game. Still such a surprise how good it was for me.

maxcriden

I done everything that I could to like this game, but I had given up about 50%-60% completion. None of the characters clicked with me, and I couldn't figure out why. :(

Sorry to hear it, Blues. :( Maybe SPM or one of the original PMs would be more to your liking?

Seeing this thread bumped every now and then kinda makes me wanna 100% all the paint spots in the game. Still such a surprise how good it was for me.

You definitely should! It's satisfying and occasionally frustrating in a fun way.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

My wife and kids LOVED this game. They played it more than I played BOTW, and finished it twice. On the second go around they 100% of the game, they were really proud. There were like two levels that had like a pixel of the screen that needed to be painted, and they needed a video guide to find it.

The music is SO GOOD. I stayed in the room and took naps on the couch while they were playing just so I could listen to it.

This is a really really good game. It got panned (a lot in this thread) because its not a traditional Mario RPG. It's really a beginner friendly type of game, and in a lot of ways a lot like BOTW. You use your weapons to get more powerful weapons to make you better and more efficient in battles. But there are no stat increases really, just better equipment, like BOTW.

Hold on a sec.......this game is good?
I did check this thread and the reviews near when it was released and people were saying how rubbish it was due to having to use the touchscreen for every single battle move.
Having to swipe through all your cards, paint your cards by touching them and then having to swipe the cards towards the tv every time you want to perform a move.
Can it be played with a pro controller without the gamepad gimmicks? I'm not fussed about it not being a traditional rpg i just don't want to be swiping through hundreds of cards and flicking them at my tv every single time i battle multiple times.

maxcriden

This is reminding me how amazing the manual is. I think we checked out all the spoilery sections in it after we beat the game... it was really a delight.

I did check this thread and the reviews near when it was released and people were saying how rubbish it was due to having to use the touchscreen for every single battle move.
Having to swipe through all your cards, paint your cards by touching them and then having to swipe the cards towards the tv every time you want to perform a move.
Can it be played with a pro controller without the gamepad gimmicks? I'm not fussed about it not being a traditional rpg i just don't want to be swiping through hundreds of cards and flicking them at my tv every single time i battle multiple times.

Boo*, I have been trying to tell you we have the same taste in games. You should have listened :D

You do need to use the GamePad, but there are multiple control options, including basic + buttons and advanced touch controls. Personally we preferred advanced touch controls, since though they do require you to use the touchscreen, they involve one fewer screen during battle. I also actually came to really like the satisfying swipe in battle when using the touch screen.

It is an exceptionally creative and charming Paper Mario game with some fun shades of adventure game aspects to it. If you can be okay with the battles and with treating coins as XP, you will enjoy it immensely. XP

(I'll just warn you there is one optional sidequest partially reliant on complete BS RNG. I got through it on my own, working on it here and there, since I didn't want to waste my wife's time with it. But the RNG of it was annoying at times.)

*The Boo appearances in this game are amazing

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

I don't think there's Pro support because there are small touchscreen moments sprinkled in the game.

You can set a different battle control setup where there's no swiping, no touchscreen interaction whatsoever, and all buttons. It's in the options menu. I'm kind of surprised the people complaining about the swiping didn't find it... But that's NeoGAF for you.

woopWOOP

Like others said there's one control option that allows you to use D-pad and buttons for every battle command. While it's not perfect and not all that fast, I greatly preferred it to touching the screen every dang time. Switched it on as soon as I could. If I couldn't I wonder if I'd even bother finish this game, lol

Geg

There are so many aspects of this game that I think are the best in the whole Paper Mario series, mainly the music and a lot of the writing, but personally I just couldn't bring myself to really enjoy the combat system. I just couldn't like all the card stuff.

That said, every now and then I do get like a twinge of wanting to replay it lol

You do need to use the GamePad, but there are multiple control options, including basic + buttons and advanced touch controls. Personally we preferred advanced touch controls, since though they do require you to use the touchscreen, they involve one fewer screen during battle. I also actually came to really like the satisfying swipe in battle when using the touch screen.

I don't think there's Pro support because there are small touchscreen moments sprinkled in the game.

You can set a different battle control setup where there's no swiping, no touchscreen interaction whatsoever, and all buttons. It's in the options menu. I'm kind of surprised the people complaining about the swiping didn't find it... But that's NeoGAF for you.

Thanks for the reply, i might pick this game up then.
I just want to be able to play on the tv without touchscreen stuff and without so many steps in battles.
Will return with impressions one of these days.

maxcriden

There are so many aspects of this game that I think are the best in the whole Paper Mario series, mainly the music and a lot of the writing, but personally I just couldn't bring myself to really enjoy the combat system. I just couldn't like all the card stuff.

That said, every now and then I do get like a twinge of wanting to replay it lol

The writing is really brilliant, some of the most crackling dialogue I've encountered in a game. Definitely a pinnacle of the PM games in that respect.

Thanks for the reply, i might pick this game up then.
I just want to be able to play without touchscreen stuff and without so many steps in battles.
Will return with impressions one of these days.

May as well see if you can get the physical copy on sale somehow. Hope you dig the game, man. I think you'll enjoy it.

Blues1990

Sorry to hear it, Blues. :( Maybe SPM or one of the original PMs would be more to your liking?

That's the thing. I love the first three Paper Mario games (it's SPM as my favourite, though the N64 game is incredibly charming in its own right), but no matter what I did, Colour Splash went out of its way to make me hate it.

Considering that I avoided the 3DS entry out of necessity (a combination of hearing a multitude of bad decisions the developers made, how that game sucked all the charm & whimsy that was established from the previous three games, along with introducing gameplay mechanics & reworking the core game without rhyme or reason, etc.), I went in to Colour Splash with an open mind & wanted to like it for what it attempted to do. But this is one of the few gaming experiences that made me hate the series that introduced me to turn based role-playing games.

The Violet Passage cruseship in particular was an excercise in frustration, with its awkward controls, bad delay between using the cannons/talking, and actually doing aggravating forced battles if you mess up.

The game reminding you that it's made out of paper every five minutes had taken me out of being immersed, unlike for the past games in which they will use the paper aesthetics for gameplay mechanics and will seldom use it for the occasional off-handed joke.

I didn't care for the paint bucket. I didn't give a damn for the faceless stock Mario allies & enemies that populated what is supposed to be an island away from the Mushroom Kingdom. If I wanted to face off against Bowser, I'll pop in a traditional Mario platforming game that has him front n' centre.

I also hated how the developers couldn't make their minds if they wanted to make an adventure game or a traditional RPG, and I felt the game suffered because of half-heartedly incorporating the turn-based mechanics (as a card game?) where it wasn't needed.

I dont want to come across as a Scrooge, but this game is easily one of the few times that playing a video game made me angry. I'm fine if they don't want the series to be a traditional RPG anymore, but for fucks sake, keep the stuff that made the series distinct from the platforming games in the first place.

leroidys

Yeah, the OST is amazing!

How far are you into SPM? That game is really under-appreciated - seems to be a curse of the post-TTYD games - I never see anyone discussing it on here....
I think I was on the 4th world. Maybe I'll make a LttP thread when I get back to it.

ggx2ac

I just saw this thread get bumped and remembered, "Oh yeah, there are people who didn't buy this game because there was a "rumour" that it would be coming to Switch."

Funny that.

I never did finish this game. Got stuck at the Violet passage ship trials thing and it was a complete turn off to keep doing it again.

Up until that point the game was mostly fun but I also wouldn't recommend this game easily to someone.

maxcriden

I never did finish this game. Got stuck at the Violet passage ship trials thing and it was a complete turn off to keep doing it again.

Up until that point the game was mostly fun but I also wouldn't recommend this game easily to someone.

There's a good bit of fun still to be had after that point, so if you're interested I'd definitely encourage you to give that part another go.

Flipside

I should really give this game another go. I love the aesthetics of the game but the battle system was a major disappointment for me. Already stopped playing after 2 or 3 worlds. I really want to finish the game just to see more of its visuals and writing.

Does the combat system become more fun (or at least not any worse) later on?

maxcriden

I should really give this game another go. I love the aesthetics of the game but the battle system was a major disappointment for me. Already stopped playing after 2 or 3 worlds. I really want to finish the game just to see more of its visuals and writing.

Does the combat system become more fun (or at least not any worse) later on?

I don't think it gets any worse, though there are some more obtuse adventure game-type battles throughout the game, if that was part of what bothered you.

I found it got more fun once you get into more of a groove of doing battles very quickly with the correct cards.

Plus, as you get stronger you can defeat lower level enemies without going into battle.

Completing the card museum is much trickier than it should be, though. We weren't able to do so yet.

Top Bottom