• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Color Splash |OT| Oh, Mario, you old flatterer, you

AdanVC

Goddammit. Sad to read this game is selling pretty low in Japan :( Nintendo should have advertised this game more. It's a Mario game, come on! :(

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Thanks all, so just the
Washing Machine thing card and lots and lots of hammers
. After Sticker Star's ridiculously tough final stage I was expecting a crazy gauntlet filled with lots of specific cards you needed. Other Things and the Fire/Ice flowers not worth getting then?
Pretty much. I mean, for the final boss, you might want a few multi-attack cards for a certain reason, but that's really it. MAYBE Fire/Ice flowers, but only if they're Big & you have a lot of them.

zroid

Banned
Just picked this up from the library and I've got a week with it. Don't expect to have the time to finish the game but hopefully I can get far enough to know whether I want to buy it down the road.

Just picked this up from the library and I've got a week with it. Don't expect to have the time to finish the game but hopefully I can get far enough to know whether I want to buy it down the road.

Me too, zroid.

They got two copies to spread around four towns' libraries. Thankfully a lot of people don't know about the video games so there were only three holds, including mine.

The other guy's copy is due back first, so the hold will apply to his copy and not mine, which hopefully means I'll be able to keep it for the month or so I need. I'd get on it, but need to finish up some other games that are due back sooner first, and would prefer not to return it only because the disc will be extremely dirty the next time I get it.

The above is the only reason I keep and renew library games until finished.

i like this game a lot but it has just some occasional frustrating sections that really mess with the pacing

what i'm saying is this steak business can fuck itself

Soundslike

Neo Member

Of topic, but whats the late fee or "shit I lost it" fee for games at the library?

Getting instant camera thing on snifit show was memorable...On question nr 9 i hade to leave the room before the right answers

Btw if you listen carefully you can hear the developers scream when entering fortune island.

maxcriden

Almost done with getting Star #6.

The circus intro was friggin' amazing. Granted I think some of the circus act fights have stronger enemies (like the Dino Rhinos) than they ordinarily are in the field, which I think needed a visual cue. Anyway, the intro sequence was amazing. Huey and Mario's act. Seeing the Yoshi from Dark Bloo Inn again (speaking of which, seeing the Train Shy Guy again was really well done). The Toads' adorably shocked reaction at the Green Shy Guy appearing next to them as part of the trick! That was great. Really enjoyed talking to all 50 rescue squad members also.

Green Energy Plant:
terrific level. I think I already said so above. But it is just genius. I'm glad someone upthread mentioned the recorder though because I'd thought we'd gone through all the branching paths but we'd missed that one so it was good we went back!

6/8 Roshambo Temples beaten. They are... terrible. A small blight on a big beautiful painting of the game. Glad to squint and pretend it doesn't exist. Once we beat all 8, I mean.

Enemy cards... basic cards. Is there a character or way in the game to tell which you're missing? Lots of differently colored Shy Guys.

Sombrero Guy:
really glad I found a tip online regarding how to get its card. Use a Shy Bandit card for the last hit on him and you get it. This only works in an individual encounter with Sombrero Guy mano-a-mano, though.

i like this game a lot but it has just some occasional frustrating sections that really mess with the pacing

what i'm saying is this steak business can fuck itself

The steak business is truly... well, I just think the precision required for tenderization is a bit much. Plus, the
salt and pepper shakers
we had to look up where to find. Probably the only freestanding room in the only game we'd accidentally missed at that point!

Btw if you listen carefully you can hear the developers scream when entering fortune island.

I gotta check that out. Thank you. I want to read more of the manual but there are a lot of spoilers and I'm not great at noticing the warnings. Almost got spoiled on the ending!

Kebiinu

Banned
I actually liked the steak bit, lol. Made me hungry, and it was fun figuring out exactly what it takes to tenderize perfectly. Everything else is like cooking in real life.

maxcriden

I actually liked the steak bit, lol. Made me hungry, and it was fun figuring out exactly what it takes to tenderize perfectly. Everything else is like cooking in real life.

Yeah, I should have also said, I did enjoy Tangerino Grill quite a bit overall, just was a bit brutal (for me) to get right, including the pizza business as well.

Figuring out how to cook it was great, but when you fail, you lose those Thing cards, need to go to Port Prisma to buy them, suffer through every animation when you buy them, head back to Tangerino, loading screen, enter door, loading screen, animation and talk of the VIP, pay 1000, try again, ...

Sorry, too much!

Gardex

Figuring out how to cook it was great, but when you fail, you lose those Thing cards, need to go to Port Prisma to buy them, suffer through every animation when you buy them, head back to Tangerino, loading screen, enter door, loading screen, animation and talk of the VIP, pay 1000, try again, ...

Sorry, too much!
You can buy the Thing cards from the Purple Toad right outside the Steak-room, the game even tells you this iirc

I'm also in the boat of "The steak fight was great". I really enjoy when they get creative with how you have to approach a battle

You can buy the Thing cards from the Purple Toad right outside the Steak-room, the game even tells you this iirc

I'm also in the boat of "The steak fight was great". I really enjoy when they get creative with how you have to approach a battle

Must have missed that! Thanks.

maxcriden

Minor quibbles with meat preparation aside, the creativity in boss battles is off the friggin' charts in this game. I also like in regular battles as others have mentioned ITT how satisfying it is to figure out extreme weaknesses for some of the foes, in order to get the battles accomplished quickly. For spike-tops and buzzy beetles, the double iron jump unpainted destroys a whole row of them with one card! That sort of thing feels great to figure out in the game.

Must have missed that! Thanks.

Yeah, that does help quite a bit in this sequence. And luckily once you've got the hang of any single RSB Temple (when the RPW is absent), getting 1000+ coins is a matter of minimal effort. :)

-

RockPaperWizard.jpg

BTW, the concept art for the Rock Paper Wizard in the Gallery showed a familiar face:

(And that double Toad stack is adorable.)

I couldn't quite place why it looked so familiar, but when I was browsing the Dino Rhino entry on MarioWiki today, it led me to the Albino Dinos from Paper Mario, which got me over to the Duplighost entry, which also discusses Dooplis!

190px-Doopliss.png

It's been a while indeed since we've played TTYD (and failed spectacularly at the final boss, we still need to go back and replay the whole thing and beat it -- when my wife and I played it I think it was my second time playing it but if so I don't recall if I beat it the first time). But I do vaguely recognize this cute ghost. And he does look a bit like the RPW concept art above.

Oddly, though they look quite different, he does kind of remind me a bit of Dimentio....

Sorry, too much!
Yeah THIS is the thing that bothers me the most about it. If I could just instantly repeat it when I failed it would be fine, or even if i didn't have to go through the squeezing animation every time i rebought a thing it would be fine, but it's just so arduous to go through that whole process for something so specific

oh holy shit nvm then

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Took me about 3 tries to get the steak fight down. It was a bit of a pain figuring out the exact order, but at the very least, the first time I entered battle, I got a laugh at how they changed up the traditional cooking mini-game they always include in these games.

I made it to the Green Energy Plant. I was pleasantly surprised by its gimmick, and was quite surprised it wasn't spoiled for me yet.

Sorry, too much!
While the Port Prisma step isn't required in this instance, it's a pretty good example of where the game generally goes wrong. It's really creative and charming, but unless you have all the required cards, and do what it wants on your first try, you're going to instantly fail and have to put up with a bunch of nonsense. All this needless tedious padding really distracts from the game's strengths, and leaves a sour taste in your mouth.

It says plenty that the best times I've had with the game, were when I had a backseat gamer who warned me whenever I was missing a thing.

Soundslike

Neo Member
Its weird that the battle card spin mechanic during battles only costs 10 coins. The cards shown are all worth more than 10 coins. So even if you have cards its a good idea to use it.

Chapter 4 and 5 has been good. Although i have been starting to use a walkthrough. Just because of the "oohh you forgot THAT card from 15 hours ago, now you need to go back to the second level,"

Its weird that the battle card spin mechanic during battles only costs 10 coins. The cards shown are all worth more than 10 coins. So even if you have cards its a good idea to use it.

Chapter 4 and 5 has been good. Although i have been starting to use a walkthrough. Just because of the "oohh you forgot THAT card from 15 hours ago, now you need to go back to the second level,"

You can also check the Thing cards overview. When you get a new thing and you see the previous one in the list is still empty, you missed something.

maxcriden

We got Star #6 last night so now it's time to get the remaining enemy cards that we can, thanks to a helpful GameFAQs guide, as well as
follow the Deep Cuts Toad's hint to get the rest of those.
Star #6 was an incredibly fun level and boss battle.

BTW, why didn't the path to the #7 RPW pop up?

Kinsei

Banned
We got Star #6 last night so now it's time to get the remaining enemy cards that we can, thanks to a helpful GameFAQs guide, as well as
follow the Deep Cuts Toad's hint to get the rest of those.
Star #6 was an incredibly fun level and boss battle.

BTW, why didn't the path to the #7 RPW pop up?

The last few roshambo temples require you to find secret exits in order to reach them. IIRC the path to that one is in one of the volcano levels.

maxcriden

The last few roshambo temples require you to find secret exits in order to reach them. IIRC the path to that one is in one of the volcano levels.

Thanks! That is tricky. Do you remember which one? Because I think I already got a path from a volcano level to a RSB Temple to the West of the Volcano; the only path I don't have is to an island RSB Temple in the Southeast of the map.

Are these exits different than Paint Stars exits? I've only ever had paths created by Paint Stars...but I have all the Paint Stars now.

Kinsei

Banned
Thanks! That is tricky. Do you remember which one? Because I think I already got a path from a volcano level to a RSB Temple to the West of the Volcano; the only path I don't have is to an island RSB Temple in the Southeast of the map.

Are these exits different than Paint Stars exits? I've only ever had paths created by Paint Stars...but I have all the Paint Stars now.

They are indeed paint star exits. If you have all of the mini paint stars in the game then you should have access to the roshambo temple.

maxcriden

They are indeed paint star exits. If you have all of the mini paint stars in the game then you should have access to the roshambo temple.

Thanks Kinsei. Weird then that we don't have the path to the SE Temple open and that there's no RPW currently in any Temple. :/

Damn, that final boss was like a case study in how to be as fucking obnoxious to a player as possible. Also what exactly was the reasoning behind locking the player in that level unless they either reset the game or die from Bowser? The first time I was just about to fight him, I tried to head back to town to buy more cards, since I knew I wouldn't have enough, but I was forced to fight him just to die and be able to switch levels. So ridiculous.

Anyway, aggravating final boss aside, having finished the game now, I'd say my overall impression is in the range from "decent" to "good", probably leaning more heavily to the latter. I did enjoy my time with it for the most part. Presentation and writing were off the charts. They did do a good job with giving the Toads personalities, but I still think they definitely need to drop the "all Toads" angle in any future installments. Level design was pretty consistently great, and Thing puzzles thankfully never reached the same level of aggravation as Sticker Star. Humor was on point, obviously.

Overall, I'm glad I caved in and bought it after initially writing it off completely. It managed to wash out a lot of the bad taste left behind by SS, and made me at least a bit more optimistic towards the future of the series (if there even is any... who knows with the sales). I still say the need to kill off any remaining RPG-lite mechanics if they really want to go in the action/adventure direction.

I don't see myself ever bothering to replay it, but this game was a worthwhile experience.

Also, regarding Green Energy Plant:
Definitely one of the more memorable and charming levels, but it was pretty much just a Super Paper Mario throwback? I don't know, I was expecting a little bit more after reading some the impressions on it in this thread. Don't get me wrong, it was definitely fun and I loved the SMB3 flute reference, but there's a whole game based around that kind of mechanic and level design already (and I'm pretty sure SPM even replicated the flute secret as well, though I might be wrong on that). Anyway, I look at Green Energy Plant the same way as Throwback Galaxy in Super Mario Galaxy 2-a neat little call-back to a prior game.

the enemy cards seem like a real grind honestly

i don't think i'm gonna bother. i've almost finished the other two categories but still have 40+ enemy cards :/

i got the fifth paint star last night so i'm closing in on the end. i don't know what it was about that star but the restaurant and then the boss fight really rubbed me the wrong way. i just had little to no patience for both of them. it's weird because it's really the only point of the game i've felt impatient

ombz

the enemy cards seem like a real grind honestly

i don't think i'm gonna bother. i've almost finished the other two categories but still have 40+ enemy cards :/

i got the fifth paint star last night so i'm closing in on the end. i don't know what it was about that star but the restaurant and then the boss fight really rubbed me the wrong way. i just had little to no patience for both of them. it's weird because it's really the only point of the game i've felt impatient

The enemy cards are a little annoying but
your chances of getting enemy cards after winning battles increases drastically after beating the game so I would wait until then to collect the enemy cards if you still want too
(I'm not sure if this is a spoiler or not)

Also this guy on Reddit made a good guide for enemy card locations:

https://www.reddit.com/r/papermario/comments/57miqg/where_to_find_every_enemy_card_in_color_splash/

KiN0

I beat the game a week or two ago; and after thinking about my feelings toward the game, I'm happy to say that I really enjoyed it. There were certainly annoying gameplay sections (the chain chomp, the restaurant, the game show) but for the most part, the game got a lot of things right.

The overworld was really well done; it's probably the most interesting and well designed world map the mario franchise has up to this point-barring smw. Traveling between levels was never a chore, and I especially appreciated the way the levels connected with one another. Suffice to say, I loved it, and I hope the series keeps this format going forward.

Huey was also a big plus. The absence of partners had been a detractor on this game since it was announced, but I think Huey more than made up for it. Looking back at the past games, partners pretty much fade into obscurity once their chapter is over, so having a partner who is constantly interacting with Mario and commenting on the situation was refreshing and enjoyable. If partners are ever going to make a comeback, they need to receive as much screen time and dialogue as Huey did in this game.

Characters designs were a bit of a problem. Although I eventually accepted the all toad cast, I still think it hurt the game over all-particularly in the case of important characters like the professor who really should have had a unique model.

Finished the game yesterday after about 40 hours and enjoyed every second of it. The visuals and the soundtrack are absolutely stellar. This game is easily my favorite Mario game concerning the presentation. Especially the soundtrack will stay with me for a looong time, could listen to it all day long. The writing was also superb, I've never laughed and smiled as much in a game as in Color Splash. Also kudos to the German translation team, they absolutely nailed it with the names and the dialogue. A very thoughtful translation.
And I will admit, the ending made me tear up.
Very emotional and melancholic, really didn't expect it to take a turn in this direction. The final part of the credits gave me legit goosebumps. Especially seeing Iwata's name at the end hit me really hard. Thinking this probably was the last game he was partially responsible for (except for Zelda) ;_;
All things concerned and the few minor annoyances aside (Thing cards again, but at least you had the Toad in Port Prisma to give you [extremely obvious] "hints"), easily my favorite game of 2016 and, as a passionate proponent of the series' shift from RPG to action-adventure, probably even my favorite Paper Mario game.

Am I missing out on anything substantial or worthwhile if I pass on finishing the rochambo temples and 100% colorized spots?

Like, am I missing a good ending or secret levels or something by not doing rochambo and 100% colorization?

maxcriden

Thanks Kinsei. Weird then that we don't have the path to the SE Temple open and that there's no RPW currently in any Temple. :/

BTW I'm a moron. I completely forgot we didn't get the middle Mossrock Theatre star. That did the trick. Thanks again, and sorry to have wasted your time at all. :)

I love the way the Gamepad is used to add ambient sound. The way the sounds change to match the environments as you navigate the world map, the foreground and background sounds during cutscenes, etc.

I know SFZ did this as well, what other Wii U games do something similar in terms of ambiance/"surround" sound coming from the Gamepad?

It's a cool feature and I hope it continues with Switch.

TheMoon

I love the way the Gamepad is used to add ambient sound. The way the sounds change to match the environments as you navigate the world map, the foreground and background sounds during cutscenes, etc.

I know SFZ did this as well, what other Wii U games do something similar in terms of ambiance/"surround" sound coming from the Gamepad?

It's a cool feature and I hope it continues with Switch.

ZombiU

switch won't have it because it's not a dual-screen system so the sound coming out of the speakers is all you'll get anyway. And in the dock it's covered so nothing there either.

ZombiU

switch won't have it because it's not a dual-screen system so the sound coming out of the speakers is all you'll get anyway. And in the dock it's covered so nothing there either.

Oh yeah, Zombi U. I thought that might have been one but I haven't played it in a while.

sssssszzzzz

Neo Member
I have thoroughly been enjoying Paper Mario Color Splash so far. It is absolutely the right game to counter European grey November weather. Also, the small stories you can experience in the different levels are all charming. They add character to the Mario universe, even though all of them remain lighthearted. The battle system is pretty medicore though.

Axass

Great game in its own genre, I'm really loving it. Didn't deserve any of that crap it got for not being an RPG. If only had they removed the battle system completely or enhanced it to reach the original games' level; this way it's just half-baked, not actiony enough and hasn't the depth of the turn-based system. Also cards are a chore more than anything and enemies are all just too similar.

Still I'm having a blast playing it, thanks to the amazing environments and variety of situations; but the first two Paper Mario are on another level entirely, mostly thanks to the greater complexity of their mechanics, setting and plot: this one's a more streamlined yet still enjoyable experience though.

bart64

Banned
Beat it about a week back and I'm still thinking about it--it just felt like a step forward in all the things nintendo tries to accomplish: accessibility, fun, polish, puzzles that require actual thought, and action that requires actual skill.

Really enjoyed the episodic levels, especially how they jumped back and forth between worlds. Reminded me of movies like lord of the rings where you cut form sub-plot to sub-plot and create interesting cliffhangers along the way--tricks you into caring more.

I liked that Bowser was the only boss that you really had to fight a couple times to figure him out. Usually that kind of spike happens about a third of the way through these games, but here that curve is stretched across the whole. It may be the first time I felt really threatened by a final boss.

I liked that the action commands had me missing more. It seems that the subtle changes between weapons were more effective than having diverse timings to learn. Also, neat how they incorporated an advanced tutorial into the story.

It plays really well with mixing up conventions withing the economy, where time and frustration is worked into the equation. Finding the path of least resistance requires a lot of experimentation and adjustment, and the low maximum complicates things nicely too.

As much as I hate the temples, i still appreciate that it continues the tradition of presenting an existential crisis that highlights the fundamental obsurdity of games. It's crazy how a simple game of rock paper scissors can bring out so many emotions.

Despite some of the shortcuts like the toads, everything is presented with confidence and refinement, and just has a freshness to it that's rare these days. It has me convinved that nintendo is entering the switch era on the right foot.

n64coder

Great tip. I've been trying to remember to use this tip every time. It's cool when I get a replica which gives me the opportunity to use it in battle and see what it is like. I just finished the restaurant battle which wasn't bad. I lost the first time but then you talk to the NPCs to find out what to do and it's easy.

I have 46 hours in the game and loving it.

Gang, you really weren't joking about Green Energy Plant. What a cool, cool level

I've only got two levels to go until I'm all done, so I'll probably wrap this up tomorrow night (assuming the final level isn't some crazy difficulty leap or something). I'm currently at 28.5 hours played and it really doesn't feel like I've been at it that long. What a good game.

I don't know if I'me going to go back in and finish off the Roshambo temples (unless there's a guide?) and enemy cards. Those are really the only things I think I'll be missing. Unless I've missed a few Luigi cut outs, but I probably won't go back for those either.

maxcriden

It's no problem. No time was wasted at all.

Thanks!

Gang, you really weren't joking about Green Energy Plant. What a cool, cool level

I've only got two levels to go until I'm all done, so I'll probably wrap this up tomorrow night (assuming the final level isn't some crazy difficulty leap or something). I'm currently at 28.5 hours played and it really doesn't feel like I've been at it that long. What a good game.

I don't know if I'me going to go back in and finish off the Roshambo temples (unless there's a guide?) and enemy cards. Those are really the only things I think I'll be missing. Unless I've missed a few Luigi cut outs, but I probably won't go back for those either.

There are guides for parts of Roshambo (other parts are entirely luck based as far as has been figured out), and there's an enemy card guide although drop rate increases significantly after beating the game. In the meantime, the Shy Bandit card will allow you to grab an enemy card if you use it to score the last hit on a battle.

For remaining cutouts, if there isn't already, there will soon be a mechanic to assist you with that, which will make them very fun and easy to obtain. For us, the missing cutouts were mostly those 2-to-3 packs of cards ones.

Finally beat it over the weekend. My feelings on the game remain mixed, but I'm glad I played it. I did feel a bit for Bowser.
All he did was get a colourful Pride shell, but he accidentally mixed the paints. Continuing to bop him in the face with a hammer once he turned back into himself felt needlessly mean-spirited. I guess that fit with the reason of the game's writing though.

n64coder

Got the 5th star. Enjoyed the battle with Larry. Found it to be cute how he would get his HP replenished by the Shy Guy. Great stuff so far. Don't want the game to end.

I've been using the Battle Spinner a lot so I could get a replica card. It's fun to see how it will effect the enemies that you're battling.

Ventara

Just started this game yesterday and I'm really enjoying the dialogue, among other things.

"May you stay crisp in the face of crumpling adversity." lol

Alpha_eX

I'm so bummed, I love this game and the world, but the card battles just killed it dead for me. I got stuck on the train boss and was left with only defence and health cards, I just lost the will to go back to town to buy cards just to go through the train all again.

The cards just make this game a grind, battles get in the way and over time, made me just not want to play.

I can't stress how good everything outside of the cards is, love everything but the battles, which is sadly a huge part of the game.

n64coder

I'm so bummed, I love this game and the world, but the card battles just killed it dead for me. I got stuck on the train boss and was left with only defence and health cards, I just lost the will to go back to town to buy cards just to go through the train all again.

The cards just make this game a grind, battles get in the way and over time, made me just not want to play.

Not sure why it's a grind. Their is a save block just before the boss. You go to town, get some cards you need, speak to the know-it-all guy if you need help with the boss, and then go back to the train. You'll be right next to the boss again.

I think the game is only a grind only if you're terrible at getting great/excellent attacks (in other words, your attacks do minimal damage) or you're using the wrong cards on the enemies. At no point in the game, was I ever low on battle cards except for the Colosseum when I didn't know about the invincibility star. I get plenty of cards from doing battles or finding them in the stage. You also have the option of using the battle spinner which is a good value considering you get fully painted cards.

It's one step forward, two steps back with this game for me.

Some of the writing and scenarios are incredibly clever and charming. But the whole thing where the game lets you proceed without having what you actually need to proceed is a detrimental design flaw.

I hope they figure it out for the next PM.

Alpha_eX

Not sure why it's a grind. Their is a save block just before the boss. You go to town, get some cards you need, speak to the know-it-all guy if you need help with the boss, and then go back to the train. You'll be right next to the boss again.

I think the game is only a grind only if you're terrible at getting great/excellent attacks (in other words, your attacks do minimal damage) or you're using the wrong cards on the enemies. At no point in the game, was I ever low on battle cards except for the Colosseum when I didn't know about the invincibility star. I get plenty of cards from doing battles or finding them in the stage. You also have the option of using the battle spinner which is a good value considering you get fully painted cards.

There is, but if I invest 5/10 minutes into the boss battle, I have to sit through all of that again after restarting, going to the world map, town, spending ages in the shop buying/managing cards and then going all the way back through the train level until I reach that same save point.

By the time I reach the save point, that's probably burnt a lot of cards I just picked up in scrub battles.

It's a chore.

Kebiinu

Banned
There is, but if I invest 5/10 minutes into the boss battle, I have to sit through all of that again after restarting, going to the world map, town, spending ages in the shop buying/managing cards and then going all the way back through the train level until I reach that same save point.

By the time I reach the save point, that's probably burnt a lot of cards I just picked up in scrub battles.

It's a chore.

This is false.

The scripted encounters/sequences won't happen again, and you could literally run past most if not all the enemies on the train, it's also a really short level once you did everything leading up to the boss.

You're making a big deal out of nothing, especially since the game encourages you to stop and stock up. Plus, now that you know the types of enemies in the level, you can buy cards in relation to their weakness.

It's fun, get into it!

Top Bottom