• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Color Splash |OT| Oh, Mario, you old flatterer, you

Just finished the game too, hadn't realised I'd spent 8 hours on it today! Time flew past.

Was super impressed by the pacing in the entire game, every location felt like it had a purpose and was "designed" as an actual place. The same goes for all the scenarios. I don't often feel this way about many games of this type in general, but I'm really impressed that the developers kept things fresh and meaningful throughout. It speaks volumes that the only section of game that dragged on was a pirate ship cruise.

Color Splash is something special in my eyes. Yes, it's arguably a bit flawed in places but I think its quirky ways give it character, and the level design and scenario design, and how they intertwine throughout the game, make for an adventure that really feels like an adventure. I watched the credits sequence and instantly recalled whole sections of game. It simply feels like a piece of classic Nintendo showmanship, a labour of love.

I can already tell I'll be looking back on Color Splash fondly in ten years' time.

So about the ending...
If you beat the game under certain condition, Huey will fall back into the town after staff roll?

KeRaSh

Got to the final boss fight, got annoyed and just quit the game.
I 100%ed all the other levels except the awful Roshambo tempels so I feel like I got my money's worth out of it.
The game is far from perfect but overall it was very enjoyable.

nubbe

That boss fights require a special item pisses me to no end
Combat is better that SS thanks to the multi attack on one card...
But I hate the card combat system

Kebiinu

Banned
I have five paint stars, missing one more, and man this game is excellent. I honestly think I enjoy it better than TTYD, but it's been a while since I've played it, so I might have to hold off on the comparison.

This game is just full of charm, like, wow. I enjoy the battle system now that I'm in the later half of the game, and every level is so engaging. The Sunset Express or whatever it's called, was a fantastic level.

I even enjoyed the islands and their gimmicks. This truly is a gem of a game.

One thing that I'm enjoying more as I get further into the game, is the reflex/strategy of hitting enemies before they hit you to completely avoid a battle. The further you get, the more enemies it works on, and some worlds that have quite a few enemies might not require any battling at all if you can consistently first strike them.

ymgve

One thing that I'm enjoying more as I get further into the game, is the reflex/strategy of hitting enemies before they hit you to completely avoid a battle. The further you get, the more enemies it works on, and some worlds that have quite a few enemies might not require any battling at all if you can consistently first strike them.

But it's so inconsistent when it works and when it fails. It's better to go wide around enemines and guarantee no battle, instead of hammering a goomba that turned out to be four normals and two 10-stacks.

Haganeren

I use a pow or a cheap thing card personally... (it makes them drop their coal)

Sticker Star has worse writing, boring locations and boring NPCs. It feels more like a New Super Mario Bros version of an RPG, rather than a proper Paper Mario game.

Nah, that would be Paper Jam.

At least Sticker Star have funny point & click based puzzle and a great Artistic Direction. It's not much but it's SOMETHING.

Replaying PM64 has me thinking even more kindly to Colour Spash's battle system, boy I wish I could just happily skip more encounters in 64 without cost.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Replaying PM64 has me thinking even more kindly to Colour Spash's battle system, boy I wish I could just happily skip more encounters in 64 without cost.

Yea as much love as PM64 and TTYD get, I fizzled on both way too fast due to the combat tedium.

Ogodei

Bloo Mansion screwed me up with the ghost in room 301, had to look up what to do there but i figured out everything else myself. The whole thing with Yoshi was hilarious.

bart64

Banned
What is the best way to beat a coal guy?
I had a bunch of fire hammers at that point and they worked great, the take out the first guy and burn everyone's coal at once.

This game is ending so perfectly, I got to the finale with just enough items to get a peak at a couple forms, lose all my strong cards, and lose all but 44 coins to the roulette. I would normally be mad but I'm enjoying just playing the levels, collecting missing paint spots, and even the roshambo levels (mostly because they pay so well). It's so well choreographed and paced.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
hooowwww the hell do I get past this one section of Mossrock Theater where
there's two Shy Guys on wheels on a bridge
? I feel like unless I take damage, I can't get past it & I can't seem to jump over it as well.

Kinsei

Banned
? I feel like unless I take damage, I can't get past it & I can't seem to jump over it as well.

If you can't go over then you have to go under.

You're going to smack yourself when you read the answer:

Hit the bridge from underneath with a jump

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
omg, I completely forgot about that. blarg, & to think I had to pass that damn section TWICE already. Hate the fact that it resets when you return to the stage, was hoping it'd stay completed after getting the first mini paint star.

What's a good way to earn enemy cards? Just hope that they drop one after defeating them? I know the Shy Bandit card seems to increase those chances, but I only got it once & donated it to the museum.

Painguy

Just got the game. TBH its just as bad as sticker star IMO. Played for like 4 hours. The game is just bland. Visuals are nice, but I prefer the aesthetics of the Paper Mario when everything wasn't cardboard. I immediately went back to playing Paper Mario 64. Not sure how you guys are pushing yourselves through this game.

Dmax3901

Now that the Switch is on the horizon I'm thinking of wrapping up all the Wii U games I own but haven't completed, including the likes of Bayonetta 2. I don't think I'll bother with the Yoshi or Kirby games, nor Xenoblade, but I'm tempted to pick up Paper Mario as my last Wii U purchase (assuming I end up getting Breath of the Wild for Switch).

What do you guys think? Does Colour Splash belong amongst the 'must-plays' of the Wii U?

I would buy the soundtrack.

I hope this is part of Nintendo's branching out with their ips plans, soundtracks obtainable without My Nintendo. I'll take it on iTunes too

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Got the 6th (& final?) big paint star....but what did it color in?
It went off the map & I heard Luigi, but that's it. Even the game had no idea.

Edit: UUUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH, Roshambo #7 is being a huge pain. Doesn't help the hints become completely useless if you lose because then the toads are all "lol we don't know what they'll use". What's the point of the hints if they're going to be worthless after my first attempt.

Thank god my luck seems to be super great when I actually face off the rock paper wizard since I seem to win on my first try, despite taking about 3 to 5 attempt just to get to him.

El Odio

Banned
Got the 6th (& final?) big paint star....but what did it color in?
It went off the map & I heard Luigi, but that's it. Even the game had no idea.

Edit: UUUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH, Roshambo #7 is being a huge pain. Doesn't help the hints become completely useless if you lose because then the toads are all "lol we don't know what they'll use". What's the point of the hints if they're going to be worthless after my first attempt.

Thank god my luck seems to be super great when I actually face off the rock paper wizard since I seem to win on my first try, despite taking about 3 to 5 attempt just to get to him.
Probably to prevent you from abusing the fact that the first victory gets you more than enough coins to pay to sneak your way back in.

That boss fights require a special item pisses me to no end
Combat is better that SS thanks to the multi attack on one card...
But I hate the card combat system
At least there's a hint system specifically for that in this game unlike the trial and error in Sticker Star

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I feel weirdly stuck, I got the giant chomper to chase me from the canyon dig site and I have the giant bone thing and a bubble icon with the dinosaur is on the canyon. But I went back and can't find anything to trigger there. Am I supposed to find someplace else first?

Kinsei

Banned
I feel weirdly stuck, I got the giant chomper to chase me from the canyon dig site and I have the giant bone thing and a bubble icon with the dinosaur is on the canyon. But I went back and can't find anything to trigger there. Am I supposed to find someplace else first?

Go back to
Chateau Chanterelle
and use the bone.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, OMG

So I'm about to head to Bowser's Castle & I just have a giant smile seeing what happened when I attempted to head there.
FREAKIN' LUIGI IN A GO-KART & THE MARIO KART 8 THEME PLAYS!!! AND THEN A RAINBOW ROAD 64 REMIX!!!! & Luigi jokes how Lakitu's not around to save them!

Man, this game just has great moments that make me forget about the more annoying parts.

Edit: OMG, did they just reference
Luigi's death stare from MK8
? God, Nintendo, you can be so great with your writing sometimes.

hawk2025

Can somebody explain to me the Roshambo stuff?

I cleared the first temple, and then got the first Giant Star, and sure enough got a letter saying a new boss appeared at the temple.

Does this always happen? I will have to clear SIXTEEN of these total for full completion of the game?

Even only really having to be lucky on the last round, this whole mechanic is such nonsense in this game. Who thinks rock/paper/scissors is fun in any way? :/

Kinsei

Banned
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, OMG

So I'm about to head to Bowser's Castle & I just have a giant smile seeing what happened when I attempted to head there.
FREAKIN' LUIGI IN A GO-KART & THE MARIO KART 8 THEME PLAYS!!! AND THEN A RAINBOW ROAD 64 REMIX!!!! & Luigi jokes how Lakitu's not around to save them!

Man, this game just has great moments that make me forget about the more annoying parts.

Edit: OMG, did they just reference
Luigi's death stare from MK8
? God, Nintendo, you can be so great with your writing sometimes.

There was another reference there.
If you hold down A after the two, Luigi will charge up for a boost just like in Mario Kart.

Can somebody explain to me the Roshambo stuff?

I cleared the first temple, and then got the first Giant Star, and sure enough got a letter saying a new boss appeared at the temple.

Does this always happen? I will have to clear SIXTEEN of these total for full completion of the game?

Even only really having to be lucky on the last round, this whole mechanic is such nonsense in this game. Who thinks rock/paper/scissors is fun in any way? :/

You only have to do each temple once. You don't have to go there until the wizard shows up.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
There was another reference there.
Oh man, I was tempted to try it when I saw it, but didn't for some reason. Glad they included, such a neat little touch.

....I feel like this "puzzle" in Bowser's Castle should be obvious, but I can't figure it out.
Why not just use Huey as a bucket?? I can't find anything else that I could use & I can't seem to enter the right side of the conveyor belt

Edit: -_- NEVERMIND, I had the right mindset, but because I never
push up on the d-pad to summon Huey
, I was stumped

Edit 2: I should just make the final boss easier for myself: Am I gonna need any specific Thing cards like with the other koopa kids?

Edit 3: UUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH THIS FINAL BOSS BATTLE SHOULD NOT BE THIS HARD, STOP KILLING ME WITH 100 HIT POINT ATTACKS

Having finished the game last weekend I decided to read up on its development. There's an interesting interview over at US Gamer.

I can certainly attest to this:

Risa Tabata said:
There's a developer by the name of Taro Kudo who worked on the previous game as well, and he's been basically the overall director for the story and the dialogue in this game. He's very very good at coming up with gags and jokes, but he's also very good at crafting a good story. And I think if you play the game to the end, you may actually cry at the end. We did some test plays and there really were people who cried at the end.

---

Can someone else who finished the game check out the rather superb credits theme for me? The link should timeskip. I can't remember which part of the game that musical motif is referencing -- I remember all the others but not that!

I really hope Nintendo releases the soundtrack somewhere. Doesn't need to be published on disc since it's evident the game isn't as popular as something like Splatoon. But with Club Nintendo gone and the soundtrack genuinely brilliant I hope at the very least it's released as a My Nintendo download...

Yukinari

Got to the final boss fight, got annoyed and just quit the game.
I 100%ed all the other levels except the awful Roshambo tempels so I feel like I got my money's worth out of it.
The game is far from perfect but overall it was very enjoyable.

Yeah seriously, its bad enough that they throw one final chase sequence in before you fight Bowser. The fight itself is also very mediocre and time consuming but i did it my 2nd try.

eXistor

Now that the Switch is on the horizon I'm thinking of wrapping up all the Wii U games I own but haven't completed, including the likes of Bayonetta 2. I don't think I'll bother with the Yoshi or Kirby games, nor Xenoblade, but I'm tempted to pick up Paper Mario as my last Wii U purchase (assuming I end up getting Breath of the Wild for Switch).

What do you guys think? Does Colour Splash belong amongst the 'must-plays' of the Wii U?
I certainly think so. The annoyances are there, but ultimately they're fairly minor. I consider it to be one of the better WiiU games for sure, just don't go in expecting an rpg, but rather an adventure game with lots of gags and charm.

One thing that stuck out to me about the game is how its adventure really did feel like one. That the credits sequence managed to successfully recall almost the entire game to me says it all really, I can easily think up whole scenarios and level layouts.

Yeah seriously, its bad enough that they throw one final chase sequence in before you fight Bowser. The fight itself is also very mediocre and time consuming but i did it my 2nd try.

I really enjoyed the last boss fight - it ups the ante to heart-pounding levels and is wonderfully integrated in with the plot and succeeding scenes.

Very close to 100% but at this point I just want to do the final level. This happens to me all the time in games. There are just a couple things along the way that I missed but then I find myself at the end of the game and just ran out of steam :p.

n64coder

I'm about halfway through the quest to get the second paint star. According to the WiiU game log, it appears that I put in about 19 hours. I did 100% color all of the areas and did waste a bit of time trying to find the missing 3% in Indigo Underground.

So for those who completed the game, how many hours did you put in? Did you color all of the areas? Collect all of the stickers for the museum?

Hybris

I really enjoyed the last boss fight - it ups the ante to heart-pounding levels and is wonderfully integrated in with the plot and succeeding scenes.

Yeah I think it was good that they added a boss fight that
didn't rely on a thing card gimmick. Instead you actually had to learn the timing on his moves. His moves looked really cool also.

I'm about halfway through the quest to get the second paint star. According to the WiiU game log, it appears that I put in about 19 hours. I did 100% color all of the areas and did waste a bit of time trying to find the missing 3% in Indigo Underground.

So for those who completed the game, how many hours did you put in? Did you color all of the areas? Collect all of the stickers for the museum?

I finished in 27 hours. Didn't bother getting all cutouts, roshambo temples, or color every zone. I think I ended up with 80% ish of cutouts and 92% colorization. Completely ignored the museum because why would I want to get a new card and just stick it somewhere instead of actually using it. Seems anti-fun to me. I wouldn't have ever completed the museum anyway because the combat system did not click with me at all. I was bored of it by star 2 and I avoided all combat when possible.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Finished the game last night, took me 3 attempts on the final boss (i.e. learning the timing of specific attacks & the damn 80 to 120 hit point attacks), my Wii U says it took me about 33 hours to beat the game. Almost 100%, the only thing I didn't do was donate all the enemy cards for the museum, I only had about half of them collected & didn't feel like it'd be worth the trouble. My final paint hammer count was 390.

I feel like, again, this game is SO close to being great & something I would recommend, but for every moment that I was enjoying myself, laughing at the writing, & digging the presentation, there was a battle or moment that was just annoying or made me not to want to re-experience it. Some parts had some neat ideas, but I wasn't fond of the execution (like their new take on the cooking "mini-game"). It was still a more enjoyable & memorable experience in comparison to Sticker Star & a step in the right direction, even if some things took a step back or weren't fixed (I'm still not fond of having Thing items required to win boss battles, especially when later on, you need two or even THREE in order to let you finish the fight). I can also say it seemed like the perfect length & ended a little before it started to feel like it was overstaying its welcome.

I'm still glad I got to play it, but I also have no desire to revisit this later in the future. At the very least, it's my 3rd favorite Paper Mario game, behind the first two games.

Regarding the earlier question: I had 36 hours on the clock (going off Wii U's Daily Log) after beating the game. I wasn't aiming for 100 percent, though I did take my time to enjoy the scenarios and chat to NPCs, donate the odd card to the museum for that tasty concept art and so on.

Soundslike

Neo Member
Instant death straight to start screen in a casual like game like this is a no-no

Slight spoiler
Dark boo inn and three bell rings before death, do they inform the player about this?
came to me as a surprise, nooot happy about it!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Insta-deaths were a serious annoyance, especially since the game decides to do it (semi-spoilers)
one more time RIGHT BEFORE THE FINAL DAMN BOSS

& yes, that part was annoying as well. Thankfully was able to do it on my 2nd attempt, but it was not fun when I was close to finishing it, then had to start over & repeat everything.

I'd forgotten about that in the Dark Bloo inn. You are notified of the time, but I seem to remember the game being vague about what would happen when the clock reaches 3. But it did imply a sense of urgency about the situation.

Thing is, I thought new events happened at the hotel every time the clock sounded, when it actually was just coincidental to what I was doing independently. So I ran into my doom without anticipating it...

Insta-deaths were a serious annoyance, especially since the game decides to do it (semi-spoilers)
one more time RIGHT BEFORE THE FINAL DAMN BOSS

& yes, that part was annoying as well. Thankfully was able to do it on my 2nd attempt, but it was not fun when I was close to finishing it, then had to start over & repeat everything.

Hm, there was definitely a save block before then
if you're referring to the bit where you get chased by a tidal wave of black paint
. I messed up a couple of times but didn't have to redo anything for it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, thankfully, for the most part, they were near saveblocks so there wasn't a ton of backtracking, but it's still annoying when you're kicked back to the main menu.

& yup, I had the same thought as well. I was getting the final "puzzle" completed & was trying to figure it out, then thought "hmm, maybe it's related to the clock bell??" but noopppeee was I wrong.

Top Bottom